Cracks In Players' Armour?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Cracks In Players' Armour?

NHL lockout: Cracks appear in players’ armour after Hamrlik comments

I think "Cracks" is a bit overblown.   With all due respect to Hamrlik I don't see his thoughts carrying the same weight as if they were to come from one of the league's crown jewels such as Crosby, Giroux, Toews, Weber, Kane, Stamkos or Chara.  It remains to be seen if he's the first of a succession of players to voice similar opinions.  The players seem fortified when they appear in public as do their comments. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Cracks In Players' Armour?

Bissonnette also stated publically that he'd accept a rollback.  As the time marches on, more and more players will voice their displeasure of shoveling against the tide.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bissonnette also stated publically that he'd accept a rollback.  As the time marches on, more and more players will voice their displeasure of shoveling against the tide.

[/QUOTE]

Could very well be.  How do you think Fehr views members albeit lesser lights of the league sharing opinions that counter the prevailing posture of the NHLPA?  I'd imagine he'd be cringing if one of the showcase players expressed similar views. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410028

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"For me, I don't look at this lockout and see what I'm not earning as the entitlement to, 'Let's get a deal done and let's get playing.' I see it as an opportunity to repay an opportunity that was given to me," added Cole.

If they all felt this way, the "make whole" situation would disappear and they'd be on the ice.  Instead, they're demanding full pay for this season and to be paid the balance of their contracts.  Doesn't seem like they're too interested in taking care of the future as much as their selfish selves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NHL lockout: Cracks appear in players’ armour after Hamrlik comments

I think "Cracks" is a bit overblown.   With all due respect to Hamrlik I don't see his thoughts carrying the same weight as if they were to come from one of the league's crown jewels such as Crosby, Giroux, Toews, Weber, Kane, Stamkos or Chara.  It remains to be seen if he's the first of a succession of players to voice similar opinions.  The players seem fortified when they appear in public as do their comments. 

[/QUOTE]

Thats because the guys that make $5mil,$6mil,$7mil, a year won't speak up because they have made enough already to tide them over for awhile.The guys like Hamrlik and others on their final year, the 3rd & 4th liners who may never play again or have a chance to earn that money back, have the most to lose.Once this is settled, the guys you mentioned will go back to earning millions again, the Hamrliks of the world will not. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Correct 50Below, but according to some, they shouldn't worry because they can go play elsewhere and earn the money in the future.  Now, the future doesn't exist in the NHL for many, but that's not the point.  They can play elsewhere and earn the money now.  Those that don't are lazy.

Or something like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

"For me, I don't look at this lockout and see what I'm not earning as the entitlement to, 'Let's get a deal done and let's get playing.' I see it as an opportunity to repay an opportunity that was given to me," added Cole.

If they all felt this way, the "make whole" situation would disappear and they'd be on the ice.  Instead, they're demanding full pay for this season and to be paid the balance of their contracts.  Doesn't seem like they're too interested in taking care of the future as much as their selfish selves.

[/QUOTE]

Incredibly over simplistic.  Your overblown, exagerated, and myopic support of the league, has once again proved your inability to contibute anything objective regarding these negotiations.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

There is nothing more objective than math. And the NHLPA doesn't have the numbers on their side. The issues are simplistic - who wants to earn millions and "cave" ? Beyond that might be the "principled" path to choose - but you can't pay your mortgage with beliefs and values - you need cash. Hey...how is a guy who is used to making 100k a week supposed to live on 90k?

f*^%$!g  owners!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incredibly over simplistic.  Your overblown, exagerated, and myopic support of the league, has once again proved your inability to contibute anything objective regarding these negotiations.

[/QUOTE]

I support the league because I was an NHL fan before these players came around.  This new group of players seem to think that they are owed and entitled to this or that.  They aren't.  They are workers living dream lives.  When these workers are no longer with their companies, there will be new workers.  I'm a fan of the companies, not the workers. 

I don't care what Andrew Ference's bank account looks like.  I care what his stat sheet looks like. 

Eric Cole was paid $2M from part of a signing bonus.  Yeah, he's not too concerned with sitting out this season.  But for him, it's not about the money.  It's about the future.  Yeah right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Correct 50Below, but according to some, they shouldn't worry because they can go play elsewhere and earn the money in the future.  Now, the future doesn't exist in the NHL for many, but that's not the point.  They can play elsewhere and earn the money now.  Those that don't are lazy.

Or something like that.

[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you stick to finding quotes from unhappy union members? So far you've managed to find 2 out of 700. You're getting on quite a role. Sounds like the PA is ready for a vote...........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shouldn't you stick to finding quotes from unhappy union members? So far you've managed to find 2 out of 700. You're getting on quite a role. Sounds like the PA is ready for a vote...........

[/QUOTE]

I haven't found any.  I'm not searching for them.  They are front page news on my TSN iPhone app.  I'm sure more will come.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

I support the league because I was an NHL fan before these players came around.  This new group of players seem to think that they are owed and entitled to this or that They aren't.  They are workers living dream lives.  When these workers are no longer with their companies, there will be new workers.  I'm a fan of the companies, not the workers. 

