Cooke Strikes Again- Pens are a Dirty Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Cooke Strikes Again- Pens are a Dirty Team

Not sure if everyone saw this, but I thought we could all use a diversion from the CJ/coaching conversation.

On Monday night's game between the Pens and Coyotes, Matt Cooke throws this gem of a hit at Yotes defenseman Keith Yandle in the 2nd period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0sMqyR3TIU

As a result, Cooke gets 2 minutes for roughing.  Keep in mind that the score is 5-0 Pens at the time of this hit.

Fast-forward to the 3rd period.  Vernon Fiddler tries to get after Cooke, who does not respond, but in the scrum Deryk Engelland grabs onto Taylor Pyatt.  Here is the result of that exchange:
    http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/100199
    - somehow the Yotes end up shorthanded in this exchange as Fiddler receives a double-minor for roughing
    - Engelland (13 fights in 37 NHL games) does not get an instigator
    - Taylor Pyatt (11 fights in over 650 NHL games) has been placed on Injured Reserve as a result of the fight (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5947696)

Comments in the media by Pens coach Dan Bylsma are very curious, disregarding the details of the hit:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10356/1112517-61.stm

Yandle has called for a 5-game suspension for Cooke, who he calls a "dirty player".  NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell has not ruled on a possible suspension for Cooke.

When are the Pens going to pay for this type of play?  Cooke has a history of targeting teams top players with these cheap hits.  Seems like the only appropriate response at this point is to target top players on the Pens for some questionable body contact or to have your goons "jump" their non-fighters. 

Interested in everyone's take.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Cooke Strikes Again- Pens are a Dirty Team

I don't think Cooke stops the antics until he's beaten into the hospital.  I am serious.

In the pre Bettman era, this guy would have been thrown into a coma.

The reason why he continues on like this is because he can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Can a leopard change its spots.....Cooke is what he is....a dirty player who targets the unwary....he has made his living in hockey doing just that and for most part gotten away with it....disciplinary action has not been stiff enough or tough enough on his bank account to faze him.....when a deliberate act that is worthy of suspension has been warrented by the league the player should be cut off from payroll and playing until the injured player can return to full duty....too harsh...not a chance....maybe this would dampen guys like Cooke's mode of operation!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Cooke's excuses are lame as usual, he claims Yandle pulled up and that's why he got the elbow to the head, but that doesn't explain why Cooke was doing the old school pro wrestling 'flying elow smash.'

The NHL loves to have their villians.  It's a sport that is marketed like nascar, but they want to insure that the crashes happen so they have their staged fights.  It cheapens the sport.  So that's why no suspension for Cooke, you have to keep your bad guys around.

I've said it a million times I think their marketing is all wrong.  Grow it at the grass root in the north, then sell it in the sunbelt.  Let it spread naturally and don't force it and try to sell it like the circus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It does not matter if Yandle was pulling up or not, Cooke's elbow was planted on Yandle's helmet.  In the NFL that hit would have at least cost Cooke some cash.  Finishing your checks btw is fine but to defend the actions in any way is reprehensible.  The NHL "Nothing Happens League"!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think your conclusion is exactly right Crowls.  Don't bother with Cooke who is a master at avoiding what he deserves (just like Avery, Ott, Lapierre).  You just gotta make Crosby and Malkin pay the price.  When Crosby gets hammered by a retaliatory hit because of something Cooke did in a game the Pens are winning 5-0, the message gets heard, and ultimately the finger gets pointed where it should -- back at Cooke.  That would be my vote for dealing with it anyhow.

