Defence pairings next year.predictions please

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Defence pairings next year.predictions please

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

I'm a big Ference fan, he's a warrior.  I trust that whatever happens to him, the B's will make sure he is good with it.

I think it's also completely possible that money isn't a big thing for him anymore. He's made a good amount, and he might say i'll take a huge discount to be in boston. only time will tell. However I think its ridiculous that people say you can't leave out boychuk. Sure you can. He isn't Chara or Seidenberg, he's an average 2nd pairing d man that might get a bit too much money. 

Agree on all points.  JB's got 2 more years at $3.3M. B's are in a good spot with all their depth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm a big Ference fan, he's a warrior.  I trust that whatever happens to him, the B's will make sure he is good with it.

I think it's also completely possible that money isn't a big thing for him anymore. He's made a good amount, and he might say i'll take a huge discount to be in boston. only time will tell. However I think its ridiculous that people say you can't leave out boychuk. Sure you can. He isn't Chara or Seidenberg, he's an average 2nd pairing d man that might get a bit too much money. 

Boychuck was the best Bruins D man against the Rangers so it's not surprising that people are especially keen on keeping him. What's funny is how long you've been trashing J Boy while staying on Ference's jock. AF had some very good games this year but I could probably count them on one hand. He currently sits in the 8th slot of my personal depth chart. I'd slot him barely ahead of Redden at this point. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

If Boychuk is an average 2nd pair d-man, what is Ference? Average 3rd pair?

What is boychuk? yes, he blocks shots, that's great. He's got a rocket of a shot but that has translated to 14 goals in 248 NHL games (a little lower than shawn thornton's rate of scoring). He has 2 PPG in his entire NHL career, so he isn't exactly a PP guy. His first pass isn't very good. I don't know why, but I kinda like him, he'll always stick up for a teammate, is physical, but isn't always the best positionally. I don't like him playing over 20 minutes per game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

No slight to Boychuk intended, but if I'm looking at the options, I see Chara and Seidenberg as a cut above.  Boychuck and McQuaid are due to return, which leaves two potential openings for the three rooks (assuming they all look like this in the Fall).  Ference has been outplayed by two of the three rooks, and Hamilton won't be going anywhere, so he'll be either looking for a deal elsewhere or maybe offered a non-playing gig if he wants it (depends on his injury and offers, I guess).  So - do you deal Boychuk or McQuaid or do you hold off on one of Krug or Bartkowski until injuries strike?

There's an argument for trading JB - salary, maxed-out potential, return in trade.  That's my only point in distinguishing him from Cedfano and Seidenberg.

BTW, where's BadHab to tell us it will look like this:

Cedfano-Cross...

I agree 100% that Cedfano/Germanhammer are a cut above. I don't see Boychuk or McQuaid going anywhere, so that leaves 2 spots. Hamilton will get one for sure, that leaves Bart,Krug,Ference for one spot. With CJ as coach i don't see him wanting to get rid of Boychuk or McQuaid just yet. Maybe after Boychuk's contract is over? 1 more year to go?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

No slight to Boychuk intended, but if I'm looking at the options, I see Chara and Seidenberg as a cut above.  Boychuck and McQuaid are due to return, which leaves two potential openings for the three rooks (assuming they all look like this in the Fall).  Ference has been outplayed by two of the three rooks, and Hamilton won't be going anywhere, so he'll be either looking for a deal elsewhere or maybe offered a non-playing gig if he wants it (depends on his injury and offers, I guess).  So - do you deal Boychuk or McQuaid or do you hold off on one of Krug or Bartkowski until injuries strike?

There's an argument for trading JB - salary, maxed-out potential, return in trade.  That's my only point in distinguishing him from Cedfano and Seidenberg.

Cedfano-Cross...

I agree 100% that Cedfano/Germanhammer are a cut above. I don't see Boychuk or McQuaid going anywhere, so that leaves 2 spots. Hamilton will get one for sure, that leaves Bart,Krug,Ference for one spot. With CJ as coach i don't see him wanting to get rid of Boychuk or McQuaid just yet. Maybe after Boychuk's contract is over? 1 more year to go?

three rookies, two spots, except all those rookies need to play, and are very cheap. 

To the guy saying i'm on Andrew Ference's joke...I think Ference is a (was a) very good 3rd pairing d man. He brought a lot to the table. I do not think Johnny Boychuk is a good 2nd pairing or first pairing D. Not at all. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Cedfano-Cross...

three rookies, two spots, except all those rookies need to play, and are very cheap. 

