Crazy Idea

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Crazy Idea

I am still worried about Playoff proven performers for this team, and as always, a puck moving Dman. Outside of the Aged One, Recchi, they don't have much in the way of guys who have done it in the playoffs. 

Look what happened when Philly brought in Pronger, a truly proven playoff performer.

There is a good chance that someone of that type might be available later in the year. Brad Richards. He is a UFA after this year, and Dallas might not be able to sign him, therefore he could be on the market. Obviously the B's have plenty to excess talent to make this kind of trade, and bring in a former Conn Smythe winner. #6 in scoring, this year and last - I think.

After PC has cleared the Cap issues to accommodate Savard and Strum's return, he'll need to clear another roughly $3.5 mil for Richards.  Not easy, but do-able. 

Goodbye Bergeron! (I like him too, but Richards is a vast improvement there)

Trade Caron, B's first Pick, and some expiring salaries. Dallas is in $ troubles. 

I WANT TO WIN NOW!!!!

Any other ideas for Impact Players?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Crazy Idea

In Response to Crazy Idea:
    I am still worried about Playoff proven performers for this team, and as always, a puck moving Dman. Outside of the Aged One, Recchi, they don't have much in the way of guys who have done it in the playoffs.  Look what happened when Philly brought in Pronger, a truly proven playoff performer. There is a good chance that someone of that type might be available later in the year. Brad Richards. He is a UFA after this year, and Dallas might not be able to sign him, therefore he could be on the market. Obviously the B's have plenty to excess talent to make this kind of trade, and bring in a former Conn Smythe winner. #6 in scoring, this year and last - I think. After PC has cleared the Cap issues to accommodate Savard and Strum's return, he'll need to clear another roughly $3.5 mil for Richards.  Not easy, but do-able.  Goodbye Bergeron! (I like him too, but Richards is a vast improvement there) Trade Caron, B's first Pick, and some expiring salaries. Dallas is in $ troubles.  I WANT TO WIN NOW!!!! Any other ideas for Impact Players?  
    Posted by perrysound

Didn't Bergeron play on Team Canada ahead of Richards?And do you really want to trade for a rental?And didn't you realize TB traded Richards because he was overpaid?I like Richards(fellow maritimer)but obviously not as much as you do.Don't bother with a Richards vs.Bergeron argument because Stevie Y already took my side on that one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Brad Richards would be an excellant pick up. I don't like the idea of Bergeron moving though. He's too usefull all in all departments. What about our 1st round draft pick for next year (Toronto) and some other luggage ? Nice pick though Perrysound. I'm a big Brad Richards fan too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Something I've been wondering about that is related to this, since you mention trading Bergeron.  Can you (without consent, of course) trade a player who has a contract without a NTC but has signed an extension with one?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy Idea:
    Brad Richards would be an excellant pick up. I don't like the idea of Bergeron moving though. He's too usefull all in all departments. What about our 1st round draft pick for next year (Toronto) and some other luggage ? Nice pick though Perrysound. I'm a big Brad Richards fan too.
    Posted by Stuke50

It would have to be a huge amount of luggage as Richards makes 7.8m(the good news would be that he'll obviously be taking a pay cut next contract).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Something I've been wondering about that is related to this, since you mention trading Bergeron.  Can you (without consent, of course) trade a player who has a contract without a NTC but has signed an extension with one?
    Posted by DrCC

I think you could until the new deal officially kicks in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Yes it is a crazy idea-- and a stupid one too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If there is one thing the Bruins should NOT be looking for in a free agent, it is:
    a) a center
    b) an expensive player

Since Richards is both, this makes no sense to me.  Richards is the only blue-chip FA center in this offseason and as such he will probably be offered a lot.  Too much to match.

In recent years the Bruins have acquired a major surplus of young talent at center.  To then go and sign the most expensive veteran center available would be to concede that their drafting and acquisitions have no thought or foresight whatsoever.

The Bruins should focus on getting the piece they truly need -- a good, puck-moving defensmen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Offensively, the B's don't need another center they need better quality wingers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There are plenty of players that could help the Bruins more, and cost them a lot  less both financially and in terms of trade value, than Richards - Edler,Girardi, Andy Greene, Methot, Karlsson, Montador, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Babchuk to name a few.

