Damn Canucks fans...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Damn Canucks fans...

In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : put behind until the next time the Vancouver canucks lose again in embarrassing fashion or to a supposed underdog. unfortunately red i think your just living in place were hockey is all they people of British Columbia have! especially since the Vancouver grizzlies left town for new Orleans! ok maybe not so much but u get my point. living here in boston its just on to the sox , pats , or celtics. now of course my true fandom is for the bruins but boston fans have other sports to occupy our time til the next bruins season starts. were u are not really they will just continue to be aholes!
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]
    Well that's not really true. In a normal year, people's attention usually switches to the Lions (CFL) or the Whitecaps (MLS - soccer is big here). But BC Place is closed this year for repairs, so they're both playing in the much smaller Empire Stadium, so there's not much attention on either of those teams, so this Canucks stuff is still overshadowing it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : Well that's not really true. In a normal year, people's attention usually switches to the Lions (CFL) or the Whitecaps (MLS - soccer is big here). But BC Place is closed this year for repairs, so they're both playing in the much smaller Empire Stadium, so there's not much attention on either of those teams, so this Canucks stuff is still overshadowing it.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

my apologies then red i had no idea those other teams were as a popular as u say. maybe its just from afar i picture Vancouver canucks fans being fanatical and when its there supposed turn for the Stanley cup and it doesn't happen the results figure to be the worst fans could possibly imagine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

red what about kamloops? i dont know the schedule or when recchi is supposed to have it but it figures to be there no? how far is that from were u are?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

6 hour drive - and I thought that was today - turns out its tomorrow and Neely was today, so I missed Maple Ridge. sigh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : put behind until the next time the Vancouver canucks lose again in embarrassing fashion or to a supposed underdog. unfortunately red i think your just living in place were hockey is all they people of British Columbia have! especially since the Vancouver grizzlies left town for new Orleans! ok maybe not so much but u get my point. living here in boston its just on to the sox , pats , or celtics. now of course my true fandom is for the bruins but boston fans have other sports to occupy our time til the next bruins season starts. were u are not really they will just continue to be aholes!

And, not to nitpick, but it was Memphis that Michael Heisley moved the Grizzlies to.

It's actually been quite the couple years in sports here: the Olympics, a new MLS team, the Cup Finals, and we're also looking forward to hosting the Grey Cup in November, and the re-opening of BC Place Stadium at the end of September.  Like the Metrodome in Minneapolis, BCP needed to replace it's teflon fabric roof, but unlike Minny, the government here decided to spend a half billion on a brand new retractable roof, modeled after the Commerzbank Stadium in Frankfurt,where the Women's World Cup Final was held last month.  I went to the open house preview a couple of weeks ago, and it was incredible.  It's like an entirely new stadium.  I don't know if nitemare follows the Stamps, but they'll be the Lions' second opponents there on Oct 8th.

I'm a Lions season ticket holder, so I'm fully engaged with football right  now, and we just got tickets to go see the Seahawks/Falcons game on Oct 2nd.  We usually get to at least one Mariners game, but didn't get 'er done this summer.

In addition to being shamed by the actions of stupid Canuck fans, I sometimes feel sorry for them, not being able to 'leave it behind', and get on with their lives. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans...:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : Sandog? Callers from Carolina that are Hurricane fans; absolutely detest Saber fans. I guess there was a lot fights happening at the Canes tailgate parties & stuff in the stands. This all happened during the 06 play-offs. They say Saber fans are the worst fans they've ever seen! I went to a game at the Aud yrs ago & had a pretty good time. I was wearing my B's garb & nobody said anything derogatory. That was regular season; but still it was an Adams Division rival.Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Yah it's me and I agree with Canes fans from Carolina (R U sure ?) Sabre fans are terrible! What was your point ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : my apologies then red i had no idea those other teams were as a popular as u say. maybe its just from afar i picture Vancouver canucks fans being fanatical and when its there supposed turn for the Stanley cup and it doesn't happen the results figure to be the worst fans could possibly imagine.

