Dirty Paille hit...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Dirty Paille hit...

In Response to Re: Dirty Paille hit...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dirty Paille hit... : He had SOOO much time to line up the hit. If you can't control your body and are "accidently" screwing up simple hits like this and possibly ending careers, then you shouldn't be in the NHL.
    Posted by Tommy617[/QUOTE]
    Do you play hockey? When you line up a hit you're thinking one thing. Run through the guy. You don't have time to stop. Paille wanted to crush him. Which he had every right to. You don't enter the zone with your head down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Nope.  Francie Bouillon and Matt Cooke did not get suspensions. Totally clean per Colin Campbell.

No suspension per Colin Campbell logic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I dont know what will happen. Most likely 3 games a 'la Jumbo Joe.

However I do know that I want to see painfully awkward interviews between Campbell and some Dallas media where Campbell repeatedly says he cant do anything because there is no specific rule in place. Then sit there sweat and just look like a huge DB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"Too bad he's not a Penguin because then it would only be considered incidental contact."

Please don't tell me that you think Staal should have gotten anything more...one punch (albeit a penalty) is a fair exchange for an elbow to the face.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

You can still hit a guy head-on even if his head is down.  The point of the rule is to try to eliminate hits where even if the 'victim' has his head up, he still doesn't see the hit coming.  In this case, the only difference is that maybe Sawada's head doesn't make any contact with Paille.  They are similar in height though, so I think even then there would be shoulder contact (since Paille would be standing more straight, I think), however unintentional.  But, like a high stick, it doesn't matter if you hit the other guy on purpose, you need to be enough in control of your actions to avoid infractions.

I doubt there will be much of a suspension though.  No history, and apparent intent to go shoulder-to-shoulder.  Paille gets more in front on the hit, and it may not have even been a penalty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dirty Paille hit... : exactly, this was a timing play, you have a backchecker with speed, and a puck carrier with his head down, the hit was made laterally like a million other hits, it was shoulder to shoulder, the lash effect brought the puck carriers head into Paille, there was no elbow, it was all shoulder to shoulder, the only thing that happened here is the puck carrier had his head down and never knew what hit him. It was a great hit until this year. Now it is questionable... why because you have a skater out there who doesn't skate with his head up? I'd also like to add that the puck carrier was INDEED CARRYING THE PUCK unlike most other "blindside" hits where the puck was dished off years ago... those hits the skater is completely surprised and blindsided, this

bingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]" Too bad he's not a Penguin because then it would only be considered incidental contact." Please don't tell me that you think Staal should have gotten anything more...one punch (albeit a penalty) is a fair exchange for an elbow to the face.
    Posted by Dave24[/QUOTE]
    It was in reference to the Matt Cooke hit on Savard.Way to read between the lines.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

Do it again, they need to establish their reputation again as being the "Big bad Bruins" teams are not afraid to play in or against Boston.  Look at what Philly did last year.  Not to mention what happened to Savy so I like it, make teams be aware that you will get hit when you play Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

let's look on the bright side...the guy is ok(no stretcher,and continued to play), AND more importantly, paille will not be in the lineup for a while. he should be part of any trade package the b's attempt. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's an unfortunate thing and I sympathize with both guys.  Because of the new rule it is certainly a suspension probably in the 5 games range.  However I think there are a number of mitigated circumstances that get it down to 3 games.

1. Paille, no prior suspensions, and not a dirty player.
    2. Obviously no intent.  If you watch Paille come in he commits to the hit and can't let up at the last second.
    3. The 'victim' has his head down, leaning forward, and HAS the puck.  An extremely vulnerable way to come into the zone.
    4. While the point of contact was the head, Paille did not raise the elbow or leave his feet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

4 Games per the Bruins Twitter

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dirty Paille hit... : It was in reference to the Matt Cooke hit on Savard.Way to read between the lines.......
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Staal hit happened this week.  You ought to make yourself clearer.

