Daniel Paille

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Daniel Paille

He should never again be referred to as "Stone Hands".  Two straight games with the game winner in the SCF.  I never thought I'd see this.  I remember for a while last year thinking that he'd never score again.  He had ten goals this season in 46 games (18 goal pace for a 82 game season).  He now has 4 goals in this post-season (17 goal pace for a 82 game season).

I remember when he signed his last deal, PC said he was a very good fourth line player who could move up in the lineup.  I always liked him on the fourth line.  He's very fast, a great penalty killer and never takes a shift off.  But, I never thought he'd be part of a productive third line.  I'm very happy to see him prove me wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Daniel Paille

I have always believed Paille's ability on offense, but and this is not to take anything away from Thornton and Campbell, your limitations on offense are greatly enhanced playing on a line that is designed to create havoc, forecheck but not necessarily to score, but to control the puck and to show an advantage over other team's 3rd and 4th lines. Playing him with Seguin (and Kelly), the speed factor has increased for Daniel, which is to his liking. Seguin fed him some great passes, and he's also moving toward the slot area more and more with Seguin along the boards. Maybe I'm wrong, but if Paille were to play with say Bergeron and Marchand, I have to think his offensive numbers would be a lot higher during reg. seasons. He also is a nifty shorthanded guy, the real reason why the B's picked him up from Buffalo. I get tired of the way people dismiss him and the fans should have picked him 7th Man in 11 or 13. He's a great asset, but only now do people love him because he happened to score 2 gigantic goals in the finals. Daniel was a 1st round draft pick, so it's not like his talents aren't there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thank you again and again Jim Benning!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

An incredibly quick deke and shot.  He has hands of a sniper this series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Count me among those that had him pegged as a (great) fourth liner - to the point that I considered him being on any other line a sign that the Bruins were in trouble.

Boy, has he picked the right time to mesh with some players other than Campbell and Thornton!

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

An incredibly quick deke and shot.  He has hands of a sniper this series.

I liked his pickpocket job to put him in position to score. Awesome play all around. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hard to find a player (other than Bergeron) who can adeptly knock the puck off the defensive stick near the blueline or in the way Danny does it. That's why he has so many short-hand steals and why he does get himself into a position of having more 1-on-nones than anyone other than say Marchand.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

He's playing great....It's nice to see him shine....I've being a fan of his speed and work ethic all along. Campbell, Paille and Thorton have in my eyes being one of the best 4th lines in the NHL. I't nice to see CJ put this line together...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'll admit, I definitely had referred to him as Stone Hands on numerous occasions, especially during his first season and a half.

Ain't no denying he does have the skills to pay the bills.

RIP Stone Hands

Yippee Paille, MotherF###er (saw that on Reddit)

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

1.3 million? steal. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

He's got a very good release, that's for sure. The dangle behind the net on the Kelly goal in game 2 was brilliant.

He's not very far from being as good as Bergeron defensively, in all honesty. You almost never see the guy get beat. My buddy is from Buffalo, and he has been blowing up my phone all through the playoffs about how Buffalo used him the wrong way and had different expectations of him. Is he a premier player? No, but he's critical to this team's success. Every team needs guys like Paille.

Gotta love how he helped turn Seguin's and Kelly's games around after they were absolutely invisible all playoffs (and all season for Kelly). Last night was probably the best I've seen Kelly play since last year. He was all over the ice breaking up plays and making plays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

He should never again be referred to as "Stone Hands".  Two straight games with the game winner in the SCF.  I never thought I'd see this.  I remember for a while last year thinking that he'd never score again.  He had ten goals this season in 46 games (18 goal pace for a 82 game season).  He now has 4 goals in this post-season (17 goal pace for a 82 game season).

I remember when he signed his last deal, PC said he was a very good fourth line player who could move up in the lineup.  I always liked him on the fourth line.  He's very fast, a great penalty killer and never takes a shift off.  But, I never thought he'd be part of a productive third line.  I'm very happy to see him prove me wrong.

Ya, I'm eating a little crow too. The numbers are still not Bossy like, but you put him in the right place at the right time, and good things happen. 

Love his speed and work ethic. But so many times we've all seen him miss the net, or fumble the puck at the worst times. Hopefully he is just now coming into his own, but until he pots 30ish, I still think he's a 3rd or 4th liner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Ya, I'm eating a little crow too. The numbers are still not Bossy like, but you put him in the right place at the right time, and good things happen. 

Love his speed and work ethic. But so many times we've all seen him miss the net, or fumble the puck at the worst times. Hopefully he is just now coming into his own, but until he pots 30ish, I still think he's a 3rd or 4th liner.

Well, he averages those numbers while averaging 12-13 minutes per game (which I'd venture to guess that he averages 2-4 minutes per game on the PK) playing with other 4th liners. I'd guess that if he were to play 15-17 minutes and played with Bergeron, he'd be in the 40-50 point range. When he was 23, he had 35 points when he averaged 13 minutes per game.

Gotta take into account who he's playing with and what his role is, which he's excellent at. He could fill in on a second line and be sufficient, but he's the perfect fit on a 4th line. Keeping his stats down keeps his salary down, too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Paille has always been a very dependable player but he was a 1st rd pick so he has talent. But just like in 2011 he looks even better in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Paille has had a great season and playoff.  He has really found his niche, things have fallen into place and his game has taken off. 

Said earlier, but 2 more years @ $1.3M is a steal.  Combine that with Campbell for 2 more @ 1.6M, and combined they make less than Kelly or Peverley annually.

