Cooke suspension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Cooke suspension

He got rest of season and first round of playoffs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Cooke suspension

One more time will net him a season i bet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sizzled. Show Sizzled's posts

Good, cost him over $200K...still can't wait to hear Mario comment

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

thats about right, the rest of his life would be better but perhaps he will finally stop this stuff

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phatdude47. Show Phatdude47's posts

The suspension should have included the entire playoffs, not just the first round if the Pens do move on. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Cooke suspension:
    The suspension should have included the entire playoffs, not just the first round if the Pens do move on. 
    Posted by Phatdude47

You'll get no argument from me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadBear. Show BigBadBear's posts

One more time will net him a season i bet.
    Posted by wallydouglas

Next time he should have to take an elbow from each person hes done it too, If he does it again then he will never learn. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556768

If the playoffs started tonight, the Pens and TB would hook up.  An unforseen sweep by one of them would result in the absolute earliest he could return being April 21, I think.  We'll see if this complete idiot gets the message but I say he probably won't. 

I'm not saying its impossible but the only player of note I've ever read about who did an about-face in style of play was HOFer Stan Mikita of the Hawks.  He was said to be more of a woodchopper at the ankles and would pitch-fork  players in the gut. 

He wasn't a head-shot artist like Cooke.  Mikita's quote was "It takes a long stick to score from the penalty box."  I think he went on to win a Lady Byng along the way.  Cooke appears to not have any respect or regard for his fellow players.  Wasn't he suspended just weeks ago for nailing someone hard (Tyutin of the Jackets?) from behind?  Too bad his consequences didn't include the entirety of the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Cooke suspension : Next time he should have to take an elbow from each person hes done it too, If he does it again then he will never learn. 
    Posted by BigBadBear

I think it should have been Rest of Season + Playoffs + Psychiatric evaluation. Is this dude even mentally stable?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I hope that fans in Montreal don't trip over themselves getting over to the rink tonight to protest. Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Not long enough, but better than a slap on the wrist.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

Considering this is the NHL, it looks like a fair suspension.  Still wish he'd be gone for the whole playoffs, but hey...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Finally, the cement head of the NHL gets a worthy suspension. Maybe this gets him to grow a brain.......but don't count on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from er877. Show er877's posts

Lemieux, in his letter to Gary Bettman last week, suggested fine amounts based on the length of suspension to the player:

• 1-2 games–$50,000 fine to team

• 3-4 games–$100,000 fine to team

• 5-8 games–$250,000 fine to team

• 9-10 games–$500,000 fine to team

• 11-15 games–$750,000 fine to team

• More than 15 games–$1 million fine to team

“If a player is a repeat offender during that season, the fine to the team would double,” wrote Lemieux.

Think Mario will offer to write the NHL a check for $1.5 or $2 mil?

I can't wait to hear him try to weasel out of his whining.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Lemieux The current system punishes the offending player but does very little to deter such actions in the future. We need to review, upgrade and more clearly define our policies in this regard, so that they can provide a meaningful deterrence and effectively clean up the game.

-- Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux

this is the same loser owner that employs matt cooke. hey mario good luck cleaning up the game how about starting with your own team u complete hypocrite.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

I thought the organization should've been fined as well.  I also thought they should've put Cooke on a final notice:  next time this happens he's banned from the league.

Maybe Mario will finally see his own hypocracy.  Ever since his prized pony went down, he's been acting all self righteous about getting strict with the rules.  I hope he comes out admits that the suspension was deserved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is "the guy", right?  The Bourque was "the guy" on the Bruin payroll and Lidstrom is "the guy" in Detroit.  That is, whatever this guy gets, that's the bar.  No one can go over the bar, no one deserves to go over the bar.

Cooke is the guy more than Avery or Ott or Downie.  He's the guy who is the crapstandard for dirty little f'kers.  So whatever the NHL gives him, every other dirty bugger says OK, now I know the most I'd be forced to pay if I did X.  When you have a guy like this in the sights, you have to send a message.  Dale Hunter on Turgeon type message.  McSorley on Brashear message.  20 games.  Indefinite suspension.  Repeated actions described as intent to injure, actions posing a significant and tangible hazard to the image of the league and its product.  Bye.

