Deadline Bruin Trade that almost happened

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Deadline Bruin Trade that almost happened

Seemingly the Bruins were set to send either Ryan Spooner or Alexander Khoklachev and Matt Bartkowski to Vancouver for Edler.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/report-bruins-had-deal-in-place-for-edler-but-canucks-blew-it/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Deadline Bruin Trade that almost happened

i saw your links in the other posts as wel, good stuff.

I wonder if we'll see part 2 this summer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

The link to the original story by Fluto is worth checking out. I spent a decade - plus my education - as a reporter. This is the best trade deadline post mortem-reporting that I've seen this year. Fluto took what he learned from various public comments to verify his anonymous tip. Very intriguing story and let's you know how the franchise probably really feels about its position for the playoffs.

Based on this, it's probably safe to deduce that these playoffs will be an audition for Bartkowski to show potential to be a potential top-four man for the Bruins, whom hold RFA rights for him after the season. 

Most interesting is that it also seems likely that the Bruins are serious about finding a horse Dman to fill the gap during Chara's regression and the rise of the kids, namely Hamilton. The stop-gap does not need to be a franchise Dman; he needs to be a very good blueliner to take up the slack in Zee's game and provide cover for Hamilton as he ascends. 

Very interesting insight. Good reporting Fluto.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsow. Show bruinsow's posts

Just out of curiosity, isn't Edler signed for 5 more yrs at 5m? Would the Bruins be able to take on his salary without subtracting anything next year because of the higher cap?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It appears that PC was doing what any good GM does. He explored multiple avenues and worked on a bunch of things that for one reason or another didn't pan out which is often the result. But I get the feeling he will make a significant trade during the off-season. Anyone else feel that way? I think he is trying to win now, partially because the Chara window is going to close soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It appears that PC was doing what any good GM does. He explored multiple avenues and worked on a bunch of things that for one reason or another didn't pan out which is often the result. But I get the feeling he will make a significant trade during the off-season. Anyone else feel that way? I think he is trying to win now, partially because the Chara window is going to close soon.

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely feel like way.  Maybe not a top 2 dman, but I definitely think hes going to try to get a top 4 guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Well im happy bartowski is still a bruin, I can see this kid coming of age in a hurry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

This trade was planned specifically as an arms race against Pittsburgh?  That seems odd.  It seems to suggests that Chiarelli thinks the move would have been needed to get past a bolstered Penguins team, but not to handle the best of the West.

As for after this season, it does seem like the writing on the wall is that Chiarelli wants to ween the Bruins of their dependence on Chara.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

With Seidenberg coming back though, how do they pick up a guy with their cap situation? Only way I could see it is if Boychuk goes the other way. I would throw in a pretty sweet kicker to get Jack Johnson, he's cheap. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Seidenberg coming back though, how do they pick up a guy with their cap situation? Only way I could see it is if Boychuk goes the other way. I would throw in a pretty sweet kicker to get Jack Johnson, he's cheap. 

[/QUOTE]

Cap should go up by a lot next season...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] It appears that PC was doing what any good GM does. He explored multiple avenues and worked on a bunch of things that for one reason or another didn't pan out which is often the result. [/QUOTE]

I would not want a GM to wait for another GM to move salary out first to make a deal. Why wait. If this is that deal that Chiarelli referred too in his presser. I've never thought that Chiarelli doesn't explore all possibilities. Case(s) in point - Boychuk and McQuaid through his AHL scouts and being patient with Soderberg.

Jeezum Gillis is annoying!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] It appears that PC was doing what any good GM does. He explored multiple avenues and worked on a bunch of things that for one reason or another didn't pan out which is often the result. [/QUOTE]

I would not want a GM to wait for another GM to move salary out first to make a deal. Why wait. If this is that deal that Chiarelli referred too in his presser. I've never thought that Chiarelli doesn't explore all possibilities. Case(s) in point - Boychuk and McQuaid through his AHL scouts and being patient with Soderberg.

Jeezum Gillis is annoying!

[/QUOTE]
    I think the wait had more to do with whether or not Gillis was going to do a full blow up.

