Disappointed Canadian

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Disappointed Canadian

I  know this is a hockey forum, but I need to vent & this is the only place I come on BDC. Watched the Can-US women's soccer semi's today. I hate the sport, but when it comes down to a team Canada getting close to winning something I'll support. My disappointment isn't from Canada losing, it's not from the refereeing. It's in our nation calling the sour grapes that I'm disappointed in. I'm disappointed in how many Canadian's are cheering for Japan now. Why would we go against our closest allies in anything? If Canada doesn't win, my next hope is the USA. 

I get that there were bad calls, but the refs didn't actually score the goals did they? The US took advantage of their opportunities. Whether those opportunities were given rightly, or wrongly doesn't matter. Canada's job as a team is to we
    ather each storm & capitalize on their opportunities. They gave it their all & put it all out there! They came up short! They weren't even supposed to be in medal contention. They should be proud & we as Canadians should be using these spaces to tell them how proud we are of them for representing what Canada is! Not wasting it on a referee who made some bad calls! Don't give the ref the time of day!
    Sorry, NAS I know you're going to say this is a hockey forum & women's soccer doesn't belong in here, but it's not about the soccer game per say. I hope the US kicks Japan's behind. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Disappointed Canadian

I have no idea what the "abortion that lived" null said. I hope another somewhat intelligent poster can say something, because I know he didn't. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Disappointed Canadian:
    [QUOTE] I  know this is a hockey forum, but I need to vent & this is the only place I come on BDC. Watched the Can-US women's soccer semi's today. I hate the sport, but when it comes down to a team Canada getting close to winning something I'll support. My disappointment isn't from Canada losing, it's not from the refereeing. It's in our nation calling the sour grapes that I'm disappointed in. I'm disappointed in how many Canadian's are cheering for Japan now. Why would we go against our closest allies in anything? If Canada doesn't win, my next hope is the USA.  I get that there were bad calls, but the refs didn't actually score the goals did they? The US took advantage of their opportunities. Whether those opportunities were given rightly, or wrongly doesn't matter. Canada's job as a team is to we ather each storm & capitalize on their opportunities. They gave it their all & put it all out there! They came up short! They weren't even supposed to be in medal contention. They should be proud & we as Canadians should be using these spaces to tell them how proud we are of them for representing what Canada is! Not wasting it on a referee who made some bad calls! Don't give the ref the time of day! Sorry, NAS I know you're going to say this is a hockey forum & women's soccer doesn't belong in here, but it's not about the soccer game per say. I hope the US kicks Japan's behind. 
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Love your passion Nite, I find myself watching some events/sports I'm not really interested in but do so because the team representing my country is playing. I don't care too much about swimming but i watched it this year with the wife.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Another Canadian to share your pain Nitemare. I guess this is one more reason we don't take the summer Olympics too seriously. I watched the whole thing and it was more then a poorly called soccer match by the refs!

Still proud of the girls!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Next time you find yourself watching a women's soccer game, just walk over to the kitchen, open the refrigerator door, stick your head in, and slam it shut about 20 times in a row 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Disappointed Canadian:
    [QUOTE]Next time you find yourself watching a women's soccer game, just walk over to the kitchen, open the refrigerator door, stick your head in, and slam it shut about 20 times in a row 
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    I guess we have a difference in Nation's pride. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

You have Bobby Orr, Neil Young and Norm MacDonald... you need women's soccer to feel your "nations pride" ???

You sure are acting keenly alive and exuberant

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Ottawa Ghost & Viper six-one to the rescue of Canadian Olympics!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed Canadian : I guess we have a difference in Nation's pride. 

The fact you watched a complete soccer game men or womans is outstanding.  I caught the last part of the game. Two butchered calls helped the US team.  The Canadian coach was awesome in his interview.  Just said it happens and move onto the next task.  It was a good showing for them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't want to sound like a Canucks fan, but that was the worst reffing I have ever seen.The neutral BBC agrees with me, as do the Australians, Germans, French, Japanese and Dutch. i'm not saying she was bought off, but i certainly have my doubts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]You have Bobby Orr, Neil Young and Norm MacDonald... you need women's soccer to feel your "nations pride" ??? You sure are acting keenly alive and exuberant

