Devils Hacked? Or Kovy Whack?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Devils Hacked? Or Kovy Whack?

Guessing Lou Lam is hoping that Zajac wants retire as well.  Ready to start Year 1 of an 8-year/ $46M deal ($5.75M Cap Hit).  He had 2 more points than Peverley last year.

How do you say "join me in the homeland, Travis" in Russian anyway?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

TSN link is updated.  He wants to be in Russia with his family.  How do you say family, friends and faith in Russian?

nite for the win - apparently it does go back to his time there during the lockout.  Dude is leaving a bucket of cash on the table (no tag sale needed), and credit Lou for letting him go, b/c I think he will re-surface in the KHL.

Are you not entertained?!?!

THE FAN 590's last update claims reports of his KHL signing tomorrow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He should be banned from ever stepping foot in the nhl.  To think they may have been able to keep parise.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Wow.....I wonder what Mr Donald Cherry is going to say about this???  Ya know how much he loves the Russian players!!!  Hahahahahahaha

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"It's sad," said Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates, who spent two years as an assistant with the Devils. "It's sad for our league. That's one of our good players, we're going to miss him."

I will miss his play but you knew in the end it is about the money. It's his talent, his body and his bank account. He can do what he wants.

Guess Newark wasn't close enough to Brighton Beach after all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

He should be banned from ever stepping foot in the nhl.  To think they may have been able to keep parise.  

Lots of us questioned the "genius" of Lou Lam back when he acquired Kova. He gave up too much in the trade and then grossly overpaid. To add to the misfortune, they still owe a 1st rounder because they decided they didn't want to give up the 29th overall the year they lost in the Finals. No wonder. They couldn't pass up Stefan Matteau. You might have heard he was recently released by his Q league team, the Armada, after he quit on them during the playoffs. He was upset about his ice time in a road game so he took the fan bus home. Lou,Lou,Lou...........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Anyone else see this from Puck Daddy?  A source for SovSport mentions some massive money, perhaps front-loaded for Kovalchuk.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ilya-kovalchuk-join-ska-could-earn-20-million-210237775.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

they say hes gonna double his pay in the khl, he will be a god over there.  I can see ovie doing this.  I love his game but his wifes from there.  the threat that is there would shy me away if im a gm.  Look at the caps now, they have that kid over there who would be a top 6 fwd for them.  

The NHL should think long and hard and maybe stop drafting russians and limiting 1-2 per team.  The nhl was fine before they came.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Caveat emptor as far as the draft - the NHL is the big boy league.  GMs who want to take a chance on talent/risk of drafting high end Russian talent should be allowed to do it all day long if they want.  And if, like Detroit, they win a Cup that way - great for them.  And if, like Nashville and NJ, they see their most talented player bolt, bad for them.  But no nanny rules on Russians in the NHL please.

Shero must be sweating after giving Malkin a contract that pays him almost a mil per season more than Crosby.  That still surprises me.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

they say hes gonna double his pay in the khl, he will be a god over there.  I can see ovie doing this.  I love his game but his wifes from there.  the threat that is there would shy me away if im a gm.  Look at the caps now, they have that kid over there who would be a top 6 fwd for them.  

The NHL should think long and hard and maybe stop drafting russians and limiting 1-2 per team.  The nhl was fine before they came.   

The Puck Daddy article mentioned former Pred Radulov pulls down $9 million for CSKA Moscow.  I read news a couple of days ago about former Thrasher first-round pick, number 8 overall in 2010 Alex Burmistov leaving the Jets to play in the KHL.  Articles like the one below suggest the KHL's a league with poorly attended games.  Poor revenue would seem to contradict these whopping salaries.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/even-with-locked-out-nhl-stars-khl-still-a-mess/article5175535/?page=all

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Just goes to show, despite what us fans think about honouring signed contracts............other things in life end up being priorities for the person signing them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Just goes to show, despite what us fans think about honouring signed contracts............other things in life end up being priorities for the person signing them. 

Well, I'll bet really good money no GM is going to sign Kovalchuk again after pulling a stunt like this, that will teach him not for not honoring a contract!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Well, I'll bet really good money no GM is going to sign Kovalchuk again after pulling a stunt like this, that will teach him not for not honoring a contract!

[/QUOTE]

Does the KHL count for laying down good money on a bet ? Put me down for a kazillion bucks and send the cheque in the mail. Maybe SKA doesn't have a GM ( actually they do...... former Bruin Alexei Kasatonov ).