Yeah, Lions football especially is usually pretty big out here - BC's not as football crazy as places like Texas, Saskatchewan or Wisconsin, but it usually gets most of the local sports media coverage from June to November. Not the case this year. Heck, most of the papers had front page articles today talking about how slow the investigation into the riot is going, and that's two months now. Of course, the Lions suck this year (1-5) so that may be part of it.

49, I'm actually going to the game tomorrow, to watch my Bombers win ;) And before you say it, the only BC team I ever cheered for was the Grizzlies, and that never worked out well for me, though the Whitecaps are growing on me. Love their owner ;) (It's Steve Nash)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The wife came up with a good point today. The vast majority of the local Vancouver fans never actually played hockey. There's a large number of first and second generation Canadians who are Canucks fans who never played, as well as the fact that minor hockey in Vancouver is fairly limited. Rink time here is extremely expensive and the number of Arenas is limited compared to other Canadian cities. And it's not like people who grew up here had a chance to play pond hockey like I did. There are no outdoor rinks or ponds/lakes/rivers that freeze in the winter.

So the most knowledgable hockey fans are, for the most part, people who moved to the city from elsewhere, like myself.

So you end up with scores of fans for the Canucks who never actually laced them up. Now there are some knowledgable fans who never played, but for the most part you need to play the game to really understand it. She made the point this lack of first-hand experience may be part of the cause of this ignorant behaviour - a disconnect with understanding first hand what it actually takes to win at this game. She pointed to her college hockey days - she'd go to schools on the coast where fans were passionate, but didn't actually "get" the game. She thinks it's a similar scenario in Vancouver.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : Yeah, Lions football especially is usually pretty big out here - BC's not as football crazy as places like Texas, Saskatchewan or Wisconsin, but it usually gets most of the local sports media coverage from June to November. Not the case this year. Heck, most of the papers had front page articles today talking about how slow the investigation into the riot is going, and that's two months now. Of course, the Lions suck this year (1-5) so that may be part of it. 49, I'm actually going to the game tomorrow, to watch my Bombers win ;) And before you say it, the only BC team I ever cheered for was the Grizzlies, and that never worked out well for me, though the Whitecaps are growing on me. Love their owner ;) (It's Steve Nash)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Where are your seats?  And will you be wearing a Bombers jersey?  It's likely that the Bombers will win, but as we've seen this week, a hot team can turn cold pretty fast in the CFL.

I'm in Section 218, directly behind the goalposts on the south side.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : And, not to nitpick, but it was Memphis that Michael Heisley moved the Grizzlies to. It's actually been quite the couple years in sports here: the Olympics, a new MLS team, the Cup Finals, and we're also looking forward to hosting the Grey Cup in November, and the re-opening of BC Place Stadium at the end of September.  Like the Metrodome in Minneapolis, BCP needed to replace it's teflon fabric roof, but unlike Minny, the government here decided to spend a half billion on a brand new retractable roof, modeled after the Commerzbank Stadium in Frankfurt,where the Women's World Cup Final was held last month.  I went to the open house preview a couple of weeks ago, and it was incredible.  It's like an entirely new stadium.  I don't know if nitemare follows the Stamps, but they'll be the Lions' second opponents there on Oct 8th. I'm a Lions season ticket holder, so I'm fully engaged with football right  now, and we just got tickets to go see the Seahawks/Falcons game on Oct 2nd.  We usually get to at least one Mariners game, but didn't get 'er done this summer. In addition to being shamed by the actions of stupid Canuck fans, I sometimes feel sorry for them, not being able to 'leave it behind', and get on with their lives. 
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I haven't followed the CFL since Doug Flutie left. Always just cheered for whatever team he was on. The guy couldn't catch a break in the NFL until he was too old; then he was only a backup & did better than some of his starters!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Today's Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/08/13/lucics_day_with_the_cup_to_be_private/

I'm sorry, but the excuse of, "it's just a few indivuduals, not ALL Vancouver fans" doesn't fly with me if "a few" can burn the city down or change a Cup celebration.