See if you understand this concept.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep the reffing and diving in soccer is as bad as it is in hockey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Yep the reffing and diving in soccer is as bad as it is in hockey.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Worse. Far worse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want to sound like a Canucks fan, but that was the worst reffing I have ever seen.The neutral BBC agrees with me, as do the Australians, Germans, French, Japanese and Dutch.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    That's all the more reason to forget about the ref's calls Red. It takes away what the Canadian team has done up to this point. Everyone else is talking about the ref & making that the most important aspect. It's easy to cry sour grapes, but it's not so easy to look at what was accomplished in a loss. No matter how much belly aching is done. The results won't change. Did we not have the lead 3 different times? A ref's calls can certainly "help" change the outcome, but can it actually "make" the outcome? Have you never played in a game Red where you just felt the ref had it out for your team? Did your team never overcome that? Besides, is there not a specific rule that a goalie cannot hang onto the ball longer than 6 sec? Regardless of whether or not it's called a lot is irrelevant. It's a rule of the game. Maybe the ref felt the Canadian goalie was killing the clock. If Canada's goalie would've made the save on the penalty kick? Different outcome! The ref was bad. I'm not disputing that, but I find it more of a shame that people are talking more about that than what those women did as a team. And I find it worse that a lot of our nation is cheering for Japan now. Just because the US over came 3 one goal deficits & beat us? That's a team that deserves respect imo. If the ref made Canada play without a goalie, or made them play 3 women short, or kicked the ball into Canada's net & said the US did it. That's 1 thing, but none of this happened. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

[QUOTE]You have Bobby Orr, Neil Young and Norm MacDonald... you need women's soccer to feel your "nations pride" ??? You sure are acting keenly alive and exuberant

Always great to see a fellow Norm fan, so under-appreciated by most.  Dirty Work is one of my all time favorites.  I saw him do stand-up in Boston a few months after the Bruins won the Cup, spent the first few minutes talking about that and how his dad was always a huge fan living in the Montreal market.

As for the soccer, I can't blame anyone for rooting against the Americans.  I'm an American and can't stand that goalie.  Bashing multiple former teammates and coaches, starting fights on twitter.  She acts like a spoiled, entitled attention wh0re.  Not the type of person I want representing the country.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed Canadian : That's all the more reason to forget about the ref's calls Red. It takes away what the Canadian team has done up to this point. Everyone else is talking about the ref & making that the most important aspect. It's easy to cry sour grapes, but it's not so easy to look at what was accomplished in a loss. No matter how much belly aching is done. The results won't change. Did we not have the lead 3 different times? A ref's calls can certainly "help" change the outcome, but can it actually "make" the outcome? Have you never played in a game Red where you just felt the ref had it out for your team? Did your team never overcome that? Besides, is there not a specific rule that a goalie cannot hang onto the ball longer than 6 sec? Regardless of whether or not it's called a lot is irrelevant. It's a rule of the game. Maybe the ref felt the Canadian goalie was killing the clock. If Canada's goalie would've made the save on the penalty kick? Different outcome! The ref was bad. I'm not disputing that, but I find it more of a shame that people are talking more about that than what those women did as a team. And I find it worse that a lot of our nation is cheering for Japan now. Just because the US over came 3 one goal deficits & beat us? That's a team that deserves respect imo. If the ref made Canada play without a goalie, or made them play 3 women short, or kicked the ball into Canada's net & said the US did it. That's 1 thing, but none of this happened. 

Whatever, let's beat France, get the first Canadian medal in soccer and cheer on Sinclair as she carries the Flag into the Closing Ceremonies. What's done is done.I do still think that was the worst reffing I've ever seen, but whatever, let's get that bronze.

btw it has been 22 years since an indirect free kick has been given inside the 18 yard box for delay of game in international soccer, men's or women's. it's the first time in a women's major international match EVER that ruling has been made. not to mention that with your back turned a deflection off an elbow would not be called as a handball by 90 percent of refs... but whatever. it would take me a week to describe all of the aggregious errors.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

under the rules, it was not a handball. the wrong call was made, to go with the other 20 odd wrong calls made - $hit reffing. and that's not just a Canadian prespective - the British, Dutch, French, German, Aussie, Kiwi, South African, Itlian, and Spainish all agree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want to sound like a Canucks fan, but that was the worst reffing I have ever seen.The neutral BBC agrees with me, as do the Australians, Germans, French, Japanese and Dutch. i'm not saying she was bought off, but i certainly have my doubts.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Did you watch the gold medal hockey game between the Canadian & USA women at the Salt Lake City Olympic's? Now that was bad reffing. Thankfully the right team won.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed Canadian : Did you watch the gold medal hockey game between the Canadian & USA women at the Salt Lake City Olympic's? Now that was bad reffing. Thankfully the right team won.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

We were using that game as a reference point as we watched this match. It was brought up a number of times. This was worse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointed Canadian : We were using that game as a reference point as we watched this match. It was brought up a number of times. This was worse.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I didn't get to watch the game so i can't compare, but if the soccer game had worse reffing, it had to be atrocious. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts