David Stern 2014, Bettman?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

David Stern 2014, Bettman?

The first one to admit when it is a good time to retire, when your style is 1990s.  Hockey like other sports is better off with a refreshing point of view.  Bettman, a basketball guy, has brought on workstoppage several times.  JJ's influence is noted ( his influence is getting old), and ironically accepted with regards to the Cap creation in the 2004 CBA.  Yet is it time for Bettman to be checking out condos in Florida or even Newfoundland?  Bye bye David Stern and to his protege as well.  "Give me what I want! NHL hockey!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: David Stern 2014, Bettman?

I don't blame Bettman. I place blame evenly across the board. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I don't either, although I believe the bulk of the blame game needs to be placed on his bosses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I don't either, although I believe the bulk of the blame game needs to be placed on his bosses.

[/QUOTE]

Greed vs. greed does not get weighted on one side or the other. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep and Bettman is being handed a CBA and told to go negotiate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

Sure it does.  hence the words "greedier", "greediest"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I see Bettman as much less culpable than Fehr, but still partly to blame.  He doesn't have final say, but can influence decisions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure it does.  hence the words "greedier", "greediest"

[/QUOTE]

...........I guess.....especially for someone like you who is trying to rationalize on who's to blame this mess on the most. 

Not for me . My thoughts are they are equal partners in the greed department on this one. Weighted neither way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

...........I guess.....especially for someone like you who is trying to rationalize on who's to blame this mess on the most. 

Not for me . My thoughts are they are equal partners in the greed department on this one. Weighted neither way.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  Respect your opinion, but I'd like to know more why you feel they're so equal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  Respect your opinion, but I'd like to know more why you feel they're so equal.

[/QUOTE]

Sure. It's very simple for me.

Have you seen one side or the other moving enough from their side of the negotiations to get a settlement ? I haven't....... equally greedy with big egos leading the way.

There's a ton of money out there for both sides to make. You have two big ego's heading the negotiating. This is their Stanley Cup. Divying up the revenue is the problem. Neither one wants to be viewed as the one who "lost" money for their side. Greedy for the money and greedy for their reputations.

My pipedream ? At this point of the negotiations throw the suits out of the negotiations and there's a chance of something getting done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The NHL started at 43% with the players at 57%.

THe NHL is now at 50%.  The players are not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Once the NHL went to 50% the players should have taken it and ran. I realize there are other issues as well, but the longer this goes, the chances of the players seeing 50% may get sliimer.

I think that 50% offer was a one shot deal in hopes of salvaging an 82 game season. Donald Fehr is a smart cat, but to call that offer ridiculous didnt strike me as very bright.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I think Bettman also wants retire.  After the last proposal he presented to the PA he looked tired, after Fehr and PA presented their 3 options refusing the NHLs' Bettman looked worse , pale and extremely disappointed.

Chowdah are you a Libra ?  I'm but my scale is slightly tilted on the owners.

I blame the agents !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once the NHL went to 50% the players should have taken it and ran. I realize there are other issues as well, but the longer this goes, the chances of the players seeing 50% may get sliimer.

I think that 50% offer was a one shot deal in hopes of salvaging an 82 game season. Donald Fehr is a smart cat, but to call that offer ridiculous didnt strike me as very bright.

[/QUOTE]

I remember starting a thread way back when the PA was about to hire him , the guy does not give 2 shiits about hockey,  he's just building his portfolio for the next job, the NFL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Bettman also wants retire.  After the last proposal he presented to the PA he looked tired, after Fehr and PA presented their 3 options refusing the NHLs' Bettman looked worse , pale and extremely disappointed.

I blame the agents !

[/QUOTE]

You think he wants to retire because he looks tired?  His job doesn't more stressful than it is right now.  That means nothing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I remember starting a thread way back when the PA was about to hire him , the guy does not give 2 shiits about hockey,  he's just building his portfolio for the next job, the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

He wasn't hired to care about hockey.  He was hired by a union to get an acceptable deal done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of the NHL offering a $52M cap and the players rejecting it, only to agree to a $39M cap eight months later.  By the time these farmboys put pen to paper, it'll be a 55/45% for the owners.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I blame the agents !

