DC's Draft Rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

DC's Draft Rankings

Here's how the first 14 picks would go in this year's draft if I was in charge of all the non-playoff teams. Also note that the comparison is who I see that player developing into at the NHL level at the high end of his potential, not what he is at the junior/college level.

1. Adam Larsson (D) -- Size, strength, mobile, hard shot (Comparison: Chris Pronger)

2. RNH (C) -- Elite offensive skill, smart, shifty (Comparison: Patrick Kane)

3.Gabriel Landeskog (W)-- Grit, leadership, most complete player available (Comparison: Mike Richards)

4. Doug Hamilton (D) -- Size, smarts, puck moving abilities and a little toughness too (Comparison: Shea Weber)

5. Ryan Murphy (D)-- Best puck mover available, smart, dynamic, great skater (Comparison: Dan Boyle/Mike Green)

6. Ryan Strome (C/W)-- Quick, sneaky, creative with finishing touch (Comparison: David Krejci)

7. Jonathan Huberdeau (C) -- Elite level offensive skills, can make plays and score, a little small/lanky (Comparison: Jason Spezza)

8. Matt Puempel (W)-- Great shot, offensive minded, struggles with inconsistency (Comparison: Alexei Kovalev)

9. Sean Couturier (C) -- Great size, high-end skills, defensively responsible (Comparison: Jordan Staal)

10. Duncan Seimens (D) -- Big, strong, rugged d-man (Comparison: Adam Foote)

11. Tyler Biggs (W) -- Great defensively, can put up decent offensive numbers, gritty, hard hitter (Comparison: Lucic-Kesler hybrid)

12. Brandon Saad (W) -- Size, good at protecting puck, can score although very raw (Comparison: Blake Wheeler)

13. Scott Mayfield (D) -- All-around solid player, can play in all situations, though not elite in any way (Comparison: Brad Stuart)

14. Jamie Oleksiak (D) -- Chara sized d-man (Comparison: Hal Gill)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Re: DC's Draft Rankings

Why do you have Couturier so low? I havent seen him lower than 6 anywhere. Just curious.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: DC's Draft Rankings:
    [QUOTE]Why do you have Couturier so low? I havent seen him lower than 6 anywhere. Just curious.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

I knew that one would be unpopular, but I don't see him being the kind of impact player he is in junior at the NHL level. I think he's got a shot to be Jordan Staal, but more than likely will end up a third/second liner. Mind you, a very good third/second liner, but I still wouldn't want to use a very high pick on him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I have to say that I liked the little I saw from Couturier in the WJC, hes definitely fallen from preseason #1 though.

Id love to land Dougie Hamilton. I still think we can end up w/ a #5 or 6 from Toronto.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]I have to say that I liked the little I saw from Couturier in the WJC, hes definitely fallen from preseason #1 though. Id love to land Dougie Hamilton. I still think we can end up w/ a #5 or 6 from Toronto.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

Couturier reminds me of Wheeler -- big guy who uses his size a little in junior/college, but won't ever use it in the NHL because he doesn't have the strength to overpower guys anymore.

Hamilton would be a great pick-up for the Bruins as would Murphy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67028

Looks like Spooner leaving to Kitchener has hurt Puempel he has dropped to 23rd and 24th on some ranking sites. I've been saying all season I'd like Matt. Murphy is 13th and 9th on some sites with all the forwards Chiarelli has drafted the last few years you would think if Murphy is available around pick 7 through 9 the Bruins scouts would tell PC to grab him.

DC, Haven't seen much of Nathan Beaulieu ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks dc, interesting stuff.

The only guy I have seen with my own eyes this year is Biggs, who I think will be a real fan favorite type wherever he goes.  Lucic is a good comparison although he may be an even better skater.

Would love Murphy or Hamilton with the Toronto pick, from what I have read.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]                 DC, Haven't seen much of Nathan Beaulieu ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how I overlooked him. In fact, the reason I have so many D-men on the list is because I think some GM's will try to overcompensate for the fact that Fowler dropped so far; I think offensive defenseman will be at a premium this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks DC, I know the Bs draft pick will be more than likely a defenseman unless a talented forward drops. I happen to think the pick will be around number 7 or 8.  My question is your selections based on the Bs need for a bonifide defenseman as a prospect?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I think Oleksiak is a darkhorse in this years draft. Could be a really big steal around 14-20 for ateam willing to gamble on him.

Larsson has got to be one of my favorite draft players in a few years. I really like swedes I think they play the game with great style. They are also usually tough and smart but not fighters. I think any team that drafts him will be happy for a while to come.

As for the B's chances Id like to nab Hamilton but Murphy could develop into a NHL PMD. Hopefully.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]My question is your selections based on the Bs need for a bonifide defenseman as a prospect?
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

To make a "pick" I went with some idiosyncratic combination of the type of player I think they are likely to become (see: comparison) with the likelihood of that happening.

For example, Sean Couturier, I say, could be like Jordan Staal. That's pretty good, so he's up there. However, I don't think it's that likely, so he falls behind a guy like Matt Puempel who I say is like Alexei Kovalev, just as good as Staal, but more likely to reach that potential than Couturier.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DC's Draft Rankings : I have no idea how I overlooked him. In fact, the reason I have so many D-men on the list is because I think some GM's will try to overcompensate for the fact that Fowler dropped so far; I think offensive defenseman will be at a premium this year.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt this.  We, as fans, probably get hung up on Fowler's offensive success.  Teams who subscribe to the idea that D take 3-5 years to develop are looking at Fowler's +/- being twice as bad as any other player on that team and wondering how many games lost that translates to for a team that's on the playoff bubble.  They'll also have staff in the war room saying "yeah, and he was only the third D taken (Gudbranson and McIlrath) - so it's a crap shoot."

That said, you might be right for other reasons.  The Islanders have only drafted one D in the first round since 1999 - Calvin deHaan.  They might feel like it's time given that they have Tavares and Moulson, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, then Nino, Nelson, Czikias, and maybe even Kabanov in the pipe. They're already seeing returns on drafting Travis Hamonic, too, so they could feel like they don't have to wait on the right guy.  The Oilers are in sort of the same situation given that their drafted forwards - Eberle, Hall, Paajarvi, Omark, Cogliano and Gagner - seem to be developing quickly while the recent high end drafted D aren't - Theo Peckham's the exception.  Gilbert and Whitney are young, but came over by trade, so maybe the Oil will remain gunshy.  Colorado is all over the place.  Even with Johnson, they've deal away a lot of D prospects over the years - the Bruins alone have plucked Boychuk and Cohen, and they gave up Shattenkirk for Johnson.  On the other hand, watch Stefan Elliot in Saskatoon who is putting up great O numbers and is bigger than a lot of the "PMD's" to come through in the last little while.  They also have Tyson Barrie, good player, and Cameron Gaunce who I know nothing about.  Tallon took Gudbranson last year, so he's not afraid to go D early in Florida.  If the Senators take a D it will be Larson.  They have Karlsson already, they seem to go back and forth on Brian Lee, and they do have one or two decent prospects in Jared Cowan and Patrick Wiercioch.  But as I say, if they do go D, they're drafting the top guy who everyone is saying is a top four pick for certain.

Blues have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, and then Rundblad - not a need.
    Atlanta - see the Bogosian trade threads.
    NJ - possible.  Ditto Columbus, who tries to draft D but hasn't had much luck since drafting McQuaid and Kris Russell in 2005.

I think we see pretty much the same story - D go later than we'd been led to believe.  Murphy's probably the one guy really affected by Fowler's success - he might stay in the top ten rather than drop out like Fowler did.

Sections
Shortcuts