Could we sign Suter, Parise if...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Could we sign Suter, Parise if...

we traded Thomas, Krecji, Ferrence and Horton after the season to free up money? Would there be room left over to extend Lucic and Seguin?
    Put down your pitchforks, I'm just asking.
    Suter and Parise asre supposedly best buds and a team offering both might have an inside track according to GM speculation. Why can't it be us?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Could we sign Suter, Parise if...

Who would we give up to get them...?  Everyone?  

Or are you assuming that both Suter and Parise will be neither traded nor re-signed until the summer when the B's come calling (and Thomas, Krejci, etc. have all been signed by other teams before Suter Parise are off the market)?

I'm having trouble seeing a scenario where this is even possible.  It would be great though, if it worked out as you've described.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Well I do agree with you partially. Our prospects in our system are starting to get a little weak. I think that if traded Thomas and maybe another guy in the offseason for picks and prospects, then went out and used up some of the cap space on a Parise or Suter then we would accomplish both restocking and adding some top tier skill.

Ever notice Philly can go after all the big names? That's because they have consistantly flipped guys. They stocked their system and traded Carter, Richards and in the past Forsberg , etc. and totally re-tooled there depth in the system. Then while those guys are developing they can go spend the cash on (so called)high end talent. So I say trade them or don't resign them in the offseason, get some youth and picks, then go fishing on July 1st.

We did that same thing in the Kessel trade and that allowed us to move our 1st rounders, 2nd rounders and some depth like Colbourne and guys to load up and win a cup. You simply have to be careful not to fall in love and overvalue your players. Guys like Thomas, Horton (when healthy), Peverely, Kelly, etc. are guys other teams would love to have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

wow, my posts usually get assailed as troll crapola, and I knew this one was an "out there" idea, so I really appreciate the two thoughtful responses - Savy's response was particularly provocative. I agree 100% that falling in love and overvaluing your own players is a death trap. I know they have all had their moments and I am grateful for them, but going forward I could certainly live without Tim T, Horton, Krecji and Ferrence next season. And if it meant we could restock with picks and prospects and sign an impact FA or two, well I'd be dancin a jig.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Suter would look good in a B's uniform

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Could we sign Suter, Parise if...:
    At this point I don't know (or any of us for that matter) exactly what GMs are thinking.  Nashville is a smaller market, but that team is starting to click and fill seats.  Suter and Weber are part of that success.  It comes down to money. Personally, I think Krejci is expendable going into next season.  If Seguin will slide into center, there are guys who can give us more flexibility for #2 or #3 center, imho.  The guy's Jekyll and Hyde act is getting tiresome.  I know about the playoffs last year, yeah, yeah...but who's to say he won't hit one of his dry spells in the playoffs this year?
    Posted by ipotnyc

Agreed on his Jekyll&Hyde reg season/playoff stretch but given that the playoffs really are THE season and he has NEVER under-performed post-season, wouldn't it be a bit foolish to jettison him just b/c the regular season no-sows are annoying?

Even Ryder, who we were all ready to shove into the Charles after reg. season last year, became absolutely KEY in the playoffs. Krejci deserves at least one more post-season look b4 sending him away--and right now his trade value is quite low given this year's #'s.

I'd love to see PC go after Ryan Smyth b/c Horton may be a no-show rest of the way and this guy could be Reccho Redux w/even better goal-scoring power Depends what EDm. would want of course, but maybe dangle Pouliot, Hammil, Caron, Corvo and any other prospects short of Hamilton and see if they bite.

I'd also listen long and hard to any deal for a serios power fwd. for Thomas at this point. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

If Krejci was traded or Thomas, Parise would be an amazing player to have. Imagine having two Selke caliber players in Bergeron and Parise on the same line..

Lucic-Seguin-Peverly/Horton
    Parise-Bergeron-Marchand

Pretty damn good one-two punch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

And imagine Parise and Seguin on the PP together....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

TTBI, it'd be just as foolish to jettison the reigning Conn Smythe winner at this point....

i don't see Tuukka leading the B'S to the promised land just yet...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I don't agree....not when he is 36, has soured the front office against him, and you have Rask ready. Not to mention the salary you would save and be able to put towards Suter and/or Parise.  I'll always love Timmy for what he did last season, but NOW is the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Regarding your original scenario, assuming no Savard and no change in the cap, for next year that would leave $30M to sign those two players, 6 forwards, 1 D, and both goalies.

I think it is doable, but given how much money Suter and Parise should command, it would be a tight fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Perhaps they'd take a discount to play together?

It sure would be nice to see a lineup as follows:

Lucic-Seguin-Horton
    Parise-Bergeron-Marchand
    Peverley-Kelly-Caron/Pouliot
    Paille-Thornton-Campbell

The back-end would be interesting with all the options...

Chara-Boychuck or Chara-Suter
    Seidenberg-Suter or Seidenberg-Boychuck
    Ferrence-Mcqaid.

That's a scary team.

Now add Nash!

