Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver?????

I was just reading my latest Hockey News and they are advertising their special "Year in Pictures" issue.  It has a huge howling picture of Chara on the cover.

Off to the side theres a little picture advertising an alternate cover, of an unnamed Canuck scoring on Thomas in Vancouver (shouldn't be hard to figure out, how often did that happen?)  The text says "Look for this edition in Vancouver."

Really?  THN is so afraid of hurting the Canucks' feelings they need to pump their tires (sorry) with a more Canuck-friendly cover?  What are they going to do, light the magazine on fire?

The dress-wearing continues.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver?????

In Response to Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver?????:
    I was just reading my latest Hockey News and they are advertising their special "Year in Pictures" issue.  It has a huge howling picture of Chara on the cover. Off to the side theres a little picture advertising an alternate cover, of an unnamed Canuck scoring on Thomas in Vancouver (shouldn't be hard to figure out, how often did that happen?)  The text says "Look for this edition in Vancouver." Really?  THN is so afraid of hurting the Canucks' feelings they need to pump their tires (sorry) with a more Canuck-friendly cover?  What are they going to do, light the magazine on fire? The dress-wearing continues.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Do you honestly think THN is worried about hockey fans' feelings in Vancouver?  Seriously?  THN is a for-profit enterprise.  They're interested in one thing, and one thing only.  Revenue.  Made up of newstand sales, subscriptions, and advert  placements. If more people in Vancouver buy THN "Year in Pictures" because of a Canuck on the cover, then they'll do it.

End of story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I happen to think that THN is worried about the Canucks fans feelings. As their feelings were definately hurt its easy to see why they wouldn't put a picture of Big Z holding the Cup on the cover. Sales would be next to nil in Van so a cover of a goal being scored on TT ( one of the few ) would be much more palatable to sensitive Nuck fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver?????:
    I happen to think that THN is worried about the Canucks fans feelings. As their feelings were definately hurt its easy to see why they wouldn't put a picture of Big Z holding the Cup on the cover. Sales would be next to nil in Van so a cover of a goal being scored on TT ( one of the few ) would be much more palatable to sensitive Nuck fans.
    Posted by 50belowzero

Thanks for agreeing with me.  It's all about $$$.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jrstel. Show Jrstel's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : Thanks for agreeing with me.  It's all about $$$.
    Posted by 49-North

Does every other city have a picture of someone from their cities team or is it just Vancouver? If it is only Vancouver and not a regional thing then it would appear that they were worried about Vancouverites reacting poorly to seeing a Bruin on the cover, aka, their feelings would be hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

My guess is that they do one cover for the U.S. and one for Canada.  If you look on their website, and you go to their online purchase area, you can see options for  "Canadian cover".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think its a great marketing scheme. Well played THN.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I was just reading my latest Hockey News and they are advertising their special "Year in Pictures" issue.  It has a huge howling picture of Chara on the cover. Off to the side theres a little picture advertising an alternate cover, of an unnamed Canuck scoring on Thomas in Vancouver (shouldn't be hard to figure out, how often did that happen?)  The text says "Look for this edition in Vancouver." Really?  THN is so afraid of hurting the Canucks' feelings they need to pump their tires (sorry) with a more Canuck-friendly cover?  What are they going to do, light the magazine on fire? The dress-wearing continues.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

My issue only has the beaming Chara holding the Cup waist high on the front.  There is nothing else on the cover that fits what you've described.  Didn't THN do something similar last year with their yearbook?  Mine had Kessel on the cover while some folks in other regions had other players on theirs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : My issue only has the beaming Chara holding the Cup waist high on the front.  There is nothing else on the cover that fits what you've described.  Didn't THN do something similar last year with their yearbook?  Mine had Kessel on the cover while some folks in other regions had other players on theirs.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

I didnt say anything about the cover of this HN issue or anything else on a Chara cover. INSIDE this months issue, that came yesterday (the one with the coverage of the Flyers off-season moves and a pic of Jagr on the cover) has the advertisement for the Year In Pictures issue, with Z on the cover. On page 5 it advertises the "Vancouver area" cover.  The only reference to Canada is that it says the magazine is only on Canadian newsstands so apparently otherwise you have to buy from the website.

To everyone else, if it were about $$ (which would make sense to me as some magazines do have regional covers), there would be a pic of Subban scoring a PPG in the "Montreal area" and a shot of Roloson making a save in the "Florida area" and in the Toronto area there would be, uh, nevermind.

Anyway, I dont believe for a second that catering to the poor Canuckies is a "Canada" version... remember all that talk about USA USA v Canada... more Canadians on the Bruins roster than Vancouver?  I think it was established that not every Canadian was rooting for Van.   Not buying that BS that its a Canada thing... its a Vancouver thing. 

