Darren Dreiger article on Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Darren Dreiger article on Bruins

Failing a setback, Boston Bruins forward Marc Savard will return to the team's lineup later this month or early in December. Meanwhile, Marco Sturm isn't far behind and hopes to rejoin the Bruins by mid-December at the latest.

Combined, Savard and Sturm represent a $7.5 million cap hit, which would put Boston about $2 million over the $59.4 million cap.

Multiple transactions may be required; trades are an option, but it's not GM Peter Chiarelli's only play.

There are vultures circling - the Toronto Maple Leafs being one - but no offers have been presented and Boston would rather waive players and assign them to the AHL than make a rival stronger.

Veteran forward Michael Ryder eats up $4 million in cap space and is a candidate for demotion, while defenceman Andrew Ference, who's a $2.25 million cap hit, is a trade target as well.

Keep in mind that the Bruins own Toronto's first round Draft pick in 2011 via the Phil Kessel trade, so Boston has no interest in helping the Leafs get better. Toronto will have to focus on New Jersey, Philadelphia, Vancouver and Calgary -the NHL's other cap challenged clubs - or budget-sensitive teams like Phoenix, Dallas, Florida or Atlanta in hopes of luring the big centre they're seeking.

The staggered returns of Savard and Sturm will buy Chiarelli time to help manage the process, but this still only delays the inevitable.

The Bruins are now just days away from having to make difficult decisions

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from omega33. Show omega33's posts

Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Savard, Krejci, Bergy, Campbell down the middle.  Lucic, Horton, Seguin, Recchi, Caron on the wing.  Seems like an easy decision to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Wheeler is living on borrowed time. I believe he represents an annual cap hit of approx. $2.5 million. Once Savard and Sturm return, they will either trade or waive Wheeler. Ryder's salary at $4 million will not be easy to trade at this juncture of the season. Getting rid of Wheeler is not a hard decision. In fact, its an easy one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-83. Show nitemare-83's posts

I doubt it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins : who is ferrance and what team does he play for? never heard of him
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's related to that "Looshick" person the guy behind me at the game last night was constantly criticizing.

I finally turned around and bellowed "I'ts LOO-CHEECH!" at him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]Wheeler is living on borrowed time. I believe he represents an annual cap hit of approx. $2.5 million. Once Savard and Sturm return, they will either trade or waive Wheeler. Ryder's salary at $4 million will not be easy to trade at this juncture of the season. Getting rid of Wheeler is not a hard decision. In fact, its an easy one.
    Posted by Camperpete[/QUOTE]

I agree that Wheeler may not be around much longer.  However, there is little chance he will be waived.  He is still a young player with some skills and he is an asset.  They will either move him or bury him in the minors.

Ryder's days are probably numbered too but he is playing decent hockey lately(not great hockey!).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

I believe Dreiger was wrong when he says that we will be 2 million over the cap with both players. Last I heard was we were 1.8 under so by adding 7.5 we will have a Ryder and Wheeler contracts to move. My prediction is Ryder goes down to P-Bruins (If he clears waivers) and Wheeler for a second rounder .
    If Ryder is in the Ahl when the playoffs come along , could we call him up
    Is the salary cap stilll in play come playoff time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Actually it was nice to see Wheels step up in front of Recchi the other night, good reaction for a 6'5" guy. obviously Paille is being showcased for someone to offer draft pick or demote to Providence. Wheeler is the best bait for a trade due to his "potential". Like to see him go to Phoenix. Ryder also is labeled because it is a decision of Savard vs. Ryder and who would you pick. Ryder is not worrying since he will still be paid $4mil which goes a long way in NOVI. Could also be some movement on defense as Stuart just never seems to step up to being a dependable 3/4 rather than a promising but hesitant 5/6. Hunwick is playing better, still not big enough, but his speed and instincts are good; Boychuck due back next week should replace McQuaid who is still learning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins : Maybe he's related to that "Looshick" person the guy behind me at the game last night was constantly criticizing. I finally turned around and bellowed "I'ts LOO-CHEECH!" at him.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that fool.  He couldn't pronounce "Lucic" properly.  He's at the game, he paid his money.  Big deal if he can't pronounce the players name properly.  I bet you felt really vindicated bellowing at a stranger to show that you know more than him when it comes to pronouncing someone's name.  Did you also tell him what Looch had for lunch and what type of car Looch drives?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Thanks for the words of wisdom not a shat.

Uproductive posts: 3029

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I don't get why Bruin fans dump on NAS.

The guy is awesome !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

On the other hand, the posts of some of those so called "journalists..."

PFFFFFFTTTTTTT !

Can you also help us with the pronounciation of tomato and potato too ? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins :  Ryder's days are probably numbered too but he is playing decent hockey lately(not great hockey!). Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]

Good maybe it will bring in a higher conditional pick!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins : Good maybe it will bring in a higher conditional pick!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

trade him now !!!!!  hes going back to last years form and will only lose value if they wait!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Ference & Wheeler vs Savard and Sturm?   Thats easy. See you later Ference and Wheeler. Get something in return if you can Bruins.

This team will average one more goal a game with Savard and Sturm back. Ference can get replaced by Boychuk and Wheeler isn't going to do anything, he isn't made from NHL fabric.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get why Bruin fans dump on NAS. The guy is awesome !
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

An endorsement from RMiller87. LOL ! NAS has to be feeling pretty good about himself now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darren Dreiger article on Bruins : An endorsement from RMiller87. LOL ! NAS has to be feeling pretty good about himself now.
    Posted by dustyisacat[/QUOTE]

There has been a lot of posts bashing me here (mostly by the uninformed, immature or dumb) but this has to be the worst thing that has been said!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Most likely the article the OP refers to was written in August or September - before Caron, Marchand, and Seguin made the team.  Without them (and without McGratton) the Bruins need to clear about $2.2M of cap space.

At this point, I assume Chiarelli wants to keep those 3 players on the roster, so an extra $2.42M needs to be cleared.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

No, the article was posted on Thursday evening.  Darren Dreger is only really concerned with Toronto, so he didn't bother fact-checking Boston's cap number.  He probably only gets into the Bruins' cap issues because it opens up the possibility of a trade with the Leafs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Finally found that article.  I just didn't consider that a journalist would post something like that which is simply wrong, and so easily checked.  Disappointing times we live in.
    Edit:  Well, maybe not so much wrong as misleading.

Sections
Shortcuts