If you want a bigger trade target one of those guys with a potential upgradeon wing as well, like Yandle and Wojtek Wolski, that makes budget and trade ability sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

There are plenty of players that could help the Bruins more, and cost them a lot  less both financially and in terms of trade value, than Richards - Edler,Girardi, Andy Greene, Methot, Karlsson, Montador, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Babchuk to name a few. If you want a bigger trade target one of those guys with a potential upgradeon wing as well, like Yandle and Wojtek Wolski, that makes budget and trade ability sense.
    Posted by red75

Red, why would the FIRST PLACE 'Yotes want to get rid of these important pieces? Why Yandle's name is in play is beyond me.
    And the list you have presented doesn't exactly make me go WOW! Love Montador and wished the B's had kept him, but there are NO impact players in your list. 
    Cut my argument up all you want, but at least make one yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Posted by JYaso

Boy oh boy, you must have spent at least a whole of 2 seconds developing a witty and well developed thought. It must have dropped in the bottom of the toilet bowl after it formed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I just used him as an example of the type of the player and because he had been scouted by the B's. Most of the players in that list are on underperforming teams, young, and have puck moving skills, and would have a chance at being an impact plyer on a better team.

We have to be realistic when we talk about puck moving D with our cap reality you're not going to get a superstar major impact D with our cap situation. The best the B's can do is upgrade who they have. I'd take everyone of those players I mentioned above Stuart or Ference or Hunwick. An improvement is what they need, not an overhaul, and not the removal of one of the best two way players in the game and their future captain. You want to win now? So do I. But you don't get rid of what works in order to fix what doesn't. Paille, Wheeler, Sturm, Stuart, Ferrence, Ryder, Hunwick, are all expendable as long as we get an upgrade in return, and I have no problem using prospects like Hamill and Colbornne as trade bait if we absolutely have to. But we don't need Richards and his contract especially since we'd lose him to free agency), and we don't get rid of Bergeron.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Crazy is as crazy does. Has Richards won anything in Dallas??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I just used him as an example of the type of the player and because he had been scouted by the B's. Most of the players in that list are on underperforming teams, young, and have puck moving skills, and would have a chance at being an impact plyer on a better team. We have to be realistic when we talk about puck moving D with our cap reality you're not going to get a superstar major impact D with our cap situation. The best the B's can do is upgrade who they have. I'd take everyone of those players I mentioned above Stuart or Ference or Hunwick. An improvement is what they need, not an overhaul, and not the removal of one of the best two way players in the game and their future captain. You want to win now? So do I. But you don't get rid of what works in order to fix what doesn't. Paille, Wheeler, Sturm, Stuart, Ferrence, Ryder, Hunwick, are all expendable as long as we get an upgrade in return, and I have no problem using prospects like Hamill and Colbornne as trade bait if we absolutely have to. But we don't need Richards and his contract especially since we'd lose him to free agency), and we don't get rid of Bergeron.
    Posted by red75

Yes, a Puck Mover is still a huge issue, but I think they can just have one of their puck moving Forwards drop back to do this function. 
    I'll reframe my question / point . Do you think that the B's have the necessary "go to guys" up front to get the necessary goals in close games that will make the difference? I my humble opinion, this has always been the Bruins weak spot. The years they had Neely up front, they got to the Finals twice, because he did what had to be done. Do they have that now? I do not know. I do know that Richards has done it, and if available, I'd give up some of the Farm to get him. And it will have to be a decent package, because 10 other GMs will make a good offer. He is a Rental, no doubt, but a very attractive one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Crazy is as crazy does. Has Richards won anything in Dallas??
    Posted by Bogie6

No, but that is a crappy team. He did win a Cup, and got the Conn Smythe. Last year he was 6th in scoring, and is currently 6th. 
    He's a winner, and I want the B's to WIN - NOW.

Do whatever it takes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[Lumbergh voice] Uh...yeah...if you're going to rip someone, I'm going to need you to go ahead and think it through first - maybe fill out your TPS reports first.

If there's a problem here, it's a) that Montador is on that list at all, b) that perry thinks Edler, Karlsson, and Pietrangelo aren't impact players (look up how many minutes Pietrangelo is playing for the rejuvenated Blues - I'll wait), and c) that any of those younger, offensively gifted defensemen are named as though the Bruins could reach out and trade for them in the same way they might acquire a huge contract for a player soon to be a UFA.