And there's so many $$s to be made only in Vancouver?  Please.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : Do you honestly think THN is worried about hockey fans' feelings in Vancouver?  Seriously?  THN is a for-profit enterprise.  They're interested in one thing, and one thing only.  Revenue.  Made up of newstand sales, subscriptions, and advert  placements. If more people in Vancouver buy THN "Year in Pictures" because of a Canuck on the cover, then they'll do it. End of story.
    Posted by 49-North

Exactly! It makes sense for them to pander to and not alienate Canuck fans or those of any other region and forsake potential sales.  I doubt it has anything to do with a Canada take especially with the Canucks being exposed as a less than honourable group.  So much for CBC's and Scotia Bank's Bring The Cup Home To Canada campaigns during The Finals.

SoxFan's observation got me curious so I checked the cover of this past season's THN 2010/11 Yearbook with Kessel on the cover.  In the bottom left corner, above the bar code and beside the price TOR is capitalized.  Who knows whether magazines in Montreal, Calgary etc. had similar IDs.

Perhaps THN figures area specific versions simply earn more for them overall than relying on the uncertainty of buyers purchasing the mag because of a singular item or two that relates to their team.  Count me among those who pick up a copy only if there's Bruin-specific stuff included. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Posted by SoxFanInIL

My bad.  I read it as there being Canuck stuff on the cover with Chara. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I got that issue; but the cover pic is Torres scoring n game 1. I bought mine in Calgary. My buddy bought his in NB & its the same cover as mine. Another buddy bought his in Winterpeg same thing. It's a catoring to Canadian teams!

When the new issues come out in Aug. Depending on which city you live in Canada is who's on the cover. Last yr in Calgary Iggy was on the cover. Edmonton had Hall. MC was in PQ & NB; Kessel in ON, PEI & NS. Don't know the rest.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : Do you honestly think THN is worried about hockey fans' feelings in Vancouver?  Seriously?  THN is a for-profit enterprise.  They're interested in one thing, and one thing only.  Revenue.  Made up of newstand sales, subscriptions, and advert  placements. If more people in Vancouver buy THN "Year in Pictures" because of a Canuck on the cover, then they'll do it. End of story.
    Posted by 49-North

Yes they are. Since Vancouver was what all the media & sports channels was adopted by them to be "Canada's Team" on the north side of the border. They can't very well back out now & make themselves look even more stupid! THN is no different where they try to shove things down your throat!!

I find it facinating how SI can put out a whole issue about the champs from Boston; but normally you may find a tiny article on hockey in every other issue. Yet THN cators to the babies in Van. I guess they don't want Gilles crying to someone about how unfairly his team gets treated! It's getting so tiring how this Vancouver nonsense is getting! That whole franchise is a joke & certainly one of the worst representations they could have for what CANADIAN stands for! The only thing that city & its hockey team should be shown on is the Royal Canadian Air Farce!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It sure is about feelings, but not the way you think.  Someone from the losing city is less likely to buy something with the winners on the cover. 

It's about sales.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Every city and/or region gets its own cover.

Magazines have been doing this for years, hockey included. It is done for one reason and one reason only: sales.

How many copies do you think THN would have sold in New England with a cover of the Sedins?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

If anyone thinks that this whole "different covers" subject is about anything besides sales revenue, then they have no idea how the magazine business works.  To the extent that they care about "feelings", translated into the reaction of fans in any given  city to a magazine cover, and thus, the propensity to purchase said magazine, then I agree that "feelings" enter into the equation. 

But bottom line, it's about the bottom line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

this happens with just about every sporst publication. SI with its MLB or NFL preview has regional covers, same with every single NHL season preview magazine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? :. To everyone else, if it were about $$ (which would make sense to me as some magazines do have regional covers), there would be a pic of Subban scoring a PPG in the "Montreal area" and a shot of Roloson making a save in the "Florida area" and in the Toronto area there would be, uh, nevermind.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I don't subscribe to THN anymore but for their season previews, that's exactly what they do: they have several different covers depending on the market. I found that out for the first time in the pre-internet era when I bought the pre-season edition at my local Schnuck's supermarket in St. Louis (with a grinning Brett Hull on the cover) and saw the same edition at Logan Airport a couple weeks later with a Bruins-based cover.

Smart marketing is all it is: do you think that had the Canucks won the Cup, a bunch of celebrating Vancouver players would sell ANY magazine in Boston? Of course not...and the reverse is true now in VAN.