I don't care what Andrew Ference's bank account looks like.  I care what his stat sheet looks like. 

Eric Cole was paid $2M from part of a signing bonus.  Yeah, he's not too concerned with sitting out this season.  But for him, it's not about the money.  It's about the future.  Yeah right.

[/QUOTE]

This group of players doesn't appear to feel any more "entitled", than the last group...or the one before that.  Contentious labour issues have been front line center for a long, long time. 

Dozens of your posts indicate you "do" care about players "bank accounts".  Apparently you think they're just fine, therefore, they should agree to whatever the league requests.  I don't see any stats for Eric Cole...just financials.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is nothing more objective than math. And the NHLPA doesn't have the numbers on their side. The issues are simplistic - who wants to earn millions and "cave" ? Beyond that might be the "principled" path to choose - but you can't pay your mortgage with beliefs and values - you need cash. Hey...how is a guy who is used to making 100k a week supposed to live on 90k?

f*^%$!g  owners!

[/QUOTE]

If it's only about math, absolutely.  Both sides are attempting to deflect that reality as much as possible.  Most of us have things we believe in, and hopefully, we all don't calculate odds before we decide to take a stand.

The owners argue this is only about survival....sustainability.   The players argue they're taking the hit for everything.  If any problem arises, there's an obvious fix...just have the players pay for it.  Is this going to go on forever.  Is each new contract merely an excercise regarding how much the PA will lose?

To me...it doesn't seem to really be about math at all.  It's a competition, and with each passing year, both sides seem more content to play, and more determined to win.

A lot of this is attitude, and it's worse here, than any of the other big sports, despite being on the bottom rung.

A more civilized relationship between the 2 sides would have to show at least some gain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No, I don't care about their bank accounts.  I know they make a heck of a lot each year than any of us ever will, so I won't listen to any crying about money from them.

1989 Honda Civic, loaded, MSRP $12,800

1989 Top NHL salary, Mario, $2M

2012 Top NHL salary, Weber, $14M.

2012 Honda Civic, loaded, MSRP $89,600?  No.  $26,100.

I think the players of 20 years ago are looking at these guys and wondering where their heads are at.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

If it's only about math, absolutely.  Both sides are attempting to deflect that reality as much as possible.  Most of us have things we believe in, and hopefully, we all don't calculate odds before we decide to take a stand.

The owners argue this is only about survival....sustainability.   The players argue they're taking the hit for everything.  If any problem arises, there's an obvious fix...just have the players pay for it.  Is this going to go on forever.  Is each new contract merely an excercise regarding how much the PA will lose?

To me...it doesn't seem to really be about math at all.  It's a competition, and with each passing year, both sides seem more content to play, and more determined to win.

A lot of this is attitude, and it's worse here, than any of the other big sports, despite being on the bottom rung.

A more civilized relationship between the 2 sides would have to show at least some gain.

[/QUOTE]

It's not as much of a loss as it is a market correction. 

This is like a ficticious newspaper union signing a deal with The Globe.  By the time their CBA is up, paperboys are making $23/hr.  The new agreement needs to scale that back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is like a ficticious newspaper union signing a deal with The Globe.  By the time their CBA is up, paperboys are making $23/hr.  The new agreement needs to scale that back.

[/QUOTE]

difference is nas, newspapers are hurting.  the newspaper industry is in a mess.  newspapers "used to' show a profit.  the hockey business was booming, but despite that, just like always, only the same select few were showing profit.

I understand market corrections, but we're looking at a trend, not a correction.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

difference is nas, newspapers are hurting.  the newspaper industry is in a mess.  newspapers "used to' show a profit.  the hockey business was booming, but despite that, just like always, only the same select few were showing profit.

I understand market corrections, but we're looking at a trend, not a correction.  

[/QUOTE]

Can't bank tomorrow on what happened yesterday, especially if yesterday was a boom.  See:  Real estate in 2006.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Players are hardly the paperboys of the Hockey industry.  In fact I've seen them more than once refered to as the workers or the labour.  They are also the product.  The raw materials. Without them there is nothing to sell and market.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can't bank tomorrow on what happened yesterday, especially if yesterday was a boom.  See:  Real estate in 2006.

[/QUOTE]

Banking tomorrow on what happennned yesterday is "exactly" what's going on here.  Both sides are prognosticating future revenues, and arguing over the percentage each deserves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

I called no season in October and got harassed by NAS guess he's the joke now. Your love for the owners has not change the players mind maybe next lockout. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I called no season in October and got harassed by NAS guess he's the joke now. Your love for the owners has not change the players mind maybe next lockout. 

[/QUOTE]

It's way too early for "I told you so". The season isn't cancelled yet. Nas (and everyone is) is right to laugh at you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410109

Brouwer becomes the latest to call out Hamrlik for his "selfish" attitude.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Washington locker room when it gets underway again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Ronstar8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Washington locker room when it gets underway again.

[/QUOTE]

Ron, don't be shocked if Hamrlik gets injured in camp. Everyone already knew Neuvirth shouldn't be allowed to speak.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-capitals/2012/8/21/3257843/michal-neuvirth-statement-alexander-semin-dale-hunter-washington-capitals