D call up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: D call up

In Response to Re: D call up:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: D call up : He was a Wolverine, no?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Yes another Wolverine and a pretty good hockey program.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to D call up : Anybody who is willing to pinch in when the puck is on the boards in the ofinsive zone. Granted Buffalo lost the game but their D was keeping the puck in the B's zone time after time. If I see one more Bruin defenseman backing out of the zone when the puck approaches the blue line -- I gonna freak. Not sad that Hunwick is gone but I liked his agressive style in the offensive zone.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]
    Does it also bother you that Boston rarely gives up 2on1's because the D won't pinch?Gotta take the good with the bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: D call up : He was a Wolverine, no?
    I generally prefer CHL players but must admit the NCAA d-men are generally closer to NHL ready  than the CHL kids.Mainly due to age,strength,development through coaching,it seems more likely for a D-man to step in straight from college.Straight from junior is far more rare.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckstopa. Show puckstopa's posts

Looks like Stuart will be out some time, rumors out of Boston have Stuart with a possible broken arm, depending on the location of the break looks like a 3-6 week time table for return. Get use to Kampfer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Humor me sans... Its simple really.. Look at the olympic rosters for defenseman.. you can check the juniors too...  The ohl, whl, and q pump out defenseman that are 10x superior in quality to college. and they are younger.
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

If 52% percent of the NHL is Canadian and 20% are Americans, the above logic does not work.  There are bound to be better defensemen just based on those numbers.  The number of Americans playing the NHL has increased 6 or 7% in the last ten years.  Then it would be logical to look ahead and make an estimate that there will be more defensemen coming from the US college and university systems.  PC is doing due diligence by stockpiling these types of defensemen as he attempts to fill the forward position and more recently the wing position in the last several drafts.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: D call up : Just not true.  There are certainly a lot of good defensmen coming out of juniors, but do you want the list of top-4 NHL defensmen from college and Europe??  It is a lengthy one... "10x superior" -- we're not on the elementary school playground bud...

I was being literal. Just cause they played college doesnt mean theyre american born... Duncan kieth is probably the best example. Left college to go to the W...  The list of american born defenseman that played college hockey... there are 10 canadiens that are better for every one of them. Please dont throw in names like andrew alberts or tom poti.. why didnt dustin byfulgien, tyelr myers or john carlson go play college hockey? i shouldnt say Byff really tho, he isnt a defenseman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

The college defense are older and more mature, true, but they dont face the talent guys in the W, O or Q face.  Its really apples and oranges. Guys are older ,vs younger, college forwards are always smaller, major junior guys are usually bigger, and stronger. Its like comparing gionta, vanek, toews to thornton, Getzlaf and eric stahl.. high levels of talent, just bred differently.

Imagine lucic as a senior at boston college... not too many 5'11 d-man are gonna fair well in the corner with him. (just an example)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The list of american born defenseman that played college hockey... there are 10 canadiens that are better for every one of them. Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

Again your hyperbole ruins your argument and I am left to think that you really don't know what you're talking about.  Ryan Suter, J.M. Liles, Eric Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Alex Goligiski, Jordan Leopold, Andy Greene are just a few of the better American born college players in the NHL.  These guys aren't even on the same level as junior guys?  Check again.

And if your argument is College vs. Junior, why does it matter where they were born?  Dan Boyle was college defensmen at Miami-Ohio, should he be thrown out because he was born in Canada?  Same with Kevin Bieksa.  Makes no sense.  Try to focus your argument.  I think you are arguing from a perspective of Canadian patriotism, not logic.

Canadian junior probably develops the best, and most, defensmen.  But the NCAA regularly puts good d-men in the NHL.  Europe too.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]The college defense are older and more mature, true, but they dont face the talent guys in the W, O or Q face.  Its really apples and oranges. Guys are older ,vs younger, college forwards are always smaller, major junior guys are usually bigger, and stronger. Its like comparing gionta, vanek, toews to thornton, Getzlaf and eric stahl.. high levels of talent, just bred differently. Imagine lucic as a senior at boston college... not too many 5'11 d-man are gonna fair well in the corner with him. (just an example)

The size of the players in college is often bigger than in junior -- c'mon now you're losing it.  You can try to argue that the talent is better in junior, but not the size.  College rosters more and more are made up of players that went to American junior after high school and then start as freshmen at age 20/21.  Look at the rosters, do your homework.  I suspect you know a lot about junior hockey and nothing about college hockey. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: D call up : The list of american born defenseman that played college hockey... there are 10 canadiens that are better for every one of them. Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE] Again your hyperbole ruins your argument and I am left to think that you really don't know what you're talking about.  Ryan Suter, J.M. Liles, Eric Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Alex Goligiski, Jordan Leopold, Andy Greene are just a few of the better American born college players in the NHL.  These guys aren't even on the same level as junior guys?  Check again. And if your argument is College vs. Junior, why does it matter where they were born?  Dan Boyle was college defensmen at Miami-Ohio, should he be thrown out because he was born in Canada?  Same with Kevin Bieksa.  Makes no sense.  Try to focus your argument.  I think you are arguing from a perspective of Canadian patriotism, not logic. Canadian junior probably develops the best, and most, defensmen.  But the NCAA regularly puts good d-men in the NHL.  Europe too.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Your missing my point... Im talkin about quality... you named 5 good defenseman..If you want to consider komisrek, poti, alberts, Boyle, winsneiski, or matteau, tim gleason -Good defenseman, sorry... Brooks orpik is a good defenseman, no question, maybe great... Do you take them over doughty, campbell, anyone on team canada's roster? Shea weber, seabrook...

there are maybe five colleges that regularly send guys to the pros.. take out michigan, bc and bu... and its feww and far between.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

haha, im losing it? name the best college hockey players in the game, and tell how big they are.. cmon, man.

