Could this happen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Could this happen?

Anyone think the Leafs might lose their last game against Montreal ON PURPOSE (to give themselves a better chance at facing the Bruins?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Re: Could this happen?

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Anyone think the Leafs might lose their last game against Montreal ON PURPOSE (to give themselves a better chance at facing the Bruins?)

Leafs have played much better against Montreal,so can't see it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I think they'd be foolish to do that.  Boston has had their number for quite some time, and don't see that changing in the playoffs. As Kitch said above, quite the opposite when it comes to the Habs......who've mostly lost to the Leafs this year.

Players/coaches of course will never admit to wanting to meet a certain team, but I'm sure inside they have their picks, and for Toronto, I think it's the Habs they want.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Why?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I dont think any team, especially these days would ever lose a game on purpose. Some teams who are already in may rest people, but to me thats a right they've earned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Kel, isn't that against the law in some way? Hard to prove, but still isn't that some sort of fraud? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

from what i hear, toronto fans want to avoid boston at all costs. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Bruinfan,

I can't see them doing that against any team - especially the Habs.  Right now their lineup is in a state of flux.  Tyler Bozak, Ryan O’Byrne, Frazer McLaren, and Jake Gardiner were all scratched last night vs the Panthers and Carlyle's lines were jumbled making the Leaf lineup unsettled with only one game to go in the season. 

Last night Kessel was centred by Nazem Kadri instead of his usual guy Bozak.  James van Riemsdyk was moved from Kadri's line with Lupol and Kessel to one with Mikhail Grabovski.  It would appear they will be using tomorrow's game to sort some things out not tank.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Kel, isn't that against the law in some way? Hard to prove, but still isn't that some sort of fraud? 

I don't think so. If a team has secured a playoff spot, and is playing a game that has significance for another team, and rests a star player, that is a choice they've earned.

What if for example the Bruins, knowing where they will finish are playing the Senators on the last day of the season and the Isles need the Sens to lose to get in. Just an example. I know the Isles are in, but the Bruins rest Chara because they want him fresh for the playoffs. They've earned that right in my opinion. I say worry about your own house before looking out your window next door.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I dont think any team, especially these days would ever lose a game on purpose. Some teams who are already in may rest people, but to me thats a right they've earned.

What if the last game of the season, meaning ottawa at boston, the sens are standing 8th and need a win to get to 7th over the rangers with the Bs sitting 2nd ? do you think the Bs wanna lose the game or play the rangers ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

Why?

The latter rounds of the playoffs is unfamiliar territory for many players, not so for the Bruins... I think Boston will get stronger and tougher to play against the deeper they go. Better to play them now while they are finding an identity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I don't think so. If a team has secured a playoff spot, and is playing a game that has significance for another team, and rests a star player, that is a choice they've earned.

What if for example the Bruins, knowing where they will finish are playing the Senators on the last day of the season and the Isles need the Sens to lose to get in. Just an example. I know the Isles are in, but the Bruins rest Chara because they want him fresh for the playoffs. They've earned that right in my opinion. I say worry about your own house before looking out your window next door.

Actually Kel, the league used to fine teams that rested uninjured players late in the season with the premise being that the guy who buys a ticket for game 82 should be treated to the same quality of hockey as the fans who paid for game one. I'm not sure what the league's current stance is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Agreed and I think the Loafs are going to rock the Shabs tonight. I see a blow out, Montreal do not look good at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

So you play your last game of the season and you plan on tanking it ?  Really ?  This is what you want going into the playoffs ?  Really ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

No so much as "tank it", but more like rest your best players and see what happens. Secondary players look at it as a chance to continue to prove themselves. While if you win, Great, if you lose ... maybe better in the long run.

The important thing is to make the playoffs! Then start the new season, uping the tempo and body contact

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's the Habs - the Leafs would never throw a game against the Habs intentionally. Simply wouldn't happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Also if both the Leafs and Bruins lose today, they're almost guaranteed to play each other in the first round regardless of the Ottawa game tomorrow due to ROW. IF Boston loses today and the Habs win  Habs get the division, and with a loss by ott in either of it's last two games, Leafs get 5th.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

If I thought any of them "lost on purpose"....I wouldn't be too interested in following hockey.  Some times little emphasis is put on winning, and the play shows that, but willfully tanking?  big difference.

Certainly hope not.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Teams in playoff spots do not lose "on purpose."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The entire notion of tanking a game in order to influence a playoff spot is absurd.  A GM or coach may play different players in hopes of a loss, but I doubt they'd tell the workers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

Why?

The latter rounds of the playoffs is unfamiliar territory for many players, not so for the Bruins... I think Boston will get stronger and tougher to play against the deeper they go. Better to play them now while they are finding an identity.

Forgetting for a moment that purposely losing a game to influence playoff standings can have serious repercussions, there is no way that Toronto would want to face Boston in any round of the playoffs. Toronto has had no success against the Bruins in recent years. Why would they want to spoil their one chance at actually advancing in the playoffs in years just so they could face the Bruins while they are "finding their identity"?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to kitchener's comment:

Agreed and I think the Loafs are going to rock the Shabs tonight. I see a blow out, Montreal do not look good at all.

I like it anytime the Habs get an L hung on them.  A blowout L would be especially satisfying.

Sections
Shortcuts