To think it's about hurt feelings is dumb.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If anyone thinks that this whole "different covers" subject is about anything besides sales revenue, then they have no idea how the magazine business works.  To the extent that they care about "feelings", translated into the reaction of fans in any given  city to a magazine cover, and thus, the propensity to purchase said magazine, then I agree that "feelings" enter into the equation.  But bottom line, it's about the bottom line.
    Posted by 49-North

These are the same people that are constantly trying to guess what a GM will or won't due based on the feelings of the players.

Oh, they tried to trade Marc Savard!  Oh, they made a few calls on Tim Thomas!  No free agents or RFAs will ever sign in Boston again.  It's GM SUICIDE!

All of the Feelings Factor people need to return to Little League baseball and collect their participation trophy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

It sure is about feelings, but not the way you think.  Someone from the losing city is less likely to buy something with the winners on the cover.  It's about sales.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS. The logical side of me knows that & the small sensible side that I have knows that too. I just have no use for that franchise anymore! They deserved to be trashed more than hyped. If you were on my side of the border. Especially here out West you'd be disgusted the way things were.

I never thought it possible to actually loathe a team as much as I loathed the Habs; but during that final the Canucks & their Canucklehead fans came within a whisker of matching it! I hate that team & what it represents from the management; coaches & players. As you know I'm a proud Canadian & to have that team called "Canada's team" was an absolute joke!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : NAS. The logical side of me knows that & the small sensible side that I have knows that too. I just have no use for that franchise anymore! They deserved to be trashed more than hyped. If you were on my side of the border. Especially here out West you'd be disgusted the way things were. I never thought it possible to actually loathe a team as much as I loathed the Habs; but during that final the Canucks & their Canucklehead fans came within a whisker of matching it! I hate that team & what it represents from the management; coaches & players. As you know I'm a proud Canadian & to have that team called "Canada's team" was an absolute joke!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Wow, you need to let go of your hate and move on.

Genuine, rational Canuck fans like myself have moved on.  We won the President's Cup;  we were the second-last team standing in the most gruelling playoff run in all of sports.  We have much to be proud and thankful for, despite the stream of vitriol which you're going to unleash in response to this post (blah-blah biting, blah-blah diving, etc. etc. ad nauseum)  Yes, you won.  Yes, we lost.  I've moved on, and am already looking forward to next season.  If you want to rehash and rehash, and continuously relive June 2011, well, hey, it's your life.

And, for the record, I've always hated any team being "America's Team" or "Canada's Team".  The Canucks are MY team, and that's all I really care about.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : Wow, you need to let go of your hate and move on. Genuine, rational Canuck fans like myself have moved on.  We won the President's Cup;  we were the second-last team standing in the most gruelling playoff run in all of sports.  We have much to be proud and thankful for, despite the stream of vitriol which you're going to unleash in response to this post (blah-blah biting, blah-blah diving, etc. etc. ad nauseum)  Yes, you won.  Yes, we lost.  I've moved on, and am already looking forward to next season.  If you want to rehash and rehash, and continuously relive June 2011, well, hey, it's your life. And, for the record, I've always hated any team being "America's Team" or "Canada's Team".  The Canucks are MY team, and that's all I really care about.
    Posted by 49-North

You're few & far between there Bud! The Nuk fans on the radio & here in Calgary are still doing their  blah;blah;blah! Whine;whine;whine! So don't preach to me you freakin Assh^le! You don't like your team being trashed talked then leave the forum punk! Or you wouldn't hurt my one little feeling one tiny bit if you just ignored me!!! So FU & you're team full of Bitc$'s! !Don't tell me what to do again you pansy loving knob! Not on this forum & not in this life!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? :  I find it facinating how SI can put out a whole issue about the champs from Boston; but normally you may find a tiny article on hockey in every other issue.
    Posted by nitemare-38

The idea that hockey is a fringe sport that rarely gets coverage in the US (outside of big events like the Cup winner) fascinates me as well. I'm also fascinated by other really obvious things, like scientific studies that prove people are more likely to have sex with strangers after consuming 6 or more alcoholic drinks, or that texting while you drive makes you more likely to hit something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Different Hockey News cover for Vancouver????? : You're few & far between there Bud! The Nuk fans on the radio & here in Calgary are still doing their  blah;blah;blah! Whine;whine;whine! So don't preach to me you freakin Assh^le! You don't like your team being trashed talked then leave the forum punk! Or you wouldn't hurt my one little feeling one tiny bit if you just ignored me!!! So FU & you're team full of Bitc$'s! !Don't tell me what to do again you pansy loving knob! Not on this forum & not in this life!!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Wow, so mature.  And so typical of Calgary.

Hopefully, when summer ends, you'll be back in high school, so you'll have less time to post these childish rants.  Though more likely, you'll ignore your homework and keep doing this.

Sections
Shortcuts