Compressed season impacts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Compressed season impacts

With the plan to play every second night for the next four months, a few things will be very difficult for teams to manage this year, and the relative advantages of the way different teams have been built will be amplified.  Here's a few that have got my attention.

No practice time - Following a very short camp, coaches will have almost no time at all to develop systems and create chemistry during the season.  Sounds like an advantage for a team that has played together for years under the same coach.  It will also be that much more difficult to turn around slides and bad habits or integrate young players. This will be hardest on coaches new to their teams.  I also wonder if this may be a year where talent has a bigger impact than usual (i.e. you can't cover with system play).

No rest for the... - Will older teams have a harder time?  Depth will also be essential in two ways: you can't play your top 6/top 4 into the ground or you'll burn them out by March, and you better have some capable fill-ins because even short term injuries could have a huge impact on your playoff chances.  The Bruins should be helped by the amount of time Julien can give to his bottom six forwards, but even Chara will wear down playing 30 min every two nights and they could be vulnerable if they have to ask too much of McQuaid, Johnson, Hamilton and whoever else rounds out the top 7 D.  And there isnt' much to call up from Providence in case of injuries.

2013-14 - This is going to have more than one year of impact as the Cup will likely be awarded the latest it has ever been even with a further compressed playoffs.  This offseason is looking like it may be more active than any in recent memory with buyouts and a shrinking cap (first time this has ever happened a season after the CBA).  Teams that play late into the playoffs will have a very short period to recover from a very intense grind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Compressed season impacts

Good points Book. I've been wondering how the short camp and lack of copious parctice time will impact the teams that mae significant roster changes in the offseason, like the Wild. Sure they have the pieces now, but limited time for the coaching staff to figure out how to fit hose pieces together. Squads like LA and Boston could benefit from having virtually the same team returning - little restructuring is needed in terms of figuring out pairings and lines. Could be a significant adavantage in a short season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/story/_/id/8812739/five-teams-desperate-fast-start

Five teams desperate for fast start

No team says, OK, let's just stagger around for 20 games and get it going after that, especially when likely facing a 48- or 50-game slate. But here are five teams for which a quick start is imperative for a number of reasons:

Anaheim Ducks

Coach Bruce Boudreau proved to be a shot in the arm for the listless Ducks after Randy Carlyle was dispatched 24 games into the 2011-12 season. But after a spirited charge that saw the Ducks go from 20 points out of eighth place to within four points of the final playoff berth in late February, they settled into 13th place in the Western Conference, 15 points out of a playoff berth. A strong start would do wonders for the Ducks' confidence, especially for big guys Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry -- forwards who are integral, naturally, to the Ducks' rejoining the playoff discussion.

Florida Panthers

We were on the Panthers' bandwagon in a significant way last season, given new coach Kevin Dineen and a smorgasbord of new talent acquired by general manager Dale Tallon, and the Cats rode a hot start to a shocking (for some) Southeast Division title and their first playoff appearance since 2000. If the Panthers got a little more goaltending, they would have defeated New Jersey in the first round, a closely fought series that went the full seven games. The Southeast looks to be a tough place to hang out this season, with Carolina and Tampa both showing signs of being playoff-ready, and of course perennial division leader Washington looking to avenge last season's fall from grace. A fast start is crucial to the Panthers in the standings and to reinforce to a long-slumbering fan base that they are for real.

Toronto Maple Leafs

It is the only team that has been held out of the playoffs every season since the 2004-05 lockout. The offseason created only more questions as critics continued to decry the Maple Leafs' lack of depth down the middle and the lack of NHL-caliber goaltending. If the Leafs can get out of the gate in solid fashion and build themselves a cushion, it will go a long way to ending this streak of futility.

Edmonton Oilers

When a team "earns" the first overall draft pick three straight times, you know that (A) the team should be chock-a-block with top-end young talent, and (B) you pretty much stink every season. Is this the year that top-end talent (Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Justin Schultz, Nail Yakupov) morphs into something approaching a playoff contender? The young Oilers got a good taste of AHL hockey while the lockout was sorting itself out, and players like Jordan Eberle, Hall and Schultz thrived there, piling up points at an impressive rate, so they shouldn't have as much trouble getting their sea legs under them. And with upbeat rookie coach Ralph Krueger, a fast start could see the Oilers join the postseason fray for the first time since 2006.

Dallas Stars

The Stars have missed the playoffs four straight seasons, but GM Joe Nieuwendyk is slowly building the team he wants, jettisoning Mike Ribeiro and Steve Ott in the offseason, while acquiring Derek Roy and signing free agents Ray Whitney and Jaromir Jagr to join top talent Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson. New owner Tom Gaglardi is determined to rebuild a relationship with fans, and the best way to do that is to put some W's up on the board as early as possible.

Is it almost "A" must for the small/mid-market too, not ony win, but get into the playoffs to make up for the lost revenue and survive previous early exits. Oh how I am going to love the cirucus of Burksvill Follies in Toronto.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

The Stars still have Morrow as well don't they?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Stars still have Morrow as well don't they?

