Comical Influenza

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Comical Influenza

To the person who started the "puck moving defenseman" idea:  Congrats!  You have infected this message board with a funny virus that has been caught by many here.

I'm not sure who you are, but you should be proud of yourself.  The notion itself is ridiculous.  There are three types of defensemen:  Offensive, defensive and a combo of both.  What the heck is a puck moving defenseman, anyway?  One who makes a really good first pass?  Does this player also play defense well?  Does this player have a good shot?  Does this player have good positioning in all three zones?  The theory has run so far it's even been shortened to PMD.

We're getting threads that talk about defensemen who will be with their current teams for a very long time (Eric Johnson #1 pick overall in '06) or who will take a king's ransom to acquire (Shea Weber).  Because of you, Mr. PMD, we get to read about trades that involve a second line player who is underachieving and over priced plus a pick for another team's top young stud defenseman.

Thank you for the comical virus, sir.  You've done a great service to the rest of us who enjoy talking about actual potential hockey deals involving equal parts and also discussing real hockey terms.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Comical Influenza

LMAO !  I got it I got it and so has all of TSN's cast. 
    It is funny,  that's why sometimes I say "the-so-called-puck-moving-D "
    Basically it's a D that skates well with the puck, ,makes good crisp passes and can quarterback the PP while bringing the puck in with all those skill-sets I just mentioned.
    Just easier to say" puck moving d-man"  . 
    I'm liking your breakout though.
    Chara made his impression of a puck mover tonight on more than one occasion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chara?  The guy that gets skewered here for being an overpaid bum?  You mean the guy who played almost 27 minutes, blocked four shots, had three takeaways and only one giveaway?

He stinks.  The B's need a true PMD.

What a joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I ignore those threads on Chara.  The guy is on the ice against the best that teams brings shift after shift and game after game.  He earns his paycheck.
    My favorite line on Chara " he's never won a game 7 "  .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins paid for not having a better skating defensman in their recent loses before tonight. Phoenix is not going to part with Yandle yes those threads were a joke Maloney confirmed his laughs many times on the radio.

If Chiarelli doesn't get more mobile defenseman for the playoffs the Bruins will pay for it against coaches like Maurice, Laviolette and Martin mark it down. Julien has not solved how to teach his defensman how to breakout better from their own zone. Call it whatever you want PMD what have you. Boston's recent losses were because of back line mobility or lack there of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Comical Influenza:
    Chara?  The guy that gets skewered here for being an overpaid bum?  You mean the guy who played almost 27 minutes, blocked four shots, had three takeaways and only one giveaway? He stinks.  The B's need a true PMD. What a joke.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

But NAS you forgot that giveaway would've been a game changer if TT didn't bail the....Shoot, what's that character from the Munsters, or Adams Family they call him....OH YEA..."BIG LURCH" out. Yea, Big Z is nothing but a bum! I believe there's 7 posters under the ignore list on their feelings for Chara!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

The "puck-moving defenseman" phrase popped up a couple of years ago.  We'll see how long of a shelf life it has.  Hockey needs new buzzwords every season.  There have been several over the years, but the one that stands out to me the most is "compete level". 

Feel free to add more hockey buzzwords past and present.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

if you think a puck moving defensemen isn't valued in the new NHL without a red-line, then your ignorant.

if you don't recognize how the new rules emphasize the powerplay; and don't understand the value of a PMD on the PP, then you are ignorant.

if you don't notice the trend of teams drafting/trading for/wanting puck moving defensemen then you are ignorant.

If you don't realize what a rare commodity a PMD is then you are ignorant.

once again, NAS showing he's completely ignorant. shocker. Go back to looking up stats and talking about the CBA. Don't you have some salary cap rules to be talking about?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

The Bruins paid for not having a better skating defensman in their recent loses before tonight. Phoenix is not going to part with Yandle yes those threads were a joke Maloney confirmed his laughs many times on the radio. If Chiarelli doesn't get more mobile defenseman for the playoffs the Bruins will pay for it against coaches like Maurice, Laviolette and Martin mark it down. Julien has not solved how to teach his defensman how to breakout better from their own zone. Call it whatever you want PMD what have you. Boston's recent losses were because of back line mobility or lack there of.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Hey, didn't we have a couple of those mobile defenseman here not so long ago.
    Right now the way Horton has disappeared I kind of long for Wideman.. Watched him play a lot this year and you know the old saying " You don't know what you had until its gone "..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, OC, that's exactly what I said.

"...your ignorant."

My ignorant what?  Or did you mean "you're ignorant"?  Did you just use the wrong form of a word in the process of calling me ignorant?  You don't understand your (not you're) own language and I'm ignorant?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I like football terms.

"....that guy's got a high motor."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

yawn, 

you don't understand the game of hockey N-A-S... you have post after post of complete diarrhea-- such as this one where you attempt to criticize people for pointing out the obvious... that the Bruins need a "PMD".

How about we get another defensemen that fits the stay at home model.

p.s. My spelling errors make me sad, someone get me a xanax because I misspelled your.

I don't even have the energy to go back and edit it, I could care less

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

yawn,  you don't understand the game of hockey N-A-S... you have post after post of complete diarrhea-- such as this one where you attempt to criticize people for pointing out the obvious... that the Bruins need a "PMD". How about we get another defensemen that fits the stay at home model. p.s. My spelling errors make me sad, someone get me a xanax because I misspelled your. I don't even have the energy to go back and edit it, I could care less
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

The actual phrase, OC, is I "couldn't" care less, meaning you have the least amount of care possible.  If you, as you have said, could care less, that means that you do care somewhat.

Yes, I'm the ignorant one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

yawn,  you don't understand the game of hockey N-A-S... you have post after post of complete diarrhea-- such as this one where you attempt to criticize people for pointing out the obvious... that the Bruins need a "PMD". How about we get another defensemen that fits the stay at home model. p.s. My spelling errors make me sad, someone get me a xanax because I misspelled your. I don't even have the energy to go back and edit it, I could care less
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

And yet, you did go back and edit it anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is exactly what your post is.  Nowhere did I suggest that any of what you posted.  My post, if you had read it, was about the theory of the puck moving defenseman, and the difference between that player and other defenseman in the game.

If you know so much, maybe you can answer the questions I asked in the original post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

What the heck is a puck moving defenseman, anyway?  

One who makes a really good first pass? yes, it's often one of his best assets

Does this player also play defense well? traditionally, not as well, Mike Green is a prime example

Does this player have a good shot?  Yes, PMD are known for their offensive skill

Does this player have good positioning in all three zones? generally, the team sacrifices defense for offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Actually I thought the team didn't have to worry about sacrificing because the first pass is so good they don't have to worry about turnovers. Also, since the offence is so good, they don't worry about defence when the puck is in the offensive zone. I would never put Mike Green as a "PMD". He's a great "ODM", but a terrible "DDM". Weber, Doughty,Keith,Markov are great "PMD's" All of these guys are D-men that if that "puck movement" went south because of a bad pass? They have the ability to recover! Mike Green in his own end may as well be in the zamboni garage!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's your comeback nASS ? Go back and spell check someone because they disagree with you or show they school you when it comes to something that is obvious the Bruins will suffer down the road without a PMD. Time to walk your dog nASS seeing that you've got some PMS! Did I spell all that right ? I don't care to look because you know what I meant as you also knew what Ols meant clown!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

That's your comeback nASS ? Go back and spell check someone because they disagree with you or show they school you when it comes to something that is obvious the Bruins will suffer down the road without a PMD. Time to walk your dog nASS seeing that you've got some PMS! Did I spell all that right ? I don't care to look because you know what I meant as you also knew what Ols meant clown!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Seems like a lot of bickering going on considering the big win over Philly.And I think Nas was just commenting about  the absurdity of this new catch-phrase to describe D-men.Was Bourque a PMD?Was Coffey a PMD?But weren't they very different players?How could they both be PMD's if they're so different.Which d-men aren't PMD's or are they all(just some better than others)?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I agree with NAS, and dez also makes a good point.

On my drive home from work I heard Beers on the radio describing this team's need for a PMD.  He also went on to acknowledge that Hunwick was their best transition d-man, but was having trouble with turnovers and end zone play.  So we had a PMD, but due to deficiencies in his game and cap concerns, he had to be traded, now we need a new PMD? 

If the point is that that the B's could use an upgrade on the blue-line, count me in as someone that thinks we need a top-4 kind of guy.  If that guy can play effectively on the PP, even better, but he will need to log meaningful minutes.

If a PMD looks like Wideman or Hunwick then I will "pass".  Too many turnovers and poor end-zone play.  What happens to the team when their PMD isn't on the ice for the other 35 minutes of the game anyway?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Although I've had my disagreements with NAS, I get his original post.  The "term" PMD....and it's pop culture allure in hockey speak, has virtually blown it's relevance out of porportion.
    Yes, a defenseman who can move/carry the puck/quaterback the pp/get involved offensively without being a defensive liability would be a great acquisition.....but wouldn't he also just be considered a "really good" defenseman?  Who's gotta go(or how many) to facilitate that addition?
    Which is more important, a "scorer", a "playmaker" or a "PMD"? 
    Based on the regularity of the term....it would have to be "PMD", and rightly so, as it would be basically impossible for those other 2 positions to even evolve without that pmd.
    The underlying annoyance to me about this whole PMD thing(other than getting tired of the term) is that offence(or lack thereof) seems to lie at the feet of the defence. 
    Guess Kovalchuck's struggle has nothing to do with him at all.  He just doesn't have a good enough "pmd" behind him.  Also comforting to scratch Crosby and Ovechkin off of my B's dream list, as they wouldn't be much help either.

For the Bruins to get to the next level, they need to score more, while maintaining stingy team defense.  That's as much about team dynamic/structure/strategy as anything.  Another "really good defenseman could help, but so could other things.

With the cap situation here(like most other competitive teams), it's unlikely that a "really good defenseman" can be aquired without losing our most potent offensive threats.  It could be argued that Thomas may fetch that coveted prize, however, 2 things come to mind.  1. so far, conventional wisdom around the league,(and it changes like the wind) suggests his position isn't as important as it once was(guess everyone wants pmd's), and 2. if it weren't for him, we'd already be talking about having two top 5 picks in the draft.

It hasn't happenned regularly at all, but this team has shown it can compete with any team in the league when it chooses to.  It just has to be more consistent, and more urgent.  That's team dynamic # 1, PMD, #9.
    Savard's return should be a great help.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I ripped this PMD idea a while back.  It's a redundant term unless it means a guy like Andrew Ference - makes decent passes to move the puck, but doesn't produce an offense for it.  If it means a guy who can jump into the play and produce offense at the expense of good defense, well, we've been calling that guy an offensive defenseman since they instituted the forward pass in hockey.  If it's a guy who can make good passes, jump into the rush, hit the net with a heavy shot, and still play responsible defense in his own end...isn't that guy just a defenseman?

Basically, my theory on defenseman is that if you have an adjective in front of "defenseman", you're identifying that the guy has significant weaknesses.  An offensive defenseman is a liability in his own end (90% of the time).  A defensive defenseman couldn't complete a pass on Heidi Fleiss.  The guys who do both - Chara, Lidstrom, Weber -- all the way through Yandle -- are defensemen.  Period.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I agree with NAS, and dez also makes a good point. On my drive home from work I heard Beers on the radio describing this team's need for a PMD.  He also went on to acknowledge that Hunwick was their best transition d-man, but was having trouble with turnovers and end zone play.  So we had a PMD, but due to deficiencies in his game and cap concerns, he had to be traded, now we need a new PMD?  If the point is that that the B's could use an upgrade on the blue-line, count me in as someone that thinks we need a top-4 kind of guy.  If that guy can play effectively on the PP, even better, but he will need to log meaningful minutes. If a PMD looks like Wideman or Hunwick then I will "pass".  Too many turnovers and poor end-zone play.  What happens to the team when their PMD isn't on the ice for the other 35 minutes of the game anyway?
    Posted by Crowls2424

Good post Crowls.  The Beers quote really shows the absurdety in what he's actually saying....simply because he's caught up on this PMD bandwagon.
    Some players "see the ice" very well, however, that vision can be negated by attempting to make too many low percentage passes resulting in turnover scoring opportunities.
    While Hunwick and Wideman are both considered PMD's, which is supposedly such a great thing,(Kaberle and Greene too) all are constantly blasted for "moving the puck to the opposing teams stick" way, way too often.  These players are incomplete.  Showing unfulfilled promise in one area of their game, and definate weaknesses in their other responsibilities.  Overall, they're not as important as some think. They're mediocre pieces of the puzzle.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Bruins paid for not having a better skating defensman in their recent loses before tonight. Phoenix is not going to part with Yandle yes those threads were a joke Maloney confirmed his laughs many times on the radio. If Chiarelli doesn't get more mobile defenseman for the playoffs the Bruins will pay for it against coaches like Maurice, Laviolette and Martin mark it down. Julien has not solved how to teach his defensman how to breakout better from their own zone. Call it whatever you want PMD what have you. Boston's recent losses were because of back line mobility or lack there of.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Well, I was out watchng the game last night.  I almost replied to the argumentative thread by NAS, but your post is spot on.  The Olsonic diatribe by NAS was anticipated.  Afterall the amount of hockey information provided is that PMD should not be used as a term.  Or puck moving defensemen should not be used as a term.  Then nothing was provided in analysis typical of NAS.  He is a contrarian.  His best thread was this summer when he did an analysis of the rookie camp.  If he does that he is the best.  So, I end saying the Bs need to move the puck out of the defensive zone more fluidly.  Ahhhhh, shortened, PMD team????

Sections
Shortcuts