Dear Felger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Dear Felger

You were a negative nancy all season long. You took shot after shot, after shot at Claude Julien. Well, asshat, the Bruins are STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS. You may niow bow down and kiss Claude's feet

That applies to a lot of people around here who did nothing but call for his head. How you like him now?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Dear Felger

Im one of those who voiced my opinion on CJ and just like players he needed critism to improve. I can tell you he learned alot about coaching in this 2011 playoff run, therefore gaining my confidence to guide them once more to the end. Im not an asshat and dont beleive anyone who has an opinion right or wrong are either.
    Congrats to CJ.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Did you watch the postgame at all? Felger was quick to point out that he was one of the loudest doubters of this team, and especially of CJ. He admitted how wrong he was, and in what ways.

Many people rip on Felger for having very strong opinions that often are in contrast to the masses. What seems to be missed, however, is that he ALWAYS admits when he's wrong, and is quick to do so. That second part is why I respect him. It's easy to doubt or be negative, it takes a real man to sit in front of the camera, and admit how wrong he was.

Your venom would be better seved at people like Luongo, who doesn't get that second part. Or Hanson, who is a selfish idiot. Or the fans of Vancouver, who showed what absolute dogs they are by nearly drowning out Bettman as he's trying to Congratulate both the Bs and Canucks (really, there's a time and a place, that was neither), and then burning their own city, and beating Bruins fans. Totally disgusting behavior by totally disgusting people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

The best was listening to Shawn Thorton post game.  Telling Felger to Suck It!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Felger:
    Did you watch the postgame at all? Felger was quick to point out that he was one of the loudest doubters of this team, and especially of CJ. He admitted how wrong he was, and in what ways. Many people rip on Felger for having very strong opinions that often are in contrast to the masses. What seems to be missed, however, is that he ALWAYS admits when he's wrong, and is quick to do so. That second part is why I respect him. It's easy to doubt or be negative, it takes a real man to sit in front of the camera, and admit how wrong he was. Your venom would be better seved at people like Luongo, who doesn't get that second part. Or Hanson, who is a selfish idiot. Or the fans of Vancouver, who showed what absolute dogs they are by nearly drowning out Bettman as he's trying to Congratulate both the Bs and Canucks (really, there's a time and a place, that was neither), and then burning their own city, and beating Bruins fans. Totally disgusting behavior by totally disgusting people.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Great post. Felger gets bashed but he's been talking hockey for YEARS now. The D & C show and WEEI have openly mocked hockey and fans of the Bruins yet not a mention about that.
    Felger is passionate about the sport and the Bruins in particular. I can't believe that he's a target but you have the right to your opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

Let me get this straight, you are more irate about a sportscaster/writer who is a hockey fan and cares about the sport than about the other %90 of the local guys who didn't give a crap about the Bruins until the TB series?

As I am writing this, I am listening to Burton talk like he is a hockey expert/historian.  That pisses me off.

Oh well, I'm a long time fan and am just happy we won.  Been a long time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmanning. Show tmmanning's posts

Felger is a va jay jay If your gonna criticize the coach you gotta stick by it win or lose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

It's official, I'm a Thorton fan now.  

Burton is interviewing him and he says "How come I only see you when the big things happen?"

perfect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Felger said numerous times that he didn't think the Bruins did the right thing by extending Lucic, Chara and Thomas to long contracts and big dollars.  He said he liked all 3 of those players but wasn't sure they were gonna bring Boston a Stanley Cup.  He was wrong.  He can't backpedal there and I think he's even admitted that he was wrong about those 3 guys.   

He did remain steadfast in his criticism of Julien, even after game 6.  With his argument shrinking daily, he still disagreed with some of his calls ranging from in-game to setting the lines.  He didn't change his tune much on Julien over the course of the playoffs.  He was wrong about him.  So were a lot of people. 

