Dirty Hockey or Hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dirty Hockey or Hockey

Okay, so we all saw Paille's Matt Cooke routine and Bergeron's Alexei Emelin routine.

Now what say you since it's Boston guys?

People were upside down about the Emelin hit on Lucic.  He took out his knees!  No attempt to play the puck!  Coward!  Dirty!  Dangerous!  Well, Bergeron's hit was as low or lower.  What say you?

Paille's play was bad, but because there was no big injury, he'll escape the scrutiny of Quintal.  He shouldn't, however, get a free pass here.  It was a slower moving play with less impact, but it was a stick out the leg and make contact with the other leg play.  100% what Cooke did.  What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Dirty Hockey or Hockey

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Okay, so we all saw Paille's Matt Cooke routine and Bergeron's Alexei Emelin routine.

People were upside down about the Emelin hit on Lucic.  He took out his knees!  No attempt to play the puck!  Coward!  Dirty!  Dangerous!  Well, Bergeron's hit was as low or lower.  What say you?

Paille's play was bad, but because there was no big injury, he'll escape the scrutiny of Quintal.  He shouldn't, however, get a free pass here.  It was a slower moving play with less impact, but it was a stick out the leg and make contact with the other leg play.  100% what Cooke did.  What say you?

[/QUOTE]

I don't recall the Paille play that well, if it's the one I'm thinking of he kind of tripped him first, just sloppy on the part of Paille, but not intentional IMO.

The Bergeron hit was textbook hipcheck and perfectly clean, again IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I didn't think the Bergeron hit was low when I watched it live.  The endless replays looked like it was lower than right on the hip.  Could have been a clip, but I was in the "it's hockey" camp on the Emelin hit with the caveat that I have no issue with Fat losing his nut over it if he wants.  Go smash Emelin, Fat.  You don't need a reason.

Paille play was bad.  Not Cooke bad, but bad enough.  CBC kept showing the play and I think it was Grapes who said look at Hamilton - he's right there.  He's got it.  It's all under control.  So to top it off, there was no need for Paille to take Gallagher.  Playoffs, guy coming off a concussion, decision making isn't up to speed yet, I guess.  The biggest difference with this vs. the Cooke play is that Cooke was a head on play where Cooke got beat. Paille never really had Gallagher lined up for a de-skater.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Bergie's hit was fine.  Paille's wasn't, but those leg checks are often just an attempt to get a piece of a guy when all else fails.

The BS call of the night was the hold on Bart, give me a break on that one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Let's be honest here. Paille just missed his check. He is not a malicious player. Let's not throw him under the bus. 9 out 10 he hits clean.
    Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't like low hits like that period !  If it was Eller doing that to Lucic last night I would have been upset, don't like period !   Hab fans are also very  hypocritical .  when Emelin did it was great, Bergeron dirty.

Paille, just dumb. Not only at that point in the game but he made sure not to avoid Gallagher .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I didn't comment on the Emelin/lucic check on the initial thread and at the time i thought it was within the rules but didn't like it,maybe because it was Emelin.It is similar to the Hamhuis check on Lucic during the Cup run.Looking at the Bergy check it is just fraction below the hip so technically a good hit but i still don't like them.Montreal fans calling it a dirty check though is a bit comical.The Paille hit was uncalled for as Hamilton was right there providing coverage and i believe it wasn't intentional ala Cooke,but reactionary,it was nonetheless a bad check,its playoff hockey though and because it was reactionary ,no suspension.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

50 below is right it was stupid on Paille part and wrong timing to be stupid. How do you think Paille did playing with Sod and Eric? I think Florek on a side note was in over his head last night and they need another solution for the absence of Kelly?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Macfact's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's be honest here. Paille just missed his check. He is not a malicious player. Let's not throw him under the bus. 9 out 10 he hits clean.

[/QUOTE]

Paille has crossed the line before.  Recall his suspension for the elbow to the head of that Blues rookie a couple of years ago.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

You are right NAS. I have a question for you and you are a good judge. Is it impulsive stupidity like my six year old who is pissed she cannot ride her bike with her older siblings so she throws her bike down in a tantrum OR is it Malicious intent like that jack boy Matt Cooke? Does not make it right but influences the punishment I guess in the new NHL. Am I right that intent plays a role in the punishment now or not? I leave it up to you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

You are right NAS. I have a question for you and you are a good judge. Is it impulsive stupidity like my six year old who is pissed she cannot ride her bike with her older siblings so she throws her bike down in a tantrum OR is it Malicious intent like that jack boy Matt Cooke? Does not make it right but influences the punishment I guess in the new NHL. Am I right that intent plays a role in the punishment now or not? I leave it up to you.

[/QUOTE]

Intent can play a part, sure.  If a guy gets hit in the mouth by a stick in a slap shot follow through, it's a four minute penalty.  If it's Marty McSorley style, it's the gate.

However, whether the idea was "take that dude out" or "stop that guy", the action here is the same.  I really don't think guys like Raffi Torres lay awake at night and plot to ruin careers and lives.  They act on instinct, but their instinct is bad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"100% what Cooke did."

Waiting for all the Paille knee on knee videos so I can compare them to Cooke's history.

Of course Cooke's videos are right at my finger tips.

Hmmm think I'll read the USA Today from front to cover and then come back...

