Coyotes staying at least one more year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Coyotes staying at least one more year

Unflipping real. The city of Glendale has to be the worst run municipality in the USA - they only have 250,000 people, a debt of over $1 billion, and a projected $30 million budget shortfall this year, and they voted last night to cover another $25million in Coyotes losses, on top of the $50 million they already have paid to the NHL.

Absolutely unreal.

CHICAGO -- With Monday night's win against the Chicago Blackhawks, the Phoenix Coyotes made history by advancing further into the playoffs.   While the team is winning games, it continues to lose money season by season.

According to sources in the NHL and the City of Glendale, former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison is in the final stages of securing the funding needed to buy the Coyotes. He would keep the team playing at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

In a deal reached in 2009, the City of Glendale pledged to cover the Coyotes' operating expenses for the NHL.   In turn, the NHL agreed to keep the team playing in Glendale while it searched for an owner.

Expecting a quick sale, Glendale officials never thought the city would have to pay anything to keep the Coyotes.  Years later, negotiations and deals have fallen through.  The city paid $25 million to the NHL last season.  Another $25 million is due at the end of this season.   

Monday, during an eight-hour budget session, the Glendale City Council voted to budget another payout for next season.   

During the same meeting, the Council also voted to raise property taxes and the sales tax.  Council members said the Coyotes fund is not directly related to the tax hike, but another city official called it a "contributing factor."

Councilwoman Yvonne Knaack explained her 'yes' vote.

"We own that arena," she said. "We have the debt regardless of the Coyotes. The best case scenarios is the Coyotes stay here to play the games and bring 500,000 people to the arena."

Knaack added that she is "most definitely" confident in the Jamison deal.

Councilmember Norma Alvarez was a 'no' vote on continued Coyotes funding, calling it too much of a risk.

"Sometimes we have to admit we've made a mistake. We haven't gotten much money from the Coyotes," Alvarez said after the meeting.

Knaack and the others voting 'yes' say while they budgeted for another potential payout to cover next season's Coyotes' financial losses, they do not expect to have to pay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year

Oh well , it'll give Quebec City that much more time to collect more tax payers money and have their arena ready for when the Coyotes are ready to move.

You're not still bitter from the 1st move ? Happy for Doan ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So the sales tax hike they approved will not only give the City of Glendale the highest sales tax rate in the entire country, the hike will raise $20 million, exactlywhat they committed in their budget yesterday to cover Coyotes losses.

I love watching that team play this year, but enough is enough. There is absolutely no reason that a city should go bankrupt, and people have their taxes hiked to the point where they're the highest in the country, in order to save a hockey team that can't make money.

Plus, according to the Tuscon Citizen, even with the tax hike they'll STILL have a $35 million budget shortfall this year. Insanity.

Not bitter, and I like Doan, but I cover politics for a living, and I've never seen a municipal government this completely screwed up before, and I've covered municipal governments in Africa for chrissakes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Doesn't all moves by Phoenix city council have to get by the Goldwater group,or whatever there called? Or can city council just pay the money and keep them for another year? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year:
    [QUOTE]Doesn't all moves by Phoenix city council have to get by the Goldwater group,or whatever there called? Or can city council just pay the money and keep them for another year? 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Only if they figure payments to the Yotes violate the State gift clause. The Goldwater Institute never opposed the $50 million that Glendale has already pledged to the NHL ($25 million's paid, the rest is in escrow and comes due at the end of the season).

Goldwater could though potentially file suit over the budget if they have legal gounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : Goldwater could though potentially file suit over the budget if they have legal gounds. Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