Paille gets 4, which I think is the right amount. Not too harsh but not a 1-2 gamer either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dirty Paille hit... : Staal hit happened this week.  You ought to make yourself clearer. Paille gets 4, which I think is the right amount. Not too harsh but not a 1-2 gamer either.
    Posted by Dave24[/QUOTE]

Staal's "hit" was actually a punch, not a hit.  That's why it was so obvious he was referrencing the very similar hit from Matt Cooke...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Not so obvious, sorry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Hitting the puck carrier is a hockey play, hitting him in the head is a penalty, as it should be.

Def a game or 2, like the other 4 given out already, but he receives the new high of 4.  I want these shots to end but the hittee had the puck, it was not a targeted head shot.

Like NAS I decided to watch it from angles and many times, and he is correct it was a head shot, no ands ifs or buts.  He deserves 2games don`t know about 4 though, it was a finished check on the puck carrier, no elbow, shoulder first, it was the lurch after the bouncing puck plus balance that thru his head into the target zone.

Though he has puck, Pail gets 4 and Hunwick gets 0.

Not comparable to Cook, no rule in place, yes it $ucked but that has no bearing on anything since.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]Not comparable to Cook, no rule in place, yes it $ucked but that has no bearing on anything since.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]
    Well, it does serve as a gold standard through doesn't it?  I know Campbell would never answer the question, but I find myself wondering what suspension Cooke would have received if the rule had been in place already.  Given Paille's suspension, I would tend to think it would have been up around 10 games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Here is my discontent as simple as I can make it:

1.  Cooke's hit on Savard was after Savard had shot the puck... he was looking downward.  Cooke was hitting with the intent to injure..

2.  Hunwick's hit was along the boards, Savard had his head downward. Hanwick was not intenting to injure.  Savard is a trooper trying to turn around his game after a severe concussion. 

3.  Paille hit was when Sawada when he lost the puck in the offensive zone. His head was down and in a vulnerable postiion. BTW Swada was being an jerk the shift before pushing and shoving in front of the Bs net.  

The net result: the game is changing.  The good is Paille is suspended for a head hit.  He deserves the penalty!!!  The bad:  last year the hit was absolutely legal.  The ugly: how does one teach young players.  To go into the offensive zone with the head down.  Wow times change. 

Now I can live with change.  The totality of the decision is you are "radically" changing the game.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup, more to come on the issue.  21st century techonology needs to be added to the equation.  Check below:

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2011/02/04/paille-ban-julien-reaction-prove-more-discussion-needed-on-headshots/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]It's was blind side, and I think it will be more then 2 games.  I totally agree on the lack emphasis on skating through the dirty zone with your head down though. I don't think that because just because you can identify a blind side hit, that it automatically means you want the hitting out of the game.  If he comes through there with his head down and a D man flattens him, then he's making highlight reels and everyone is talking about how huge the hit was (player injury or not).
    Posted by Neely07708[/QUOTE]

hey thats a killer looking graphic you have there for your avatar, where did you get it? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dirty Paille hit... : Do you play hockey? When you line up a hit you're thinking one thing. Run through the guy. You don't have time to stop. Paille wanted to crush him. Which he had every right to. You don't enter the zone with your head down.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do play hockey. And I love hitting. I recognize some times you don't have time to adjust. Paille did. I'm not saying he should have even slowed down, just lower his shoulder to make sure he hit in the midsection. Not difficult AT ALL at ANY speed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

It is when the player keeps reaching further and further away from his body. Paille didn't have time to react at the speed he skates. He aimed at the shoulder. Sawada reached out for the puck thus lowering him... smack!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Not so obvious, sorry.
    Posted by Dave24[/QUOTE]
    So you actually thought I was saying Staals' punch could be considered incidental contact?By no means do I think Staal should be suspended but I'm having trouble imagining how anyone could confuse it as being accidental.I guess I'll try to be clearer from now on.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts