David Krejci Contract Extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Re: David Krejci Contract Extension

In Response to Re: David Krejci Contract Extension:
    Before the lifetime contracts come out to play, let's consider what other lifetime contracts have done: Next to nothing.  Give him four year, maximum.  If he's happy after that, extend him again.  If not, let him walk.  We're not talking about Gretz, Lemieux, Yzerman or Sakic. Adios.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I stated why I thought the long term deal would benefit the bruins. Its my opinion on krejci and what his value will be at a minimum going forward. if i'm wrong about that i would gladly admit it, but unfortunately we won't be able to know who is right on that one for a while. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Before the lifetime contracts come out to play, let's consider what other lifetime contracts have done: Next to nothing.  Give him four year, maximum.  If he's happy after that, extend him again.  If not, let him walk.  We're not talking about Gretz, Lemieux, Yzerman or Sakic. Adios.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Typical rotten spoiled boston fan. Our #1 center takes us to the first cup in 39 years and you say adious. Fans like you make me want to throwup

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: David Krejci Contract Extension : I stated why I thought the long term deal would benefit the bruins. Its my opinion on krejci and what his value will be at a minimum going forward. if i'm wrong about that i would gladly admit it, but unfortunately we won't be able to know who is right on that one for a while. 
    Posted by thedauber1

My post wasn't directed at you, Daub.  It was to all of those who are praying to lock up Krejci for the next 10 years or so.

I consider a long term contract to be 4 years, five max.  A tremendous amount can change in four or five years.

Let's say the B's opt for four years, $5M each, $20M instead of eight years, $48M (buying out some years of free agency).  Krejci continues to get better.  After the fourth year, they sign him for three years, $7M.  It costs the team less up front and the salary cap hit isn't that bad in the future because the cap is much higher.

Consider the other side:  They go eight years, $48M.  He doesn't get better.  They've ovepaid greatly.

Consider the worst case:  8/$40M and he gets worse.  Now they're stuck with him in a Sheldon Souray quandry.

Keep it short, but long enough to keep him happy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Philly has shown the risk of the really long term for guys who are still in their early 20s.  The only value of those deals is they minimize cap pain by tacking on cheap years at the end.  For a guy like Krejci, you have to take the risk, however great or small, that his value goes up faster than the cap rises or that he plays himself out of your means - which should make for some great years in between.

There are always new players.  Exactly a decade ago, the Bruins had an emerging #1 C coming off of his fourth NHL season with a career high of 71 points.  Some wanted to lock him up until the Rapture too.  He went on and had a 101 point season and a 73 point season in Boston before the wheels came off and he went surfing.  Incidentally, that's one season in JT's entire Boston career where he scored more points than DK's career high to date.  Best never to let guys get complacent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

NAS - i completely see your point, long term contracts (really long term contracts) are normally a big gamble, but my feeling is that in this case it could really pay off. think of the upside, they sign him at 12 years at a cap hit of 4.75 per, and if he continues to get better in the last 6 years of his contract the cap hit is minimal as the cap continues to increase

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Krejci is going to be a lifelong Bruin, with his passing skills he is a valuable assett. NEVER GET RID OF THIS GUY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

4 years/ $20 million. Done deal. Everyone wins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

[QUOTE]4 years/ $20 million. Done deal. Everyone wins.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

When you say everybody, do you mean these troll posters, half of them who doubted the Bruins the entire playoff run

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think DK wants to be here and the Bruins want him here so his contract does not concern me.  He will definitely get a raise, he just lead the league in playoff scoring.  He outplayed Sedin, Stamkos, Lecavalier and Richards along the way.  He deserves a salary in their range, but will likely take quite a bit less.  He plays his best with Lucic, he doesn't need a Euro.  There has been no benefit to any team so far with long-term deals, only break evens or disasters.  We have yet to see them fully play out though, so a deal like say Mike Richards may end up looking good at the end.  All the same, injuries can change a player.  I prefer moderate length deals and just sign extensions later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

4 years 20 mil sounds right..Allways remember the price for good players
    allways goes up. I think Krejci has proven that he is a money player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I agree with NAS 4 to 5 yaers is long term any more is a big gamble.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS - i completely see your point, long term contracts (really long term contracts) are normally a big gamble, but my feeling is that in this case it could really pay off. think of the upside, they sign him at 12 years at a cap hit of 4.75 per, and if he continues to get better in the last 6 years of his contract the cap hit is minimal as the cap continues to increase
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

12 years!  There might be 10 players over the past 10 years that have performed extremely well over the course of 12 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

i'm not necessarily saying that he would perform at this level for 12 years (i don't think he will) but at the end of his contract his cap hit would be nothing, an absolute non factor. maybe i just know your right but want to know that krejci will be a bruin for his career haha

Sections
Shortcuts