Fellas, Felger is paid to have an opinion.  It's probably the same opinion a lot of fans had, but you just don't get the air time he does.  He calls it as he sees it, and he's wrong sometimes.  Pile on him, but you know some of you agreed with him, especially with his Claude rants that were heavily based on losing to Philly last year.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Did you watch the postgame at all? Felger was quick to point out that he was one of the loudest doubters of this team, and especially of CJ. He admitted how wrong he was, and in what ways. Many people rip on Felger for having very strong opinions that often are in contrast to the masses. What seems to be missed, however, is that he ALWAYS admits when he's wrong, and is quick to do so. That second part is why I respect him. It's easy to doubt or be negative, it takes a real man to sit in front of the camera, and admit how wrong he was. Your venom would be better seved at people like Luongo, who doesn't get that second part. Or Hanson, who is a selfish idiot. Or the fans of Vancouver, who showed what absolute dogs they are by nearly drowning out Bettman as he's trying to Congratulate both the Bs and Canucks (really, there's a time and a place, that was neither), and then burning their own city, and beating Bruins fans. Totally disgusting behavior by totally disgusting people.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

I agree, as much as Felger can be negative he can admit when he was wrong.  If his negative comments gave the Bruins motivation, which Thornton's comments suggest, that's not a bad thing in my mind. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Cedric Bryan Maxwell did a whole Dear Felgy thing after the Celtics won in 2008.
    Its kinda funny and nauseating at the same time...I like Felgy 
    and he did fess up last nite..So lets live and own these precious moments

TY Bruins  TY Boston

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

Felger said numerous times that he didn't think the Bruins did the right thing by extending Lucic, Chara and Thomas to long contracts and big dollars.  He said he liked all 3 of those players but wasn't sure they were gonna bring Boston a Stanley Cup.  He was wrong.  He can't backpedal there and I think he's even admitted that he was wrong about those 3 guys.    He did remain steadfast in his criticism of Julien, even after game 6.  With his argument shrinking daily, he still disagreed with some of his calls ranging from in-game to setting the lines.  He didn't change his tune much on Julien over the course of the playoffs.  He was wrong about him.  So were a lot of people.  Fellas, Felger is paid to have an opinion.  It's probably the same opinion a lot of fans had, but you just don't get the air time he does.  He calls it as he sees it, and he's wrong sometimes.  Pile on him, but you know some of you agreed with him, especially with his Claude rants that were heavily based on losing to Philly last year.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Don't forget he said Bergy wasn't worth 5 mil....he is the runner up for MVP behind Timmy but atleast Felger talks hockey and as a fan of hockey you can't always be right on your opinions....Felger is one of the best sports guys in the the country he is very entertaining

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Felger : Great post. Felger gets bashed but he's been talking hockey for YEARS now. The D & C show and WEEI have openly mocked hockey and fans of the Bruins yet not a mention about that. Felger is passionate about the sport and the Bruins in particular. I can't believe that he's a target but you have the right to your opinion.
    Posted by ROWDYRODRUST

Great point. Where has anyone turned to for knowledgeable hockey talk for the past 5+ years? Only Felger. Even the Great American Hockey show was only online because there hasn't been a big Bruins following, at least not on the airwaves, for many years.

Anyone on WEEI talking hockey is basically a joke. In fact, that's why Tony Amonte was brought in, because none of the other "talent" in Boston knows a lick about Hockey, especially as the other 3 teams piled up 6 Trophies since '01.

I was one of the lead Felger bashers before he got his own show on 98.5. I was mortified when that station launched with him and Mazz in the prime slot. But, after listening a LOT (driving was my job for a year after that station launched) I gained a new perspective. When reading Felger, he comes off as arrogant and pompous. I think that was just the wrong outlet. It didn't give him a chance to show that he can admit when wrong, and be very self depricating. I mean, seriously, he and Thorton had a piece at night where it was always "Who would you rather punch, me or..." and he picked Felger 99% of the time. I'm glad Thorton threw it out there post game, I'm sure Felger was waiting for it.

He can dish it out, and he certainly does. But he takes just as much. He lets people on the radio who he KNOWS are only calling to rub something in his face, but he takes it. I respect his opinions, at least he's not a company lapdog like the Big Zero (who is pulling Holley right down with him).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

My boy CJ brought it home! How any of you could argue against defense, which does which championships, hard work, establishing a consistent routine, holding players responsible and making them earn their ice, and keeping an enforcer in the lineup, I have no idea. 

Am I right that PC won the Cup during his first contract with the team? Or was this the beginning of his second? Either way, absolutely remarkable job by everyone involved in management. Mike O'Connell deserves a shout out too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I'll give Felger credit: he did some mea culpas on the air last night after the game.

I'm still in shock. I never thought I'd see this day come.

