Cue the Bugle Corps: The end of Fighting is Near

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Cue the Bugle Corps: The end of Fighting is Near

In response to shuperman's comment:

Oh no !  Barnaby was a character and a half !  That guy had a mouth on him and the sheet that came out was at times very funny.  Barnaby as between a super rat and a middle weight. Neil is more business and a bit more of a middle weight.

Heavy weight!  Name one heavy he hasnt danced with?   

[/QUOTE]

I've seen him say no to some fights and rightfully so, it wasn't the time to fight that goon at that time. I think it was Orr but he foght him many other times when the time was right.  I don't see Neil as a goon (heavyweight) because he can also play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Heard somewhere the OHL or some league has a 10-fight max per payer, per season. It keeps the heat of the moment stuff because the average guy won't come close to 10 a year, but it makes the staged goon fights go away because nobody wants to spend their 10 that way. Go over 10 and you sit 25 games

Still not a fan, but there are ways to less obnoxious goon on goon crime.

This might be a good starting point but the biggest hurdle will the NHLPA. I think they resist the most. That's a good chunk of change lost and always abut money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Back to addressing the title of this thread, that "the end of fighting is near."  You know you never want to say never, but fighting will NEVER be taken out of the NHL.  It is known.  Staged or not.  Speaking of staged, how many here get out of their seat and go to the bathroom/concession stand, or if at home, change the channel when a fight starts?

But I tell ya, if I was as soft as one particular vocal poster here on this topic, I think I'd take up watching college or Euro hockey.  There......problem solved.....you should be much happier. 

You're welcome. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to asmaha's comment:

Heard somewhere the OHL or some league has a 10-fight max per payer, per season. It keeps the heat of the moment stuff because the average guy won't come close to 10 a year, but it makes the staged goon fights go away because nobody wants to spend their 10 that way. Go over 10 and you sit 25 games

Still not a fan, but there are ways to less obnoxious goon on goon crime.

This might be a good starting point but the biggest hurdle will the NHLPA. I think they resist the most. That's a good chunk of change lost and always abut money.

In the end, this is what it will come down too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Oh no !  Barnaby was a character and a half !  That guy had a mouth on him and the sheet that came out was at times very funny.  Barnaby as between a super rat and a middle weight. Neil is more business and a bit more of a middle weight.

I've seen him say no to some fights and rightfully so, it wasn't the time to fight that goon at that time. I think it was Orr but he foght him many other times when the time was right.  I don't see Neil as a goon (heavyweight) because he can also play.

I dont consider chara lucic goons but they can handle anyone.  And no neil isnt close to their level.  I know what u mean.   

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Neil can play hockey. No arguments there. Overall, he reminds me of Barnaby. Really easy to hate. I suggested long ago that the league should have a minimum number of minutes that each  player on the game roster should have to play. I'm talking something pretty low like 6 minutes or so. If a player doesn't have enough T.O.I. for 2 straight game appearances then the team would be penalized by losing a roster spot for "X" amount of games. After awhile, teams would be wary of dressing players that are a liabilty every time they step on the ice.

Kassian was brought in because Neil is a middleweight. Barnaby got beat up by Chara. Does that make him a heavyweight too?  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So much petty stuff in what could have been a quality thread.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fighting will not go anywhere. It has the support of both fans and players, like it or not. There are plenty more dangerous things that can happen on the ice than getting a fist to the face.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

For the most part, people who know and love the game want fighting to remain.  My concern lies in continued pressure from outside sources - especially the medical community, and those in the legal community who want to press assault charges every time someone gets their azz kicked in a hockey fight.

Not to mention the fact that the punishment for fighting in the other 3 major sports is dealt with more seriously - so there is added pressure from that perspective as well.

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

So much petty stuff in what could have been a quality thread.

Threads like this keep shupes mind off of Rasks contract

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

For the most part, people who know and love the game want fighting to remain.  My concern lies in continued pressure from outside sources - especially the medical community, and those in the legal community who want to press assault charges every time someone gets their azz kicked in a hockey fight.

Not to mention the fact that the punishment for fighting in the other 3 major sports is dealt with more seriously - so there is added pressure from that perspective as well.

I would think a logical place for the league to start is by further limiting the amount of times per game a player can fight. There are very few games in which a player should find himself in 3 "legitimate" fights. I'm surprised the league hasn't cut it down to 2 per game years ago. The only guys that ever scrap 3 times a night usually have a couple of "staged" ones included in the number.

I would think a logical place for the league to start is by further limiting the amount of times per game a player can fight. There are very few games in which a player should find himself in 3 "legitimate" fights. I'm surprised the league hasn't cut it down to 2 per game years ago. The only guys that ever scrap 3 times a night usually have a couple of "staged" ones included in the number.

[/QUOTE]

I agree dez and I would add that continued pressure on GM's to phase out the clowns is in the works as we speak.  ST's contract is expiring just in time.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

So, let me get this right; the NHL wants to keep helmets on to protect the players' head. But, they allow and even encourage fighting which by definition is focused on injuring the head.  The league speaks out of both sides of its mouth which makes it just a couple of years away from becoming a roller derby or WWF league.  There is no reason for a player to suffer a broken jaw (Corey Tropp) and then hit his head on the ice.  Don't we all know that players get hurt often enough as it is (Bergeron for example). So why inject something stupid like fighting to further cause injuries. I hope fighting disappears within two years.  Think like the NFL, MLB and NBA if you want to be successful like them.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

So, let me get this right; the NHL wants to keep helmets on to protect the players' head. But, they allow and even encourage fighting which by definition is focused on injuring the head.  The league speaks out of both sides of its mouth which makes it just a couple of years away from becoming a roller derby or WWF league.  There is no reason for a player to suffer a broken jaw (Corey Tropp) and then hit his head on the ice.  Don't we all know that players get hurt often enough as it is (Bergeron for example). So why inject something stupid like fighting to further cause injuries. I hope fighting disappears within two years.  Think like the NFL, MLB and NBA if you want to be successful like them.

Yes, you got it right. Helmets on and allow fighting.

Think like the NFL? Check! The NFL has helmets to protect the players yet requires that people smash into each other with extreme violence. By the way, the NFL has a much higher incidence of injury than the NHL.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

Fighting has evolved into a staged act betwen the designated pugilists. I am losing interest. I dont want to see Shawn Thornton fighting everyone elses battles anymore.  In fact that should be the rule change. Fighting without just cause: game misconduct.  If your cross checked, slashed, boarded, etc. or a teamate is too injured to fight for himself after being victimized, then YOU get to fight the guy, not Shawn Thornton gets to fight the guy. 

No more challenging the other guy just to fire up your team. You want to fire up your team check the guy into the front row, then see if he wants to fight.

• Sections
    Shortcuts