Did PC Really Invoke Joel Ward as what the B's Need?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Did PC Really Invoke Joel Ward as what the B's Need?

I agree that the B's could use some upgrades in certain positions but do the B's really need the Joel Ward types for success? Joel has played less than 10 minutes per game so far in the playoffs and has exactly 1 goal. Not to mention a whole 18 points in the regular season, all for the price of $3 million per year. That is a hefty price tag for a 4rth liner which is what he would be if he were a Bruin. To me this is not smart considering Seguin, Lucic, Horton, Marchand and even Ference are due raises at the end of 2013. This is the cap era. Who among them has to be sacrificed so the B's can have a couple of Wards on the roster? Is this the way to go?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Did PC Really Invoke Joel Ward as what the B's Need?

I don't think the Bruins want Joel Ward, but I would say that a Ward-type player, a Chris Neil, someone of that sort with a mix of strength, nastiness and skill would look nice on the third line with Kelly and Peverley. Someone with more pure skill would look good too, but it's hard to get that without spending big money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And that really is the problem. The key is maintaining the core and obtaining an adequate supporting cast at the same time. I don't envy PC as he has some tough choices to make for next year. If he chooses to spend a decent amount of money on 4rth liners, and the cap space that goes with it, then when most of the core is due new contracts at the end of 2013 (Seguin, Lucic, Horton, and Marchand) it is likely someone is going to have to be moved. Plus, Rask needs a new contract for next year and he will get a good raise. Add Thomas, if he is not traded, being a UFA at the end of next year and things will be very difficult indeed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

neil was doing everything we wanted lucic to be doing in the playoffs.

Boyle comes back for rangers=Loss......... Just sayin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

He means tall, heavy players that can lean on people and ware them down over the course of a series. Keep in mind we were playing without two of those in Horton and McQuaid. Ryder filled that role with his board play when he was here and that's why he always seemed to step it up in the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: Did PC Really Invoke Joel Ward as what the B's Need?:
    neil was doing everything we wanted lucic to be doing in the playoffs. Posted by 86redsox

Spot on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

I don't think the Bruins want Joel Ward, but I would say that a Ward-type player, a Chris Neil, someone of that sort with a mix of strength, nastiness and skill would look nice on the third line with Kelly and Peverley. Someone with more pure skill would look good too, but it's hard to get that without spending big money.
    Posted by OatesCam

Has everyone given up on Caron ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Did PC Really Invoke Joel Ward as what the B's Need? : Has everyone given up on Caron ?
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

No but he did absolutely nothing in the 2 playoff games that he played and often looked lost out there. This has tempered some expectations, at least for me. Sure, he will probably be a regular next year but I do not expect too much from him at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No, I expect him to take Paille's spot on the fourth line. If he earns it, he will move up a line. He is coming along nicely. Chiarelli might feel he is ready to be that third line guy this season.

In Response to Re: Did PC Really Invoke Joel Ward as what the B's Need? : Has everyone given up on Caron ?
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

Sections
Shortcuts