If he traded Kesler, then he could justify getting rid of Edler and say they're in full rebuild. When they failed to trade Kesler, the Aquilini's came out immediately and said their goal is to make the playoffs this year (despite having just shipped off their starting goalie) That line wouldn't work if they sent their number 2 D out of town as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Makes no sense. Why would Gillis have to move salary to take on Bartkowski and Spooner? He just dealt Luongo and would be taking Edler off the books.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not by as much as originally thought.  Looks like the weakening Canadian dollar is affecting revenue projections and ultimately the final cap number.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/falling-canadian-dollar-could-cause-huge-swing-in-salary-cap/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Benning was on the radio between periods last night.  He basically said they had something they were working on but couldn't get it done in time.  He followed that up with another comment suggesting that they're going to try it again in the summer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE]

Jeezum Gillis is annoying! [/QUOTE]

I think the wait had more to do with whether or not Gillis was going to do a full blow up.

the Aquilini's came out immediately and said their goal is to make the playoffs this year (despite having just shipped off their starting goalie)  [/QUOTE]

6-1 Dallas last night and the Stars had the puck the whole game. If I were living in Vancouver I would wear my Bruin apparel everyday. Stick it right in their faces!

You are the best Gillis!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Everyone's killing Gillis because he didn't blow things up at the deadline, but that's a huge step to take mid-season with a rabid fanbase. I actually think it's pretty smart to ride out the season, miss the playoffs by oh-so-much, get the draft picks, then blow the whole thing up early summer so there's time to let the dust settle before camp.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

This summer it wouldn't suprise me to see Edler and Kesler along with another lesser-known for a package including Subban and Bart in which we need to deal them another younger player with a substantial salary. (DK)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone's killing Gillis because he didn't blow things up at the deadline, but that's a huge step to take mid-season with a rabid fanbase. I actually think it's pretty smart to ride out the season, miss the playoffs by oh-so-much, get the draft picks, then blow the whole thing up early summer so there's time to let the dust settle before camp.

[/QUOTE]

I still think theyre closer to being a very good team than they are to being a bad one. I dont think they can fully blow it up without trading the Sedins and I dont see that happening. If they trade Kesler and or Edler, I think they get players instead of draft picks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with some of what you're saying asm, but I think considering the whole mess that the Canucks were already in after the whole Scheinder/Luongo debuacle. Bringing in such a controversial coach wasn't the smartest move. I like Torts for the most part, but Gillis made a huge mistake bringing a hostile coach into an already hostile envirionment. You had the whole mess with the game against the Flames, then the coach basically says the team needs different personal and then the whole not starting your #1 goalie in the Heritage game & saying he went with the goalie that gave them the best chance to win! So, I blame Gillis for all of it, because you know someone like Torts isn't going to change. He should've known he wasn't the right guy for the Canucks envirionment! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Uncle-Salty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This summer it wouldn't suprise me to see Edler and Kesler along with another lesser-known for a package including Subban and Bart in which we need to deal them another younger player with a substantial salary. (DK)

[/QUOTE] It will be Kreci, Bartkowski and Subban for Kesler, Edler and Zack Kassian. Kassian is a 23-24 yr old Thornton.

That will depend on how bruins do in playoffs. Another point is with the increase in sal cap next year.. will the bruins spend up to it

[/QUOTE]

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to stanjonathan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not by as much as originally thought.  Looks like the weakening Canadian dollar is affecting revenue projections and ultimately the final cap number.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/falling-canadian-dollar-could-cause-huge-swing-in-salary-cap/

[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but there's the potential for a bonus money penalty from this season to eat up that entire increase for the Bruins.  This offseason may end up requiring some creative book-keeping.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[/QUOTE]

I agree with some of what you're saying asm, but I think considering the whole mess that the Canucks were already in after the whole Scheinder/Luongo debuacle. Bringing in such a controversial coach wasn't the smartest move. I like Torts for the most part, but Gillis made a huge mistake bringing a hostile coach into an already hostile envirionment. You had the whole mess with the game against the Flames, then the coach basically says the team needs different personal and then the whole not starting your #1 goalie in the Heritage game & saying he went with the goalie that gave them the best chance to win! So, I blame Gillis for all of it, because you know someone like Torts isn't going to change. He should've known he wasn't the right guy for the Canucks envirionment! 

[/QUOTE]

No doubt hiring Torts was a problem, but at the time everyone felt they were still Cup contenders. They went for credentials, not fit. Still a mistake, especially as you mentioned they're stuck with a win-now coach but a build-for-the-future need.

Honestly, asking roster players in return for Kesler or Edler means they now have more dancing partners. If top teams want those guys, they'll need to shed salary anyway. It sets up perfectly like the Dallas trade this past July. Send some salary out, bring some in...and get the player you want (Edler).

Sections
Shortcuts