Concussions & Bruins: Coincidence?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Concussions & Bruins: Coincidence?

No doubt concussions are a plague in the league. The causes are debated by those in the know in and out of the league. The equipment, the game's speed, the bigger/stronger players in today's game are all bandied about.

I guess this latest incident just made me wonder. Savard, Bergeron, Krecji, and now Horton, our team's top 4 skilled players, have all been victim of concussion-causing hits. Is this a coincidence or a tactic used to play the Bruins? Or perhaps something in between for those that choose it; maybe our skilled players put themselves in positions to be hit that hard?
    Whattya think?

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Concussions & Bruins: Coincidence?

I think it's the brand of hockey they play.  It lends itself to injury.

If the Bruins had a team full of speed and skill, I think there would be less injury simply because they would be too busy skating around hits and scoring goals..

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "Bruins style" of hockey.  I came back because of Savard and Kessel.  And that's the game I want to see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The game is faster the players are bigger and the shoulder pads rival what NHL linebackers wear. You wont get them to change equipment unless the NHL gets rid of the seamless glass...I'd like to see the shoulder and elbow pads change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

Honestly there are a lot of teams with more skill then us but absolutely no one brings more intensity and physicality than the Bruins. Philly maybe but they also cross the line a lot more often then any other team. Overall I wouldn't call the Bruins play dirty, Id call it gritty. Other teams may interpret that as dirty and I suppose some of it can be on some levels. With that said, we aren't running around taking opposing players out left and right like Philly and Pitt have been doing over the past few years. In the end some of these less physical teams try to match that physicality and sometimes go overboard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

I think it has just been a terrible run of misfortune and coincidence.

Bergeron was hit up against the boards, not in open ice, so you can almost take him out of the hypothesis.  Savard was a cheap shot by an even cheaper player... there's no putting that on him.  That's all on Cooke.

I don't recall Krejci's hit too clearly but I think it was fairly marginal.

And this Horton hit was a cheap, late hit by a low-level player trying to gain an edge in the Stanley Cup Final.

It's extremely frustrating because these are our best players and it's been 3 out of four years in a row now that we've hade to deal with a serious concussion.  But assigning any blame, conspiricy theory, or anything in between is a fruitless effort.

It's just pure coincidence - maddening and infuriating but coincidence nonetheless...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I think you are just more atune to what is happening in Boston.  Here are some good stats for you:

There has been over 500 concussions in the last 7 years in the NHL, 72 just this season.

Some notable ones:

Centre: Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards, Marc Savard, David Krejci, John Tavares, Bryan Little.

Left wing: Johan Franzen, Andy McDonald, David Perron, Max Pacioretty, Rene Bourque.

Right wing: Marian Gaborik, Ales Hemsky, Jason Pominville, Mike Knuble.

Defence: Drew Doughty, Mike Green, Brad Stuart, Toni Lydman, Dan Hamhuis, Andrej Meszaros, Nick Schultz

Goal: Jonas Hiller, Ondrej Pavelec

It is easy to single out the boston players because we see them every day; but this is happening everywere. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

There is no question That was a VERY Dirty hit But I would have given that players a tougher punishment By hitting players where it hurts THERE WALLET On top of what he has now Bruins Need to play As good as they did the other night  Protect Thomas at all cost, Taunt the Canucks which I liked  THEY BROUGHT IT ON THEMSELFS Bruins need to WIN THIS SERIES FOR FANS AND HORTON

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In Response to Re: Concussions & Bruins: Coincidence?:
    [QUOTE]I think you are just more atune to what is happening in Boston.  Here are some good stats for you: There has been over 500 concussions in the last 7 years in the NHL, 72 just this season. Some notable ones: Centre: Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards, Marc Savard, David Krejci, John Tavares, Bryan Little. Left wing: Johan Franzen, Andy McDonald, David Perron, Max Pacioretty, Rene Bourque. Right wing: Marian Gaborik, Ales Hemsky, Jason Pominville, Mike Knuble. Defence: Drew Doughty, Mike Green, Brad Stuart, Toni Lydman, Dan Hamhuis, Andrej Meszaros, Nick Schultz Goal: Jonas Hiller, Ondrej Pavelec It is easy to single out the boston players because we see them every day; but this is happening everywere. 
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I know its a league-wide plague and the reasons for them league-wide have been well-documented, but my question was, why our 4 best players and virtually no one else on the team? Seems strange...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

When the NHL starts implementing harsher suspensions for those who cross the line of cheapshoting other players, then we may see a drop in the concussion rate. I say the penalty for crossing that line should be for every game(s) missed by a concussed player the guilty party should be suspended, (w/out pay of course), for the same amount of games.

In Horton's case...the rest of the SCP games plus the games he'll probably miss at the beginning of next season.

Sections
Shortcuts