"A few" goofy fans calling 911 can be funny.  "A few" who riot or threaten a hometown player's family are representing the city, whether the city likes it or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : Where are your seats?  And will you be wearing a Bombers jersey?  It's likely that the Bombers will win, but as we've seen this week, a hot team can turn cold pretty fast in the CFL.  I'm in Section 218, directly behind the goalposts on the south side.

Not sure, my brother has the tickets, but if you see a 5'8 redhead in a Dieter Brock jersey, that's me. I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Good column from the National Post on this today

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/love+Lucic+desire+toast/5251617/story.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : Not sure, my brother has the tickets, but if you see a 5'8 redhead in a Dieter Brock jersey, that's me. I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one ;)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Dieter Brock! The classic #5. 

However, in terms of history, I've got you beat with my #15 Willie Fleming jersey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wow, that's going way back... what was that? The '64 Grey Cup?

And I'm hearing rumblings that there will be an "unannounced" public appearance tomorrow, something like him just driving around in East Van with the Cup and the top down. We'll wait and see - we live in the same neighbourhood, so maybe I'll get lucky.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I agree with Fletch here, I think it is an overreaction by security personnel. I understand some idiots hit the streets afterwards and did some damage, but is this the first city where thas has happened? No. I highly doubt anyhting would happen should Lucic bring the Cup into a public setting, I'd doubt there would even be a few boos from the crowd. Too bad it has to go this way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Fletch here, I think it is an overreaction by security personnel. I understand some idiots hit the streets afterwards and did some damage, but is this the first city where thas has happened? No. I highly doubt anyhting would happen should Lucic bring the Cup into a public setting, I'd doubt there would even be a few boos from the crowd. Too bad it has to go this way.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

From what I've read I wonder if it's an overreaction from his parents and grandparents?

And 49, what do you think of the theory I posted on the previous page about how the fact most Canucks fans never played is a contributing factor to the reaction?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : Yah it's me and I agree with Canes fans from Carolina (R U sure ?) Sabre fans are terrible! What was your point ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

No point really. Just when you mentioned about the Philly fans. Which is something I heard lots about. I never really heard anything about Saber fans till a couple of seasons ago. Your statement just reminded me of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I'd have to agree Fletch. I think most people in town are on their last nerve in regards to hooligans. I think that's why there was a brawl at that street fest Lucic went to - some folks being jack*sses, and the average folks around him not putting up with it anymore. My neighbour is a huge (both figuratively and literally - he's gotta be close to 6'8) Canucks fan, and he told me if I can figure out a way to see it, he'll go with me and pound the crap out of anyone who causes a problem.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Just reading through here, Red and I came across three points that you made that I disagree with.  I'm not targeting you, just catching up on my reading/posting!

