Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1114135--leafs-dion-phaneuf-voted-most-overrated-in-the-nhl-brian-burke-not-amused

Last year around all-star time there was a poll citing Wilson as a most disliked coach.  Now this.  Check out Burke's bilingual response.

No Bruins are on the list but a couple of Canucks and a Hab made it.  I'm surprised by the inclusion of Kesler as he seems to give an honest effort most times I've seen him.  Iginla's been consistently solid for years.  I'd have included Gomez of Montreal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers

I think Gomez is overpaid, not overrated. I don't hear many people talking about how good he is. Overrated for me would be Corey Crawford, Alexander Semin, Oli Jokinen and Nik Antropov.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

And by the way? Anyone who wants to tell Dion that in person should fly to Ottawa in about two weeks.”

I am sure Horton would lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I can't believe that Joe Thornton isn't on that list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

agree with RHO that Kesler shouldn't be on the list....

would add Jeff Carter to that list....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Who the players are who were polled we'll never know.  I'd imagine the guys in the league recognize who is the real deal.  I'm wondering if it's based purely on skills or perhaps some sort of personal dislike enters into it. 

Remember Jovanovski as a poised rookie D Panther in the '95 playoffs going toe-to-toe with Lindros?  He was a lion back then.  Now he's perhaps in the home stretch of his career.  At present I don't hear enough praise about him to consider him not living up to his billing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe that Joe Thornton isn't on that list. Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

He's been on too many lists 49 so they decided to give Jumbo a rest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe that Joe Thornton isn't on that list.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

How the heck would Joe Thronton be on the list...Have you seen his numbers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Ryan Miller

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Roberto Luongo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Hahaha Burke's reply is priceless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

I also disagree on Kesler. If the Bs didn't have PB37, I would love to see him in Boston. I didn't know much about his game until the Olympics, where I thought he was the best US player other than Miller, who present problems aside had a great tournament. Lot of hustle in Kesler's game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

As much as I dislike Kesler he is not overrated at all.  Not many second line centers notch 40 goals and play a physical brand of hockey.  He is actually a first line center if you ask me based on those numbers.

- Wiz is overrated for sure. 
    - Dion is based on the hype he had coming in.  He isnt a smart decision maker at all. 
    - Eric Johnson...overrated.
    - Vinny based on contract would be the leader.
    - Spezza has skill...but is overrated.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I have no negative thoughts about Phaneuf but we are talking about Sports Illustrated a sports tabloid . I do agree with OV and Luongo they are over pay and started in the league on fire and are in the category of " good wine gone sour."

I think OV is burning himself out and is coach killer. If he goes to the KHL I will not miss him. I lost respect for Luongo after last years SC series and not wanting to play last Saturday he is getting pay how much money compare to Vancouvers back up."

The Capitals should trade OV a 9 mill dollar coach killer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Is OV Ovie? 

If so I disagree.  I believe his stock has dropped some but at the level he was at he is still head and shoulders above most.  His game will evolve.  He is getting played a lot again and well, bingo his numbers and rough and tumble style is coming back.
    Giving him the C was the worst decision they could have done.  Should have gone to Laich. 
    Washington pressing need is to rid themselves of Green-Semin.  Thats 11 million in fromage. 
    They have a boat load of young talent coming in.  They need a true leader.
    Carlson/Alzner are a great combo.  BUT, they need a physical force back there.  If Washington sheds enough pay they should seriously make a strong strong pitch for Weber. 

Sorry- went off course. 
    Conclusion- Ovie is very very good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers"

...and in other news, water is wet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Is OV Ovie?  If so I disagree.  
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

No shupe, it's Oleg Vulvaschpanken, of Grabensackk in the German league.

Seems like some subtle distinctions in overpaid vs. overrated.  They must have been overrated at some point, to be overpaid, but guys like Gomez are proabbly not even overrated anymore since practically nothing is expected of them.

Add Paul Stastny to the list.  Somewhat overrated and grossly overpaid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers : No shupe, it's Oleg Vulvaschpanken, of Grabensackk in the German league. Seems like some subtle distinctions in overpaid vs. overrated.  They must have been overrated at some point, to be overpaid, but guys like Gomez are proabbly not even overrated anymore since practically nothing is expected of them. Add Paul Stastny to the list.  Somewhat overrated and grossly overpaid.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Always attacking me.  Big meanie.

Agree on Statsny and Gomez.  Gomez was really never overrated until they gave him that money. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers : Always attacking me.  Big meanie. Agree on Statsny and Gomez.  Gomez was really never overrated until they gave him that money. 
    Well you don't have to make it so easy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers : Well you don't have to make it so easy.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I do set myself up on occasion.  Dad always said its hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys.  Makes sense now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dion Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated Player In SI Poll of NHLers : I do set myself up on occasion.  Dad always said its hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys.  Makes sense now.
    Touche'