Current league leader in plus/minus is...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Re: Current league leader in plus/minus is...

'dezaruchi' I know you're preaching patience with Claude over Seguin's minutes, and you're probably right - there will be no holding this kid back. But i wasn't comparing Seguin's minutes to other Bruins, I was comparing his minutes to those of the League's present elite - the guys who are putting up the points for their respective teams' benefit.

To me, Seguin is being slightly under-used at 16:46 minutes a game.

Let the horse run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

..as I stated eleswhere - Tyler Seguin is presently 10th in scoring - with a bullet! - but has the fewest minutes of anyone in the Top 45!

Claude has to make sure that by trying to keep the kid's feet on the ground, he's not inadvertantly clipping his wings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Current league leader in plus/minus is...:
    [QUOTE]'dezaruchi' I know you're preaching patience with Claude over Seguin's minutes, and you're probably right - there will be no holding this kid back. But i wasn't comparing Seguin's minutes to other Bruins, I was comparing his minutes to those of the League's present elite - the guys who are putting up the points for their respective teams' benefit. To me, Seguin is being slightly under-used at 16:46 minutes a game. Let the horse run.  
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    You mean those elite players that don't play for the Stanley Cup champions? Look, I'm as big a Seguin supporter as there is. Ask anyone here. Bottom line is he's part of a team effort that is working well. Why worry about it? A big reason why other stars see big minutes on other teams is because unlike Boston, they can't put out another line as good as the "star line". Boston happens to have 2 great lines and I like it. Jesus, where were you back in May when I was pulling to keep this kid in the lineup? In all seriousness though, I expect his ice-time to increase as the year progresses. I'm happy if he's still got the legs come playoffs. I don't know if you saw the end of Detroit-Nashville series but it was pretty obvious that Datsyuk and Zetterberg had nothing left in the tank when Nashville beat them. Improper utilization of the talent cost Babcock and the Wings that series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

The Stanley Cup was last year. This team is still under .500. Claude Giroux gets 20 minutes a game and as good as he is he can't hold Seguin's jock
    Zetterburg's old and Datsyuk could barely walk last year.
    The kid's 19. Two more minutes a game is not gonna kill him.

And I'm not talking about taking away any precious minutes from Shawn Thornton - I'm talking about double-shifting Seguin on the Powerplay. I know it is entirely antithetical to the way Julien does things, but, heck they've tried everything else on the Powerplay and the thing it's always lacked was a 'finisher'. Now they have one.

Claude Julien may have to take a course about how to coach the next Gretzky

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The Stanley Cup was last year. This team is still under .500. Claude Giroux gets 20 minutes a game and as good as he is he can't hold Seguin's jock Zetterburg's old and Datsyuk could barely walk last year. The kid's 19. Two more minutes a game is not gonna kill him. And I'm not talking about taking away any precious minutes from Shawn Thornton - I'm talking about double-shifting Seguin on the Powerplay. I know it is entirely antithetical to the way Julien does things, but, heck they've tried everything else on the Powerplay and the thing it's always lacked was a 'finisher'. Now they have one. Claude Julien may have to take a course about how to coach the next Gretzky  
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    They've won 3 in a row with Seguin seeing an increase in ice-time( except in a 7-0 rout of the Leafs). I'm not sure what more you're looking for. They can't win 2 at a time. Talk to me after a loss in which Seguin sees less ice than you think he should. Then I'll yell along with you. I don't worry about it after wins. Like I said, other teams play their stars big minutes because they often have no choice. PC does.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

fair enough
    I did like; "They can't win 2 at a time"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]fair enough I did like; "They can't win 2 at a time"  
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    Hey, at least we can agree that Seguin is awesome. Man, it feels good to say is instead of will be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]So, Im the only one that thinks that Julien knew what he was doing by bringing the kid along slowly last year?
    Posted by Bleedinblackandgold[/QUOTE]

I can't agree with this.  There is no evidence that points to it being true.  Seguin was loaded to the hilt with skill at the beginning.

