Did the B's Get Enough for Seguin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Did the B's Get Enough for Seguin?

Here's the trade: The Stars have acquired centers Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley and defenseman Ryan Button from the Boston Bruins for wingers Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser and defenseman Joe Morrow...

You always hate to see a young player with tons of potential leave your team. While I've read lots of negative comments about the trade, here's what being said in Dallas: http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/stars-complete-blockbuster-trade-that-brings-centers-tyler-seguin-and-rich-peverley-from-boston.html/, and

http://www.defendingbigd.com/nhl-free-agency/2013/7/4/4494138/tyler-seguin-trade-loui-eriksson-dallas-stars-boston-bruins, and

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/7/4/4493966/boston-bruins-trade-tyler-seguin-rich-peverley-to-dallas-stars-for

Here's a look at the players that the B's got in return:

1.) Reilly Smith: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars/category/_/name/reilly-smith;

2.) Loui Eriksson: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/5/31/4380922/dallas-stars-2013-season-review-loui-eriksson;

3.) Matt Fraser: http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/stars-forward-call-up-matt-fraser-knows-scouting-reports-on-him-vows-to-change-them.html/;

4.) Joe Morrow: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/3/24/4143262/brenden-morrow-trade-joe-morrow-scouting-report

Reports out of Dallas speculate that part of the reason why the Bruins made this trade was to create cap room. They are said to be interested in bringing back free agent Nathan Horton.

Thoughts on the deal? Good or bad for the B's? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Did the B's Get Enough for Seguin?

No.  They got good talent back, but when trading Seguin you should get an "elite prospect" or pick back, which Chiarelli said he wanted. If one of the prospects excels, then the Bruins may know something the rest of us don't.  But baring that, Seguin is the kind of player that could bring you much more than the Bruins received.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Draft picks are just as big an unkown as prospects. A draft pick who scores 30 goals in junior doesn't always score 30 or even 20 in the AHL, which are markers.

The Bruins have an idea of what the prospects are already looking like in the minors. It wasn't Ryder and Hamill for a potential superstar, Boston got back a 27 year old who has topped 25+ goals 4 times.

And it was a cap move for the present and future.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mitchco98's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another dumb move by PC he will regret. His track record is terrible Karbele for Colbourne and a 1st won a cup not because of Karberle, Wheeler and Stuart for Pev's how did that work and again this year Jagr for a 1st rounder zero goals in the playoffs, PC's judgement stinks. Team that gets the best player wins the trade and Seguin is the best player with more upside, 21 year old right handed centre they don't grow on trees. Bad move PC.

[/QUOTE - I like Seguin but we heard when the Kessell deal was done. That Seguin Better or thank you Kes. I think the leafs fans might disagree. We were saying #2 pick we picked the leafs pocket not so fast. If Seguin doesn't treat his job seriously he will never be a superstar player. Then four years from now we all will say he's only 25 then what. I like Seguin but he never is going to fit here he needs to play Center he's not taking DK spot or Bergy. They were just not going to put a #2 pick and 6m on the third line that and his personal stuff they weren't happy with. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

The Bruins had 36 months to evaluate Seguin and obviously figured he did not fit into the Bruins style of play and chose to move on... While he showed some promise a couple of years ago, he certainly took a step back this season...Not a good recipe for success when your dishing out $6M for a 3rd liner...... It has been mentioned that Seguin liked to have fun, maybe too much ....seems to me like Seguin loved the life that hockey brought him, but not necessarily the hard work that goes into preparing yourself to play the game... I think that is what Chiarelli meant when he said " Seguin needs to be more of a professional...that doesnt cut it in Boston.. 

Yes, I think they got proper return... Eriksson is a dynamic player as well, who has been buried in Dallas. If this guy was playing in New York , he would be a superstar....count on him for 70-80 + points easily every year playing in all situations ...right now he is a better playtha than Seguin...

No one can predict the future.  Here's hoping Seguin gets it going forward...

This deal is not over yet.... I think there is more pieces to add by PC....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

no. not even close. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Meanwhile in Dallas

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

no. not even close. 

Elaborate please. Who was a better fit and available to be had? Erickson is a lock for 25+ goals and 60+ points and he's missed 3 games in 5 years. Seguin sleeps in more than that. Morrow is a fine prospect and the other 2 players have NHL experience at a young age. People yesterday were happy to just give Peverley away so this deal was essentially 4 for 1. Bruins made out fine in my opinion and I'm on the record against trading Seguin to begin with. Gotta give to get.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Meanwhile in Dallas

WOW!!! Remind me to visit Dallas!!! I am in the market now!!!

Here is my resent likeness:

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

no. not even close. 

Elaborate please. Who was a better fit and available to be had? Erickson is a lock for 25+ goals and 60+ points and he's missed 3 games in 5 years. Seguin sleeps in more than that. Morrow is a fine prospect and the other 2 players have NHL experience at a young age. People yesterday were happy to just give Peverley away so this deal was essentially 4 for 1. Bruins made out fine in my opinion and I'm on the record against trading Seguin to begin with. Gotta give to get.

[/QUOTE]

We can't trade Peverly and get Eriksson lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

no. not even close. 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't want the guy to be traded. For anyone. I saw seguin adjust quite a bit over his three years here. You say that Eriksson is a lock for 25+. Seguin isn't? 29, and a pro rated 27 in the last two years (the only two years he's really played). He'll score 35 next year, and he would have with the bruins. If this is really a "we want to win now" move why are we taking prospects back. Unless we're wheeling those for another RW or signing a big name, this is a bad move for the future, and for the present. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no. not even close. 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't want the guy to be traded. For anyone. I saw seguin adjust quite a bit over his three years here. You say that Eriksson is a lock for 25+. Seguin isn't? 29, and a pro rated 27 in the last two years (the only two years he's really played). He'll score 35 next year, and he would have with the bruins. If this is really a "we want to win now" move why are we taking prospects back. Unless we're wheeling those for another RW or signing a big name, this is a bad move for the future, and for the present. 

