Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Defense

[quote]have been saying all along Stuart is over-rated. He is a 5 or 6 guy at best. Ditto for Hunwick and Seidenberg is not playing well at all but I do feel he is capable of playing better. Ference is playing ok but again he is a 5 or 6 D on good teams.[/quote]

What are you smoking? Siedes has been playing good but Ferrence is awful. Suks for chara and the first line. Ferrence constantly kills momentum out there when they get set up in the offensive zone and then gets pushed all over the defensive zone and is 50/50 with his break out passes. Hunwick actually played well last night, I remember thinking nice play hunwick a couple of times.

I do agree with the proposition though. Id like to bring in a top2 dman perhaps in some sort of wheeler/ryder/paille and picks type deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

"Chairelli has mostly focussed on upgrading the forward ranks through trades, signings and the draft."

Would you rather Chia overpay for a defenseman making the overall team worse. Puck moving defenseman, such as Wideman or Kaberle, are hard to find in the league and are very expensive. 

Also, the Bs have had one of the lowest goals against averages in the league over the past several years. A lot of it has been Tukka and TT but you have to give the D a lot of credit for blocking pucks, clearing rebounds, and staying at home. They're just not great at breaking the puck out. Some of it has to do with TT not being able to play the puck well at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Hunwick ( nice play ) i remember at leats 5 times saying OMG hes awful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Defense:
    [QUOTE]Hunwick ( nice play ) i remember at leats 5 times saying OMG hes awful.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

True... He is very 50/50 but I dont remember ferrence making any plays that were noticably good last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Defense:
    [QUOTE]This team is going nowhere unless they upgrade the D. They are giving up way too many shots per game because the D can't make quick nor smart decisions with the puck. I have been saying all along Stuart is over-rated. He is a 5 or 6 guy at best. Ditto for Hunwick and Seidenberg is not playing well at all but I do feel he is capable of playing better. Ference is playing ok but again he is a 5 or 6 D on good teams. The others are what they are. Teams have figured out the Bruins weakness and it is the blueline. They chip pucks in and force the D to make plays and they can't. That is how Carolina and Philly beat them in the playoffs. Chairelli has mostly focussed on upgrading the forward ranks through trades, signings and the draft. If he doesn't upgrade the D this team will not go far in the playoffs. Trades are hard to make and when you are trying to cut salary you don't want to bring back salary but they have find a way to get another quality defenseman on this team.
    Posted by Mangler[/QUOTE]
    Stuart overrated?He's one of the leagues most underrated players and the team defence is 3rd in the league(giving up a measly 2 goals a game).If you can't see this then there's no need to discuss anything further.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I don't think that Stuart is overrated either.  I think the Bruins defensmen are actually pretty good compared to top-six pairings around the league.  I'm not a Hunwick fan, but he is just as good a most teams #6 guy.  I don't think the personnel is the problem.

I think the problem is that Julien's "system" looks like it is allowing easy entry into the zone and way too many shots.  For some reason B's defenders are backing off and collapsing into the slot area instead of challenging anyone.  I understand that works sometimes, but opposing forwards can't keep coasting across the blueline with such ease.  Further, the Habs had a guy standing in the crease all night in front of Rask.  More than any other team, they benefit from the protection of the refs and the new rules preventing D-men from hammering guys in the crease.  They play a skill and finesse style and then invite the crease area roughing and crosschecking penalties without retaliation.  I like Julien, but the B's do need to adjust the game plan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Defense:
    [QUOTE]This team is going nowhere unless they upgrade the D. They are giving up way too many shots per game because the D can't make quick nor smart decisions with the puck. I have been saying all along Stuart is over-rated. He is a 5 or 6 guy at best. Ditto for Hunwick and Seidenberg is not playing well at all but I do feel he is capable of playing better. Ference is playing ok but again he is a 5 or 6 D on good teams. The others are what they are. Teams have figured out the Bruins weakness and it is the blueline. They chip pucks in and force the D to make plays and they can't. That is how Carolina and Philly beat them in the playoffs.Chairelli has mostly focussed on upgrading the forward ranks through trades, signings and the draft. If he doesn't upgrade the D this team will not go far in the playoffs. Trades are hard to make and when you are trying to cut salary you don't want to bring back salary but they have find a way to get another quality defenseman on this team.
    Posted by Mangler[/QUOTE]

What ? I thought it was because of "injuries" ...you mean that CJ hasn't adjusted to the aggressive 2 man forecheck yet ? Hey...maybe the B's should try that kind of offensive strategy and  - ah nevermind

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I would like to see them get a legitimate top-4 D-man to deeper the corps.  I am very comfortable with Z, Seidenberg and Boychuk, but would prefer to see Stuart as the #5, with Ference/Hunwick/McQuaid competing for the sixth spot. 

The 5-6 pair is the biggest weakness on this team in my mind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Hunwick plus-six; Ference plus-six; Chara plus-five; Siedenberg plus-five; Boychuk plus-three; McQuaid plus-one; uh oh Stuart minus-one! What a bum!

