Delete

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Delete

In Response to Re: Delete:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delete : I'm all over that!!! WOW she looks great in leather & have to admit Anne Hatheway was no slouch in them either! 
    Posted by NeelyOrrBourque[/QUOTE]
    Oh Btw- i got Scarlette mixed up with kate beckinsale! She's the one that I think is the sexiest woman on the planet right now. Especailly since my wife said that she's so beautiful that she'd do her! Purrrrr!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Not in any particular order:

Casablanca
    The Princess Bride
    Beautiful Girls
    October Sky
    Bull Durham
    Unforgiven
    12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda)
    Midnight Run
    The Hunt For Red October
    Big Night
    Local Hero
    The Millennium Series (original Swedish w/ Noomi Rapace)
    Finding Nemo
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    The Commitments

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

You guys are forgetting some good ones. Official Kelvana List.

1.  The Dark Knight
    2.  61*
    3.  Gladiator
    4.  Dumb & Dumber
    5.  Godfather II
    6.  Jaws
    7.  Rocky
    8.  Godfather
    9.  A Time To Kill
    10. Jaws 2
    11. Scent Of A Woman
    12. Rocky 2
    13. Step Brothers
    14. Miracle
    15. Cindarella Man
    16. Goodfellas
    17. Spiderman
    18. Donnie Brasco
    19. Theres Something About Mary
    20. Old School

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Not in any particular order: Casablanca The Princess Bride Beautiful Girls October Sky Bull Durham Unforgiven 12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda) Midnight Run The Hunt For Red October Big Night Local Hero The Millennium Series (original Swedish w/ Noomi Rapace) Finding Nemo Monty Python and the Holy Grail The Commitments
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Three month pass from random Vancouver hacks from me!

Beautiful Girls is one of my favorites.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've tried a few times to compile my list of favorite movies, but it's just too long.

No matter how hard or long you work on it, you always end up forgetting so many.

Case in point:  I may have missed it, but I don't think Star Wars is on any list here.  Some may dislike it because it's nerdy or not cool, but with this many people, someone must think it's great.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Rather than making a list which is actually pretty redundant since so many of you have listed the ones I like, I'll throw out a few outliers for me.

Never liked Shawshank much and people have always been up in arms over that.  Just didn't get it.  It's sort of a tired premise stolen from The Fugitive (and others) of the falsely accused good guy.  Totally unrealistic characters and dialogue in prison.  A perfectly evil warden for everyone to hate.   And a wonderfully happy, while totally unrealistic, ending.  Huge components of that ending go unexplained (how heck would they both get to a beach in Mexico?).  What happens next?  They just hang out on the beach?  How do they eat?.  Ahh, nevermind, I could go on forever.  Tim Robbins stupid grin during the beer drinking scene drives me nuts too.  Apologies to everyone who loves it.

Maybe ipot can educate me on what I'm missing.

As for movies I love that haven't been listed yet -- one old one, one new one:

The Sting - loved it and could watch forever.  Best soundtrack ever.
    American Beauty - just loved this movie.  Spacey and Benning are fantastic.  Chris Cooper too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I can't remember if Apocolypse Now was mentioned but it is definitely necessary to be mentioned.

And I would say Pulp Fiction's cast is second to none as well:

John Travolta
    Bruce Willis
    Samuel L Jackson
    Uma Thurman
    Ving Rhames
    Christopher Walken
    Quentin Tarantino

Also Sin City:

Mickey Rourke
    Bruce Willis
    Elijah Wood (ok well he's not terrible)
    Jessica Alba
    Clive Owen
    Rosario Dawson
    Benicio Del Toro
    Josh Hartnett
    Brittany Murphy
    Carla Gugino

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]I've tried a few times to compile my list of favorite movies, but it's just too long. No matter how hard or long you work on it, you always end up forgetting so many. Case in point:  I may have missed it, but I don't think Star Wars is on any list here.  Some may dislike it because it's nerdy or not cool, but with this many people, someone must think it's great.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Great thread!

You're right NAS, whether a movie is liked or disliked depends on the viewer and the circumstances surrounding them when viewing...personally I prefere to see all movies in the theatre where they (most) were designed to be seen. Big digital picture with big quality sound, etc.

I remember seeing Star Wars for the first time in the theatre and the opening scene with the ship being chased down by a huge rebel cruiser was so impressive! The vastness of space had rarely been presented that way before then (except 2001: A Space Odyssey - another great film) and the rest of the effects made a lasting impression to this day. The story was pretty much following many Western movies - good guys/bad guys - but it didn't matter.

