Cup Run goes thru Pittsburgh

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Cup Run goes thru Pittsburgh

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Since we're on the topic of going through Pittsburg I just noticed the Bruins had to visit them twice (and were in both these games ) and Pens only go once to Boston. The same with the Habs, they'll visit the Pens twice and already played the only game in Montreal.

How lucky is that ?  I guess just as lucky as Seguin's wrap around not going in.

He wraps that around 99% of the time one of those days. He would like to have that one back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to 4everbruins' comment:

After watching them a few times now, they sure look like the team to beat this year.....assuming they have all their weapons come playoff time.

Don;t buy it.  They're very good, but not buying it.  Wake me when Pitt doesn't beat our back up goalie or get us on a back to back like that.Boston is the better club. 

We play them next month we will get another crack at them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

The 3 teams I hate the most is the Sabres, Habs and the Pens because they all give the Bruins fits and for some reason just can't beat them or play well vs any of those teams. In a short season the Bruins for their own piece of mind have to beat these teams and show like all Bruins know we are the better team before the playoffs.

The Bruins will have make a large move to replace Kelly or Krecji to keep up with the above teams due to injury and it seems to be to be harder for the Bruins to score in close games regarding these teams.

The Bruins D is fine as well as their goaltending, but scoring and the PP seem to be a problem when they need it. As a whole the Bruins can be the most complete team in the NHL but they need help on the 3rd line and the power play. Cam Neely promisred a better power play so where is it, and Ward is not helping the PP, so why is he still here.

As Bruins fans we really can't complain where they are in the standings but if we had A good PP and a better 3rd line we would be better than the Hawks. I hope PC sees what the the Bruins need and gets it because this cup is up for grabs for the team who is hot going into the playoffs. If we can beat the Pens the cup is ours and PC can fix the problems if he is as smart as I know he is. The Bruins have beat  the Pens to win the cup and the only way to do it is physical and addition scoring

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Many feared the Habs in the 2011 playoffs, even going as far as to say the Bs should not play the Les Canadien.  Not I.  I will take sound defense over high offense any day.  I will win with those odds.  Now the team to fear 2013 is the Habs.  The defense is much better than two years ago, and Price is better than Fluery anyday even to Kel. 

In response to brunod's comment:

The 3 teams I hate the most is the Sabres, Habs and the Pens because they all give the Bruins fits and for some reason just can't beat them or play well vs any of those teams. In a short season the Bruins for their own piece of mind have to beat these teams and show like all Bruins know we are the better team before the playoffs.

The Bruins will have make a large move to replace Kelly or Krecji to keep up with the above teams due to injury and it seems to be to be harder for the Bruins to score in close games regarding these teams.

The Bruins D is fine as well as their goaltending, but scoring and the PP seem to be a problem when they need it. As a whole the Bruins can be the most complete team in the NHL but they need help on the 3rd line and the power play. Cam Neely promisred a better power play so where is it, and Ward is not helping the PP, so why is he still here.

As Bruins fans we really can't complain where they are in the standings but if we had A good PP and a better 3rd line we would be better than the Hawks. I hope PC sees what the the Bruins need and gets it because this cup is up for grabs for the team who is hot going into the playoffs. If we can beat the Pens the cup is ours and PC can fix the problems if he is as smart as I know he is. The Bruins have beat  the Pens to win the cup and the only way to do it is physical and addition scoring

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Sorry, but the team to beat is the Bruins themselves.  Stay healthy, remain positive with a changes like in net, and above all make the team better with the extra cap room.  Everything else is media blunderbuss.  So if the Bs win the next two games while Montreal and Pittsburgh remain idle then what would the wonderkind logic think of the chances in the playoff chances of the Bs?  Malkin is good but not that good to dismiss the Bs.  

Amen, i'll take the B's against anybody, eastern or western conference in a 7 gamer, provided they are HEALTHY. If and when we make a trade to add to the core,great, but i'd take the B's against anyone as is, if healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What I saw today was a Bruin team that controlled the play for most of the game and had several really close calls to tie it up - and they didn't go in, so Boston lost.  Seguin on the wrap-around.  Seguin at the back post on the pass from Marchand, long stretches of pressure and opportunity.  They just didn't get the goal.  Pitt had 8 shots in the final two periods.  When the story was reversed on Tuesday, people were saying "you don't get very far taking 18 shots...".  Boston only blocked another 9, so Pitt had 27 shot attempts (not counting missed nets) and Boston had 49.  On the two goals the Bruins gave up, Lucic had the pass to Crosby on his stick and just couldn't control it/stop it, and Vitale made a heck of a shot to put the puck under the bar as he's falling.  If that team didn't have Crosby, I don't think there's any way you say, based on today's game, that they're the team to beat.  Someone go to a Pens board - I bet they're saying "boy they better find their offense because if they don't they'll be gone in the first round...".

As for Boston not having offense - again, team game.  They're the 10th highest scoring team in goals/game, and they don't have a single blowout all year.  They've scored 5 or more goals once this year, but they've scored fewer than 3 goals only six times all year.  That means they get three or four goals in about 78% of their games.  That's a remarkably consistent offense that will have you in every game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

What I saw today was a Bruin team that controlled the play for most of the game and had several really close calls to tie it up - and they didn't go in, so Boston lost.  Seguin on the wrap-around.  Seguin at the back post on the pass from Marchand, long stretches of pressure and opportunity.  They just didn't get the goal.  Pitt had 8 shots in the final two periods.  When the story was reversed on Tuesday, people were saying "you don't get very far taking 18 shots...".  Boston only blocked another 9, so Pitt had 27 shot attempts (not counting missed nets) and Boston had 49.  On the two goals the Bruins gave up, Lucic had the pass to Crosby on his stick and just couldn't control it/stop it, and Vitale made a heck of a shot to put the puck under the bar as he's falling.  If that team didn't have Crosby, I don't think there's any way you say, based on today's game, that they're the team to beat.  Someone go to a Pens board - I bet they're saying "boy they better find their offense because if they don't they'll be gone in the first round...".

As for Boston not having offense - again, team game.  They're the 10th highest scoring team in goals/game, and they don't have a single blowout all year.  They've scored 5 or more goals once this year, but they've scored fewer than 3 goals only six times all year.  That means they get three or four goals in about 78% of their games.  That's a remarkably consistent offense that will have you in every game. 

But they do have Crosby, and a healthy Crosby at that. With a full line up going, this is a very good team........especially since they seem to be improving their defensive side of the game. And they are leading the league in Goals For so I don't see a problem on the offensive side of their game.

Don't get me wrong, the Bruins can compete with them on any given day. However, circling back to my original post, I do believe to get the Cup finals, they'll have to go thru Mr. Crosby & Co.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

But they do have Crosby, and a healthy Crosby at that. With a full line up going, this is a very good team........especially since they seem to be improving their defensive side of the game. And they are leading the league in Goals For so I don't see a problem on the offensive side of their game.

Don't get me wrong, the Bruins can compete with them on any given day. However, circling back to my original post, I do believe to get the Cup finals, they'll have to go thru Mr. Crosby & Co.

They had Crosby last year too. They also had Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, etc. They still got bounced in 6 by Philly. They're a great team but whether they can win a best of 7 is still open for debate until they do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Unless of course ,as has been mentioned, they meet the Flyers in the first round, then the B's won't have to worry about it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

They had Crosby last year too. They also had Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, etc. They still got bounced in 6 by Philly. They're a great team but whether they can win a best of 7 is still open for debate until they do it.

Indeed they did, albeit a Crosby that probably wasn't 100%. I think alot also depends on how things line up in the 1st/2nd round. We all know some teams match up better against others.....for whatever reason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Indeed they did, albeit a Crosby that probably wasn't 100%. I think alot also depends on how things line up in the 1st/2nd round. We all know some teams match up better against others.....for whatever reason.

I agree with you there for sure. Buffalo has been as tough as anyone the Bruins have played so far but everyone else is beating up on them. Strange how it works sometimes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

After watching them a few times now, they sure look like the team to beat this year.....assuming they have all their weapons come playoff time.

Don;t buy it.  They're very good, but not buying it.  Wake me when Pitt doesn't beat our back up goalie or get us on a back to back like that.

Boston is the better club. 

Pittsburgh was on a back to back and had their back up in net today. Should I wake you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Worry yes, because the B's can't beat the Pens. Why becacse of a bad 3rd line , bad timely scoring and a bad PP. If the B's can fix any of these problems thei is a chance but if not we will sit on the edge of our seats and watch them closely lose in the 1st or 2nd rd. of the playoffs.

PC has to make a move and a good one or  our Bruins will have wait until next year with a lot less cap space .

If the Bruins can get 4 lines going in the right direction we can do it if PC pulls off the right moves now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The Cup went thru Pittsburgh in 2009 and won't be going thru there again for as long as Crosby and Malkin play on the same team.

Yeah, the Penguinos seem hot but don't get fooled. It's only temporary. Theteam is just going thru the euphoria of not having to play with Malkin. Once he returns the Penguinos get back to normal.

Mark down the hot teams as of today, you'll be surprised to see all of these teams heading home during the first week of May.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They out-played them for most of today and the Pens got one more bounce.  The Cup run doesn't go through them any more than it does Montreal or Boston.  My point about "if they didn't have Crosby" was not that he makes them so much better (of course he does) but that even with him, if he wasn't the marketing arm of the NHL, you might not watch a game like today's and think wow, what a great team they are.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

They out-played them for most of today and the Pens got one more bounce.  The Cup run doesn't go through them any more than it does Montreal or Boston.  My point about "if they didn't have Crosby" was not that he makes them so much better (of course he does) but that even with him, if he wasn't the marketing arm of the NHL, you might not watch a game like today's and think wow, what a great team they are.

Which is why I thought there was very little to separate them today, Book. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

Oh c'mon folks.  What have we learned in the age of parity?  Tell the LA Kings that last year; they torched the Top 3 seeds in the West on their way to a Cup.   Yeah, the Nuck-Nucks were the team to beat, lol.