Team goals against average, per game: 1. St. Louis, Los Angeles 1.93; 3. Boston, 2.0.

Team plus/minus: 1. Philadelphia plus-15; 2. Washington plus-14; 3. Boston plus-11.

Shutouts: 1. St. Louis, 4; 2. Boston 3.

Goal differential: 1. Washington, Philadelphia plus-18, 3. Los Angeles plus-15; 4. Boston, plus-14.

Ye gods, this team defense needs upgrading STAT!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Wideman is +3 with 10 points....Seidenberg is +5 with 6 points.....Looks like Wideman's shoulder surgery last season has finally healed....too bad for us Bruins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://behindthenet.ca/2010/new_5_on_5.php?sort=7&section=goals&mingp=&mintoi=&team=BOS&pos=D

What is On-Ice/Off-Ice +/-?

It's the difference between the team's plus/minus rate when a player is on the ice and when he's off the ice.

Ference has been great! Stuart needs to put in some work.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Pathetic post, duinne.

When the Bruins surrendered 40+ shots against mes Habitants, I thought to myself.

Self -- these Bruins are really lucky that Timmy Thomas was really hot at the beginning of the season because this team would not have won nearly so many games this season without him.

Fact is that the Bruins' D isn't really that hot, but there's no cap space for upgrades so it isn't even worth talking about here, really.

On the plus side, Wideman (2 G - 8 A - 10 pts.) is the leading Bruins defenseman in scoring this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Yes Julien's style has limited GAA for the last few years, coming a long way from team Lewis [yikes]. But, as always, other teams are picking it apart and now know that they can blast down the sides , then take shots, converge on the middle and create havoc in front of the goalies. julien's stack-em defense has some major problems in that turn-overs are coming off shots WHEN and IF  the Bruins corral them. The lack of challenge looks like the Bruins are playing a PK defense all night long. Washington learned and pounded the Bruins in the 3rd game; Pittsburgh followed a similiar game plan as[ stated earlier] their coach explained their control in the first two periods; The league is wising up, and Claude needs to make some changes. The last three games Stuart has bumbled the puck and scored on Timmy.He is strong and usually can skate, but lately he is having problems. I am not a fan of Ference who is too slow, too small, poor outlet passes; and turnovers frequently in the offensive zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mangler. Show Mangler's posts

To all you morons that didn't agree with my post on the D, read KDP's article. He knows it as does the rest of the league. This team's defense is not nearly good enough and they are going nowhere without an upgrade. Unfortunately Chiarelli hasn't left any space so an upgrade will not happen. Stuart is awful. All he does is fire the puck around the boards because that is all the skill he has. Hunwick makes a dozen turnovers a game. Ference is too small and gets knocked off the puck. Even Chara can be used because of his lack of quickness. The Bruins have alot of skilled forwards except for Wheeler. The problem is they don't get the puck because the defense on this team is brutal. I could care less what their plus/minus is when they play teams that have figured out that the weakness on this team is defense they don't win especially when it counts, the playoffs! I can't wait to hear the posts on this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

The problem is that Chara is playing too many minutes per game. Why ?
    Because the Bruins play   in tight games and need him on the ice to keep any game close. We desperately need another top 3 D-man to be able to rotate
     with Chara and Seidenburg .

If Chiarelli can pull off a trade for the 3rd D we so desperately need, the sky is the limit ! We'll be contending for the cup come April.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Claude's "system" is so predictable. Come playoff time, teams will send the agressive 2-man forcheck, as wensink pointed out. Creates a lot of defensive turnovers and they have truble clearing the puck. They need to upgrade the D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Mark Stuart was terrible last night. I'm still thinking he won't last the month. I know some fans think highly of him (for the life of me I don't know why) but I think McQuaid will take his job. Interfered on the first goal with paltry effort to block it and then numerous giveaways all night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

McQuaid has looked good, a few mistakes but he seems to be coming along fine. He's big and tough. Stuart is slipping not liking his play at all lately.

Andy Ferrence shut me up he had a good game last night. Still missing boychuck hurts this defence and highlights lack of offensive depth on the Defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Stuart is great at his role.

Right now, he's trying to play his game and cover for McQuaid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

That could be the reason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Stuart needs to stop helping the other team score!!!!!!!!!  Tipped one in for the Penns and screened TT last night...... As far as covering for McQuaid goes, he needs to worry about his own poor play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

If all it took was Wheeler, Hunwick and a 3rd i'd be all over it. i think it will take much more. Yandle is real talent.

I think the best way to deal with the forecheck is  A) find some better defensemen who can transition more wisely and B) Keep the forwards closer to the defensemen in the D zone and start winning some of those one-on-ones. C) Winning an end zone faceoff would help. They are terrible on faceoffs.

Seguin needs to be on the wing. He's not ready for the center's defensive role. Can't wait for Krejci to come back.

At least we know Chiarelli will do something soon - if only for cap space. I still think part of that will be Stuart's departure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

How about Shea Weber from Nashville for Wheeler, Ryder and Toronto's first round pick ?