[/QUOTE]

Not trying to badger you but you're only telling me what we shouldn't have got for Seguin. I'm interested in knowing what or who you legitimately think he was worth and if said players were available. Look, i like Seguin and supported him every step of the way but he hasn't proven he's in Eriksson's league yet. Loui has been rock steady for the last 5 years. Seguin has shown flashes of brilliance but a lack of consistency. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

welcome my bruns friends to capville. You can spin what ya want --this was all about clearing space. This was NOT about getting a dollar for a dollar. It may be a great trade in the end but it should be considerd part of Rasks money NOW.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOT

We can't trade Peverly and get Eriksson lol

[/QUOTE]

Would have been quite the coup if it did go down that way, you must admit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no. not even close. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not trying to badger you but you're only telling me what we shouldn't have got for Seguin. I'm interested in knowing what or who you legitimately think he was worth and if said players were available. Look, i like Seguin and supported him every step of the way but he hasn't proven he's in Eriksson's league yet. Loui has been rock steady for the last 5 years. Seguin has shown flashes of brilliance but a lack of consistency. 

[/QUOTE]

what it really comes down to is i didn't want the kid traded. if he had to be traded Evander Kane would have been a player I'd like coming the other way. bobby ryan maybe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

welcome my bruns friends to capville. You can spin what ya want --this was all about clearing space. This was NOT about getting a dollar for a dollar. It may be a great trade in the end but it should be considerd part of Rasks money NOW.

They had the money to sign Rask regardless, unless he was getting $10 million per-season.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

at this point in their careers Eriksson is the better player. if Sequin becomes the player the experts think he is then the players the B's got in the trade will determine if they got enough. well,that's what i think anyway.

"the world is full of crashing bores"-Morrissey

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

at this point in their careers Eriksson is the better player. if Sequin becomes the player the experts think he is then the players the B's got in the trade will determine if they got enough. well,that's what i think anyway.

Very true my man.

Next season will be very intersting to see how this pans out.

In TO (RHO may be able to back em up here) they are crowing about how it is now definitive proof the Kessel trade was a complete success for the Buds. Very annoying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Personally I would have kept Seguin and sucked it up for a year that the cap went down. Dealt Peverley.  Given prospects lots of time to play.

If I had to deal someone good, I would have dealt Krejci.  DK is also one of my favorite Bruins - and I would have kept him - but if I had to deal a key player, it would have been him.  He is older and his ceiling lower than Seguin.  I also think he could have brought a similar return after leading the playoffs in scoring for a second time. Dalas wanted a skilled right-shot center. DK fits the bill. I would have dealt him before July 1 when his no-trade kicked in.

If I had to deal Seguin I would have gone for one elite prospect and one potentially high pick. I would deal with a team that thought they would do well but I thought would do poor, like TO when Kessel was dealt to them.  Ideally you're getting a top-3 pick in this past draft, but if that won't happen, I look at a team like say Calgary.  Get a good young player and their next year's first rounder.  THeir GM is awful and he might think they would do fantastic adding Seguin.  NJ was willing to deal their first and I could see them dropping.  Maybe deal Seguin for this year's first and next.

Then I use the full cash from Seguin and Peverley to sign two right wings for right now.  Two among Brierre, Clarkson, Alfredson, Jagr, Iginla... surely you could land a couple with about 10 million.  Use the cash to bring in present talent and the asset to bring in high-end young potential.  I don't like trading high-end young talent for older top talent and moderate prospects.  You're making your team older and/or less talented.  All things going as expected, the Bruins will have less talent and assets in their organization in 3 years time than today, leading to decline in the organization.  The only way they buck this is if Seguin truly is a flop or if at least one of the prospects acquired today excel beyond expectations.  Here's crossing the fingers that Matt Fraser's league leading 70 goals in the AHL the last two years turns into at least 60 goals in the NHL over the next two.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

No, but PC and B's make these kind of moves (flashy goal scorer for more 'Bruins' type of guy -  see Thornton, Joe - Kessel, Phil - Seguin, Tyler).  If the B's use their $6MM in savings on David Clarkson (or similar guy), then this deal might look a little different.

I think that they must have been really fed up with Seguin.  He was on the hook for what, six more years?  Maybe they just didn't want to deal with him anymore and would rather take 70 cents on the dollar now (before FA begins) and see what they can use the cap savings on.  Clearly Dallas had to take Peverley if they wanted Seguin.

I will take a wait and see on this deal, I wonder what the savings will yield in FA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Trading Seguin for. Ericksson ...even for now ..we dont know yet if Seguin has reached his peak

Looks like Matt Fraser is the best prospect...interesti g

Getting Peverley away from the city of Boston...PRICELESS

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

[QUOTE]

Very true my man.

Next season will be very intersting to see how this pans out.

In TO (RHO may be able to back em up here) they are crowing about how it is now definitive proof the Kessel trade was a complete success for the Buds. Very annoying.

[/QUOTE]

well, i guess when your team has nothing going on (and we can throw the Blue Jays in there too), you start worrying about what  other teams are doing and take joy in those teams ,so called problems.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment

what it really comes down to is i didn't want the kid traded. if he had to be traded Evander Kane would have been a player I'd like coming the other way. bobby ryan maybe.

Sorry it took me so long to get that. I see your point and don't disagree. I honestly would prefer we kept Seguin also because I really like his upside. That said, I'm still not upset with the return. I like Eriksson's game a lot and i guarantee other fans will too. 

Sections
Shortcuts