To the guy saying i'm on Andrew Ference's joke...I think Ference is a (was a) very good 3rd pairing d man. He brought a lot to the table. I do not think Johnny Boychuk is a good 2nd pairing or first pairing D. Not at all. 

OK, we disagree, thats allright. I think Ference can be replaced, Boychuk not yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like Ference too but he's as good as gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Cedfano-Cross...

Ok, I'll let him know. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Is this this summer's dialogue ? What if Seidenberg retires ?  Boychuck is rock hard and solid, sometimes in the decision making. something to chew on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

sorry dez, didn't realize at first that it was you. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

One of my pet peeves.  Why are several people concerned about the timing of this conversation.  Several of us are interested, if you are not please don't let that impeded your ability to focus on the Penguins.  Go ahead, run along now.  Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

sorry dez, didn't realize at first that it was you. 

No need to be sorry. I was just being a dink. Go Bruins! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I like Ference too but he's as good as gone.

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on what PC deems as needs this summer and what it will take to fill them.  If there is a team out there looking for D and willing to deal a proven goal scorer to get it, anyone except Chara could be on the table and they keep Ference in a cap freindly deal.  Who knows whats around the corner.  I prefer not to speak in absolute terms because anything can happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Ference might fall into the Ryder category.The B's might like to keep him but will tell him to shop around and get back to them with his price, if they like him at that price they might keep him but they have replacements waiting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cap casulties will happen if Jacobs say "NO" to a buyout Peverley this summer. I don't know who will take Rich's $6M over two years so Boychuk could be that casulty. A shame be because Johnny B is indeed a hard worker.

In the long run of the cap cieling starting back lower...Hamilton, Bartkowski and Krug are inexpensive so they stay with the Bs. Bye, bye are the days of signing bridge-contracts for developing until the cap soars back to $70M.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Ference might fall into the Ryder category.The B's might like to keep him but will tell him to shop around and get back to them with his price, if they like him at that price they might keep him but they have replacements waiting.

It would seem like there will be very little money left to sign Ference and Horton once Rask gets paid. Looking at it from that perspective, it would appear as if Ference would be the guy who's easier to replace in the lineup. Just my opinion of course. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I posted this elsewhere but it bears repeating.

One of the upsides of the kids' play is how it impacts PC's cap manipulations next year. If he let Redden Ference and Johnson walk, he'd still have 7 D with Krug, Bartkowski, Hamilton Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid and Boychuk. That's $18.933 million to the D. He has 11 forwards under contract (not counting Savard) for $37.75 million, with a total committed payroll of 56.683. If Savard goes LTIR that leaves him 7.617 to get his keepers signed and two more forwards.

A buyout to someone like Peverley gives enough space for the holes to be filled with promotions from Providence. Not ideal, but we knew it would be a tight cap year, and the performance of these three young D - and their entry level contracts - gives PC a lot more wiggle room.

Basically due to the Cap restraints next season and Rask's impending contract, they're likely looking at letting Horton and Ference walk, free space with a buyout, and then use the remaining cap space to fill up a backup keeper (or a promotion for Svedberg) and two call-ups from Providence - that leaves them close to the cap with maybe a little wiggle room for potential trades.

No UFA room this year outside of very cheap replacements or a servicable backup goalie. The team you see on the ice right now will be very similar to the one next year, with Boston maybe getting a little younger as Knight, Spooner or someone else gets plugged into the lineup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I still think someone will take Peverley in trade. Bruins could even eat a little of the contract. If they buy him out, he will count for 900K against the cap. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I posted this elsewhere but it bears repeating.

One of the upsides of the kids' play is how it impacts PC's cap manipulations next year. If he let Redden Ference and Johnson walk, he'd still have 7 D with Krug, Bartkowski, Hamilton Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid and Boychuk. That's $18.933 million to the D. He has 11 forwards under contract (not counting Savard) for $37.75 million, with a total committed payroll of 56.683. If Savard goes LTIR that leaves him 7.617 to get his keepers signed and two more forwards.

A buyout to someone like Peverley gives enough space for the holes to be filled with promotions from Providence. Not ideal, but we knew it would be a tight cap year, and the performance of these three young D - and their entry level contracts - gives PC a lot more wiggle room.

