Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table:
    In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table : Two things.  One it may not be a rookie playing 4th line.  There are plenty of 4th line candidates on the current roster. Paillie, Kelley, Campbell, would make a nice 4th.  Second, there is no need to limit anybody's minutes to 5 during the regular season.  Role 'em all.  I'm basing all this on somebody stepping up and not allowing them to send them down.
    Posted by scooter244

I agree with everything you say but Thornton brings intangibles that the team needs (especially with Recchi gone), and no one else can bring.  I just don't think it's time to move him yet.  He probably will get some time in a suit though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table

In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table:
    In Response to Re: Development Camp: It's Thanksgiving and there's no room at the grown-up table : bim- I apologize if I have this wrong, but haven't you been critical of the Knight pick?  You seeing something different from him?
    Posted by Crowls2424

Yep.  He's developing.  He looks stronger this year.  And I think he's worked on his skating stride a bit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Thanks for the response, sounds very encouraging.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Well, all the pros are in attendance and claiming sainthood for Thornton. Yes he is a rah rah Bruin, and good in the locker room. That doesn't translate to a skilled hockey player, never has. The Bruins cannot afford to carry Thornton if they are to continue to transform themselves into a 4 line scoring/shutdown skating team. Thornton's weaknesses are puck control, skating, defensive zone coverage [ worse than Boychuck], and passing or shooting consistently. He will be outclassed at Training camp, and at age 33 does not seem to have the capability to change.
    Posted by bogie6

I dont agree with your assessment on thornton, but that aside your dead wrong, the bruins absolutely can afford to carry him on the roster as a healthy scratch if a young guy is playing in front of him.. The team sits near 10? million under the cap..

And again thornton being a good locker room guy is more then you seem to think.. the guy is a professional and will lead by example scratch him 20 straight games and he will still come in practice hard, and be ready to go when he gets his shot, a lot of the young guys can learn from that..

There is 0 chance he ends up in providence, the team would trade him before demoting him, his AHL days are gone..

Sections
Shortcuts