Delete

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Delete

Mystic River .... The Departed  (Dirty Water favs)
    The Searchers....The Good the Bad and the Ugly....Unforgiven  (me best westerns)
    Rebel without a Cause......The Swimmer (rejection movies)
    Kill Bill Vol. I and II.....Fight Club....Pulp Fiction  (modern)
    Snattch.....Shawshank Redemption.... Cool Hand Luke (young people's favorites)
    Gangs of NY....There will be Blood (Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs....knife on the eye...impressive)
    Forest Gump...Oh Brother where art thou? (funny with a story)
    Hangover.....Office Space (plan funny, where is my stapler?)
    Inception (mind bender).......A beautiful mind
    No Country for old Men.... ( a modern Unforgiven)
    Some like it Hot.....It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World (Johnathan Winter's!)  old comedy
    Iron Man....Sin City (comicbook)
    The Thin Red Line....Saving Private Ryan....A brige too far....Bridge over the River Kwai
    The Shinning.....Alien (top scary)
    The Last Emperor.....Last of the Mohicans (panoramic)
    Lost in Translation (Scarlet!).....ha CaddyShack (Bill Murray without stripes)
    Slapshot....Miracle
    Gladiator......Platoon.....Generation Kill.....Restrepo
    Gettysburg (Turner production).....yes the Patriot

Brain is on overload....

Please let there be Hockey SOON!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I can't believe I left out Young Guns. One of my all-time favorites.

On another note heres some I've never seen.

1. Indiana Jones- all of them
    2. Matrix - all of them
    3. The Natural
    4. Dumb and Dumberer ( I refuse to tarnish the original)

Worst Movies I've seen.

1. When a Stranger calls (remake)
    2. Natural Born Killers  (actually walked out of the theatre)
    3. Anything Adam Sandler has done not named Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Isla mentioned Generation Kill.  For those who haven't seen it, it's an incredible story.

Oh, and speaking of mini-series, how about Band of Brothers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I hate to invoke the big whining baby from up north here, but by now somebody should have mentioned The Shining (if they didn't).  A classic performance, for which the image is being misused on these boards by the 'sour grapes fairy'.

More recently, The Town is a terrific movie, and I'm not just patronizing the locals. 

Not a lot of comedies listed (besides Dumb and Dumber), but I love the Christopher Guest movies, with Spinal Tap and Best in Show being at the top of the list.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Delete:

Isla mentioned Generation Kill.  For those who haven't seen it, it's an incredible story.

Oh, and speaking of mini-series, how about Band of Brothers?

Yeah Nas, that's another great series written by Ed Burns who, along with David Simon, wrote much of "The Wire". You might also enjoy "Treme", another series created by Simon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Cool Hand Luke (kudos to whoever flagged this earlier - love this film)"

Still my favorite film and who wouldn't want to tear off the heads of parking meters like Luke and look like the man Paul Newman! Salad dressing isn't bad either lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342275/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359203/

Too many to list so i'll show you my taste. If you haven't seen these two documentries please do yourself a favor rent them or buy them. They are about how the independent filmakers of the 70s saved Hollywood and kicked the D00 D00 out of the studios. It shaped the way I watched moves growing up and gave more me appreciation of how films are produced outside the studio model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-5kIMOPaA

PS. ^Why the dawg could never be allowed to own his own bar^ lol Long live Independent and foreign films!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Too many to list so i'll show you my taste. If you haven't seen these two documentries please do yourself a favor rent them or buy them. They are about how the independent filmakers of the 70s saved Hollywood and kicked the D00 D00 out of the studios. It shaped the way I watched moves growing up and gave more me appreciation of how films are produced outside the studio model.

PS. ^Why the dawg could never be allowed to own his own bar^ lol Long live Independent and foreign films!

[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting.  If you're into documentaries you might like Ken Burns' "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And Fall Of Jack Johnson" who IMO is the OG.  Plus Spike Lee's "When The Levees Broke," the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the role American government played in the care or lackthereof of the folks in New Orleans. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah Nas, that's another great series written by Ed Burns who, along with David Simon, wrote much of "The Wire". You might also enjoy "Treme", another series created by Simon.

[/QUOTE]

I tried Treme.  It just didn't cut it for me.  I couldn't connect to the characters.  The Wire was pretty good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Sounds interesting.  If you're into documentaries you might like Ken Burns' "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And Fall Of Jack Johnson" who IMO is the OG. [/QUOTE]

Great White Hope with James Earl Jones and Cambridge's own Jane Alexander is a great move! I like sports documentries but the one ESPN Classic did on Jack Johnson was only so, so. I'll have to check it out your reccomendation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Speaking of Daniel Day Lewis (very underrated actor) , how about "The Last of the Mohicans " !
    The last 20mins , after the waterfall scene , the miusic is amazing ! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Sounds interesting.  If you're into documentaries you might like Ken Burns' "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And Fall Of Jack Johnson" who IMO is the OG.