I'm not saying someone should take a suspension for running Crosby.  But go ahead and give Crosby a two handed slash across the back of the calves after the whistle, and say "that's for Matt Cooke".  Tell the whole bench.  If that happens often enough then the pressure heats up on Cooke to knock it off.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

If cooke doesnt get at least a 3 game suspension then yes its time teams took liberty towards crosby and malkin. Its plain as daylight cooke targeted the head.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Crysby has had a target on his back since he was probably around 11 years old. He is exceptional at avoiding the big hit. Not saying that somebody who is determined to crush him won't be able to, just that it will be difficult. It will become obvious to Cindy and the Pens after the first 3 attempts miss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Delta14. Show Delta14's posts

Crowls - I agree with you on this one.  Only hope that somebody does start with Crosby and lets the bench know that its going to happen everytime until something is done with Cooke.  Thought Yandle was going to have a concussion with that hit - glad the kid made it back on the ice. 

toys 0311

10 days and a wake-up!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Cooke Strikes Again- Pens are a Dirty Team:[QUOTE] I don't think Cooke stops the antics until he's beaten into the hospital.  I am serious. In the pre Bettman era, this guy would have been thrown into a coma. The reason why he continues on like this is because he can. Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/matt-cooke-accused-of-dirty-hit-refuses-to-fight-coyotes-in-penguins-blowout-win.html

It will either be Cooke in the hospital to make him stop or he will seriously cripple someone else which he almost did with Savard.

I really do think Cooke will get his because someone will step up like Darian Hatcher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CThbqIXS8xM but I just don't want Matt to get up like the toughened Jeremy. That hit was 1999 so this type of policing can still work...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I would rather be called a "Dirty Team"  then "soft", "flat", "stale", "listless", "passive", "no emotion", "no energy", Etc.....

I dislike Cooke like everyone else, and think he is a d bag, but the Penguins are everything the Bruins should be.  If you want to call them dirty, then I want the Bruins to be dirty as well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

I agree that Cooke is a dirty player and a coward.  Pyatt had to pay the price as Cooke would not fight. However, I agree with MeanE....I would rather be called "dirty team" than "no emotion" team.  Guess who wins the Cup this year? 
    The Pens .  They play tough, they fight tough, they pick up after each other. Heck they even pick up after Cooke.  We get Mcquaid and Kampfer thrown in the boards and we do......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

MeanE- hard to understand how you make that statement.  I don't want the B's players to be anything like Matt Cooke, he is a cheap-shot artist and a coward. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

The Bruins should trade for yandle...he seems to already have the same mindset of all of the players here in regard to Cooke

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Crowls - It's easy to make that statement.  The Bruins on TOO MANY nights over the past year and a half play with no heart!  If you are a player and don't like Matt Cooke, then do something about it.  The problem is, unfortunately, Matt Cooke has some skill level and is a pretty good skater, making him difficult to hit.  However, I can assure you that if Matt Cooke was a Bruin and hit Crosby, Malkin, or any other player on the Penguins, like he did Savard, that he would have been jumped by at least one if not more players and would get drilled anytime he stepped on the ice thereafter.  The fact is, that the Penguins bring it, and if they don't Bylsma and Shero will hold them accountable.  I loved the grading of players that they did together on 24/7.  I sure hope that CJ and PC do the same thing.  But I seriously doubt it, because if they did, they would have to sit half the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I want toughness and heart on the Bruins.  Matt Cooke brings niether toughness nor heart.  He delivers cheap shots and then let's his teammates answer for him.  No thanks.

I think I know what you are getting at with the Bruins needed to be tougher to play against and more confrontational, but the example of Cooke is misguided.  Players in the NHL I would NOT root for, even in the black and gold sweater are: Avery, Ott, Lapierre, Cooke...not tough, not good teammates, in my opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've said it since the day of the hit on Savard, Crowls. The only way to get Cooke out of the game is to convince teams not to give him a contract.  Make it clear that the risk of having him around is that your star players may well be out for a number of additional home dates, because his presence will be seen as your intent to injure our stars.  Period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Fletch- I agree with your list.  However, I do think that Cooke is tough and plays with Heart.  He may be a weasel and D Bag, and I don't like his style, but he consistently plays hard.  

I was referring to the Headline of the Pens are a Dirty Team.  I would venture to bet that if you asked Cam Neely right about now if he would rather have the Bruins be called "Dirty"  or all of the other identities they are known for right now, he would pick "Dirty".