Did CJ coach "differently" last night?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Did CJ coach "differently" last night?

I missed the game but was wondering if CJ adjusted to a more offensive style last night...or was changing the lines and a new player attitude the biggest part of thier success?  What, if anything, did CJ do differently?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

Re: Did CJ coach "differently" last night?

In Response to Did CJ coach "differently" last night?:
    [QUOTE]I missed the game but was wondering if CJ adjusted to a more offensive style last night...or was changing the lines and a new player attitude the biggest part of thier success?  What, if anything, did CJ do differently?
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Two things I noticed, aside from the obvious fire and chippiness the guys played with

1: There were certainly a lot more aggressive entries into the offensive zone, creating quality chances.  Instead of the standing around, dumping it in along the boards, chasing it, fighting for it and eventually losing it, like they had been doing the last couple weeks.

2: In the defensive zone, I noticed a lot more aggressive fore checking.  They closed every gap and played right up on every body.  Unlike the miles of room and time they had been giving their opponents lately

Not sure if all that was due to a "style change" or a "strategic adjustment" by the coach, but it's certainly what they need to keep doing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Thanks for the detailed insight...feels good to be a B's fan again!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Looks like somebody just came in and yelled at the team. Perhaps they hired Sgt. Gunny or maybe the players got sick of being called "Heartless" and took it on themselves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

A shorty and two goals from the fourth line....it wasn't that different.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Did CJ coach "differently" last night?:
    [QUOTE]A shorty and two goals from the fourth line....it wasn't that different.
    Posted by TuukkainNet[/QUOTE]

Good point, but at least it wasn't the zombie squad from the last 2 weeks!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

I saw only the third period, but it looked like our defensive system and transition were actually working.  All this year, despite CJ's vaunted defensive system, we have been letting opposing teams run rampant, allowing repeated scoring chances and lots of shots, and relying on TT to save us.  It has seemed that every time the other guys rush, they get a shot.  The apex (or nadir) of this sloppy D work was the third period vs Washington.  

In the Atlanta game 12/23, we were covering their rushes, breaking up their plays, and transitioning crisply.  Perfect passes-- that's what moves the play and wins games.  That's what I remember from last year and good streaks we have been on.  

Hope it continues. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

No he didn't although at practice there was no off day . Julien made his point during practice on how he wanted them to play.
    The players showed up and played for their coach.  I guess they do hear what fans and media saying on Julien.
    Ference was the first to speak out and brought to the game.
    Good article here from Fluto.  Read between the lines.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2010/12/25/bruins_in_right_spirit/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]A shorty and two goals from the fourth line....it wasn't that different.
    Posted by TuukkainNet[/QUOTE]

Agreed! It is the players who decided to play a more up tempo game.  The Coach did little other than changing the lines.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I believe the response during the Atlanta game was a combination of Coach and Leadership comments, professional pride and practice time. A day off occasionally is one thing and certainly well-deserved when the team is playing like a team. But, practice is necessary especially in the face of recent demonstrations of the lack of cohesion.
    What amazes me is that it took something catastrophic, like the Ducks no-show for this to happen. Where was the team and management leadership in the weeks leading up to this type of display? We could all see it coming. Why couldn't they and if they did, why didn't they do something about it? Or if they did, why wasn't there a more palpable change?

Although I enjoyed this game more than others recently. I will refrain from providing an opinion b/c one game does not define the season. I want to see how this translates over the upcoming road trip and the first home game after that...

Will they able to sustain the effort and improve   on the team dynamics?
       How will the team respond when they return home?
       Does their style of play change significantly when they return home? 

I LOVE the Bruins (got a Bergeron Shirt for Christmas!), but I have questions that I am waiting an answer for at this point. The last game was a start in the right direction...
    Doc

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Hi DOC, looks like the elderly set is up early again. Changing the lines was obviously necessary because the existing was not working. Even so, IMO the Atlanta team skated and passed better than our Bruins. That indicates that we still have lines where only two out of three are working. Savvy's line was buzzing because Horton , joined Savvy and Looch in playing an entire game. Kreji's line was stumbling some because Ryder still lags the play. Bergie's line was sporadic. When all three went down low, and Recchi went to the crease, the line prospered. BUT, Recchi does not get there very often and Claude's 2 in and 1 back doesn't allow, and when the play goes the other way, if Recchi is not back by the blue line, he is way behind. Our 4th line was better than their 4th line and reflected a chemistry that has been there from the first game. The next few games should show Peter he still needs changes, and so does Claude's game plan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Look at the line changes more closely. 
    Next, don't look at the lying stats.
    Next, look at the players, how they played.
    example: Savard, numbers didn't show it at all, he made mistakes, but his play was inspired.
    Now note that the underperformers, whether they were really bad underperformers or mild underperformers got demoted.

