Danvers, Mass.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Danvers, Mass.

Good restaurants to eat at ?

Attractions ?

Golf courses ?

Shopping ? Especially Bruins clothing that have affordable price tags.

Any good local hockey to attend ?

etc. etc. etc. ?

All with keeping in mind that I live off a modest wage unlike having BsLegion's money.

Any kind of info regarding this city and it's surroundings would be greatly appreciated. I will be visiting this area on weekends sporadically in the upcoming year and possibly further on.

I'm hoping my fellow BDC posters can help. I am finally taking something off the top of my bucket list. Being able to visit the Boston area. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Danvers, Mass.

1.  Golden Banana

2.  Kowloon

3.  Take a trip over to Salem.  Lots of cool history stuff there

4.  Panini Pizzaria is the best in town.  Real Italian pizza place

Really, there isn't much in Danvers outside of the Liberty Tree Mall and other strip malls.  For surrounding areas, avoid Lynn under all circumstances.  You're close enough to Worcester, Providence and Manchester for AHL games.  Portland and Springfield are too far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.masshshockey.com/divisions.html?g=M

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/hockey/

You're going to be in a good area to get out n see allot of the prep teams that get the pick of the top talent in New England.

http://www.uscho.com/conference/hockey-east/

Northeastern's Matthews Arena is by far the best place to see a college hockey game. Has that ol Boston Garden type balcony that seems to hang over the ice.

You are in the Northeast so it is mall central, Liberty Tree Mall is right in Danvers (if you go to Bob Stores for Bruins gear you will defenitely have to take a loan from Legion). If you don't mind driving you have the Wrentham outlet mall south of you but easy to find and if you are cruising through New Hampshire on your way down, you have Merrimack outlet mall in southern New Hapmshire No Sales TAX!

Kelv and BadHab will probably have more insight cause they still live in the motherland...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Attractions ?

Golf courses ?

etc. etc. etc. ?

All with keeping in mind that I live off a modest wage unlike having BsLegion's money.

Any kind of info regarding this city and it's surroundings would be greatly appreciated. I will be visiting this area on weekends sporadically in the upcoming year and possibly further on.

I'm hoping my fellow BDC posters can help. I am finally taking something off the top of my bucket list. Being able to visit the Boston area. 

Avoid the discount outlets, I haven't found them to be discounts at all (Wrentham & others)

Hit and miss for Bruins stuff, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Building 19 (God knows what might turn up in there, it's an adventure every time, it's a salvage store) and of course Walmart every so often.

Actually nearby Nashua NH probably has the best shopping around and millions of stores there - no sales tax, but also know that Mass does not tax clothes.

Otherwise; art museums the MFA, really conservative, not worth it, contemporary art museum, forget about it, aquarium is ok, history museums - go to Harvard, Cambridge & Harvard square are fun, if you see a guy pulling a plastic duck on wheels with a sign that says 'Philosophy Phd available to debate for modest fees' only take him on if you've brushed up on your Aristotle & Plato recently, Harvard Square is the best for walking and people watching, Fanual Hall marketplace for street acts and there's lots of food there, Kennedy museum if you're a fan.  Lots of hockey, the NHL winter classic will be in BadHab's back yard this year, the college hockey right in town is BU, BC, Northeastern and Harvard.  Providence RI is a fun little city and the Providence Bruins are in the heart of things with lots of good restaurants nearby.

Oh, local theater.  It sucks the big one big time.  There is the wang center or whatever they call it now and it's 'oh such a beautiful building with such great architectecture', but the acoustics are incredibly awful.  In the summer there's cirque de soleil which is expensive, but I think they put on a good show.

Avoid Mattapan Roxbury, for Worcester AHL hockey there's nothing within nearby walking distance for food, and Worcester itself is awful, Springfield is a mixed bag, and might as well stay out of South Boston, Dorchester and Chelsea.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Kelly's Roastbeef on Rt. 1, I can never drive by it without stopping in. Awesome fried clams and lobster rolls. I always get a roast beef sandwich for later but usually end up eating it before I intended. I'm crazy like that!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

All great and useful info guys. Thanks to all for giving me a head start in researching what to do and where to go when I get there.

Fabulous and thanks again. 

P.S. Now let's get back to beating each other up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

o yah, forgot about other forums on bdc

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/things-to-do/nightlife/110/1020

travel section, Boston, Mass, New England

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/travel/boston/120/1030

Each town is listed

http://www.boston.com/community/forums

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allypk. Show allypk's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

o yah, forgot about other forums on bdc

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/things-to-do/nightlife/110/1020

travel section, Boston, Mass, New England

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/travel/boston/120/1030

Each town is listed

http://www.boston.com/community/forums

FYI...

If you are going to be on the North Shore, Neuburyport is a MUST see!!! Wonderful tree lined streets with huge 1700 and 1800 colonial homes.....PLUS they have a thriving town center with great food and tons of interesting shops.....it's by far the best visit in the area you are going to...DO NOT MISS IT!!!....True New England flavour and architect

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Newburyport sucks.  That was obviously written by a woman.  Unless, of course, Chowda is really interested in flavour and architect.  In which case, I would hope he and his boyfriend have a great time there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Newburyport sucks.  That was obviously written by a woman.  Unless, of course, Chowda is really interested in flavour and architect.  In which case, I would hope he and his boyfriend have a great time there.

ROTFFLMMFAO!!! I think you should tell us how you really feel NAS. I think you hold too much back! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If flavour means food and architecture means neat old looking buildings, sure the boyfriend and I are interested.

P.S. I'll have to get used to the jargon over there. Where I'm from, the mother of a man's children is called a "wife". Introducing her to the locals as my boyfriend will be different. 

But when in Rome, do as the..........

btw, any good movie theatres to attend ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

If flavour means food and architecture means neat old looking buildings, sure the boyfriend and I are interested.

P.S. I'll have to get used to the jargon over there. Where I'm from, the mother of a man's children is called a "wife". Introducing her to the locals as my boyfriend will be different. 

But when in Rome, do as the..........

Or depending on the circumstances she may called "the fun sponge" ;-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

For surrounding areas, avoid Lynn under all circumstances.  

What if he's looking for heroin?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Northeastern's Matthews Arena is by far the best place to see a college hockey game. Has that ol Boston Garden type balcony that seems to hang over the ice.

Bingo Sandog!  Matthews is my favorite rink anywhere.  Catch a Northeastern game.  They don't make rinks like this anymore.  The wrap-around upper deck puts you right on top of the ice in a very cool, historic building.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

For surrounding areas, avoid Lynn under all circumstances. 

What if he's looking for heroin ?

LOL then yah he will be in the right place.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Yes. Several. There's an AMC in the Liberty Tree Mall. If you're looking for some of the smaller movies there is Hollywood Hits. Or if you're up for it you can go down to the Showcase Cinema in Revere. There are other smaller theatres but those are the major ones. For smaller there's Gloucester, Beverly, Salem... Not sure of any others?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Yes. Several. There's an AMC in the Liberty Tree Mall. If you're looking for some of the smaller movies there is Hollywood Hits. Or if you're up for it you can go down to the Showcase Cinema in Revere. There are other smaller theatres but those are the major ones. For smaller there's Gloucester, Beverly, Salem... Not sure of any others?

Do they have afternoon showings ?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If you have the internet...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Attractions ?

Golf courses ?

etc. etc. etc. ?

I'm a Danvers resident.  When are you coming?  I'll fill you in on anything you need to know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If you have the internet...

Hee Hee. That's your best reply ?

Do they power wash their seats ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jalvis' comment:

Attractions ?

Golf courses ?

etc. etc. etc. ?

I'm a Danvers resident.  When are you coming?  I'll fill you in on anything you need to know.

Probably February.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Chowda, they do in fact almost all have afternoon showings. If you're bored there are a few pool halls, laser tag, and a Chuck-e-Cheese if you have children. Not sure how old you are haha.

Also depending on the weather you can always check out he beaches in Manchester, Ipswich, Beverly, Rever and Swampscott. It can be fun to go for a walk on the beach even in the winter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowda, they do in fact almost all have afternoon showings. If you're bored there are a few pool halls, laser tag, and a Chuck-e-Cheese if you have children. Not sure how old you are haha.

Also depending on the weather you can always check out he beaches in Manchester, Ipswich, Beverly, Rever and Swampscott. It can be fun to go for a walk on the beach even in the winter.

My kids are old enough so that they could take their children to Chuck-E-Cheese.

The beach is a must for me though. I want to check out sights of the ocean and shorelines.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

My kids are old enough so that they could take their children to Chuck-E-Cheese.

The beach is a must for me though. I want to check out sights of the ocean and shorelines.

I'd avoid Revere Beach. Unless you find Snooki attractive, then by all means.

Sections
Shortcuts