Did you know this about Hybrid icing ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Did you know this about Hybrid icing ?

It seems it's not as simple as race to the faceoff dot .  At first I thought depending on the angle of the linemen they would get some wrong. It's a little harder than whom touches the puck first and  I could live with the errors because I liked the idea of Hybird icing.

There's a 2nd part to the call, this is where it gets tricky, it's not whom gets to the puck first , there could be a judegment call .  Let's just say Chara and Kessel are racing for the puck. Chara was closer , reaches the dot  first but it looked like Kessel was going to surpass Chara or take an inside route to beat him to the puck . The linesman can over turn the icing. This is the part I don't like . Bascially we'll never know if Kessel would have gotten to that puck first , it's the linesman that deemed Kessel would. Nevermind that Kessel could keel over because he's scared going behind the net with Chara , he didn't have to get to the puck.

Going to be fun when one of these judegment calls causes a goal.

p.s. this is where Chowdah chimes in with some sarcasm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Did you know this about Hybrid icing ?

Oh boy. That could get ugly. Allegations of biased calls and hints of favoritism to come. Habs fans will scream "conspiracy."

Ugh....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Oh boy. That could get ugly. Allegations of biased calls and hints of favoritism to come. Habs fans will scream "conspiracy."

Ugh....

LOL... you read my mind.  Especially with those smallish Hab forwards because you know they would get to the puck first all the time on Chara and Seidenberg.  LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Yes, there will be some outrage I am sure.  I know one of the called-icings in Thursday's game had me wondering what had happened.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

LOL... you read my mind.  Especially with those smallish Hab forwards because you know they would get to the puck first all the time on Chara and Seidenberg.  LOL

RCMP better hook up special phone-lines for the expected overflow of "outrage calls" to come....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I want Lou Lamoriello to take his whining to Joni Pitkanen and explain why it's so bad. Before that he can read how hybrid icing has never cost, that i've heard of, an international team a championship nor a gold medal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Oh now this is funny.

In the article on nhl.com about the approval of hybrid icing, clicking on nullify takes you to an unexpected place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Oh now this is funny.

In the article on nhl.com about the approval of hybrid icing, clicking on nullify takes you to an unexpected place.

It's a conspiracy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They took something clear cut and made it subjective.  So stupid.

The whole icing thing needs to be redone.  It's always bothered me that refs can wave it off if they think a guy could have gotten it.  Listen, it either crossed the red line and the goal line or it didn't.  Whistle or no whistle.

I saw this hybrid icing a few nights ago.  The more I think about it, the worse it gets.  The idea is to protect the players from crashing into the boards and breaking things.  Well, if the boys are at the faceoff dot and are "tied", they will continue to skate hard, inside each other's jersey, right at the end boards.

What does that solve?

Just freakin' call it.  No touch.  Red line...goal line...whistle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think they got the line wrong.  Should be at the top of the circles, and the forechecker should have to be ahead of the defenseman, so ties go to a stoppage.  You don't want to take away that stretch play where a guy with Paille's wheels takes off down the left wing and you fire it down there like an indirect pass of the end boards knowing he's going to be first on the puck.

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Just freakin' call it.  No touch.  Red line...goal line...whistle.

I think I agree with this.  Players would adapt and get better and better at the coffin corner chip shot that dies at the goal line.  Or better yet, just get to the red line and dump/chase like you're supposed to.  Works pretty well in college.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Why not just go to no-touch? I agree with NAS (been doing that a lot lately) - red line, goal line, whistle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Why not just go to no-touch? I agree with NAS (been doing that a lot lately) - red line, goal line, whistle.

When has the NHL ever done something radical (well, maybe shootouts)?

Incrementalism at best has always been their mantra.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There's nothing radical about no-touch - most of the leagues in the world use no-touch now, with some notable exceptions in NA admittedly, and a huge chunk of NHL players have already played with it, whether it be in minor hockey, IIHF tournies, the SEL or other European leagues or in some of the minor NA leagues (ECHL I think).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

True, but the NHL will be the last league on the planet with "no touch."

That is just their way.....slow and steady....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

It lessens the chance that players will try to make a long bomb breakaway pass is why. In the current system, you can miss the guy with the pass but he's still able to hustle and negate the icing. Hockey is exciting because it's fast, rough, and dangerous. I don't think the fact a player gets hurt racing for an icing once every blue moon means they need to switch to international rules. I know I sound like a neanderthal but I like the violence to a degree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TB17JM16. Show TB17JM16's posts

It takes away the excitement of the ''chase for the puck'', some fans like to watch speed and hustle after the puck, the way it was done was the right way, hybrid icing is gay and boring. Dumbs down the game some more.

A lot of dumb new rules this season, except i do like how the back end of the nets were shaved down 4 inches, should be more wrap arounds and rebounds off the backboard. The Bruins will benefit from this, especially Bergy, Marchand and Paille.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Best the other night there were 2 players racing for the dot and the ref waved it off the icing , now you had two guys still going hard and FAST to the end boards . Then you heard a big BOOM ! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" I don't think the fact a player gets hurt racing for an icing once every blue moon means they need to switch to international rules."

Explain that to Joni Pitkanen, I'm selfish I don't want players like him out of hockey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

" I don't think the fact a player gets hurt racing for an icing once every blue moon means they need to switch to international rules."

Explain that to Joni Pitkanen, I'm selfish I don't want players like him out of hockey.

San, there are so many other things that hurt players on a regular basis. You can change the icing rule all you like and there will still be players who get hurt racing for a puck on the end boards. There's very little difference between a race to negate an icing and a race to be first to a puck on a soft dump from a step over center. Maybe I'm just getting tired of all the rule changes that are supposed to "improve" the game. I grew up watching a different game than what I see today and I've got to say, it's got nothing on the hockey from the 80's and 90's. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It hasn't hurt International or European hockey would be my point. I feel it is a waste of time to wait for the defenseman to touch up. It's an expierment and there are some big voices against it (Lou Lam) so we'll see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

It hasn't hurt International or European hockey would be my point. I feel it is a waste of time to wait for the defenseman to touch up. It's an expierment and there are some big voices against it (Lou Lam) so we'll see.

I do understand that my opinion is in the minority so I think you'll eventually get your wish regarding no more touch icing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I just don't want to see a star, starting defenseman from the Bruins end his season late in the year trying to touch up. I am not saying I don't see your point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I hate the hybrid icing rule.  It just removes some of the compete level in the game.  Hate it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Joining the Hybrid Icing Sucks crowd.  Others have pointed out the flaws and I agree.

Sections
Shortcuts