Dale Hunter not returning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Dale Hunter not returning

I know some will be glad because of his defensive style and i know he owns a team but still, kind of suprised.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7928759/washington-capitals-coach-dale-hunter-return-2012-13

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Dale Hunter not returning

Surprising, yes -- but also a move that makes me respect the guy a bit more. 

For many hockey coaches, working in the NHL is the 'dream job', but for some, it's enough to do what you love, thinking about what's best for your family.

Perhaps I'm reading more into this than I should, but the article doesn't give you too much to go on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

As a player Hunter was wired.  He was a decent player who went over the edge. It is speculation, but under the quiet demeanor as a coach, I wonder if things were just eating him alive.  His defensive style was as someone said on here, appropriate for the Caps if they were to win a series.  I won't miss the "rope a dope" hockey though.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

what the hell? This makes no sense. something must be happening behind the scenes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not surprised at all - he owns and coaches the most financially successful team in Juniors, he's got his family there working with him, he's got his farm. I think he knows what's most important to him, and that doesn't include coaching in the NHL.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

He made it pretty clear his family connections in London were what's important. He said he's going home.  Good for him.

I have to say I wish he hadn't stuck around long enough to coach that team into a defensive shell effective enough to eliminate the B's but you have to give him credit for success.  I dunno that his .500 record is enough over an 82 game schedule, but it works in the playoffs, even if the games are unwatchable.

I'll bet Ovie is happy.

Looking forward to Holtby's mediocre 2012-13 regular season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Thank you!! His version of winning hockey was awful. 14 playoff games played, 13 1-goal games, two series decided by lucky bounces. No thank you. I'm glad they lost and I'm glad he's done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning:
    [QUOTE]Thank you!! His version of winning hockey was awful. 14 playoff games played, 13 1-goal games, two series decided by lucky bounces. No thank you. I'm glad they lost and I'm glad he's done.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Please tell us how you really feel Oatesy !! Lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Not surprised at all - he owns and coaches the most financially successful team in Juniors, he's got his family there working with him, he's got his farm. I think he knows what's most important to him, and that doesn't include coaching in the NHL.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    If he changes his mind later he'll have little trouble getting hired since he left on somewhat of a high note (considering expectations).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning:[QUOTE] what the hell? This makes no sense. something must be happening behind the scenes. Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

Yes something did happen Ols, Hunter knows Ted Leonis will never part with players that put fannies in the seats for a grinder team. Why would Hunter put up with selfish players when he can just go run his successful OHL team ?

Look at the change in Kovalchuk as in comparison too Ovechkin. Ilya's offensive numbers have dropped because he bought into the Devil's defensive minded approach to the game however Kovalchuk's offensive numbers are awesome during crunch time. Ilya changed his attitude Ovechkin will not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I raised an eyebrow when they hired him and they said at the time he was only taking over for now and he would re-evaluate at season's end.  Sounds like he was test-driving to see if he really wanted to do it.  He didn't.

Give Ovechkin some credit.  I didn't hear him whining or see him sulking on the ice.  He was racing around playing high energy and blocking shots.  He still scored some key goals, and 9 points in 14 games is as valuable as Giroux's 17 points in 10 games if you factor in who the opponents were and how the games were played.  Key goals, too.  I just don't think he's what you'd call a cerebral player.  I think he's a horse who plays on talent, size, and instinct.  System?  Vas ees "sees tim"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

To me, any begrudging respect he deserves for smothering the Bruins to death and practically becoming a serial offender for nearly doing the same to the Rangers is heavily outweighed by my personal dislike for Dale Hunter the player. As terrible a thug, dirty, cheapshot artist as the league has ever seen. I could never stand him and glad I won't have to endure him in the NHL in any capacity. Good riddance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Geeze, I just wish he had made this decision before the playoffs started.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

lol, not holding back on this one.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning : Please tell us how you really feel Oatesy !! Lol
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to "Re: Dale Hunter not returning": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning : Yes something did happen Ols, Hunter knows Ted Leonis will never part with players that put fannies in the seats for a grinder team. Why would Hunter put up with selfish players when he can just go run his successful OHL team ? Look at the change in Kovalchuk as in comparison too Ovechkin. Ilya's offensive numbers have dropped because he bought into the Devil's defensive minded approach to the game however Kovalchuk's offensive numbers are awesome during crunch time. Ilya changed his attitude Ovechkin will not. Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

People talk about how he made the Caps a playoff team.....

I still see a highly-skilled team losing in the second round, only not playing to their strengths this time. Seeing Ovechkin (who some consider to be the most electrifying player in the NHL) put up 65 points this year takes away from the game of hockey.