How many recent seasons have the NYR, VAN, DET, PITT, SJ, the Caps, even the Bs in 09-10 look like the teams to beat and come up short? 

The Pens could win it all or could just as likely be taken out in the 1st round.  Anybody's guess.

NO ONE expected what the Caps did last season's playoffs - that they were even capable of playing that kind of hockey.  They almost knocked off the NYR, too.  (And should have to be honest with you)

Which makes the NHL awesome!  I like that any team can knock off the other.  I mean if Pitt finishes 1st and the Flyers 8th you can bet Pitt will have their hands full.  Some teams just play others better.  

I continue to say this but I don't think any team will beat Boston if we get hot goaltending, stay healthy and add a few pieces to the puzzle.  No team Pitt/Chicago included have a Chara to play 30mins and basically stop anyones best player.  They have the best PK so playing hard nosed hockey should continue.  They have 2 excellent top lines who know what it takes to win.  I have said it prio to the season and throughout that a solid depth Dman is needed in case of injury and to push the current top 6.  And I have like others have pleaded to land a solid 3rd line option and possible an extra 4th line guy.  I don't want Caron, Pandolfo or Ray Jr on the ice in the playoffs.  And biting tongue UI can live with our 4th line which includes Clowny McDoNothing. 

My ideal trade:

Iggy/Sarich/Jackman- Iggy who isn't a 3rd line player makes our top 3 lines sing. No one can match this.  Sarich in my eyes is better then AF/AM and gives us a rugged playoff vet who is signed for a modest $2M next year.  Jackman is a guy who kills PIMS and is a better player then ST. 

I'd be willing to give Caron, Spooner and a 1st this 2nd next to get these three.  We would be loaded up front.  I know Iggy isnt a 3rd line player.  But if we want to beat a Pitt or Chicago I think we need this depth up front.  You can bet both Pitt/Chicago/Montreal will all be looking to nab Iggy.  I think he would be a perfect fit and set us apart from the other contenders. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's a lot to give up for a rental, but again, it amounts to nothing off the active roster (except Caron, who would be benched in this scenario anyway).  In terms of this year's run, it's money for nothing.

If I have qualms about that deal, shupe, it's that Iginla is not that Iginla we knew.  You'd be hoping for a Recchi-like resurgence.  He's Calgary's fourth leading scorer, behing Stempniak and just ahead of Stajan.  He has 1 PPG all year, and Calgary's PP is actually pretty competent.  So you'd be paying as though you were getting a first line winger and you might actually be getting a 3rd liner - regardless of where he plays. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

That's a lot to give up for a rental, but again, it amounts to nothing off the active roster (except Caron, who would be benched in this scenario anyway).  In terms of this year's run, it's money for nothing.

If I have qualms about that deal, shupe, it's that Iginla is not that Iginla we knew.  You'd be hoping for a Recchi-like resurgence.  He's Calgary's fourth leading scorer, behing Stempniak and just ahead of Stajan.  He has 1 PPG all year, and Calgary's PP is actually pretty competent.  So you'd be paying as though you were getting a first line winger and you might actually be getting a 3rd liner - regardless of where he plays. 

Iggy is notorious for slow starts.  Then he always finishes with 30.  Its just what he does.  Year in, year out, every year.  He's just that good.  And you can bet your bottom dollar he would be jacked to head to a team with a chance to win the cup.   And I think with the Bruins he wouldn't be a rental.  I think if dealt he signs with that team since he will have to waive his NTC to go.   He's not the Iggy of old but he simply produces like clock work.  I would have no worries about him at all, I think he's a perfect fit and wouldn't be an issue with less ice time.  I think adding a quality player like him would be best case scenario.   I think they need a homerun before the deadline.  I don't want Pitt or another contending team grabbing him first. 

I think my offer was a little too much now that I have looked it over.   Not sure Caron is gonna be in the mix at all.  Spooner yes. Someone will give the Flames a 1st rounder for him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Some of these thoughts areOk and probably what Claude would prefer, but Peter needs to watch the cost vs. benefit in this revised NHL financial plan. Add a sniper, maybe Spooner, to the third line, and replace Thornton with Caron. That's if we have Kreji and kelly back. Without one or both it's more of a scramble

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bogie,

This team is pretty much locked up for the next few yrs.  Rask is gonna get 5 million.  Horton will walk unless he signs for 5 or less.  Ference can be replaced by cheaper option.  And we can always deal a guy if we had to.  Sarich is signed for 2 million next year.  Thats why I like him   He's gonna be cheaper and is better then AF. 

No on Spooner for 3rd line this year.  Next maybe.  No on Caron for 4th line.  I am twitching saying I would rather have ST out there. 

I think teams only get so many shots at winning.  Chara will be a year older and he is why I would upgrade now and make a huge push to win this year.  

Worry about the cap after the cup parade

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Bruins would murder the pens in a playoff series............their defense and goaltending is suspect........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Its too early for this stuff, nobody thought the Bruins would win the cup 2 years ago...u just never know

Sections
Shortcuts