I was there for the experience in the theatre. Not THAT kind of experience lamda. Sheesh.

For the record, my all time favourite movie (if I had to pick one) was one that no one mentioned here either: Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This was a throw back to the old movie serials where the hero escaped scrape after scrape and it is a movie I can watch over and over...on my big screen at home or on my laptop. (Not THAT kind of laptop lamda!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delete : Three month pass from random Vancouver hacks from me! Beautiful Girls is one of my favorites.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

A truly underappreciated movie.  Strong cast, great characters, snappy dialogue, and a cool relationship between the Willie & Marty, which redeems itself before it gets too creepy. 

Best exchange in the movie: right at the end, when Paul & Marty do the "so you're the..." lines.  Priceless!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Delete:

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delete : Legion - I like your list.  Midnight Run is massively overlooked.  Charles Grodin and DiNiro are brilliant.  Maybe you've seen some of my all-time faves: The Defiant Ones, Oceans 11 ('62 with Sinatra's Rat Pack), The King of Comedy, Trainspotting, High Noon, Cape Fear (both the classic 1962 version with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum and the superb '91 remake with Nick Nolte and Robert DiNiro), Shaun Of The Dead, Sexy Beast, Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels, CB4, La Femme Nikita, The Game, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, V For Vendetta, Fellini's Amarcord, Carlito's Way, the original Death Wish, An American Werewolf In London, Falling Down, Mean Streets, Dogfight, Marked For Death and Jackie Brown.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Hilarious and underrated film.

[/QUOTE] Glad you think so, too, dez.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Delete:

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delete : I will see your Bridge Too Far cast and raise it with Kelly's Heros: Clint Eastwood Donald Sutherland Don Rickles Telly Savalas Carroll O'Connor
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS, that's a close second - Kelly's Heroes is my second favourite WWII film (The Dirty Dozen is number three - Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, George Kennedy)And I missed Sir Laurence Olivier with A bridge Too Far.

[/QUOTE] Is Stalag 17 anywhere in there, red?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I watched Shawshank then watched it again a few years later.

It was watchable, but not any better in the entertainment factor than a CSI rerun.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I forgot about Rudy. Great flick.

Also, I was desperate at RedBox (which sucks) a while ago and took a chance on a movie called Horrible Bosses. Wow was it good, if you havent seen it yet check it out. Very funny.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Delete:

[QUOTE]Rather than making a list which is actually pretty redundant since so many of you have listed the ones I like, I'll throw out a few outliers for me. Never liked Shawshank much and people have always been up in arms over that.  Just didn't get it.  It's sort of a tired premise stolen from The Fugitive (and others) of the falsely accused good guy.  Totally unrealistic characters and dialogue in prison.  A perfectly evil warden for everyone to hate.   And a wonderfully happy, while totally unrealistic, ending.  Huge components of that ending go unexplained (how heck would they both get to a beach in Mexico?).  What happens next?  They just hang out on the beach?  How do they eat?.  Ahh, nevermind, I could go on forever.  Tim Robbins stupid grin during the beer drinking scene drives me nuts too.  Apologies to everyone who loves it. Maybe ipot can educate me on what I'm missing. As for movies I love that haven't been listed yet -- one old one, one new one: The Sting - loved it and could watch forever.  Best soundtrack ever. American Beauty - just loved this movie.  Spacey and Benning are fantastic.  Chris Cooper too. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

You make some good points about Shawshank, fletcher.  And although I agree with you on the idea that the way it's constructed does go against realism, etc., I fall in that category of - whenever it's on I get glued into it.  What I think about Shawshank's appeal has more to do with its messages, themes, and the idea that it  plays more on a mythological level, rather than a realistic one.  It's kind of how we suspend our disbelief at action/adventure films to get to the moral - in this case it's a prison tale.....I dunno.

But, both American Beauty and The Sting are great American movies.

I just watched There Will Be Blood again.  That is a bona fide recent classic, imo.

What's up with all of you?!  No love for Slap Shot?! A complete hoot when I was a kid, and still one of the greatest sports films ever made.  There's more to it than the zany comedy; it hits the right notes as a drama about middle-age and "working class" struggle.  Paul Newman was great in it.

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on Shawshank ipot and I have watched it several times, so it must be entertaining on some level.  

I'm happy to throw away realism and enjoy mythical themes or fantasy in movies, I just find it much easier when the characters, dialogue, and premises of the movie are more grounded in reality, or are at least more relatableand complex.  I think Shawshank suffers from a very simple character development (pure good vs. pure evil) and then mixes in other themes that are kind of the low-hanging fruit of appeal to the viewer (falsely accused heroic main character, the perfect interracial friendship, a wickedly evil authority figure, endlessly humble and kind 'prisoners', and the triumph in the happy ending that whistles past so many basic impracticalities etc.).  To each his own, but I find it annoying when the viewer is guided so overtly towards one possible feeling and outcome.  We love Andy and Red; we hate the warden.

