Danvers, Mass.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Danvers, Mass.

Also, as for the golf, I don't really go north of Boston but to hop on the 93 South and go to Plymouth it is worth the 45 minute ride. Crosswinds and PineHills are my two favorites...If your not interested in going that far you check out my hometown golf course. Braintree Municipal..It's a hidden gem, let me know if your interested i'll meet you there, I know the whole staff and I usually get 18 and a cart for free or for the town employee discount, depends who is on the desk. I'll say your my grandfather (ZING!!) and get you on with my discount.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, as for the golf, I don't really go north of Boston but to hop on the 93 South and go to Plymouth it is worth the 45 minute ride. Crosswinds and PineHills are my two favorites...If your not interested in going that far you check out my hometown golf course. Braintree Municipal..It's a hidden gem, let me know if your interested i'll meet you there, I know the whole staff and I usually get 18 and a cart for free or for the town employee discount, depends who is on the desk. I'll say your my grandfather (ZING!!) and get you on with my discount.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch ! 

But if I'm going to be your grandfather I'll have to play the part. Forward tees. Asskicking to follow.

Thanks for the recommendations on golf courses.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Chowda, find some cool people to hang with, present company excluded, then visit New England Meat Market (Peabody) and find some good food to grill with those same friends. NAS is correct, Newburyport ( me best friend lives there) is just the run of the mill, the black cow if you want to look at the Merrimack Rivah.  Yet, me best friend is an excellent fisherman, so he is wrong on finding good food to eat in Newburyport.  Cheers, love your analysis of juniors!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chowda, find some cool people to hang with, present company excluded, then visit New England Meat Market (Peabody) and find some good food to grill with those same friends. NAS is correct, Newburyport ( me best friend lives there) is just the run of the mill, the black cow if you want to look at the Merrimack Rivah.  Yet, me best friend is an excellent fisherman, so he is wrong on finding good food to eat in Newburyport.  Cheers, love your analysis of juniors!

[/QUOTE]

Oh, we always called Billerica the New England Meat Market.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

If you're coming down in February its likely the golf courses won't be open. Revere beach in the winter is just fine. not to mention they have Kelly's on RTE 1 which is always a great place to grab a burger.

Depending on the week you might be able to find a stick practice if you want to play some hockey. Not sure how you're skating skills are these days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Movies:  Like NAS said......AMC Theaters at the Liberty Tree Mall.  They have IMAX there too.  Hollywood Hits is right up the road. 

Shopping:  Well....there's the Liberty Tree Mall but it's a crappy mall with a few main attractions (AMC Theaters, Best Buy, Buffalo Wild Wings, Target and Kohls).  But just up the road is the North Shore Mall.  That's where to go if you need to do any shopping.

Food:  Tons of restaurants.  You name a chain and you'll find it in either Danvers or neighboring Peabody.  There are lots of quality local places too.  But it depends on what you like. 

Beaches:  Good Harbor (Gloucester), Cranes Beach (Ipswich), Singing Beach (Manchester-by-the-Sea) and Lynch Park (Beverly) are good options.

Hockey:  Merrimack College plays in Hockey East (if I remember correctly, they were ranked #1 in the NCAA at one point last year).  The college is just 15 minutes up Rt. 114 (the main drag in Danvers/Peabody with the aforementioned Malls).  Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a Merrimack game vs. BC or BU or UNH.

Lastly....you should go Salem.  So much history there.  Cool town with some neat pubs and live music, etc.  Beverly also has some cool spots for music and pubs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1.  Golden Banana

2.  Kowloon

3.  Take a trip over to Salem.  Lots of cool history stuff there

4.  Panini Pizzaria is the best in town.  Real Italian pizza place

Really, there isn't much in Danvers outside of the Liberty Tree Mall and other strip malls.  For surrounding areas, avoid Lynn under all circumstances.  You're close enough to Worcester, Providence and Manchester for AHL games.  Portland and Springfield are too far.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know how I missed that!  Panini Pizzeria is DEFINITELY the best pizza around.  Kowloon is a good call as well....the food is fine but the atmosphere is well....Kowloon.  My favorite Chinese place in the area is Su Changs (not to be confused with PF Changs).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

You guys have a been a tremendous help. I could have gone on the internet ( as NAS suggests ) but what better way to do it then getting advice from the locals.

I am very grateful to all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.masshshockey.com/divisions.html?g=M

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/hockey/

You're going to be in a good area to get out n see allot of the prep teams that get the pick of the top talent in New England.

http://www.uscho.com/conference/hockey-east/

Northeastern's Matthews Arena is by far the best place to see a college hockey game. Has that ol Boston Garden type balcony that seems to hang over the ice.

You are in the Northeast so it is mall central, Liberty Tree Mall is right in Danvers (if you go to Bob Stores for Bruins gear you will defenitely have to take a loan from Legion). If you don't mind driving you have the Wrentham outlet mall south of you but easy to find and if you are cruising through New Hampshire on your way down, you have Merrimack outlet mall in southern New Hapmshire No Sales TAX!

Kelv and BadHab will probably have more insight cause they still live in the motherland...

[/QUOTE]

Wrong sandpuppy that would be U of Maine's Alfond Areana and its still the best atmosphere despite the horrid team this year FIRE WHITEHEAD!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bosbruins2011cup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wrong sandpuppy that would be U of Maine's Alfond Areana and its still the best atmosphere despite the horrid team this year FIRE WHITEHEAD!

[/QUOTE]

Chowda's going to Danvers.  Alfond is no where near Danvers...or anything else for that matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Haven't been to Merrimack in North Andover to see the new arena Jalvis but I hear it is nice. Is the new arena still on campus ?

Good call on Braintree Municipal defenite good course, reasonably priced.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bosbruins2011cup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.masshshockey.com/divisions.html?g=M

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/hockey/

You're going to be in a good area to get out n see allot of the prep teams that get the pick of the top talent in New England.

http://www.uscho.com/conference/hockey-east/

Northeastern's Matthews Arena is by far the best place to see a college hockey game. Has that ol Boston Garden type balcony that seems to hang over the ice.

You are in the Northeast so it is mall central, Liberty Tree Mall is right in Danvers (if you go to Bob Stores for Bruins gear you will defenitely have to take a loan from Legion). If you don't mind driving you have the Wrentham outlet mall south of you but easy to find and if you are cruising through New Hampshire on your way down, you have Merrimack outlet mall in southern New Hapmshire No Sales TAX!

Kelv and BadHab will probably have more insight cause they still live in the motherland...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Knowing that you think fans throwing garbage on the ice is a great atmosphere I will pass on going here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Visited the Boston area this past weekend and thought I'd update. Peabody was the destination and not Danvers. 

- Drove ( 10 hours ) and took a flight back to Buffalo ( 1 hour 10 minutes ). Driving a uhaul the I90's toll cost $40. Very scenic drive for most of the way ( up until I got to Boston area ) with the mini mountain landscape. At as low as $100 per flight with return to Buffalo flying will be the way to go in the future.

- ate at Panini's first night. Fantastic pizza. Thanks for this recommendation. Those living in the area who haven't tried it are missing out. I will try to eat there every time I go from now on.

While I was there, there was a bald, 40ish old man. I thought for a moment could this be BDC's famous..........nah, couldn't be.

- gased up at a Gulf. On top of every pump was a tv. Pumping gas and watching tv ? You guys are spoiled.

- shopped at North Shore and Loews malls. Bruin's stuff is $$$$$$$$$$. Yes I needed a loan from BsLegion. I did see a fantastic Orr hoody ( $130 ) at Old Time Hockey. Tshirts I liked at about $25. 

- besides Panini's we ate at Qdoba and the Cheese factory. Loved all three.

- crazy traffic as usual for anywhere around a big city. Boston has terrible drivers like we do.  Some of the roads are a bit funky too. 

That's about it as time was at a premium this time. I will keep this thread saved for future trips to see where and what we can do and go to.

Thanks again to all !

TLD'ontR.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

chowda, it's been a few years since we have been back to visit but it still seems as though the "99" restauraunt is good food,  not too pricey, and located along one of the perimeter highways.. They have more than one location. In February all or at least most golf courses are closed down. To see the Ocean start in Newburyport, just over the New Hampshire line and drive along the routes [ use your GPS] closest to the water. In Boston you might want to park in the Prudential Center, and go up to whatever their rooftop restauraunt is called and see all of Boston and the communities nearby. Driving anywhere in Boston is scary. As an alternative, Get a Boston & Maine train schedule on line, part of the Amtrack .com site. Take the train in from Danvers, then walk about two blocks to the inner city's Quincy Market, mostly places to eat before you go to see the Bruins,which is close to the train terminal. Also the Aquarium and Freedom Trail are close by. Near Quincy Market is the North End for more food including Ray Bourque's eatery [ Pricey?] You can also walk along the Boston waterfront starting at the Marriott Waterfront hotel. Might want to take a ferry across Boston Harbor to Logan airport just for sightseing, but it could be cold. My favorite fish place was jimmy's Harborside, don't know if it is still there. On your way home detour up thru Kennebunkport , Maine and drive along the ocean. Great places to eat in Cape Porpoise, next to Kennebunkport. Have a great trip

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to lambda13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chowda, they do in fact almost all have afternoon showings. If you're bored there are a few pool halls, laser tag, and a Chuck-e-Cheese if you have children. Not sure how old you are haha.

Also depending on the weather you can always check out he beaches in Manchester, Ipswich, Beverly, Rever and Swampscott. It can be fun to go for a walk on the beach even in the winter.

[/QUOTE]

My kids are old enough so that they could take their children to Chuck-E-Cheese.

The beach is a must for me though. I want to check out sights of the ocean and shorelines.

[/QUOTE]

You aren't that far from the Charlestown Navy Yard.  I haven't been there in 10 years but if you want some nautical theme stuff, its a must.