Montador is a trainwreck.  Like any trainwreck, you need to build up some speed and momentum ON the rails before you jump off.  Montador has crazy numbers now, but that shouldn't make you overlook a career played like a spastic golden retriever on ice - enthusiastic, often funny, but ultimately just wrong.

Karlsson and Pietrangelo are recent first round picks on teams willing to develop their considerable potential.  They won't be dealt.  Edler's a 24yr old defenseman who is currently leads Canucks not named Sedin in scoring.  Karlsson has struggled at times this year, but has huge offensive potential and the Senioritas know it.

All that said, perry, you're fired.

I like Brad Richards, but if you're going to acquire a $7.5M rental, you better be able to explain how that helps you win now.  Brad Richards plays about a minute more per game than David Krejci, and it would be a bigger gap if Savard were healthy.  Is a lineup of Richards, Savard, and Krejci significantly stronger than the current one if you consider the other salary tweaks you'd have to make to accommodate the extra $2.5M+ cap hit?  "Expiring contracts" means Stuart, Hunwick, Sturm assuming Ryder and Paille are already gone.  Replacing those guys plus Caron in the lineup means you're not saving as much as you might like, and chances are you're weaker on D.  So how does acquiring Brad Richards take this team to the promised land?  To Bill Lumbergh, it just looks like a high-profile acquisition rather than a sound strategic move - something you do to show the fans you're interested and not something you do to win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Right now? No, but adding Sturm and Savard back into the lineup will make a difference. If you get rid of some of the expendables I listed then you can afford to pick up a player that could fill your request, but his salary would still have to be on the low end. In this scenario, I would love to see the Bruins pursue Mikael Samuelsson. A proven clutch player in the playoffs with only a 2.5 million salary and he's gettable if the Canucks continue to slip. A clutch player to add to the existing core, rather than give up a chunk of that core to get a bigger name. He's also not a rental.

Though I highly doubt the Bruins will go this route - they have to worry first and foremost about affording the team tey have already.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[Lumbergh voice] Uh...yeah...if you're going to rip someone, I'm going to need you to go ahead and think it through first - maybe fill out your TPS reports first. If there's a problem here, it's a) that Montador is on that list at all, b) that perry thinks Edler, Karlsson, and Pietrangelo aren't impact players (look up how many minutes Pietrangelo is playing for the rejuvenated Blues - I'll wait), and c) that any of those younger, offensively gifted defensemen are named as though the Bruins could reach out and trade for them in the same way they might acquire a huge contract for a player soon to be a UFA. Montador is a trainwreck.  Like any trainwreck, you need to build up some speed and momentum ON the rails before you jump off.  Montador has crazy numbers now, but that shouldn't make you overlook a career played like a spastic golden retriever on ice - enthusiastic, often funny, but ultimately just wrong. Karlsson and Pietrangelo are recent first round picks on teams willing to develop their considerable potential.  They won't be dealt.  Edler's a 24yr old defenseman who is currently leads Canucks not named Sedin in scoring.  Karlsson has struggled at times this year, but has huge offensive potential and the Senioritas know it. All that said, perry, you're fired. I like Brad Richards, but if you're going to acquire a $7.5M rental, you better be able to explain how that helps you win now.  Brad Richards plays about a minute more per game than David Krejci, and it would be a bigger gap if Savard were healthy.  Is a lineup of Richards, Savard, and Krejci significantly stronger than the current one if you consider the other salary tweaks you'd have to make to accommodate the extra $2.5M+ cap hit?  "Expiring contracts" means Stuart, Hunwick, Sturm assuming Ryder and Paille are already gone.  Replacing those guys plus Caron in the lineup means you're not saving as much as you might like, and chances are you're weaker on D.  So how does acquiring Brad Richards take this team to the promised land?  To Bill Lumbergh, it just looks like a high-profile acquisition rather than a sound strategic move - something you do to show the fans you're interested and not something you do to win.
    Posted by Bookboy007