I think you could ban him for life and get it past a court challenge.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

The current system punishes the offending player but does very little to deter such actions in the future. We need to review, upgrade and more clearly define our policies in this regard, so that they can provide a meaningful deterrence and effectively clean up the game. ” -- Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux this is the same loser owner that employs matt cooke. hey mario good luck cleaning up the game how about starting with your own team u complete hypocrite.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold

I don't know... but if the league continues to warrant such dirty plays in the game, you'd rather have Cooke playing for your team than the opponents'.  There'd be no use for Lemieux or the Penguins to trade away Matt Cooke and see him play for, let's say, the Flyers, and see your own players get hurt by Cooke.  The Pens don't have the power to stop Cooke from playing hockey.

He'd be facing the same problems one way or the other.  'Cause then, he'd have his own players hurtin' and Bruins' fans calling Lemieux an hysterical hypocrite for whinning about his own players' injuries. 

There's no way out of this with what I've been reading as of late on this board.  To have any credibility in front of any of you, Lemieux would need to come out when some player on another team gets hurt... and then you'd probably be asking why the hell is he intervening in another team's problems... or you'd be saying : "He's just coming out now like an hypocrite 'cause Crosby got hurt in 2011... and he's taking advantage of someone else's injury to get his message through."  Or he'd have to wait for that moment when there'd be no recent injuries, and you'd be saying : "Why is he whinning when there's no problems..."

Funny bunch... !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Cooke suspension : I don't know... but if the league continues to warrant such dirty plays in the game, you'd rather have Cooke playing for your team than the opponents'.  There'd be no use for Lemieux or the Penguins to trade away Matt Cooke and see him play for, let's say, the Flyers, and see your own players get hurt by Cooke.  The Pens don't have the power to stop Cooke from playing hockey. He'd be facing the same problems one way or the other.  'Cause then, he'd have his own players hurtin' and Bruins' fans calling Lemieux an hysterical hypocrite for whinning about his own players' injuries.  There's no way out of this with what I've been reading as of late on this board.  To have any credibility in front of any of you, Lemieux would need to come out when some player on another team gets hurt... and then you'd probably be asking why the hell is he intervening in another team's problems... or you'd be saying : "He's just coming out now like an hypocrite 'cause Crosby got hurt in 2011... and he's taking advantage of someone else's injury to get his message through."  Or he'd have to wait for that moment when there'd be no recent injuries, and you'd be saying : "Why is he whinning when there's no problems..." Funny bunch... !
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

Wedgy,most of us were just surprised at the gall of Lemieux to complain about the state of the league,regarding dirty play,while he employs the dirtiest player on skates.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

Wedgy, what is with your scatological posts?  This topic is about Cooke's suspension and yet you go on trying to psychoanalyze Bruins fans!?  You're not that clever...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think everyone, including me, wants to hear what Mario will say after all of the whining and threats to "leave", but I have to give credit to Ray Shero, who released a very classy statement where he unequivically supported the suspension and did not defend Cooke in any way.  Appreciate another person calling it honestly and be damned with loyalty to one's own team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Wedgy, if we are all agreed that the NHL needs to do more to rid the game of dirty hits and protect player safety, we should all just take this as a sign of progress, and nothing more.  Bruins fans, by and large, resent of inconsistency of all of the posturing on this topic, and that includes Mario/Habs fans seemingly coming unglued only when their own players get hurt.  Sorry to generalize, but it just seems that way. 

Cooke is the worst guy out there, agreed?

Punishment for him should mean a lot more than punishment for Chara, for anyone sincerely interested in cleaning up the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

Wedgy, what is with your scatological posts?  This topic is about Cooke's suspension and yet you go on trying to psychoanalyze Bruins fans!?  You're not that clever...
    Posted by gardenbees

Bah... I tend to get irritated and I'm growing a little tired of ppl getting in the way of fundamentally good men, calling them hypocrites, as soon as they find the mere ounce of self-interest in their actions.  When's the last time you've seen someone do something devoid of any self-interests ?

The topic was about Cooke's suspension, not about Lemieux's actions.  Didn't start it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

Wedgy, if we are all agreed that the NHL needs to do more to rid the game of dirty hits and protect player safety, we should all just take this as a sign of progress, and nothing more.  Bruins fans, by and large, resent of inconsistency of all of the posturing on this topic, and that includes Mario/Habs fans seemingly coming unglued only when their own players get hurt.  Sorry to generalize, but it just seems that way.  Cooke is the worst guy out there, agreed? Punishment for him should mean a lot more than punishment for Chara, for anyone sincerely interested in cleaning up the game.
    Posted by Fletcher1

We agree on that.  I appreciate the "seemingly".  It has a calming effect on my "habs fan nerves", lol. 

Sections
Shortcuts