Glad the B's have him, guy has been fantastic!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

I always said that Paille should br on the 3rd line ...some experts here were telling me that he has stone hands...if Paille has stone hands what does PEV has ???.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

And by the way in this series he looks even better than Patrick Kane

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 2013 (a walk in the park)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Oh Danny Boy!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

hard to find a player (other than Bergeron) who can adeptly knock the puck off the defensive stick near the blueline or in the way Danny does it. That's why he has so many short-hand steals and why he does get himself into a position of having more 1-on-nones than anyone other than say Marchand.

What?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Paille has had numerous chances to play on higher lines and he's never been able to flip the switch over the long haul.  Bit like PJ Axelsson that way, actually.  You'd see PJA drive the net and roof a short side back-hander (I'm thinking of a particular game vs. the Senators where he did this and it was the dagger) and then the next game he score again with a bit of swagger and you'd think "does he just need the opportunity?"  Then he'd play with JT Superstar for a while as an injury fill-in and look like he couldn't possibly be the same guy. 

I think you just have to be realistic about Paille's offensive potential - that's what the Sabres didn't do - and realize that he is a streaky shooter (how many breakaways has he had where he's absolutely punished the crest?) with blazing speed and some one-on-one skills, but he's not a playmaker, and he's not a spot shooter who can set up for the one-time consistently (despite what we saw in OT of game two).  Playing on the third and fourth lines against second and third D pairings helps create the right situations for Paille's offensive opportunities to materialize - busted plays off of hard defensive work.  His speed makes him a great defensive player (he was ferocious on the PK against the Canucks in 2011 - best I've ever seen), and the offensive skills he has make him more productive than a lot of those players who seem to get a lot of chances because they pick off passes and force turnovers.

None of this is to counter gnb's OP.  He's been great, again, and he should have been 7th player this year. He's also giving them some options for next year if they do decide to buy out Kelly or Peverley to retain Horton.  You could see him switching back and forth between 3rd and 4th line duties with Soderberg (Yeti has a lot to prove next year) and some of the now-more-mature rooks who will have a baptism by fire for Cap reasons next year.

Thoroughly admire the way he has settled in, after what must have been a frustrating start as a 20th pick asked to be a scorer, to being a top-notch, team first player.  If he's content with the $1.3-$1.7M contracts he'll see for the rest of his career, he's welcome to stay in Boston until he hangs 'em up.

Are you not entertained?!?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Paille has had numerous chances to play on higher lines and he's never been able to flip the switch over the long haul.  Bit like PJ Axelsson that way, actually.  You'd see PJA drive the net and roof a short side back-hander (I'm thinking of a particular game vs. the Senators where he did this and it was the dagger) and then the next game he score again with a bit of swagger and you'd think "does he just need the opportunity?"  Then he'd play with JT Superstar for a while as an injury fill-in and look like he couldn't possibly be the same guy. 

I think you just have to be realistic about Paille's offensive potential - that's what the Sabres didn't do - and realize that he is a streaky shooter (how many breakaways has he had where he's absolutely punished the crest?) with blazing speed and some one-on-one skills, but he's not a playmaker, and he's not a spot shooter who can set up for the one-time consistently (despite what we saw in OT of game two).  Playing on the third and fourth lines against second and third D pairings helps create the right situations for Paille's offensive opportunities to materialize - busted plays off of hard defensive work.  His speed makes him a great defensive player (he was ferocious on the PK against the Canucks in 2011 - best I've ever seen), and the offensive skills he has make him more productive than a lot of those players who seem to get a lot of chances because they pick off passes and force turnovers.

None of this is to counter gnb's OP.  He's been great, again, and he should have been 7th player this year. He's also giving them some options for next year if they do decide to buy out Kelly or Peverley to retain Horton.  You could see him switching back and forth between 3rd and 4th line duties with Soderberg (Yeti has a lot to prove next year) and some of the now-more-mature rooks who will have a baptism by fire for Cap reasons next year.

Thoroughly admire the way he has settled in, after what must have been a frustrating start as a 20th pick asked to be a scorer, to being a top-notch, team first player.  If he's content with the $1.3-$1.7M contracts he'll see for the rest of his career, he's welcome to stay in Boston until he hangs 'em up.

Great post..

This is something that CJ does very well and deserves a lot of credit for making players like Paille and Campbell successful. Players that have talent and great work ethic but can't seem to cut it consistantly in the top 9 on a good team. Gives them a important role like the PK and important 4th line minutes. Then when needed in a greater role they have the confidence to be succecful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Good to add Campbell in there, fish.  He was a third-liner in Florida and put up 32 points in '08-'09, which is pretty much the same total as Paille in his best season with Buffalo (35).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes PJ Axelsson has worked his way into a thread and a "Ryder coming back ?" is at the top of BDC Bruins discussions...awesome.

Back to the salad days!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Tied for fourth on the team this year w / 10 goals in the shortened season.  Postseason hero.

I love the look of our third line right now because Ive always believed that speed is synergestic.  

Next year, keep the theme going.  Have Kelly center Paille and Spooner on the third line (so you still have Kelly with two speedy wings). Promote Seguin back up to the Bergeron / Marchand line.

In a full season on the third line, Im thinking 15 goals at the very least.  Considering that he's also a fantastic penalty killer and shines in big moments....

What a steal!! (We have him next year and the year after at 1.3M/yr!!)