The Bruins have not gotten the goals they needed to knock off Philly - that hurt the most, and Carolina - that was embarrassing. They had pretty good defensive #s, but once again, when they needed that goal to finish those teams off, they didn't get them. 
    This team is always good for GA. It's GF that is the problem. Go big or go home.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[Lumbergh voice] Uh...yeah...if you're going to rip someone, I'm going to need you to go ahead and think it through first - maybe fill out your TPS reports first. If there's a problem here, it's a) that Montador is on that list at all, b) that perry thinks Edler, Karlsson, and Pietrangelo aren't impact players (look up how many minutes Pietrangelo is playing for the rejuvenated Blues - I'll wait), and c) that any of those younger, offensively gifted defensemen are named as though the Bruins could reach out and trade for them in the same way they might acquire a huge contract for a player soon to be a UFA. Montador is a trainwreck.  Like any trainwreck, you need to build up some speed and momentum ON the rails before you jump off.  Montador has crazy numbers now, but that shouldn't make you overlook a career played like a spastic golden retriever on ice - enthusiastic, often funny, but ultimately just wrong. Karlsson and Pietrangelo are recent first round picks on teams willing to develop their considerable potential.  They won't be dealt.  Edler's a 24yr old defenseman who is currently leads Canucks not named Sedin in scoring.  Karlsson has struggled at times this year, but has huge offensive potential and the Senioritas know it. All that said, perry, you're fired. I like Brad Richards, but if you're going to acquire a $7.5M rental, you better be able to explain how that helps you win now.  Brad Richards plays about a minute more per game than David Krejci, and it would be a bigger gap if Savard were healthy.  Is a lineup of Richards, Savard, and Krejci significantly stronger than the current one if you consider the other salary tweaks you'd have to make to accommodate the extra $2.5M+ cap hit?  "Expiring contracts" means Stuart, Hunwick, Sturm assuming Ryder and Paille are already gone.  Replacing those guys plus Caron in the lineup means you're not saving as much as you might like, and chances are you're weaker on D.  So how does acquiring Brad Richards take this team to the promised land?  To Bill Lumbergh, it just looks like a high-profile acquisition rather than a sound strategic move - something you do to show the fans you're interested and not something you do to win.
    Posted by Bookboy007

The part that hurt the most - You're Fired.
    it might take me a long time to get over that. Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Yes it is a crazy idea" Thank you for typing this JYaso

$7.5Mil cap hit and then PC has to unload 3 players ? This is just like the throng of posters who want to keep Ryder while getting rid of 3 NHL ready bodies.

PC will have to trade a player that most fans won't want to see go soon after Sturm and Savard get back because the Bruins defense can't get the puck out of their own zone. Chiarelli will need a Dman soon if Monday and Saturday nights continue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

"Yes it is a crazy idea" Thank you for typing this JYaso $7.5Mil cap hit and then PC has to unload 3 players ? This is just like the throng of posters who want to keep Ryder while getting rid of 3 NHL ready bodies. PC will have to trade a player that most fans won't want to see go soon after Sturm and Savard get back because the Bruins defense can't get the puck out of their own zone. Chiarelli will need a Dman soon if Monday and Saturday nights continue.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

The fans won't give a good sweet damn about Patrice if they win. 
    If you get a chance to bring in that kind of talent, for a small price, and I see Bergeron as a small price, then you do it.
    I want to WIN NOW. This team ain't good enough as is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=242646fb7ebd60bf890c9be08371deae&plckUserId=242646fb7ebd60bf890c9be08371deae">
    First: 10/13/2009
    Last: 11/24/2010
    Posted by JYaso

Boy oh boy, you must have spent at least a whole of 2 seconds developing a witty and well developed thought. It must have dropped in the bottom of the toilet bowl after it formed.

It took me less then 2 seconds to know that you have no clue-- why waste anymore time with it.  NEXT!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy Idea : The fans won't give a good sweet damn about Patrice if they win.  If you get a chance to bring in that kind of talent, for a small price, and I see Bergeron as a small price, then you do it. I want to WIN NOW. This team ain't good enough as is.Posted by perrysound

Well I didn't include JYaso's "and a stupid one too" to try and be nice but now you've thrown me an absolutely beautiful lob to watch go over the fence.

Bergeron a small price you say ? You could probably take your signature "Never to be taken seriously. Seriously! (not spelled correctly)" away because anyone who thinks Patrice is over paid and doesn't know how to spell where Bobby Orr was born n raised can't be taken serious on here.

So much for being nice Happy Thanksgiving too you! Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy Idea : The fans won't give a good sweet damn about Patrice if they win.  If you get a chance to bring in that kind of talent, for a small price, and I see Bergeron as a small price, then you do it. I want to WIN NOW. This team ain't good enough as is.
    Posted by perrysound

Cut out the heart, (BERGERON) my friend, and the BRUIN(S) will die.

Sections
Shortcuts