In my opinion, the collapse defense is worse than the trap, as it not only blocks shots, but it forces defensemen to play it safe by simply dumping the puck back in the corner most times to avoid breakaways. This takes away rebounds. It has a trickle down effect that the trap never really has. All the trap does is slow down the neutral zone game; this slows down all offensive tempo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]He made it pretty clear his family connections in London were what's important. He said he's going home.  Good for him. I have to say I wish he hadn't stuck around long enough to coach that team into a defensive shell effective enough to eliminate the B's but you have to give him credit for success.  I dunno that his .500 record is enough over an 82 game schedule, but it works in the playoffs, even if the games are unwatchable. I'll bet Ovie is happy. Looking forward to Holtby's mediocre 2012-13 regular season.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    No kidding, teams will be watching tape, low glove side is all i have to say.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning : Yes something did happen Ols, Hunter knows Ted Leonis will never part with players that put fannies in the seats for a grinder team. Why would Hunter put up with selfish players when he can just go run his successful OHL team ? Look at the change in Kovalchuk as in comparison too Ovechkin. Ilya's offensive numbers have dropped because he bought into the Devil's defensive minded approach to the game however Kovalchuk's offensive numbers are awesome during crunch time. Ilya changed his attitude Ovechkin will not.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Bang on, I know he wanted to be close to his family and his business, but I think players like Ovechkin and Semin made his decision that much more easier for him.
    That said, Ilya has a few years on Ovechkin and he wasnt known for his team play either. Perhaps a change of scenery for Ovechkin is what he needs. Never happen becasue of Leonsis, though I'd be willing to bet Semon is done in Washington, perhaps the NHL even.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning : Yes something did happen Ols, Hunter knows Ted Leonis will never part with players that put fannies in the seats for a grinder team. 

that's exactly what I am thinking. It must be ownership.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning : Bang on, I know he wanted to be close to his family and his business, but I think players like Ovechkin and Semin made his decision that much more easier for him. TNever happen becasue of Leonsis, though I'd be willing to bet Semon is done in Washington, perhaps the NHL even. Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I agree I don't think Leonis would ever approve of letting McPhee trade Ovechkin. Semin is done in Washington but I think some GM will throw money at him. I mean that PP game winner he blew past Thomas only a few guys in the NHL can do that- phenomenal.

@Book I agree that Ovechkin did try very hard but he got benched in both series for being out of position.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dale Hunter not returning : I agree I don't think Leonis would ever approve of letting McPhee trade Ovechkin. Semin is done in Washington but I think some GM will throw money at him. I mean that PP game winner he blew past Thomas only a few guys in the NHL can do that- phenomenal. @Book I agree that Ovechkin did try very hard but he got benched in both series for being out of position.
    I still think that shot went off of Chara's stick(just my own observation)but still a laser shot just the same.As far as a team throwing money at him, there will be and Montreal comes to mind,they seem to like this type of player (Kovalev) and maybe even Detroit to play with Datsyuk.Detroit will be active in the free agent market for sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Among the team's unrestricted free agents: F Alexander Semin whose agent said Monday that the 28-year-old will be looking elsewhere. "It was good while it lasted. With the lack of playoff success, with the direction they are going," Mark Gandler told ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance. "They decided to change directions. That's within their rights. Alex doesn't fit into that system obviously. It just doesn't make any sense to him. He plays, he did the best he could under the circumstances and he earned his right to be a free agent."

Oh yah he gone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Semin is ultra-talented, one of the more talented players in the world, problem is, while he has all that talent he has half the drive of of a player with a quarter of his talent. He's part of an elite group called coach killers, right up there with Kovalev, awesome players who play when they feel like it.

I'm not saying it's a Russian thing either, for every Semin theres a Dustin Penner and I'd argue Dany Heatley belongs in that category, though neither compare in talent.  Players who have no problem putting the pen to the big contract but pout when they have to play a team first concept.

Too bad, all that talent only come out in spurts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Semin is ultra-talented, one of the more talented players in the world, problem is, while he has all that talent he has half the drive of of a player with a quarter of his talent. He's part of an elite group called coach killers, right up there with Kovalev, awesome players who play when they feel like it. I'm not saying it's a Russian thing either, for every Semin theres a Dustin Penner and I'd argue Dany Heatley belongs in that category, though neither compare in talent.  Players who have no problem putting the pen to the big contract but pout when they have to play a team first concept. Too bad, all that talent only come out in spurts.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Heatley is more of a teammate killer.

Sections
Shortcuts