Difference between Bs and Pens tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Difference between Bs and Pens tonight

I believe the biggest difference between these two teams tonight was goaltending - Fleury delivered and sadly Thomas did not. TT let in a couple of iffy goals tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Difference between Bs and Pens tonight

I was sure Rask would start tonight with what is supposed to be a struggling Pens team and Thomas getting the start in Montrea.
    Now what ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Disagree- all 3 of those goals were legit. All 3 came from turnovers or odd-man rushes. Can't blame the tender for that.  Pitt also had 39 shots= a lot!

Biggest difference was the relentless forecheck of the Pens and how they were able to keep the puck in Boston's end most of the night.  The Pens played much stronger than i expected without Sid and Mal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I thought Clod would go to Rask as well. Too bad he didn't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Good point Legion...To answer the original post I'll give Fleury his kudos but to me it looked like Pit wanted  it a little more in the second period. For some reason the B's seemed to stop skating and just stood around watching for 10 minutes or so.   Aside from that lapse I thought it was a good game.   Take the point and move on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In Response to Re: Difference between Bs and Pens tonight:
    [QUOTE]Disagree- all 3 of those goals were legit. All 3 came from turnovers or odd-man rushes. Can't blame the tender for that.  Pitt also had 39 shots= a lot! Biggest difference was the relentless forecheck of the Pens and how they were able to keep the puck in Boston's end most of the night.  The Pens played much stronger than i expected without Sid and Mal.
    Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]

Spot on analysis!

I figured the TT bashers would be out. Folks need to watch the whole game and not just the highlights (or should I say lowlights!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

i agree that it wasnt that the bruins played bad..penguins really forechecked hard...cant fault bruins effert and tank made big stops to give us a point

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Disagree- all 3 of those goals were legit. All 3 came from turnovers or odd-man rushes. Can't blame the tender for that.  Pitt also had 39 shots= a lot! Biggest difference was the relentless forecheck of the Pens and how they were able to keep the puck in Boston's end most of the night.  The Pens played much stronger than i expected without Sid and Mal.

Absolutely spot on.  The game wasn't lost in OT.  It was lost in the second period in which the Pens displayed more commitment to winning the game than the Bruins did. 

That expression "second to the puck" comes to mind as the Bruins helped the Pens make themselves appear as such.  It had nothing to do with Thomas.  It was his play that kept the Pens at bay for as long as they were thus enabling the point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Thanks BfanNJ.  I wouldn't be surprised to see TT get the start for the big Habs game tues either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'm comfortable with TT or Rask right now... our problem was never goaltending.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Puck possession not goaltending.  Pitt wanted the puck more and had it more.  Pretty impressive with all their injuries.  I mean very impressive.  Fast, hard working, grinding it out hockey plus they had stellar goaltending...from the guy I said I would want over any other goalie in the league if the playoffs started tomorrow.  Fleury has had a great year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Glad you and I saw the same game ..Pittsburgh was so much on the puck and Bruins were losing the one on one's all night.. The second period they owned the Bruins with puck possession and solid forechecking which caused the Bruins to make many turnovers... You can't win them all... Lucky to get one point..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Difference between Bs and Pens tonight : Spot on analysis! I figured the TT bashers would be out. Folks need to watch the whole game and not just the highlights (or should I say lowlights!)
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Actually, the problem is you are simply not allowed to criticize Thomas no matter what.  The last 2 goals, especially the second goal of the game, were weak.  But you are a TT basher if you dare to say that.

Bs played terrible and the game was certainly not all on Thomas.  Pens were far better and were missing half their team. But to absolve him, again, and pretend he's above any criticism is annoying.  Fleury was much, much better. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Difference between Bs and Pens tonight : Actually, the problem is you are simply not allowed to criticize Thomas no matter what.  The last 2 goals, especially the second goal of the game, were weak.  But you are a TT basher if you dare to say that. Bs played terrible and the game was certainly not all on Thomas.  Pens were far better and were missing half their team. But to absolve him, again, and pretend he's above any criticism is annoying.  Fleury was much, much better. 
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

With all due respect soxfan, you are making it sound like Fleury stood on his head.  I'm not sure that was the case.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Difference between Bs and Pens tonight : Glad you and I saw the same game ..Pittsburgh was so much on the puck and Bruins were losing the one on one's all night.. The second period they owned the Bruins with puck possession and solid forechecking which caused the Bruins to make many turnovers... You can't win them all... Lucky to get one point..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  It looked to me like Pittsburgh blocked 80-90% of the Bruins' attempted passes.  Of the passes that actually made it through to their intended recipients, over half were either in the skates or behind the receiver.  Very frustrating to watch.