[/QUOTE]

You think he wants to retire because he looks tired?  His job doesn't more stressful than it is right now.  That means nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Just a thought that crosses the mind but no, I don't know what Bettman is thinking. 

I also doubt Bettan would move to the NBA, retirement would be his next move, in how many years ?  Boh ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He wasn't hired to care about hockey.  He was hired by a union to get an acceptable deal done.

[/QUOTE]

Agree , players looked at his resume .  If only the players would realize to him it makes no difference if there's hockey or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of the NHL offering a $52M cap and the players rejecting it, only to agree to a $39M cap eight months later.  By the time these farmboys put pen to paper, it'll be a 55/45% for the owners.

[/QUOTE]

The longers it goes (went) the owners go into damage control and figure out how to replace their losses. 

p.s. your boy said the owners are trying to strongarm the players

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I don't think greed is the word here, I think stupidity is.

How is it good for anybody to have a work stoppage or a strike?

Look at the advantage this seasonal entertainment industry has, it's not like some auto manufacturing plant where production has to be 24/7 pretty much and where the workers are talking about basic benefits and such.

I would think the first order of business would be an agreement to make an agreement by such and such a date and enforce it by agreeing to penalties on BOTH sides if the deadline isn't met.

Which is actually what's happening now because of the work stoppage, both sides are losing money.  Wouldn't it have been better if they could have hammered it out over the summer, both sides paying a million a day to charity for every day an agreement wasn't had by let's say August 1?

Yes, you might say who would be so stupid as to agree to throw money away, but isn't that what's happening now?  And wouldn't it be less of net loss to both sides if they did it that way?  At very least the revenue wouldn't have stopped coming in.

I don't know that much about business, but here's what I'm sure of;

1) I've dedicated maybe (*maybe*) 8 or 9 hours of my life thinking and talking about this, and I've come up with some 'out of the box ideas to avoid stoppages/strikes.  I haven't heard any such similar ideas coming out of the players or owners.

2) Isn't it someone's job to be thinking about this stuff?  And haven't they had 7 years or so to think about it?

3) If I owned such a business my first prioriy would be to keep the business running and insure no work stoppages

4) If I represented the workers in such a business my first prioriy would be to keep the business running and insure no work stoppages

All of these morons have a great deal going.  

I would love to get paid for playing hockey.

And no one put a gun to someone's head forcing them to buy a hockey team, no profit is certain, but I would think it a LOT less risky than coughing up several million to start some software or manufacturing company.  Owners can come to an agreement with their comptetitors, not typical in the business world.  If they're losing money at least they can try to move to Hamilton or Brooklyn for that matter.

Both sides got it good, all they have to do is figure out a way to keep the doors open.

And they can't do that.  In general neither side could cut it in the world that me and you live in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Greed and Stupidity on BOTH sides

The problem is due to over expansion

Owners wanted the franchise fees - players wanted more jobs

Now, it's time to pay the piper

BUT ! The players can only lose by not signing an agreement- they only need to have Fehr bring a calculator to their next meeting and try to reconcile the lost salary the are giving up while they waste time negotiating percenatges- it's a loser for them, and the owners know it.

It's simple math-

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

I blame the agents !

[/QUOTE]

Is this a pickup line ?

Yes I am. But I am a heterosexual male who is happily married.

Some Libra's like myself think both sides are at fault.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I blame the agents !

[/QUOTE]

Is this a pickup line ?

[/QUOTE]

LOL  ... I was speaking of scales .

I also am happily married .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I blame the agents !

[/QUOTE]

Is this a pickup line ?

[/QUOTE]

LOL  ... I was speaking of scales .

I also am happily married .

[/QUOTE]

Oh btw, belated October 18th Happy Birthday.

Sections
Shortcuts