Gionta
    kessel
    parise
    vanek
    toews
    st louis

not to mention.. most nhlers from college leave before they graduate too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: D call up : Again your hyperbole ruins your argument and I am left to think that you really don't know what you're talking about.  Ryan Suter, J.M. Liles, Eric Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Alex Goligiski, Jordan Leopold, Andy Greene are just a few of the better American born college players in the NHL.  These guys aren't even on the same level as junior guys?  Check again. And if your argument is College vs. Junior, why does it matter where they were born?  Dan Boyle was college defensmen at Miami-Ohio, should he be thrown out because he was born in Canada?  Same with Kevin Bieksa.  Makes no sense.  Try to focus your argument.  I think you are arguing from a perspective of Canadian patriotism, not logic. Canadian junior probably develops the best, and most, defensmen.  But the NCAA regularly puts good d-men in the NHL.  Europe too.  Sorry, that's just the way it is. Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE] Your missing my point... Im talkin about quality... you named 5 good defenseman..If you want to consider komisrek, poti, alberts, Boyle, winsneiski, or matteau, tim gleason -Good defenseman, sorry... Brooks orpik is a good defenseman, no question, maybe great... Do you take them over doughty, campbell, anyone on team canada's roster? Shea weber, seabrook... there are maybe five colleges that regularly send guys to the pros.. take out michigan, bc and bu... and its feww and far between.

Shep, I'm sorry, I just don't think you follow or know much about college hockey.  I agree the better d-men are coming from Canadian junior, but they are generally still on the same level.

Colleges that regularly put guys in the pros:
    BU
    BC
    Michigan
    Michigan St.
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    North Dakota
    Denver
    Colorado College
    Maine
    Miami-Ohio
    Ohio St.

Other Hockey east schools have a handful and random other schools have more than you think (Dartmouth - David Jones, Galiardi, Stempniak, Tanner Glass to name a few).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Tim Thomas played for UVM

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]haha, im losing it? name the best college hockey players in the game, and tell how big they are.. cmon, man.

John Scott, Geroge Parros, Brian Boyle, Mike Komisarek, Andrew Alberts, Ryan Whitney, Tim Gleason, Mark Stuart, Dustin Penner, Doug Murray, Eric Johnson, David Backes, Matt Greene, Matt Smaby, etc...

Yeah, those guys are tiny.  Great point.  Why don't you look up the sizes on those guys and get back to me...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

I know alot about college hockey..  if theyre small, they can score, if they are tall, they are usually scared of the corners. and you have a better chance in the nHL if your a goalie.

That said.. for the bruins sake.. i think this whole "small, puck moving defenseman" is just a phase the bruins are going thru... if i rememebr correctly, do you remember sinden and oconnel in the early 2000's drafting everyone from across the pond? thinking they could win with better stick handling forwards?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

of your list..  maybe three i would take on this bruins team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with you that the better college hockey players are usually small, but the balance of the roster is not, because so many guys are around 23 years old.  The big tough fighting types usually go to junior since you can't drop 'em in college without a suspension.

Agreed on the Europeans too -- the Bruins wasted many a draft pick over there, but for every five lemons you get a David Krejci.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]of your list..  maybe three i would take on this bruins team.

I would take Boyle, Whitney, Penner, Doug Murray, Eric Johnson, and Backes, any day of the week on this Bruins team...and we already have Stuart...

and that's just the biggest of the big...Dany Heatley is pretty big too...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

just one last thing tho... how many college hockey players graduate? it cant be many. ktachuck, drury, kariya, depietro,  i could even say bobby carpenter straight from highschool, talking decades ago, its been happening that long.. is it safe to say, if your good enough to leave college early, chances are youll have a longer career in the nhl? its like some of those guys, belonged in juniors and a minor league system when they were 18-19...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Anyone know how "big" Ray Bourque was?  How about Brian Leetch?  Duncan Keith anyone? Drew Doughty?  Nicklas Lidstrom?  Mike Green?  How is that list of D men?  Are they too small?  Size can be over rated.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone know how "big" Ray Bourque was?  How about Brian Leetch?  Duncan Keith anyone? Drew Doughty?  Nicklas Lidstrom?  Mike Green?  How is that list of D men?  Are they too small?  Size can be over rated.  
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    Though Bourque was only 5'11" he was 215 pounds.Hardly a small man.
    '

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Kampfer 5'11" 197 lbs. 22 yrs. old and will continue to fill out.

Bourque 5'11" 223 at the end of his career  as a rookie 5'11" 197

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

ray bourque was  a first round draft pick playing in the nhl at 18 years old... any comparison to kampfer just because of size is ridiculous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Leetch 6'1" 190
    Lidstrom 6'1" 193
    Keith 6'1" 196
    Doughty 6'1" 219
    Green 6'2" 208
    Stuart 6'2" 213

The average height and weight of a player in the NHL is around 6'1" 205 lbs.  Looks to me like Kampfer is plenty big enough to play in the NHL no matter if he played in college or juniors, or if he is American or Canadian.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Your comment was about size, not mine.  My point is not to compare Kampfer to any of these players talent, only to make a point that you don't have to be the size of Chara, Myers, Pronger, etc... to play in the league and to play at the highest level. 

Sections
Shortcuts