That point was all Thomas.  If not for him, it could easily have been 5-1.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm a fan of both goaltenders, I lean toward Thomas, and I think he played poorly tonight.  It happens.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

quick feet & most of all quick sticks.....oh & Thorntons saying quick hands

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I said yesterday the Pens were a goon show without Crosby and Malkin. I see now I was wrong. They're hard working and well organised. I'll never like them as long as scum bag Cooke is on the team but I've got grudging respect for the way they played last night. Bergy was really missed last night and unlike the Pens they haven't had 20-odd games to get used to it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Difference between Bs and Pens tonight : Agreed.  It looked to me like Pittsburgh blocked 80-90% of the Bruins' attempted passes.  Of the passes that actually made it through to their intended recipients, over half were either in the skates or behind the receiver.  Very frustrating to watch. That point was all Thomas.  If not for him, it could easily have been 5-1.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Well said....it was a frustrating game to watch.  So many flubbed passes.  Seguin gave up the puck a bunch of times.  Recchi too.  And even Chara flubbed three outlets in the early third period.  

Marchand and Lucic were unable to move with the puck.  I can't think of anyone who played well.  Peverly, maybe.  It seemed like a case of general team constipation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The difference was probably BERGERON.  He is the center of gravity and essential cog that makes the team work.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Actually it looks as though the Pens have added a better wing in Neal, their defense plays well even without orpik, and their point total indicates they are a decent team. Having said that, the Bruins were not on their game, including Timmy. The winning goal was a softie. Kreji's line worked, but did not seem to have as much speed and charge as they have been showing. Peverly and Marchand did quite well, but it really showed how much Bergeron covers for Recchi, who cannot keep up or play with current NHL teams who are built on speed and puck control. Ryder seemed to be on the ice repeatedly and still hogged the puck or flubbed it away. Campbell was the Only consistent player on the 4th line. Paille had a down game, and Thornton is just a waste. our new defense was not as solid as in the past few games. The Pens game plan was to crowd the Bruins D and it worked. Boychuck's physical play is good, but he still makes very POOr decisions, one of which led to Staal's goal.  Claude has no clue how to resolve, so let's hope that bergie's return and leadership helps to right the ship. Having Rex play on the 4th line might help.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

The Bruins may have under-estimated the Pens intensity and their compete level was not on par with them tonight ( last night ) however, they have been on a damn good roll since the trades so no complaints from this fan.

Hope they aren't peaking too early and can ramp it up come playoff time..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]Actually it looks as though the Pens have added a better wing in Neal, their defense plays well even without orpik, and their point total indicates they are a decent team. Having said that, the Bruins were not on their game, including Timmy. The winning goal was a softie. Kreji's line worked, but did not seem to have as much speed and charge as they have been showing. Peverly and Marchand did quite well, but it really showed how much Bergeron covers for Recchi, who cannot keep up or play with current NHL teams who are built on speed and puck control. Ryder seemed to be on the ice repeatedly and still hogged the puck or flubbed it away. Campbell was the Only consistent player on the 4th line. Paille had a down game, and Thornton is just a waste. our new defense was not as solid as in the past few games. The Pens game plan was to crowd the Bruins D and it worked. Boychuck's physical play is good, but he still makes very POOr decisions, one of which led to Staal's goal.  Claude has no clue how to resolve, so let's hope that bergie's return and leadership helps to right the ship. Having Rex play on the 4th line might help.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Good analysis, bogie

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

...except, there was one shift at least where Paille and the fourth were doing very well.....Paille digging the puck out and feeding  to the slot...no goal but good effort.