Cut resistant socks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Cut resistant socks

So with the cut resistant socks, Karlsson wasn't wearing one and got cut bad, but Redmond was wearing them and he still got smoked. The difference seems to be that they are designed to protect from slashing cuts like what happened to Karlsson so he may have been proteced had he had them on. However they aren't designed to protect from pressure cuts. In Redmond's case his teammate accidentally stood on him with his skate, and the socks don't do much for protecting fromthat kind of cut.

how many cuts do you think come from a slashing motion vs. a pressure cut? Are they about 50/50? This is a good illustration that they aren't perfect protection in all circumstances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Cut resistant socks

Red, reports have it that he got cut above the back of the knee. I  believe they don't go up that high.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/winnipeg-jets-zach-redmond-cut-by-skate-in-practice-022113

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Huh, just double checked - and you're right it went through his game sock, but sliced him above the cut resistant sock - my bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I got cut when I was a bantam when someone's skate slid down my shin pad and underneath the tongue of my skate and cut the front of my ankle.  I noticed it hurt when I got to the bench.  I have no idea how it happened.  It may have been my own foot somehow as I know my skates were particularly sharp that day.

I've always either taped the tongue onto my shin pad or put the tongues under my shinpads ever since.

With all the guys who leave the tongues on their skates loose like I used to I'm surprised that cut doesn't happen more often.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I got cut when I was a bantam when someone's skate slid down my shin pad and underneath the tongue of my skate and cut the front of my ankle.  I noticed it hurt when I got to the bench.  I have no idea how it happened.  It may have been my own foot somehow as I know my skates were particularly sharp that day.

I've always either taped the tongue onto my shin pad or put the tongues under my shinpads ever since.

With all the guys who leave the tongues on their skates loose like I used to I'm surprised that cut doesn't happen more often.

Only time I was badly cut was a bit of a fluke, but I've changed how I strap my pads because of it. I was in the corner and the opposing RW beat me to the puck on a dump in, but she lost her edge as she got to it and went t over a, and caught me under my left shoulder pad, just slid right up there in a fluke. I was bleeding all over the place and needed some thread. Now I err on the side of caution and strap that edge down with one loop of hockey tape.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Q & A :

You Matt Cooked yourself ?

Was it intentional ? 

Did your league review the play and suspend you ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Q & A :

You Matt Cooked yourself ?

Was it intentional ? 

Did your league review the play and suspend you ?

Back in my day the film crew painted the play by play as best they could on the inside of cave walls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Only time I was badly cut was a bit of a fluke, but I've changed how I strap my pads because of it. I was in the corner and the opposing RW beat me to the puck on a dump in, but she lost her edge as she got to it and went t over a, and caught me under my left shoulder pad, just slid right up there in a fluke. I was bleeding all over the place and needed some thread. Now I err on the side of caution and strap that edge down with one loop of hockey tape.

Mine was only 5 stitches, but then being a typical reckless kid I played with it and got a severe infection that nearly went up to my groin.  Things got really REALLY ugly after that.

These incidental things happen, it's a dangerous sport.

I remember back in the 70's a kid was cut in the beck (presume jugular vein) and died.  It was in Watertown and I skated at that rink after, but before I found out what happened.  I remember wondering what the enormous red spot was near center ice.  Can you imagine?  Outrageous that they didn't clean it up.  It was in Watertown MA and I can't remember exactly when, but 70's or 80's.

And of course similar stuff has happened in the NHL, and we'll probably see it again.

Dangerous sport for sure.  Not sure a whole heckuva lot can be done about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Leagues require much better protection these days, although My view of the cage is it encourages high sticks. We played on outdoor ice, without helmets, and I not only suffered a concussion, but swallowed my tongue. Thank God for a teammate who pulled it out. I don't remember anything, but playing and then waking uop in the hospital

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

You swallowed your own tongue? What?

Cages don't encourage high sticks, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If I didn't wear a cage I would have had to have gotten stitches at least half a dozen times and I've only started playing again for a little over a year. These old guys don't know what the heck they are doing with their sticks these days. I have dental insurance but have no intentions of having teeth replaced anytime soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Leagues require much better protection these days, although My view of the cage is it encourages high sticks. We played on outdoor ice, without helmets, and I not only suffered a concussion, but swallowed my tongue. Thank God for a teammate who pulled it out. I don't remember anything, but playing and then waking uop in the hospital

This is impossible. 

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/its-impossible-to-swallow-your-tongue/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

"Swallowing your toungue" is usually used as a colloquialism for choking on your own toungue, which is highly uncommon, but not impossible. From you own link

"Depending on the size of someone’s tongue and where the lingual frenulum is attached, it is possible for a person having a seizure to have their airway temporarily blocked by a fully relaxed tongue."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

"Swallowing your toungue" is usually used as a colloquialism for choking on your own toungue, which is highly uncommon, but not impossible. From you own link

"Depending on the size of someone’s tongue and where the lingual frenulum is attached, it is possible for a person having a seizure to have their airway temporarily blocked by a fully relaxed tongue."

Temporary blocked doesn't mean swallowed. CPR trainers will tell you that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Temporary blocked doesn't mean swallowed. CPR trainers will tell you that.

I know it doesn't mean that - it's a colloquialism, as I said above. It's not intended to be taken literally, any writer will tell you that, and anyone who does take it literally understands neither biology nor English. It's scientifically impossible for someone to have their "head up their butt" as well, but it's not intended to be taken literally.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I know it doesn't mean that - it's a colloquialism, as I said above. It's not intended to be taken literally, any writer will tell you that. It's scientifically impossible for someone to have their "head up their butt" as well, but it's not intended to be taken literally.

Bogie said a teammate pulled his tongue out. Does that sound like he was using it as a colloquialism ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oh my.  Worst conversation in a long time.

Cut resistant socks leading to BHab stepping on himself with sharp skates and ending with the physical possibilities of Bogie swallowing his own tongue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"although My view of the cage is it encourages high sticks"

Are you sure you weren't playing Indoor Lacrosse ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bogie said a teammate pulled his tongue out. Does that sound like he was using it as a colloquialism ?

That does sound a little over the top, but if it was temporarily blocking his airway, it's a possibility. Despite being an epileptic myself I have never experienced this, so I'm not sure how long the temporary block would last and whether such an intervention would be necessary (or even possible).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Cut resistant socks leading to BHab stepping on himself with sharp skates and ending with the physical possibilities of Bogie swallowing his own tongue.

yeah, likely right there lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I've seen worse.

http://www.boston.com/community/user/5005238

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

LOL  Good one.

Sections
Shortcuts