Basically due to the Cap restraints next season and Rask's impending contract, they're likely looking at letting Horton and Ference walk, free space with a buyout, and then use the remaining cap space to fill up a backup keeper (or a promotion for Svedberg) and two call-ups from Providence - that leaves them close to the cap with maybe a little wiggle room for potential trades.

No UFA room this year outside of very cheap replacements or a servicable backup goalie. The team you see on the ice right now will be very similar to the one next year, with Boston maybe getting a little younger as Knight, Spooner or someone else gets plugged into the lineup.

Knight and Spooner would make good replacements for Peverley and Kelly. They can't be any worse, but they can develop to be better than the afore- mentioned.

Knight will be a fan favourite - guaranteed. Spooner is very wily. They will need a left winger to complete the third line - hopefully someone with experience, a bit of a scoring touch and takes less money to play for a winner.

If Horton takes a pay cut, I would keep him for $3m max. He has his useful moments.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

You can't leave out Boychuk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

Knight and Spooner would make good replacements for Peverley and Kelly. They can't be any worse, but they can develop to be better than the afore- mentioned.

Knight will be a fan favourite - guaranteed. Spooner is very wily. They will need a left winger to complete the third line - hopefully someone with experience, a bit of a scoring touch and takes less money to play for a winner.

If Horton takes a pay cut, I would keep him for $3m max. He has his useful moments.

Then you're still looking at (if you could get Pev off the books one way or another) between 8.5 and 9 million tied up in Horton and Rask. Leaves around 2.5 to fill out the lineup. If they let Khudobin walk, promote Svedberg, and bring up one of Knight, Caron, Spooner, or Khokhlachev you're at a 22 man roster with approximately half a million to around 700 k to spare, depending on the call up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Then you're still looking at (if you could get Pev off the books one way or another) between 8.5 and 9 million tied up in Horton and Rask. Leaves around 2.5 to fill out the lineup. If they let Khudobin walk, promote Svedberg, and bring up one of Knight, Caron, Spooner, or Khokhlachev you're at a 22 man roster with approximately half a million to around 700 k to spare, depending on the call up.

that left wing will be named soderberg. Move on from kelly and peverley and the team has a ton of cap flexibility 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm already counting Soderberg as one of the 11 under contract. This team will not have anywhere close to a tonne of cap room unless they can trade both Peverley and Kelly. Trade them both and you're looking at filling out four forward roster spots to get to 13 plus signing the two keepers. If you include Savard's LTIR, getting rid of both Kelly and Peverley and you have 16.877. If Rask gets the 6m per some people are expecting, you have 10.877m for five roster spots. Doable, but certainly not what I'd consider a ton of cap flexibility. And that's just for a 22 man roster, not a 26 like Boston carried for much of the year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

that left wing will be named soderberg. Move on from kelly and peverley and the team has a ton of cap flexibility 

I forgot all about Soderberg. Yeah, there is the third line. The line will have quickness, smarts and size.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

It is my belief that Horton will be resigned. Free agency this year is very weak, and the B's don't have anyone else capable of filling a first line winger position. It is also likely that he would take a minimal pay raise, if any.

That leaves about $6.5 million in cap after the removal of Savard's money.

Tuukka will earn between $5-6 million.

That leaves about $1 million in cap.

This is where the trade or buyout of Peverley comes into play. Ideally, you would want to trade him for a draft pick or prospect. That way all of his money comes off the books and you can promote either Knight or Spooner. If they buy him out, it will result in a $1 million cap hit. Not ideal, but still an option.

That leaves us with about $3-4 million in cap room.

Now you can sign a backup goaltender (most likely Khudobin) or recall Svedberg. Both situations would result in about a $1 million cap hit, if that. 

Lastly, a defenseman would need to be added. This would come in the form of Krug or Bartkowski. Adding Krug would leave the B's with less than $1 million in cap room. Not ideal. Adding Bartknowski would leave the B's with a comfortable margin, but they wouldn't be able to keep Krug in Boston, even though he has more than earned a spot there.

This is where another possible trade comes into play (or an add-on to the previous trade). My belief is that McQuaid would be the odd man out in that situation, seeing that it can be argued that both Bartkowski and Krug could both outperform him.

The resulting lineup would look something like this:

Forward:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin

Soderberg-Kelly-Spooner/Knight

Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Defense:

Chara-Hamilton

Seidenberg-Boychuck

Krug-Bartkowski

Goal:

Rask