Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

So D-camp has started and it's always interesting to see the young guys and speculate for the future. For anyone who is there, keep the observations coming.

But unless I'm missing something, there really doesn't seem to be much room for someone to crack the lineup like Seguin, Marchand, McQuaid and Kampfer did  last year. Help me out with this and make corrections:

Depth Chart
    From 2010-2011 season, returning and new players

C: Krejci (1), Bergeron (2), Kelly (3), Campbell (4)
    RW: Horton (1), Peverly (2), Seguin (3), Paille (4)
    LW: Lucic (1), Marchand (2), Pouliot (3), Thornton (4)

TBD: Savard

D: Chara (1), Seidenberg (2), Ference (3), Boychuck (4), Corvo (5), McQuaid (6), Kampfer (7)

So what are we likely looking at? The only slots to me that look vulnerable(injuries aside) would be Paille and Pouliot.

Subject to change based on chemistry/fit/improvements (Peverly, Pouliot and Seguin could interchange in various ways, for example), but the players are fairly established as:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Peverly
    Pouliot-Kelly-Seguin
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

And going for balanced defence, for the regular season at least:

Chara-Corvo/Kampfer
    Seidenberg-Boychuck
    Ference-McQuaid

Someone convince me that these aren't the guys who open the season with the Bruins, injuries aside. I suppose if Marchand doesn't extend, but that seems unlikely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

Thornton could still be the odd man out.  The good part is the young guys are going to have to really show they are ready. If they do they are a sure upgrade from those mentioned as vulnerable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

I just don't see how Spooner or Sauve could fill a 4th line role so for now I'd say Thornton is safe. The only other forward spot I could see being possibly up for grabs is maybe Kelly's moving down to the 4th line if Ryan and Max blow doors but that would undermine Julien's love for his vets so most likely not going to happen. Caron did not impress when he went back down to Providence but obviously Claude likes Jordan so he gets another shot.

Kampfer I agree starts as 7th dman I don't foresee anyone making a run although I wouldn't mind seeing Cross throw a wrench into some plans by having a great camp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Knight looks like he'll make a push for a roster spot.  He looked awsome yesterday.  Spooner still needs the gym but he looked good too.

Hamilton's gonna be a Chara with puck skills.  What a talent that kid is.  I really liked what I saw from him yesterday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Thanks for the update.  It is nice to hear that Hamilton looks good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

knight looks very good, Caron as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Haven't heard or read very much, but I would be suprised if Thornton is not in Providence after training camp. One theme that seems to keep returning is breaking up Chara and Seidenberg. My question is WHY ??? Every solid team like Detroit makes it a habit to keep defense pairings that work well together. I recognize that the emphasis is on sharing the skills, but that is the wrong solution. The emphasis should be on establishing 3 set defensive pairings. Ference and McQuaid work well together, so, will it be Corvo/Boychuck? or Corvo/Kamfer? or do the Bruins finally ship Boychuck off due to his frequent mistakes/ poor coverage?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table:
    [QUOTE]Haven't heard or read very much, but I would be suprised if Thornton is not in Providence after training camp. One theme that seems to keep returning is breaking up Chara and Seidenberg. My question is WHY ??? Every solid team like Detroit makes it a habit to keep defense pairings that work well together. I recognize that the emphasis is on sharing the skills, but that is the wrong solution. The emphasis should be on establishing 3 set defensive pairings. Ference and McQuaid work well together, so, will it be Corvo/Boychuck? or Corvo/Kamfer? or do the Bruins finally ship Boychuck off due to his frequent mistakes/ poor coverage?
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

My 2 cents, for what it's worth, is that it's better to split them up during long stretches of the regular season to manage ice time and create balance. It's a loooooooong way to the playoffs, and reg season is more about rolling the lines. A lot of old-timers would rank the D 1-6 and pair them up 1/6, 2/5 and 3/4.

As for playoffs, you are 100% correct. Go with what worked.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Bridge year to the farm.  Lots of UFA's after next season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I don't think Thornton's going anywhere.  They will need his leadership even more now that Recchi's gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I would say it's almost unthinkable that Thornton (barring a trade/injury) would not be a fixture on the 4th line - along with Campbell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Cross is going back to BC, so he won't be in any mix for a pro spot this year. 

After every expert gushed about Thornton during the Stanley Cup I can't see any scenario where he is replaced in the regular season.  I think that even his critics here would agree that Thornton has greater value during the regular season than in the playoffs.  I don't think he's going anywhere. 

I do think that Pouliot should have to earn his spot.  I'm not saying he won't, but I hope that the $1 million we threw at him doesn't preclude an honest competition with Caron, Sauve, etc.

I bet we have an injury before we get out of September that opens the door for someone else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Seem to be plenty of options young and old in the bottom 6 forwards, but the lack of a true #2 RW still concerns me moving forward. The Bs need at least 20 goals out of that position, and I just don't see how that will happen with the current roster and set of prospects.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table:[QUOTE]Cross is going back to BC, so he won't be in any mix for a pro spot this year.  Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

" But now, almost 22, Cross is healthy and strong, headed back for his senior year at www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&topic=Boston+College&mode=score&sorting=pubdate">Boston College, where he will captain the Eagles."

Damn Herald...but great for Jerry York not good for the RedHawks LoL!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Eric Robinson from Foxborough breaks camp with the big boys. Book it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table : " But now, almost 22, Cross is healthy and strong, headed back for his senior year at www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&topic=Boston+College&mode=score&sorting=pubdate " /> Boston College , where he will captain the Eagles." Damn Herald...but great for Jerry York not good for the RedHawks LoL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I know!  It seems like they play eachother every year in the NCAA's too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

here is what i see/hope too
    lucic krej horton = crash and score
    march bergy pev = speed and score
    kelly segs caron = kel toughness digging f/check segs skill caron bang and grit
    paille camby thornton

bubble  pouilo knight sauve arniel i think these lines have good balance will it work ????

def reg season

chara boychuck
    sieds corvo
    ference boychuck
    mcquad/kampfer

thomas/rask

LOOKS PRETTY DAMGOOD!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

We have cap room, Thornton would not be in Providence regardless, he would still be a locker room guy, practice guy, in and out of the roster if that was the case..

Players will have a shot to make the team.. I think Caron and kampfer should make the team, there will be guys in and out.. and a couple other guys might push for spots.. but theres not a heap of guys in providence who are ready to make the jump, if that was actually the case why werent they better last year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Eric Robinson from Foxborough breaks camp with the big boys. Book it.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Right.  Care to provide some insight?  You know, since nobody has ever seen him play and he was a last minute dev. camp invitee.  Before I book it, I would at least like to know why?

Please don't tell me it's because you went to high school with him or something...or if the whole post is just sarcastic, I apologize. 

Is it the same kid that was a freshmen at Dartmouth last season?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Well, all the pros are in attendance and claiming sainthood for Thornton. Yes he is a rah rah Bruin, and good in the locker room. That doesn't translate to a skilled hockey player, never has. The Bruins cannot afford to carry Thornton if they are to continue to transform themselves into a 4 line scoring/shutdown skating team. Thornton's weaknesses are puck control, skating, defensive zone coverage [ worse than Boychuck], and passing or shooting consistently. He will be outclassed at Training camp, and at age 33 does not seem to have the capability to change.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Well, all the pros are in attendance and claiming sainthood for Thornton. Yes he is a rah rah Bruin, and good in the locker room. That doesn't translate to a skilled hockey player, never has. The Bruins cannot afford to carry Thornton if they are to continue to transform themselves into a 4 line scoring/shutdown skating team. Thornton's weaknesses are puck control, skating, defensive zone coverage [ worse than Boychuck], and passing or shooting consistently. He will be outclassed at Training camp, and at age 33 does not seem to have the capability to change.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Yes^. 
    It's going to happen eventually, if someboy pushes him out the door....bye-bye. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table : Yes^.  It's going to happen eventually, if someboy pushes him out the door....bye-bye. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

True it will happen one day, but do we want a rookie playing 5 minutes with the big club, or 20 down in Providence?  Thornton gets one more year IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table : True it will happen one day, but do we want a rookie playing 5 minutes with the big club, or 20 down in Providence?  Thornton gets one more year IMO.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Two things.  One it may not be a rookie playing 4th line.  There are plenty of 4th line candidates on the current roster. Paillie, Kelley, Campbell, would make a nice 4th.  Second, there is no need to limit anybody's minutes to 5 during the regular season.  Role 'em all. 
    I'm basing all this on somebody stepping up and not allowing them to send them down.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]Knight looks like he'll make a push for a roster spot.  He looked awsome yesterday.  Spooner still needs the gym but he looked good too. Hamilton's gonna be a Chara with puck skills.  What a talent that kid is.  I really liked what I saw from him yesterday.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

bim- I apologize if I have this wrong, but haven't you been critical of the Knight pick?  You seeing something different from him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

bogie, are you alright!  Hanging out with Marchant as of late?  If Thornton was a FA every team in the league would be after him. He has experience winning 2 cups, is paid under 1  million a year, put in 10 goals, defends his teamates at every turn and will be assistant captain to start the year..  You have to be kidding me?

Sections
Shortcuts