With all of the Paul Newman talk and prison talk, how about some love for Cool Hand Luke?  Now that was a character full of flaws and complexities that was still redeeming.  He's no saint like Andy Duffrane, but you end up rooting for him anyhow.  No happy ending either...I loved it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Delete:

You guys are forgetting some good ones. Official Kelvana List.

1.  The Dark Knight
    2.  61*
    3.  Gladiator
    4.  Dumb & Dumber
    5.  Godfather II
    6.  Jaws
    7.  Rocky
    8.  Godfather
    9.  A Time To Kill
    10. Jaws 2
    11. Scent Of A Woman
    12. Rocky 2
    13. Step Brothers
    14. Miracle
    15. Cindarella Man
    16. Goodfellas
    17. Spiderman
    18. Donnie Brasco
    19. Theres Something About Mary
    20. Old School

Yeah Donnie Brasco I liked also but it's not one of those movies I can never get tired of watching.   Also likes a lot "Bronx Tale " in that genre .
    Cinderella Man is another good one. 
    Dumber and Dumber was good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Delete:

I've tried a few times to compile my list of favorite movies, but it's just too long.

No matter how hard or long you work on it, you always end up forgetting so many.

Case in point:  I may have missed it, but I don't think Star Wars is on any list here.  Some may dislike it because it's nerdy or not cool, but with this many people, someone must think it's great.

Star Wars is amazing , for certain once I start watching , no matter the time , I can't un-clue myself from the set.

You really made me laugh with the line " Serano's got the discs"   Also love the lines directs at Sydney.....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Let me add these to our compilation:

1. Copland (solid cast led by Stallone, DiNiro, Liotta, Harvey Keitel and Robert Patrick)
    2. The Krays (British gangster brothers of the 60s)
    3. Christine
    4. The Ladykillers
    5. Bulworth
    6. A Perfect World (Eastwood and Costner)
    7. Hot Fuzz
    8. Heat
    9. Walking Tall with Joe Don Baker
    10. The Talented Mr. Ripley
    11. The 25th Hour
    12. Get Carter
    13. Taken
    14. A Perfect Murder
    15. King Creole

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Delete:

OK, my all time favourite film, and the best cast of all-time...

A Bridge Too Far

Canadian much?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

After further reflection, additions to my list:

Gran Torino
    Gosford Park
    The Empire Strikes Back (my fave of the Star Wars series)
    The Departed
    A Time To Kill
    Dr. Strangelove
    Jaws
    Back to the Future
    Pulp Fiction
    The Bourne Identity (the others are also good)
    Alien & Aliens
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi
    Fargo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I am also surprised no one has mentioned any of the James Bond movies...23rd coming out soon!

Daniel Craig has certainly done the character justice.

Favourite Bonds (in order):

1. Sean Connery
    2. Daniel Craig
    3. Roger Moore
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. Timothy Dalton
    6. David Niven
    7. George Lazenby

(did I miss anyone?)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not a big "feeeelm" guy.  To ipot's point, I like what I like though I also understand that doesn't always have much to do with something being good in any objective sense.  Nonetheless, I'll defend the following as a "selected favorites".  I just haven't thought enough about it to pick from the litter.

Unforgiven ("I don't deserve this." "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.")
    The Outlaw Josey Wales ("Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy.")
    Dirty Harry (*see a pattern*)
    Aliens
    Hannibal (such a beautiful film to look at contrasted with such grisly content - and making a guy eat his own brain for having a lack of manners?  Brilliant!)
    Silence of the Lambs
    Strange Brew (Hamlet for Canada.)
    Repo Man (Emilio Estevez's best work, and the first to rip off the glowing briefcase)
    Clerks
    Hoop Dreams
    When We Were Kings
    Mr. Death
    Tie - The Matrix and Master Killer (basically the same movie, except one is an old kung fu film with the standard whupping/Shaolin training/revenge plot)
    Rear Window
    Cape Fear (Mitchum over DeNiro)
    Raging Bull
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Cool Hand Luke (kudos to whoever flagged this earlier - love this film)
    South Park (though I actually like the episode based on Titus Andronicus where Cartman makes the bully eat his own parents better, partly because, later that season, he threatens Terence and Phillip with the line 'Do it or I'll make you eat your parents."  And Stan adds "He'll do it, dude!"