"Don't rush into Cinco...start with Dos!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Big difference, Cooke took a running start before he made contact on a knee.  Paille was more of a reaction.  Penalty was deserved.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackcrowes. Show blackcrowes's posts

The Paille hit looked bad to me last night and it still looks bad. Look, I don't think anyone is saying that Paille was on the bench talking about taking someone out last night, but the whole "it was just a reaction move" sounds hollow to me. These are some of the most talented athletes in the world,  in that split second it seems like in his head it's not "I've got to take his knee", but rather "Uh oh, gotta do SOMETHING" and the leg stays out for a second. But the point is he doesn't have to do that. He chooses to do that, and it's wrong no matter if the person doing it is Cooke, Paille, Crosby or anyone else.

As for the Bergeron hit personally I can't make a judgement, I'm way to biased. I keep saying it's not dirty because I can't picture him doing anything dirty in the first place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Paille hit was garbage and he needs to be accountable. Wouldn't have a problem with a 1-game suspension. Have no problem with Bergeron's. He got his hip, and didn't extend up to overturn the guy. It's not illegal nor malicious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to blackcrowes' comment:
    [QUOTE]

These are some of the most talented athletes in the world,  in that split second it seems like in his head it's not "I've got to take his knee", but rather "Uh oh, gotta do SOMETHING" and the leg stays out for a second. But the point is he doesn't have to do that.

[QUOTE]

You made your point while still refuting your own point. It was EXACTLY a reaction, but the decision was made a second too late. You don't have to be a professional athlete to get caught in-between and he was just that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE

You are right NAS. I have a question for you and you are a good judge. Is it impulsive stupidity like my six year old who is pissed she cannot ride her bike with her older siblings so she throws her bike down in a tantrum OR is it Malicious intent like that jack boy Matt Cooke? Does not make it right but influences the punishment I guess in the new NHL. Am I right that intent plays a role in the punishment now or not? I leave it up

[/QUOTE]

Intent can play a part, sure.  If a guy gets hit in the mouth by a stick in a slap shot follow through, it's a four minute penalty.  If it's Marty McSorley style, it's the gate.

However, whether the idea was "take that dude out" or "stop that guy", the action here is the same.  I really don't think guys like Raffi Torres lay awake at night and plot to ruin careers and lives.  They act on instinct, but their instinct is bad.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't the follow through on a shot actually not a penalty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

[QUOTE]

Ok the truth is it all lays in the hands of the refs this time of year, yes bergeron was close to that call thats called all year, Paille no doubt, intent or not. What really Pi$$es me off is the way the rules change so much ecery year, year after year when it gets to playoff time. This isnt hockey, its called, take your chances and hope you dont get caught. Its brutal. it sux and most of all its not hockey.

[/QUOTE]

My opinion only counts when I am right

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Can you really compare bergerons hit to emelins? The 2 situations are completely different. Bergeron was caught in no mans land & had to do it. Was emelin? Nope! He was looking for it & took his run. Paille got what he deserved a 2 minute penalty. He wasn't as square to his opponent as Cooke was & didn't have reaction time to really avoid contact. Yes I am a homer & damn proud of it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can you really compare bergerons hit to emelins? The 2 situations are completely different. Bergeron was caught in no mans land & had to do it. Was emelin? Nope! He was looking for it & took his run. Paille got what he deserved a 2 minute penalty. He wasn't as square to his opponent as Cooke was & didn't have reaction time to really avoid contact. Yes I am a homer & damn proud of it!

[/QUOTE]

Emelin had how much extra time to make his decision?  Maybe 1.5 seconds.  Same hit, different opinion.

Personally, I think they were both awesome.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Bergeron hit was fine, I actually loved it, that's heads up right there by a very smart player.

Paille, stupid move and he's lucky no injury was involved and that it was just a 2 min minor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I think the difference between Paille and Cooke was the time factor.  It seemed like Cooke had his leg sticking out before he reached Barrie.  Paille was a last minute instinct thing.  I haven't rewatched the replays, so I could be wrong on this.  That's the way I remember those two plays.  Paille was lucky there was no injury or he could've gotten a game or two.

I don't have a problem with the Bergeron and Yemelin hits.  They are within the rules.  I can see why Fat was furious because there's nothing you can do when you get hit like that.  If Yemelin comes at Lucic with a "regular" check, for lack of a better word, there's a good chance Lucic doesn't fall down.  When you get hit with a good hip check, you fall down.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I haven't watched the replays for a while either, but the way I remember them, the difference between Cooke and Paille was that one was Cooke and the other was Paille.

As I remember it, Cooke had rockets firing out his arsz and used a chainsaw to hack off Barrie's leg, while Paille was bringing Gallagher cookies when he saw a goblin trying to bite Gallagher's knee, and when he tried to kick it away, he caught Gallagher's leg partly because he was trying not to spill the cookies.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I haven't watched the replays for a while either, but the way I remember them, the difference between Cooke and Paille was that one was Cooke and the other was Paille.

As I remember it, Cooke had rockets firing out his arsz and used a chainsaw to hack off Barrie's leg, while Paille was bringing Gallagher cookies when he saw a goblin trying to bite Gallagher's knee, and when he tried to kick it away, he caught Gallagher's leg partly because he was trying not to spill the cookies.

[/QUOTE]
    Great description Book.  That's exactly how I remember it and I'm not even a homah.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

Sections
Shortcuts