Lucic-Seguin-Nash
    Parise-Bergeron-Marchand
    Peverley-Kelly-Horton
    Paille-Thornton-Campbell

Now THA is a scary good team. Not going to happen, but it would be beastly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

TTBI, it'd be just as foolish to jettison the reigning Conn Smythe winner at this point.... i don't see Tuukka leading the B'S to the promised land just yet...
    Posted by days-of-Orr

I don't see Tuukka ever leading the B's to the promise land.  I was talking about this today with a co-worker.  Tuukka is a nice looking goalie, fundamentally sound, etc....  However, I don't think he has that "it" factor or the competitive will that makes one elite!  I would rather have the B's trade Rask for a top 6 fwd and ride the tank as long as possible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Could we sign Suter, Parise if... : I don't see Tuukka ever leading the B's to the promise land.  I was talking about this today with a co-worker.  Tuukka is a nice looking goalie, fundamentally sound, etc....  However, I don't think he has that "it" factor or the competitive will that makes one elite!  I would rather have the B's trade Rask for a top 6 fwd and ride the tank as long as possible.
    Posted by MeanE

I don't know why people say this.  Were there a lot of people out there who thought Tim Thomas had "it" and would lead the Bruins to a Stanley Cup when he was a middle-aged goalie with a long resume in European and AHL cities?  Nobody believed in Thomas until he did it.  Rask is 24, has had a Vezina caliber season already, and is in the top 5 in the league in GAA and save % as a backup.  Who knows if he has "it" or not yet (whatever "it" is), but Thomas is not going to be around for much longer, in any event, and who do you want to be the Bruins next goalie?  I say Rask.  I think he has plenty of competitive edge too.  Who knows if he'll ever win a Cup -- most goalies don't -- but Rask deserves the keys to the car sooner or later...and we'll find out.  I like his chances better than most.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've never seen anything that has made me doubt if Rask has "it" He has followed the traditional arc of a great goalie - touted prospect, minors, backup, starter etc. And he's done it while putting up some of the best %'s and GAA in the game.
    The Tim Thomas's, Henrik Zetterberg's, Adam Oates's and Jeremy Lin's of the world, who come out of nowhere and show a high level competition, don't usually happen, and we have a great young keeper who has developped the way great young keepers normally do. No clue why we'd trade him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Well Suter+Parise is absolutely better than Thomas+Krejci.

But imagine trying to pay for all these guys at the same time

Seguin
    Bergeron
    Lucic
    Horton
    Chara
    Rask
    Suter
    Parise
    Hamilton

It would be  very difficult in the cap league. But a lineup with that collection of players would be dynamite almost regardless of the roleplayers on the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Could we sign Suter, Parise if... : I don't know why people say this.  Were there a lot of people out there who thought Tim Thomas had "it" and would lead the Bruins to a Stanley Cup when he was a middle-aged goalie with a long resume in European and AHL cities?  Nobody believed in Thomas until he did it.  Rask is 24, has had a Vezina caliber season already, and is in the top 5 in the league in GAA and save % as a backup.  Who knows if he has "it" or not yet (whatever "it" is), but Thomas is not going to be around for much longer, in any event, and who do you want to be the Bruins next goalie?  I say Rask.  I think he has plenty of competitive edge too.  Who knows if he'll ever win a Cup -- most goalies don't -- but Rask deserves the keys to the car sooner or later...and we'll find out.  I like his chances better than most.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I can honestly tell you that I was one of the only people that said TT had it.  I argued with front office people at the PBruins offices many times that Timmy was better then Raycroft. I even told my staff. They all said I was crazy, especially when Razor took home the Calder the following year.  Who is crazy now?  Who do I want to be the next goalie, I am not sure, but I do know that I want to ride Timmy until he can't do it any longer.  If the B's can get a top 6 winger to replace Horton, who I don't think will play again this season, or at least not to the level that we expect of him, I think that the B's can make another run.  When Tuukka had the reigns, the B's lost 4 straight to the Flyers.  Was it all his fault, of course not, but elite goalies with that "It" quality steal a game and the team moves on. He didn't!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Can we let THIS season play out first?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Could we sign Suter, Parise if... : I can honestly tell you that I was one of the only people that said TT had it.  I argued with front office people at the PBruins offices many times that Timmy was better then Raycroft. I even told my staff. They all said I was crazy, especially when Razor took home the Calder the following year.  Who is crazy now?  Who do I want to be the next goalie, I am not sure, but I do know that I want to ride Timmy until he can't do it any longer.  If the B's can get a top 6 winger to replace Horton, who I don't think will play again this season, or at least not to the level that we expect of him, I think that the B's can make another run.  When Tuukka had the reigns, the B's lost 4 straight to the Flyers.  Was it all his fault, of course not, but elite goalies with that "It" quality steal a game and the team moves on. He didn't!
    Posted by MeanE

Would have been nice if TT stole a game against Carolina the previous year.  Maybe the "it" quality is developed...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I love it when someone gets their panties in a bunch because we are discussing offseason moves during the season. like he's the Emily Post of sports blogging.

Bottom line is that TT, Horton, Krecji and Ferrence are all guys the B's could live without and it would free up a whole lot of dough. Rask replaces TT, Seguin has to be given his shot at center so Krecji is expandable, Horton is a disappearing act - Parise would be a huge upgrade and Ferrence is making to much money for a third pair defenseman.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

Not a big fan of Suter... I am afraid he may come back down to earth and we could be stuck with a Redden, Kaberle, Campbell (before this season) type contract. 

I would rather go for Weber as an RFA. Bigger, stronger and more consistent. 

Sections
Shortcuts