Great White Hope with James Earl Jones and Cambridge's own Jane Alexander is a great move! I like sports documentries but the one ESPN Classic did on Jack Johnson was only so, so. I'll have to check it out your reccomendation.

[/QUOTE]

Dawg - You won't be disappointed in Ken Burns' film.  His work is exhaustive as his films on jazz and baseball will attest.  Unforgivable Blackness is awesome.  I've even shown bits to students over the years to show them how strong the human spirit can be.  Jack Johnson was a bad azz, man. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Basically anything adapted from an Elmore Leonard novel is good. Most recent is the show Raylan but the movies range anywhere from Jackie Brown to Stick (starring Burt Reynolds) to 4:10 to Yuma (so good they made it twice) to Get Shorty and Out Of Sight. I could go on as he's had 41 of his works make it to the screen. I would guess he's probably the hippest 87 year old on the planet. I can't get enough of his work.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Basically anything adapted from an Elmore Leonard novel is good. Most recent is the show Raylan but the movies range anywhere from Jackie Brown to Stick (starring Burt Reynolds) to 4:10 to Yuma (so good they made it twice) to Get Shorty and Out Of Sight. I could go on as he's had 41 of his works make it to the screen. I would guess he's probably the hippest 87 year old on the planet. I can't get enough of his work.

...not trying to nit-pick here Dez, but if you show up at 4:10 for the train to Yuma, you'll miss it!

It was 3:10 to Yuma...and FWIW I thought the remake was awsome...didn't see the first to compare though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Nitpicking is fine Dave. Editing a post, well that's a different story.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Cool Hand Luke (kudos to whoever flagged this earlier - love this film)"

Still my favorite film and who wouldn't want to tear off the heads of parking meters like Luke and look like the man Paul Newman! Salad dressing isn't bad either lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342275/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359203/

"A Decade Under THe Influence" and "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" I assume?  Those were fantastic.  I taught a class on American Cinema of the 70s and showed them both to help students get it.  I'm with you on that SanDog.  For me, it was the Golden Age of American moviemaking.  (Actually the foundations were laid in the late 60s with "Bonnie and Clyde", "The Wild Bunch," and "Easy Rider."  Then, in the 70s studio execs were willing to take risks.  A movie like "Taxi Driver" or even, yep, "Cool Hand Luke" (late 60s) would never be financed by a major studio. 

One of the great films of that era: "Network."  You watch it today and hard to believe it was made over 37 years ago.

RHO - I was an intern for Ken Burns right out of college! Worked on his 'Civil War" series....ouch I'm old.  He was an intensly focused guy, no messing around on his watch. Thre was a whole crew of us just sifting months on end for archival stuff.  One of the great work experiences I've ever had/

[/QUOTE]
    ipotnyc - Nice one!  You learned at the feet of a master filmaker/documentarian.  That must have been an incredible time for you.  The level of details and exhaustive information in his work is crazy.  You know that firsthand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

For who are interested I taught history in the town Ken Burn's lives today.  He just built a new studio/whatever on his property.  I drive by often.  I have several books signed by him.  He lives in a modest home, he is not pretentious, but agree intense.  I like the scene in "Gettysburg" where he did his acting cameo.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

For who are interested I taught history in the town Ken Burn's lives today.  He just built a new studio/whatever on his property.  I drive by often.  I have several books signed by him.  He lives in a modest home, he is not pretentious, but agree intense.  I like the scene in "Gettysburg" where he did his acting cameo.  

I haven't seen Gettysburg but if it's anything of the quality of his other works it has to be excellent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:[QUOTE] "A Decade Under THe Influence" and "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" I assume?  Those were fantastic.  I taught a class on American Cinema of the 70s and showed them both to help students get it.  I'm with you on that SanDog. 

One of the great films of that era: "Network."  You watch it today and hard to believe it was made over 37 years ago. [/QUOTE]

Yes those are the documentries and well worth the watch. Funny thing about network, other than soaking wet Peter Finch fling his arms out a window in dispair, isI  didn't fully understand the move until I understood politics and how networks influence voters in the states.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm also a big fan of The Killing, from 1956 by Stanley Kubrick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm also a big fan of The Killing, from 1956 by Stanley Kubrick.

You would like Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278736/ . If you haven't seen it Dez. Great tour of his English home where he kept allot of notes from his movies...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thanks San. I will be sure to check that out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

RHO, the old Turner production of Gettysburg is nothing but a classic.  If you are interested I will attempt to find the minute sequence where Burns makes his cameo.  Up on Cemetery Ridge.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts