Dennis Wideman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlprentiss. Show rlprentiss's posts

Dennis Wideman

Gets a Hatty has hell frozen over

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

Re: Dennis Wideman

Sometimes the sun even shines on a dog's a**.

No question the guy has great offensive skill, but he is still -6 on the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman:
    Sometimes the sun even shines on a dog's a**. No question the guy has great offensive skill, but he is still -6 on the season.
    Posted by stanjonathan17

he is what he is. bad in his own end  great on the pp. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : he is what he is. bad in his own end  great on the pp. 
    Posted by shuperman

shupe - He also went down in a collision in his end and barely missed getting a skate blade across his cheek.  It gave him a close shave instead.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Didn't see his 3rd goal, but his first two were really nice shots. Granted they were aided by screens, but I don't think Reimer would have had the 1st one even if there wasn't one.
    We always knew he had a rocket of a shot, but the reason he didn't do this often is his "Wide-of-the-net-man" nickname that some of us gave him. When he got it on net, it was lethal. I'd like to see him at the skills competition to see what his slap shot hits; I'd be willing to bet he reaches 100.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Poor guy. Him and Marco Sturm have been on, what five or six teams each since leaving Boston? Alright. Not poor guy. Frustrating guy who ultimately forced Chiarelli to deal Colbourne for Montreal's newest pylon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : he is what he is. bad in his own end  great on the pp. 
    Posted by shuperman

and what he is - is one of the guys in the league I vote most likely to kill a game for you.  Not lose the game, but somehow do that thing that demoralizes a team and leads it to a loss.

Just like you have a team leader, who will march you to a victory even tho he doesn't score or assist, Wideman, even tho not directly responsible for the loss, will lead his team to defeat.

Bruins with Wideman a couple of years ago?  And without?
    Panthers without Wideman this year?
    Caps with Wideman this year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : and what he is - is one of the guys in the league I vote most likely to kill a game for you.  Not lose the game, but somehow do that thing that demoralizes a team and leads it to a loss. Just like you have a team leader, who will march you to a victory even tho he doesn't score or assist, Wideman, even tho not directly responsible for the loss, will lead his team to defeat. Bruins with Wideman a couple of years ago?  And without? Panthers without Wideman this year? Caps with Wideman this year?
    Posted by BadHabitude

Yeah sure, he's just another Souray right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : shupe - He also went down in a collision in his end and barely missed getting a skate blade across his cheek.  It gave him a close shave instead.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

I saw that as well....freaking lucky...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : I saw that as well....freaking lucky...
    Posted by shuperman

Not only had horseshoes up there but the whole horse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : I saw that as well....freaking lucky...
    Posted by shuperman

Shupe, did you happen to see the Sens-Caps game this week? Poor Wideman was looking great until he made the highlight of the night after being schooled by Foligno. He still makes the 1st pass as well as anyone in the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWipjiaYqyg

Watching the highlights of Wideman's rocket reminded me of his laser beam that Miller heard hissing by his right toe. No doubt the man has talent but he's always a "it's electric" blueline dance away from another not so nice highlight reel. Guess you have to take the good with the bad in a head case ala Manny Ramirez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : Yeah sure, he's just another Souray right?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Two entirely different players and 2 entirely different situations.

I thought Souray would never regain his offensive touch, and yes, I was wrong.

About Wideman, most revealing when you are at the game.  When he commits one of those interceptions you can just feel the air leave the building.

No, most times his mistakes don't directly contribute to the loss, like a pass thru the crease that turns into a goal, but he manages to time it perfectly to kill momentum.

I can't explain why, but it's not as evident on tv.  Or maybe I can, after one of his turnovers, it seems like everyone starts to slump a little on the bunch and the camera doesn't usually watch the bench.

Another guy who can kill your team is Komiserak.  With him, it's not a turnover, but he always gets the stupid penalty at just the right time to kill your team.  They might not get a goal against you on that pp, but it just absorbs that much energy out of the team.

The knack for the turnover at just the right moment is what Wideman has somehow done perfectly from day 1.

Or on the pp, he's generally good, but when he makes a mistake it seems to kill everything, like having the puck pop over your stick and out of the zone.

Or maybe he's just plain unlucky, when when he ran into the ref and the other guys scored.  Remember that? 

Dez, if you don't acknowledge this, either you're being belligerent or just busting my balls or both.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Dennis Wideman : Two entirely different players and 2 entirely different situations. I thought Souray would never regain his offensive touch, and yes, I was wrong. About Wideman, most revealing when you are at the game.  When he commits one of those interceptions you can just feel the air leave the building. No, most times his mistakes don't directly contribute to the loss, like a pass thru the crease that turns into a goal, but he manages to time it perfectly to kill momentum. I can't explain why, but it's not as evident on tv.  Or maybe I can, after one of his turnovers, it seems like everyone starts to slump a little on the bunch and the camera doesn't usually watch the bench. Another guy who can kill your team is Komiserak.  With him, it's not a turnover, but he always gets the stupid penalty at just the right time to kill your team.  They might not get a goal against you on that pp, but it just absorbs that much energy out of the team. The knack for the turnover at just the right moment is what Wideman has somehow done perfectly from day 1. Or on the pp, he's generally good, but when he makes a mistake it seems to kill everything, like having the puck pop over your stick and out of the zone. Or maybe he's just plain unlucky, when when he ran into the ref and the other guys scored.  Remember that?  Dez, if you don't acknowledge this, either you're being belligerent or just busting my balls or both.
    Posted by BadHabitude

I'd say both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't know, I remember Wideman being one of the better D-men in the league a few years ago, before he started coughing the puck up with regularity in his final B's season. He was turning himself into a quality player, and then lost his confidence. Maybe he has it back with Caps. Bottom line is that he neither deserves the over-criticism by B's fans here, and he does quarterback the PP as well as anyone in the league. He has a terrible time skating backward and that is his biggest weakness--defensive skills in the defensive zone. Offensively? Hell of a lot better than Joe Corvo, who is still good, but is shooting wide left, wide right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I don't know, I remember Wideman being one of the better D-men in the league a few years ago, before he started coughing the puck up with regularity in his final B's season. He was turning himself into a quality player, and then lost his confidence. Maybe he has it back with Caps. Bottom line is that he neither deserves the over-criticism by B's fans here, and he does quarterback the PP as well as anyone in the league. He has a terrible time skating backward and that is his biggest weakness--defensive skills in the defensive zone. Offensively? Hell of a lot better than Joe Corvo, who is still good, but is shooting wide left, wide right.
    Posted by dannycater

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by dannycater

What do you mean?  He always coughed the puck up.  He was much worse at it when he came to the Bruins, much worse.  You don't remember his style being described as "a riverboat gambler"?  He made way too many risky passes. 

And then CJ "cured" him of that, he got benched. 

I mean this was in the papers, CJ was quoted, not my speculation.

And he got better on limiting the turnovers after that.

However, forever after that, the turnovers had a knack for perfect timing to help the other guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BadH, there was literally Norris talk him about prior to his final season. I often felt he was the team's best D-man that season when Chara was getting all the praise for his greatness at that point. Sure, he is legendary at coughing the puck up, but he also produced a lot on offense and there was a stretch where he bought into Julien's coaching. Again, he got better with B's, then regressed in his horrible final season with them. He became the wrath of B's fans, the blame for the team's demise. Fine use him as a whipping boy. But please, don't come on here and pretend the guy was not terrific for almost an entire season for B's and really was the only player on the team who could carry the puck out of the zone. I have always like Wideman, and there are times I wish he was on the current B's because he's a heck of a PP presence.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

IMO, but the evidence is very strong that Wideman is one of those guys who doesn't have his head and ash wired together.

This clip is infamous, and I don't want to hold it up as proof of a terrible player or something, so don't think I'm trying to say that.

Look beyond the glaring and dramatic toe pick and then ask yourself what he was thinking.

And I can't mind read, but I would bet anything there was confusion running through his mind when he did this, something like
    "I'm going to do this move, no wait, no this, no wait, this, no... " and then disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdX_A2iLuM

It's not about the confidence that is typical with most players, about being sure of yourself and doing what you set out to do and following through, it's about his head and how he's wired.

Do you play?

Watch the clip, watch what he does, and explain what was going on in his head.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How young was he when that clip took place? Have you watched shootouts? How many times do you see the best forwards in hockey, including Bergeron not even get a shot off? I see it all the time. Even superb players who deke themselves out in trying outdeke the goalie. The clip proves only that you enjoy using Wideman as a whipping boy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

BadH, there was literally Norris talk him about prior to his final season. I often felt he was the team's best D-man that season when Chara was getting all the praise for his greatness at that point. Sure, he is legendary at coughing the puck up,

Again, it's not the size and shape of the turnovers, but the timing of them.  I think he can't handle the pressure.  The turnovers in and of themselves weren't terrible, I think the turnovers were exaggerated to a degree, but again his timing is impeccable, that's the problem.

but he also produced a lot on offense and there was a stretch where he bought into Julien's coaching.

100% dead on.

Again, he got better with B's, then regressed in his horrible final season with them.

I disagree, I don't think he 'regressed'.

He became the wrath of B's fans, the blame for the team's demise.

True, and it was unfair.

Fine use him as a whipping boy.

It is coming across that way, but no, not a whipping boy as such.

But please, don't come on here and pretend the guy was not terrific for almost an entire season for B's and really was the only player on the team who could carry the puck out of the zone.

And that's true, too.  But he can't take it to the next level at the right time.

I have always like Wideman, and there are times I wish he was on the current B's because he's a heck of a PP presence.

And yes, the stats will bear out that he's a presence on offense and the pp in particular, certainly better than Corvo. 

Posted by dannycater

He has skills no question.  He doesn't have his head on totally straight in game situations, he isn't a Kessel head case by any means, but he can't be relied upon.  He gets confused and makes some bad choices.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

How young was he when that clip took place? Have you watched shootouts? How many times do you see the best forwards in hockey, including Bergeron not even get a shot off? I see it all the time. Even superb players who deke themselves out in trying outdeke the goalie. The clip proves only that you enjoy using Wideman as a whipping boy.
    Posted by dannycater

He's probably sitting in front of the keyboard wearing a leather mask.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by dannycater

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

But no, my intent is not to make him into my whipping boy, but as an example - a dramatic one, yes - of what I think is his basic problem.  The mental confusion, that bit of ADD or whatever he's got where he loses focus.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

BadH, there was literally Norris talk him about prior to his final season. I often felt he was the team's best D-man that season when Chara was getting all the praise for his greatness at that point. Sure, he is legendary at coughing the puck up, but he also produced a lot on offense and there was a stretch where he bought into Julien's coaching. Again, he got better with B's, then regressed in his horrible final season with them. He became the wrath of B's fans, the blame for the team's demise. Fine use him as a whipping boy. But please, don't come on here and pretend the guy was not terrific for almost an entire season for B's and really was the only player on the team who could carry the puck out of the zone. I have always like Wideman, and there are times I wish he was on the current B's because he's a heck of a PP presence.
    Posted by dannycater

Spot on.  I think you read my mind and put it to paper.  Which is scarey considering my mind.
    Wideman does make mental mistakes in his own end for sure but I thought he was a perfect compliment for Chara.  And there is no denying our PP has not been the same.  Not even close.  And the 09-10 season which many feel was so bad produced 30 pts and more important 12 pts in 13 playoff games. 
    I would take him over corvo in a minute

Sections
Shortcuts