The real question is who contributed more to the win, the people getting 'punished' or the people getting rewarded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Hi Bogie...you are right...up at the crack of dawn. I don't usually write very long commentaries, but I felt this occasion warranted it. I agree with your observations.
    The only other comment I will add is in regard to the Meyers hit on Lucic toward the end of the game. As much as I appreciate Ference taking the fight to him. I wish Lucic had, had a chance to square off with him or maybe Horton (pay back for a beating he took in Juniors...so I am told). The best possible response came from everyone on the ice. I really had a great flash back to the old days, except no one jumped from the bench on to the ice...Ha ;-)
    One question to add. Why so many misconducts? Is there a rule that I am unaware of regarding multiple fights at the same time or was this just the ref's over-reacting?

[QUOTE]Hi DOC, looks like the elderly set is up early again. Changing the lines was obviously necessary because the existing was not working. Even so, IMO the Atlanta team skated and passed better than our Bruins. That indicates that we still have lines where only two out of three are working. Savvy's line was buzzing because Horton , joined Savvy and Looch in playing an entire game. Kreji's line was stumbling some because Ryder still lags the play. Bergie's line was sporadic. When all three went down low, and Recchi went to the crease, the line prospered. BUT, Recchi does not get there very often and Claude's 2 in and 1 back doesn't allow, and when the play goes the other way, if Recchi is not back by the blue line, he is way behind. Our 4th line was better than their 4th line and reflected a chemistry that has been there from the first game. The next few games should show Peter he still needs changes, and so does Claude's game plan.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]the fight to him. I wish Lucic had, had a chance to square off with him or maybe Horton (pay back for a beating he took in Juniors...so I am told). The best possible response came from everyone on the ice. Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

It wasn't Meyer that Horton fought in the Juniors,  it was Stewart.
    As for Lucic going after Meyer , he did , but not only was there too many players in the way but he then was being protected by the linesmen. 
    The up coming game will be interesting and I think Lucic should just pound him into the boards constantly till Meyer gets fed-up and maybe drops his gloves.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I was surprised as well that Lucic didn't go hard after Meyer after the hit.  Perfect time for him to step up to show that he may someday be "C" material.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins possessed the puck in the offensive zone two reasons that I saw was Savard played allot better than his previous games while it was very difficult to pokecheck the puck away from Marc. Seguin played well with Bergeron and Recchi had one of best games in a long time as that line possessed the puck well.

I doubt stubborn Julien read or herd about "my recommendation would be not to make a coaching change" so he'd better hope his teams doesn't take more nights off or someone might not care for the recommendation. That comment by Chiarelli means to me that it might be a message fallen on deaf ears.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I was surprised as well that Lucic didn't go hard after Meyer after the hit.  Perfect time for him to step up to show that he may someday be "C" material.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

He did.  He went right after Meyer, but Ference got to him first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-U42_EatfE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Thanks for correcting my confusion...it was Stewart. Maybe he will get to dance too!
    Doc
    Re: BsLegion
    It wasn't Meyer that Horton fought in the Juniors,  it was Stewart.
    As for Lucic going after Meyer , he did , but not only was there too many players in the way but he then was being protected by the linesmen. 
    The up coming game will be interesting and I think Lucic should just pound him into the boards constantly till Meyer gets fed-up and maybe drops his gloves.

Latin ... I'm an oringal

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Bogie...you are right...up at the crack of dawn. I don't usually write very long commentaries, but I felt this occasion warranted it. I agree with your observations. The only other comment I will add is in regard to the Meyers hit on Lucic toward the end of the game. As much as I appreciate Ference taking the fight to him. I wish Lucic had, had a chance to square off with him or maybe Horton (pay back for a beating he took in Juniors...so I am told). The best possible response came from everyone on the ice. I really had a great flash back to the old days, except no one jumped from the bench on to the ice...Ha ;-) One question to add. Why so many misconducts? Is there a rule that I am unaware of regarding multiple fights at the same time or was this just the ref's over-reacting? In Response to Re: Did CJ coach "differently" last night? :
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]
    A game misconduct is given to anyone who fights after one is already happening on the ice.So basically if there are 6 people fighting,4 of them will get misconducts.The rule was put in years back to stop the line brawls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

dezaruchi Thanks for the update...I don't know how I missed this rule, but I was in the military for a bunch of years and lost contact at different points in time.
    Doc