• Alexander Zaytsev: Ilya Kovalchuk’s signing with SKA will most likely be announced on Monday according to SovSport. Kovalchuk will making around $10 million a year according to Sport-Express.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kovalchuk isn't going to pay taxes on $10M over there like he would in the states. Thomas's situation was different as he didn't retire and Ilya wasn't being traded.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

This organization is in serious debt... I had heard somewhere in the neighbourhood of more than $300M... Lou and the boys are popping champagne right now to get from under that contract...Talk about winning the Lottery..

Kovalchuk is a great talent, but never seemed to enjoy playing in the NHL , never desired to be the best player.... you never saw the hunger with this guy....  Good Luck to him... don't come back...

Gotta disagree with the hunger

"Kovalchuk’s full potential: 83 points in 77 games, 19-point in 23 games playoff performance that fueled their unexpected run to the SCF – before a back injury slowed him in the later rounds."

Cherry weighs in

Said Cherry:

“Let’s face it, he was playing alright. He wasn’t playing bad. Never would I say he was playing bad, he was playing OK. And he was the one Russian I don’t mind because he chased Sean Avery in New York. He drops’em. I like him.

"But with that contract, they expected about 40 or 50 goals a year, something like OV, eh? And they didn’t. They were getting 29, 30. I don’t think they were too unhappy. It didn’t seem like they were too unhappy."

Said Cherry on Russians:

“Again, the Russians and the foreign people can have their cake and eat it, too. They don’t like it here? ‘Hey, I’ll just go back to the KHL and grab $77 million tax free!’ Why shouldn’t he? They get tax-free! So right off the top he’s gaining 50 percent, right off the top.

“So that’s why a lot of people are afraid to draft Russians. They do what they want to do and we cater to them. I’m the only guy that says the truth. Same thing as junior hockey: We bring them over here, it costs us $3,000, our poor kids are getting peanuts, and the b_ggers want to go back at Christmas, too. They have their cake and eat it, too, and Kovalchuk is just laughing all the way to the bank.”

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

San, the Devils must forfeit this year's 1st rounder to boot. Imagine if they end up a lottery team. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

San, the Devils must forfeit this year's 1st rounder to boot. Imagine if they end up a lottery team. 

I'm in the camp that believes Jeff Vanderbeek pressured Lamoriello into making the trade and re-signing. Vanderbeek also hired the attorneys that approved that 1st ridiculous contract offer which cost the 1st round pick.

As far as Lou he probably should have given up that draft pick already but he valued Corey Schnieder more this season with Broduers age.

With a franchise that is approximately $300M in debt, I also agree that this is a blessing in disguise as well. Vanderbeek is in the "Charlie Finley" category of wasting a good team for a quick buck. The Devils will probably end up in Quebec, Seattle or Hamilton before Florida or Phoenix anyways.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I'm in the camp that believes Jeff Vanderbeek pressured Lamoriello into making the trade and re-signing. Vanderbeek also hired the attorneys that approved that 1st ridiculous contract offer which cost the 1st round pick.

As far as Lou he probably should have given up that draft pick already but he valued Corey Schnieder more this season with Broduers age.

With a franchise that is approximately $300M in debt, I also agree that this is a blessing in disguise as well. Vanderbeek is in the "Charlie Finley" category of wasting a good team for a quick buck. The Devils will probably end up in Quebec, Seattle or Hamilton before Florida or Phoenix anyways.

San, what was Lou thinking by not giving it up when they lost in the Finals (#29)? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He'll make more than twice as much in half the time...tax free...and will be home.

Not a difficult decision at all.

Plus, he won't have to go to work in freakin' Newark.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

The Puck Daddy article mentioned former Pred Radulov pulls down $9 million for CSKA Moscow.  I read news a couple of days ago about former Thrasher first-round pick, number 8 overall in 2010 Alex Burmistov leaving the Jets to play in the KHL.  Articles like the one below suggest the KHL's a league with poorly attended games.  Poor revenue would seem to contradict these whopping salaries.

The KHL does have a WHA feel to it right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

San, what was Lou thinking by not giving it up when they lost in the Finals (#29)?

That's the part I don't understand. The Devils were penalized in 2010, so did he have a choice of 4 years or just 2012, 2013 and 2014 ?

He wasn't going to give up 2011s pick #4 Larsson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

That's the part I don't understand. The Devils were penalized in 2010, so did he have a choice of 4 years or just 2012, 2013 and 2014 ?

I believe he had his choice of the 4 years to give one up. It baffles me why he felt such a need to draft Matteau at 29. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I believe he had his choice of the 4 years to give one up. It baffles me why he felt such a need to draft Matteau at 29. [/QUOTE]

Yah that one is going to sting.

Sections
Shortcuts