We can say that Julien's approach doesn't show major damaging effects.

We cannot say that Julien is the cause of Seguin's success so far this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]Are you really giving Claude credit for Seguin's play this year? Maybe............JUST maybe, Seguin would have done the same thing last year as well if he were just paired with a decent line and given more than 30 seconds a game.  Seguin is so fun, everyone in the stands or in the bar stops and watches when he has the puck.....Now be careful with all the years to come talk....remember another skilled puck handler names Samsonov that we all loved so much....what happened to him?
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

Exactly had he been paired with players other than 4th liners and given more ice time and given power play time I think the devolpment would have been much greater than it was last season. I am glad he is looking to be on track to being a true star in this league this season. I don't think claude is to be praised for finaly having the common sense to give seguin more of a chance. There is no excuse as to why this didn't happen last season. Me Joe fan boy could tell by watching Seguin last year could see he was our most offensivley gifted player on the team not saying the best hockey player but his offensive skill set were the best on the team. I beleived in him and glad I drafted him in fantasy hockey this season oh yes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Playing on the line with marchand and bergy is a big bonus for seguin. The more ice time for the kid with bergy the more he will shine. Tyler can be more offensive with two all around players on the same line. Now that the KHL line is stepping up the better for bruins nation. It is evident that the $152,000.00 hangover is clearing. My prediction that i posted recently saying the bruins will step up in nov. is coming true 9-2-2- record for nov., so far the three b's are 3-0.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE] Yes,Seguin will benefit from playing with Bergeron and Marchand.Marchand can keep up/stay close enough to Seguin to give and go with him while Bergeron will make the slick passes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Current league leader in plus/minus is... : I can't agree with this.  There is no evidence that points to it being true.  Seguin was loaded to the hilt with skill at the beginning. We can say that Julien's approach doesn't show major damaging effects. We cannot say that Julien is the cause of Seguin's success so far this year.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    He may have had skill last year but he didn't have any tenacity .He wasn't willing to pay the price last year.He was tentative,it was totally understandable given his age .As far as positioning goes he was often out of place, especially in his own zone.He has improved by leaps and bounds as far as that goes .He is now putting himself in better positions to utilize the great skill that he has and had last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Current league leader in plus/minus is... : He may have had skill last year but he didn't have any tenacity .He wasn't willing to pay the price last year.He was tentative,it was totally understandable given his age .As far as positioning goes he was often out of place, especially in his own zone.He has improved by leaps and bounds as far as that goes .He is now putting himself in better positions to utilize the great skill that he has and had last year.
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of that, but I can't say it's because Julien limited his ice time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Current league leader in plus/minus is... : He may have had skill last year but he didn't have any tenacity .He wasn't willing to pay the price last year.He was tentative,it was totally understandable given his age .As far as positioning goes he was often out of place, especially in his own zone.He has improved by leaps and bounds as far as that goes .He is now putting himself in better positions to utilize the great skill that he has and had last year.
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

So he wouldn't have helped the bruins power play at all?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think anyone can say that Julien handled Seguin perfectly or whatever.  Who really knows.

But giving the alarming rate of progress in the kid's game after one year, it sure seems like a valid opinion to say that Julien did not "mishandle" him.

As I said before, ice time with Julien is (typically) earned.  Especially for young players.  Seguin didn't play well enough to earn much more time last year, like Marchand did.  This year is a different story.  If nothing else, I think Julien has been fair.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]..as I stated eleswhere - Tyler Seguin is presently 10th in scoring - with a bullet! - but has the fewest minutes of anyone in the Top 45! Claude has to make sure that by trying to keep the kid's feet on the ground, he's not inadvertantly clipping his wings.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    Just to put an exclamation mark on this, threre is only one player making better use of his ice-time (in terms of goal-scoring) than Seguin:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think anyone can say that Julien handled Seguin perfectly or whatever.  Who really knows. But giving the alarming rate of progress in the kid's game after one year, it sure seems like a valid opinion to say that Julien did not "mishandle" him. As I said before, ice time with Julien is (typically) earned.  Especially for young players.  Seguin didn't play well enough to earn much more time last year, like Marchand did.  This year is a different story.  If nothing else, I think Julien has been fair.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Especially to the team in general Fletch. All those who think Seguin was mishandled last year should remember CJ's goal is to win the Cup above ALL else. Mission accomplished and Seguin is still looking like he's headed towards super-stardom. I really don't see any problem. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Current league leader in plus/minus is... : Especially to the team in general Fletch. All those who think Seguin was mishandled last year should remember CJ's goal is to win the Cup above ALL else. Mission accomplished and Seguin is still looking like he's headed towards super-stardom. I really don't see any problem. 
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Absoluetely.  If mishandling the kid involves fitting him for a ring at age 19...carry on Claude.