They do and they will Red watch...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Figured this would happen. Bettman is on record as saying the Coyotes will not be relocating & that expansion is not even close to being on the radar. Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City, Newmarket & anybody else can build all the facilities they want, it isn't going to happen for them at this time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : They do and they will Red watch...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Maybe San... something is very very wrong with your governance if the electorate has to count on the disciples of Barry Goldwater to be the voice of reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I like having the Coyotes in Arizona...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Me too, and I'd like to see them stay.
    But I don't like the NHL taking millions of dollars froma city that is on the verge of bankruptcy in order to keep them there. In this same budget that gives the Yotes $20 million, they're eliminating 54 municipal jobs, increasing user fees on their recreational facilities and libraries six fold, canceling the replacement schedule for their aging fleet of firetrucks and squad cars, shutting dow municipal servicees for an additional 13 days to save money, decreasing school bus and janitorial services, and hiking up the property taxes and sales taxes.
    Bettman and the NHL should be ashamed - they're robbing this town blind and the council is going along with it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]So the sales tax hike they approved will not only give the City of Glendale the highest sales tax rate in the entire country, the hike will raise $20 million, exactlywhat they committed in their budget yesterday to cover Coyotes losses. I love watching that team play this year, but enough is enough. There is absolutely no reason that a city should go bankrupt, and people have their taxes hiked to the point where they're the highest in the country, in order to save a hockey team that can't make money. Plus, according to the Tuscon Citizen, even with the tax hike they'll STILL have a $35 million budget shortfall this year. Insanity. Not bitter, and I like Doan, but I cover politics for a living, and I've never seen a municipal government this completely screwed up before, and I've covered municipal governments in Africa for chrissakes.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]Red, the Toronto council is always in the running for most screwed up municipal govt.... they just voted for LRT over subways...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year :  something is very very wrong with your governance if the electorate has to count on the disciples of Barry Goldwater to be the voice of reason. Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

We are talking about Arizona so nothing surprises me with those freaks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : We are talking about Arizona so nothing surprises me with those freaks.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I was born there... Only there for 10 days but still...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Nothing is set in stone. Anything can happen. Who, by the way, would have accurately predicted that Atlanta would move to Winnipeg last year?

Perhaps Arizona could build a fence around the whole state and prevent the Yotes from leaving?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Nothing is set in stone. Anything can happen. Who, by the way, would have accurately predicted that Atlanta would move to Winnipeg past year? Perhaps Arizona could build a fence around the whole state and prevent the Yotes from leaving?
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    That will make road games tough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : That will make road games tough.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

They would have to get special dispensation from their local sheriff or political representative to be absent. Iron curtain style...lol.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : They would have to get special dispensation from their local sheriff or political representative to be absent. Iron curtain style...lol.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    That's what I was picturing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : That's what I was picturing.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I believe SanDog's post up above accurately describes the great state of Arizona, Dez. Anything goes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : I was born there... Only there for 10 days but still...Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I have no disrespect for people from Arizona as I am there frequently just don't like their politics.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Haha I figured as much. I got away... Thankfully.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]Insanity. Not bitter, and I like Doan, but I cover politics for a living, and I've never seen a municipal government this completely screwed up before, and I've covered municipal governments in Africa for chrissakes.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Lol, please. We get that you want the Yotes moved, I think most hockey fans would like to see it happen. But comparing Glendale to one of the most poverty stricken, disease ridden places in the world is a bit over the top. And yes I have been to Africa several times. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : Lol, please. We get that you want the Yotes moved, I think most hockey fans would like to see it happen. But comparing Glendale to one of the most poverty stricken, disease ridden places in the world is a bit over the top. And yes I have been to Africa several times. 
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

I was in North Africa - i wouldn't call Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Mali "one of the most poverty stricken, disease ridden places in the world" aznd I wasn't referring to any of those issues anyway. I was talking about the quality of municipal governance, and yeah, Glendale's worse. (Well, I'll admit Cairo's worse)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coyotes staying at least one more year : I was in North Africa - i wouldn't call Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Mali "one of the most poverty stricken, disease ridden places in the world" aznd I wasn't referring to any of those issues anyway. I was talking about the quality of municipal governance, and yeah, Glendale's worse. (Well, I'll admit Cairo's worse)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Nope. I don't care what country u pick from there, it's still over the top. The things I mentioned are all tied to municipal govt. Red I like your posts and your hockey knowledge is great but it was over the top.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Pheonix thang is not over yet.  Can anyone say definitively the teams will remain in the currect divisions and conferences?  I think there is more to come on that issue and the debacle in Arizona.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Just watching TSN and a report says a deal is near for the Coyotes to remain in Phoenix,Red should be happy! But with anything that happens in this saga,it will likely fall through.

Sections
Shortcuts