So, this guy's solution is to get in a fight without anyone who causes trouble.  That doesn't seem like much of a solution.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Damn Canucks fans... : 49, truth be told I just want things to go back to normal again. I'm just so tired of having to watch what I say or wear in public in regards to hockey. And most of the Canucks fans I know are sick of it too. This thing with Looch is the last straw for me. So tired of dealing with this crap, and I'm tired of it being a topic of conversation for every hockey fan and pundit. I know most Canucks fans are embarrassed by it, but that doesn't make it go away. Maybe this will get put behind us once the puck drops. God I hope so.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Have you faced any threats of violence due to wearing a B's jersey or speaking about them?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The wife came up with a good point today. The vast majority of the local Vancouver fans never actually played hockey. There's a large number of first and second generation Canadians who are Canucks fans who never played, as well as the fact that minor hockey in Vancouver is fairly limited. Rink time here is extremely expensive and the number of Arenas is limited compared to other Canadian cities. And it's not like people who grew up here had a chance to play pond hockey like I did. There are no outdoor rinks or ponds/lakes/rivers that freeze in the winter. So the most knowledgable hockey fans are, for the most part, people who moved to the city from elsewhere, like myself. So you end up with scores of fans for the Canucks who never actually laced them up. Now there are some knowledgable fans who never played, but for the most part you need to play the game to really understand it. She made the point this lack of first-hand experience may be part of the cause of this ignorant behaviour - a disconnect with understanding first hand what it actually takes to win at this game. She pointed to her college hockey days - she'd go to schools on the coast where fans were passionate, but didn't actually "get" the game. She thinks it's a similar scenario in Vancouver.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I would have to say that this is 100% incorrect.  People who have played hockey don't understand it more.  It's just not true.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Vancouver has had a reputation (I've only lived here since 1995) of being a young city or an adolecent/teenager so to speak.Riot of '94,stabbings at the fireworks, and so on. The general concensus (in the media) was that the City had grown-up and come of age with the Winter Olympics.But that was a different crowd. When stuff goes to crap, the Vancouverites blame it on the "Bridge & Tunnel Traffic" in other words the people from the burbs that come downtown to reek havoc. The mayor of Van screwed up- there was no "worst case scenario" plan . When the Rangers won the cup in '94 the media guys commented that the police presnce around Madison square Garden would make you think twice before trying something stupid. The naivety that the city of Van approached this Downtown Stanley Cup final  mass party with giant screened TV's  was nuts. Overall I would have to say that it's not they are " non understanding" fans of hockey- just a bunch of people that haven't grown up + a Moron of a Mayor that didn't give the police the tools to deal with the idiots. The riot should not have happened and could have been avoided- with a plan. No matter the idiots

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

My thought is that, if Lucic had a public event with the cup, and some morons showed up, true fans (of the Canucks or Bruins) would "take care of them".  I think people are sick and tired of idiots giving this city and its fans a bad name.  Honestly, I'm sure that, despite the reputation that Philly fans have, the majority of fans in that city are pretty decent people. 

I'm not thinking that the lack of winter pond hockey has anything to do with the attitude of the fans here, or else there would be moronic hockey fans in other non-frozen-winter cities as well.  Vancouver has seen more than it's share of public events spoiled by drunken mobs, and the passion of the playoffs seems to bring out the worst in that group.  If I were the City police, I would have plenty of horses and dogs out when the potential for trouble occurs next time, 'cause from what I heard, the unruly crowds did NOT like the prospect of being bitten by a german shepherd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]My thought is that, if Lucic had a public event with the cup, and some morons showed up, true fans (of the Canucks or Bruins) would "take care of them".  I think people are sick and tired of idiots giving this city and its fans a bad name.  Honestly, I'm sure that, despite the reputation that Philly fans have, the majority of fans in that city are pretty decent people.  I'm not thinking that the lack of winter pond hockey has anything to do with the attitude of the fans here, or else there would be moronic hockey fans in other non-frozen-winter cities as well.  Vancouver has seen more than it's share of public events spoiled by drunken mobs, and the passion of the playoffs seems to bring out the worst in that group.  If I were the City police, I would have plenty of horses and dogs out when the potential for trouble occurs next time, 'cause from what I heard, the unruly crowds did NOT like the prospect of being bitten by a german shepherd.

It sounds like they did. They did say fist were involved; so I'm taking that somebody jumped in to lend a hand. Whether that it started out as shouting words then the fighting happened; or Somebody tried to get at Lucic & somebody jumped in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS to your three ponits, my neighbour said that as a joke mainly and I thought it was funny, which is why I shared it. I don't think he was serious.

Since the end of the finals, I have been physically threatened three times due to wearing a Bruins jeresey or having my number 8 necklace on, and accosted once (said necklace being ripped off my neck - charges are laid, the court date is pending)

And I can agree with you and 49 - just an idea we had, and wanted some opinions on it.

All this said, I  got to see the Cup today and had a pint with Looch through happy circumstance. I'll give the full story in the morning when I'm more sober ;)

Sections
Shortcuts