[/QUOTE]

And Ryder's 35 goals

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think it really hurts a team like the Oilers. Young kids, new coach, no set system.

I'm glad to think that teams like the B's who are a vet heavy bunch who are familiar with what is expected should transition to a short camp and virtually no practice quicker than a lot of teams

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Strangely enough, this piece from SI.com on how coaches have to deal with the compressed season is interesting:

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2013/01/11/short-camp-and-schedule-will-challenge-nhl-coaches/?sct=hp_wr_a3&eref=sihp

I was particularly interested in Hitch talking to NBA coaches about what they had to change, and Bowman's response on why Detroit made the Finals in the last shortened season. 

This from McGuire, too: “What you need,” McGuire said, “is 1) really good goaltending; 2) a four-line attack; 3) Make sure you understand work-to-rest ratio as a coach and you don’t break the guys down. That’s important for maintaining the team’s collective health and avoiding injury;. 4) you can’t have a prolonged losing streak of five games or more or you’re in trouble. Remember you’re playing conference games and division games exclusively so they’re all four-point games; 5) you have to have a creative coach.

Bruins have a bit of a question on #1 (will Tuukka stay healthy, play like he did three years ago, and can Khudobin give the Bruins 12 good games?).  #2 will be a strength.  #3 should be fine with a veteran coach.  #4 is a worry - they were very streaky the last few years....  #5 - well, maybe I let bogie expand on this, but "creative" isn't a word commonly used to describe Julien.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"integrate young players"

I don't like this but there is nothing that can be done with it to short a season. Spooner, Trotman, Caron and Cross are just gonna have to wait it out a bit.

I think when we look back at Khudobin deal in years to come it will be considered as crafty as the Ference/Kobasew or Sedienberg/Recchi deals. Maybe even bigger.... 

PS. Did someone say roll 4 lines ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

question - remember the goof who got banned?  And how he was saying this schedule was cooked to benefit the Bruins?  What was his reasoning on that?  Something about playing the Jets?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Will the trade deadline be pushed back?

And why no trades yet?  I would have thought the GM's would be going nuts making all kinds of deals in these few days.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Will the trade deadline be pushed back?

And why no trades yet?  I would have thought the GM's would be going nuts making all kinds of deals in these few days.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2013/01/06/nhl_targeting_april_5_trade_deadline/?site=www

....although I've seen April 3rd as the date also.

And why no trades yet ? Brian Burke has been fired.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, but Jimmy Rutherford's still in there swingin'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Trade market may be slow, but speculation by loony Leafs fans isn't. Reading a bunch of posts elsewhere saying Nonis needs to trade for Benn - um, with what exactly?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

First round picks.  They should threaten to sign him to a huge contract, then offer to trade two first round picks and a second round pick for him....

It wouldn't make much more sense this time than it did last time.  A lot of this will depend on Carlyle, but a forward group of Connolly, Kessel, Lupul, Grabovski, van Reimsdyk, Lombardi/McArthur/Bozak has the potential to put up points.  That D is terrible, though - Phaneuf, Liles, Gardner, Komisarek, Gunnarson, Mottau?  And right now, they have Reimer and Scrivens in net.  That's a very vulnerable defense behind a group of forwards not known for dominating two-way play. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have to start an outrageous statements thread so I can look back and find which bonehead said that Reimer was here to stay as a top tier NHL keeper

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have to start an outrageous statements thread so I can look back and find which bonehead said that Reimer was here to stay as a top tier NHL keeper

[/QUOTE]

Um........it was Brian Burke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Apparently another impact is that there isn't much of a tryout element to these camps.  Fluto's basically said Bourque will break camp with the big club vs. the Rangers.  Apparently Hamilton will get what Seguin didn't - regular PP time as a rookie.

Oh, and before I forget, notice Julien referring to Seguin as "Siggy"?

Only a matter of time before Siggy Stardust became a phenomenon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/01/bruins_tune_up_2.html

One thing you have to look out for right away is sensitive hamstrings or groin strains. I'm not sure the reason why Peverley is not pacticing but with all the sudden starting n stopping there most certainly will be some tweaks.

@NHLBruins

Coach postpractice presser under way... CJ said Peverley is good to go tonight (wasn't on the ice for AM practice).^CS

Looks like Peverley is good to go but I always fear these types of things. Camp is quick, I mean Saturday is coming up so fast. Hope Bruins are getting into the awful cold tub and stretching like crazy (sure the are). I have a feeling NHL training rooms will be filling up quickly. Be ready Providence!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Be ready Providence!

[/QUOTE]

Truer words.  If I was Sweeney, I would have made the trip the very day it was announced that only Spooner, Bourque, Tardif, Warsofsky and Bartkowski would make the trip up for camp to deliver this message.  These guys are getting the first shot.  But things can change quickly, so if your number comes up - be ready.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I like it. It's like every team is tied half way through the season. The games will be of more importance, and the players will be playing harder (I'd hope). Could be some great hockey.

Sections
Shortcuts