The Calder is typically an award for good rookies on bad teams.  Seguin never had a chance, much to our good fortune.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

Just think - during the summertime we were debating whether TS deserved to be given a shot on the "2nd" line this year.  Some of us were predicting him on the 3rd line with Kelly and Poulliot.  I say this is his second year of Bruin apprenticeship - playing the wing and getting actual ice-time with quality players.  His next step is at centre, which I suspect will be next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I don't want to see the SBM line broken up. Personally I think that line will be an absolute point machine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I agree, lambda. Bergy has never had an elite player with him in Boston. He now has that opportunity. There was a post a few weeks ago about how Bergeron's offensive skills weren't appreciated around the league enough. Well, here's his chance. With Seguin, who's limit is somewhere around....the sky, and Marchand, who was able to pot 20+ goals in his rookie season, and lit it up in the playoffs, this line could get really crazy. I think Bergeron finishes in the 70's this year in terms of points if this line can remain healthy for the most part.

A little off topic here.....but does anyone feel that if Spooner or Khoklachev can add some size, and thus hold down his own a little more defensively, the Bruins could be a force offensively while still maintaining a very good defensive team? I mean, from everything that I hear, Spooner is the real deal, and has comparable talent to Krejci offensively. I heard Koko is doing really well also. Does anyone think that the development of these two kids could go a really long way? Right now, that 3rd line can produce occasional offense, but isn't really a threat. Adding one or two young guns who are able to hold it down defensively, while adding a little scoring punch would take this team to the next level.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If the third line is Peverley-Kelly-XX, those first two guys are both contributing roughly 45 point seasons at the moment.  That's not "occasional," it's superb from your third line.

I like the behind the net stat, but I'm always suspiscious of anomalies like Jim Slater in the top 5.

"the next Gretzky..." Who knew Awry is "Stanley" in some language!  Wow.  If you're right, I think Stanley might also prove right.

CJ and Seguin: Just as you can't say CJ 'caused' Seguin's improvement, you can't say he didn't "damage" him because you can't measure the damage against a perfect way of handling him last year.  Measuring this kind of thing is tricky.  I look at it as CJ handled Seguin the way he did because he wanted to expose him to the demands of being an NHL professional without damaging his confidence or trying to change the things that make him potentially great.  Seguin looks more comfortable playing against NHL players (!!!) and clearly has confidence in his game.  Goals achieved.  Everything else is speculation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]I like the behind the net stat, but I'm always suspicious of anomalies like Jim Slater in the top 5.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    I tried to filter out the guys that had played so little that their results are skewed (otherwise Colton Orr tops the list!), since Slater is there it seems like he's being more successful than we realize.  Perhaps Winnipeg needs to give him more ice time?

Now, if you really want to go overboard with stats, look at (+/-)/60 minutes of ice time:

Given that he's the league leader in +/- the result isn't that big of a surprise.  What is telling though is that he's way ahead of anyone he's had as a linemate this season, suggesting that he's been a driving force for that stat (at least on the offensive side) rather than just the beneficiary of good team play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey, compare his second year stats with the other guy's second year stats and TS is looking like he will far outpace the other guy.  And realize that Tyle is younger in his 2nd season than the other guy.

Sections
Shortcuts