I have to admit that after 20+ years as an extremely passionate B's fan (my first game at the Old Garden was March 21, 1974, and I still have the ticket stub and program), the Jacobs ownership finally beat me down and began to drive me away around the mid-90s. I've been a casual fan ever since, going to 1 or 2 regular season games a year (usually not paying either--gifts or through work), and then turning up my antennae a bit once the playoffs started.

I have to hand it to you Black & Gold true believers who never gave up even during the darkest days of the C. Montgomery Jacobs ownership (and yes, I realize that the salary cap era has changed everything, but please don't ever forget how the man basically screwed Bruins fans for nearly 3 decades before that).....you people deserve to be celebrating this Cup a lot more than I do.

But you know, the heck with it. I'm going to celebrate anyway. I never thought I'd see this day come, and I go back to 1973 with this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Felger is a moron. Yes, he ate crow and said he was wrong but that doesn't change the fact he doesn't have any clue about hockey. He continually denigrated CJ and PC while also completely devaluing the importance of a great goalie in TT.

Everything he was vehemently stating was false. CJ is a good to great coach, and this was a great team from front to back. 4th line played phenomenal in game 7.

Because he admitted that he was a moron doesn't absolve him for being a moron.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

I actually missed his postgame stuff, so I retract my comments. Kudos to him for being a man. He's got more intergity than alot of media people around here

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

"Felger is a va jay jay If your gonna criticize the coach you gotta stick by it win or lose." No you don't -- that's what an opinionated ignoramus does. Felger is an honest man and passionate about hockey.  A person who speaks honestly isn't afraid to admit he was wrong, or to change his opinion, because it comes from an honest place. I like him -- he knows the game deeply, and he's brought hockey back to radio, which others have already said, and that's no small deal here, where, before 98.5, sports radio was focused on getting the best demographics, and that left hockey in the dust.   _________________________________________ Now that the Cup is here, watch EEI upgrade Holly's "hockey minute" to a "hockey five minutes"...
    Posted by Ergoetal

Agree with this. Felger is obnoxious, but at least he gets the hockey talk going. EEI openly mocked hockey/Bruins fans, I enjoy listening to 98.5 on the ride home.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Felger and Maz have and T & R have helped to bring hockey to the forefront for the first time in years.  Love him or hate him, at least Felger talks hockey, and he gets people to engage whether they agree or disagree.  T & R get Thornton, Lucic and other guys on the radio.  98.5 hit a home run with Bruins talk.  They had no way of knowing that the Bruins would have such a great year and they talked and talked about them anyway.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

I don't know enough about hockey to think that Julien is not a top coach.
    He's a hockey man, through and through. You can argue tactics, but I always bought into his strategy. The team bought in. Does that suggest that the players know nothing about hockey? Congratulations, Claude.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Saw this posted on another site.  Apparently Felger thinks Claude looks like the autopilot from Airplane. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Felger has bashed Chara, Thomas, Chiarelli, Julien, add Marchand to that as well, he was on him last playoffs and never even wanted to give him a chance.

As far as his criticism of Thomas...hey, this guy defied all odds, and didn't make it to the NHL until his 30s. Felger, and everyone else in the hockey world (they TRIED to trade him) doubted his style. Very few have made it work. Also, Felger has been a Rask fan longer than anyone, I think that helped fuel his talk.

Julien has made many people frustrated. There was talk during the seaosn that he and Cam weren't seeing eye to eye on his system. So is Cam a moron too? Until a coach wins, they are ALL questioned.

Untul this year, Chara had basically been a no show in every big game of his life. Not a complete no show, but not worthy of being called an elite defenseman.

Chiarelli has made some very questionable moves. To his credit, they pretty much all paid off this year (minus Kaberle). But Felger wasn't the only one questioning the Ference, Thomas, Ryder, and other deals at the time for the timing, money and length. He was just the one with the biggest stage to give his opinions.

Marchand he was just wrong about, and admitted that long ago. A young kid he projected as one thing,a nd turned out to be another.

I really don't see where Felger was ever spouting opinions that weren't widely shared, and entrenched in solid thinking/stats.

There was plenty he was right about during the playoffs (Rex PP time, Seguin PP lack of time, Kaberle uselessness), but it honestly doesn't matter, because the Bs won.

Sections
Shortcuts