Corsites are just plain dumb

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Corsites are just plain dumb

You all know about my dislike for the advanced (read: invented) stats.  In an article titled, Don't Worr About Rick Nash (unless you're a Bruin), I stumbled across this gem:

"The bizarre thing is that, even though Chara had a goal and an assist in Game 1, the line of Nash, Derick Brassard, and Mats Zuccarello more than held its own against the 2009 Norris Trophy winner. The trio were the only New York forwards to register positive Corsi ratings on Thursday, meaning that the Rangers, with the Nash line on the ice, had more even-strength shot attempts than the Bruins. All of New York's other lines were outshot—and, in fact, they were outshot badly. With Nash on the ice, the Rangers were plus-10 Corsi; without him they were minus-23."

I remember Zuccarello from that game.  He's the one that was sliding into the net after Marchand's OT puck.  What a stupid article. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Corsites are just plain dumb

Agree on the stupidity of article. How about some of the other percolations like " getting the D back". The younger, faster D played a better game than the older, slower D. If Seids has  'lower body" injury that will only serve to make him slower, not good. It is a tough decision for Claude, and one he is probably not comfortable with. The "kids D" will make some mistakes, but overall their speed keeps the puck moving out of the Bruins end. The "experience" helps only when it brings better decisions. These " kids" seem to be ready to make positive decisions

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

So, if I understand correctly, Nash has lead the team in shots three times in eight games, two losses and one win, and in the win his line scores zero goals? Yeah, that stat is a fantastic indicator of what's going on. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Agree on the stupidity of article. How about some of the other percolations like " getting the D back". The younger, faster D played a better game than the older, slower D. If Seids has  'lower body" injury that will only serve to make him slower, not good. It is a tough decision for Claude, and one he is probably not comfortable with. The "kids D" will make some mistakes, but overall their speed keeps the puck moving out of the Bruins end. The "experience" helps only when it brings better decisions. These " kids" seem to be ready to make positive decisions

no matter who clode plays, the result of the game will determine whether his decision was correct. keep the youngsters in and win(when the others are healthy), he is a great coach for making a balzy move and not going to his playoff tested veterans. keep the youngsters in and lose(when the others are healthy), he's a  bumbling idiot that didn't play his playoff tested veterans. coaches get too much credit when the team wins, too much blame when they lose. the players are the ones skating, shooting, passing, hitting and stopping the puck.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Never heard of this stat before.  So according to this a unscreend shot from the ouside is the same a a breakaway.  Yep, a dumb stat indeed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

Never heard of this stat before.  So according to this a unscreend shot from the ouside is the same a a breakaway.  Yep, a dumb stat indeed.

The Corsi stat was created by people who were trying to replicate Sabrmetrics from baseball.  The problem is that, unlike baseball, hockey is a team game.  Another problem is that there are too many variables to make it really worthwhile.

The biggest blow to the people who swear by the Corsi stats (Corsites) is the return of Ovechkin.  They've been professing his demise based upon these stupid stats for years.  And now what do they say?  "Um, well, you know..."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think there are one or two "advanced" stats that make sense - Corsi is not one of them. A weak shot from the perimeter vs. a crash and bang tip in or a Datsyukian dangle cannot all be treated equally.

There is one advanced stat I saw a while ago that had a combined weight on scoring opportunities for and against for even strength, PP and PK. The top three players on that stat? Datsyuk, Bergeron and Toews. So maybe some advanced stats have some merit, but certainly not the Corsi.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

It's because you read Canadian content, it's unheard of here in Canada .  I have never seen a hockey article or read an article that contained Corsi stats. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

There can be uses for stats like this, but never as the entire basis for an argument.  Not in hockey.  It just doesn't work.

Stats that look at actual results - goals for/against based - can be more useful... but still, so much goes into events in hockey that at the end of the day you've still got to watch the tape to really make judgements.

Incidentally, there are apparently entire conferences devoted to attempts to better quantify hockey analysis.  I can seem silly, but a lot of people are sinking money into it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Only two stat that count in a game...goals and goals against.  All the rest of the stats are for losers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You all know about my dislike for the advanced (read: invented) stats.  In an article titled, Don't Worr About Rick Nash (unless you're a Bruin), I stumbled across this gem:

"The bizarre thing is that, even though Chara had a goal and an assist in Game 1, the line of Nash, Derick Brassard, and Mats Zuccarello more than held its own against the 2009 Norris Trophy winner. The trio were the only New York forwards to register positive Corsi ratings on Thursday, meaning that the Rangers, with the Nash line on the ice, had more even-strength shot attempts than the Bruins. All of New York's other lines were outshot—and, in fact, they were outshot badly. With Nash on the ice, the Rangers were plus-10 Corsi; without him they were minus-23."

I remember Zuccarello from that game.  He's the one that was sliding into the net after Marchand's OT puck.  What a stupid article. 

Hey Costanza, I just realized u are a writer to some extent. Good for u, u go girly boy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to pauly1's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Hey Costanza, I just realized u are a writer to some extent. Good for u, u go girly boy. 

I live for your late Friday and Saturday night posts.

Also, congrats on finally figuring out how to hit the reply button.