Discrimination in Hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Discrimination in Hockey

Dez,
    I think racism is as common in sports as anywhere else.. This snt the act of an organization or fans, its a coach (or coaches) and from reading that story, its a guy bitter about his ex, who knows how much he really even believes what he says..  I mean "anahiem" is being tied in cause thats the money, this happened with  a coach in a minor league affiliate.. The first thing that went through my head reading your post was, in california? really....

There was a question posed to thornton in some interview not to long ago about homosexual players in the NHL, and if he thought there were any gay players, and his response was "I don't think there are, I don't see how their could be, but statistically I don't see how there couldn't be.."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I saw the story, and was disgusted.

I didn't realize most players had room in their lives for a second religion after hockey.

In Response to Discrimination in Hockey:
    I was shocked and appalled to see this story about Jason Bailey,an Ottawa farm hand,suing his former employers,the Ducks,for discrimination.As unbelieveable as it may be,it seems Bailey was discriminated against because he's Jewish.I personally couldn't tell you which players are what religion(I just don't care).Am I right to be so surprised or have I been keeping my head in the sand?The average fan doesn't care about a players' faith do they? http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jewish+player+sues+Ducks+discrimination/4177065/story.html
    Posted by dezaruchi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey:
    I saw the story, and was disgusted. I didn't realize most players had room in their lives for a second religion after hockey. In Response to Discrimination in Hockey :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Good one! HA!
    I was once cut by a team because of my religion. I belong to a cult that worships ice and while playing hockey I was frequently overcome with joy because of the abundance of beautiful ice beneath my skates. I would spontaneously feel the need to be closer to the ice and spent much of my ice time horizontal. We led the leaugue in too many men on the ice penalties because I would often slip over the boards to be with the ice when it wasn't my shift. The coach cut me for this, therefore I feel I was discriminated against. (In hindsight, I realize they probably didn't care about my religion and just figured I couldn't skate).  I was going to sue the team but they gave me a big bucket of ice to go away along with first dibs on the Zamboni pile in the back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, I think racism is as common in sports as anywhere else.. This snt the act of an organization or fans, its a coach (or coaches) and from reading that story, its a guy bitter about his ex, who knows how much he really even believes what he says..  I mean "anahiem" is being tied in cause thats the money, this happened with  a coach in a minor league affiliate.. The first thing that went through my head reading your post was, in california? really.... There was a question posed to thornton in some interview not to long ago about homosexual players in the NHL, and if he thought there were any gay players, and his response was "I don't think there are, I don't see how their could be, but statistically I don't see how there couldn't be.."
    Posted by rolerhoky19

If it was merely 1 coach involved you could pass it off as simply a guy bitter with an ex but there was obviously more to it.2 coaches were directly involved and the organization was indirectly at fault for having done nothing with Baileys' original complaints.There is no excuse for this behavior in todays world(let alone sports).People should leave their hate at home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

There is no excuse for this behavior in todays world(let alone sports).People should leave their hate at home.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Amen, Dez.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to Discrimination in Hockey:
    I was shocked and appalled to see this story about Jason Bailey,an Ottawa farm hand,suing his former employers,the Ducks,for discrimination.As unbelieveable as it may be,it seems Bailey was discriminated against because he's Jewish.I personally couldn't tell you which players are what religion(I just don't care).Am I right to be so surprised or have I been keeping my head in the sand?The average fan doesn't care about a players' faith do they? http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jewish+player+sues+Ducks+discrimination/4177065/story.html
    Posted by dezaruchi

Wait a minute. Filing a law suit is one step in a long process and at this time it presents Bailey's side of the story. It may well be true and if its true, it's repugnant and the coach and the organization should pay dearly for their unprofessional behavior. That said, at this point in time we only know one side of the story. Before we all cast aspirations on the coach and staff in question, let's see how this thing shakes out. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Bailey has every right to sue, and if the facts of this case bare out, he should go after the Ducks. Simply no place in hockey -- or in society-- for this.

This post prompted me to think again about Brendan Burke (RIP). Did anyone see the recent GQ piece on his dad? Pretty fascinating read:

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201101/brian-burke-nhl-gay-players-athletes

We all bash the Leafs and thank Brian for the Kessel deal, but this article shows a courageous family.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    your right 2 coaches, I missed the pederson remarks, but nothing i see in the story indicates any involvement or awareness on the part of the ducks..  maybe I missed that, but really this should have fallen with in the ECHL team, I doubt any thing (paper work etc) ever made it to anahiem.  It would have gone to owners and management of the ECHL team first dont you think?  If I had a problem in reading, I would start there, assuming the bruins are so far removed they wont be able to do much for my cause.. Anahiem is where the money is.. I don't think this is a bogus suite from the sound of things,

but I don't think the actions of 2 coaches for some ECHL team should bare much reflection on the organization..  At that level the relationship is usually a contractual affiliation and little else..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Discrimination in Hockey : Wait a minute. Filing a law suit is one step in a long process and at this time it presents Bailey's side of the story. It may well be true and if its true, it's repugnant and the coach and the organization should pay dearly for their unprofessional behavior. That said, at this point in time we only know one side of the story. Before we all cast aspirations on the coach and staff in question, let's see how this thing shakes out. 
    Posted by Shadowcpt

We know that letters of apology from the coaches have been entered into evidence.People in the right usually don't apologize.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Dez Ive only briefed the article. But judging from your comments ill say this.

If one southern parishoner decides to burn copies of another religions sacred books does that mean that all southern parishoners will/are doing the same??

Bad apples can appear anywhere at any time, the least of it has to do with hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    thats not true.. I am guessing if they issued letters they were pressured, if they made the statements that are claimed they wouldn't believe they were in any wrong I would guess..

End up in a relationship, tell me you only apologize when your in the wrong and well talk..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

They called me names? Who cares........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey : We know that letters of apology from the coaches have been entered into evidence.People in the right usually don't apologize.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I was not aware that the coaches have apologized. If so, as said, their actions are repugnant and they should pay for their stupidity. Where did you see that they have filed letters of apology?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey : I was not aware that the coaches have apologized. If so, as said, their actions are repugnant and they should pay for their stupidity. Where did you see that they have filed letters of apology?
    Posted by Shadowcpt

Never mind, I read some recent press releases that cite their letters of apology. Hard to believe the Ducks organization acted so unprofessionally by tolerating that nonsense - doesn't belong anywhere let alone our beloved sport of hockey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A typically immature and dim-witted post from nash above.  Who cares about racism?  Right nash?  Great thinking...

Otherwise, good comments here.  The fact that there were 2 coaches and the admission of at some guilt from both of them really lends credence to Bailey's claims, IMO.  Still have not heard much of anything denying the reports from the coaches.  Whether Bailey was actually pushed out or benched is another issue, but it seems like he was at least subjected to a totally unfair work environment.

And seriously, who is still dumb enough to believe that you can make repeated "jokes" about calling someone a "dirty jew" without any repercussions?  That goes beyond bad judgement.  It's indefensible, which I guess is why both coaches eventually apologized.  I played college hockey with several Jewish players and I can't imagine a scenario like this.  Sad for Bailey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree it's repugnant, and if the accusations are accurate, then they should pay through the nose.

I also find it a little naive to think that discrimination is not a factor in hockey. As long as it persists in the greater society, some aspect of it will be within the sport. I have two examples of it that I can share, though both are more from the fans or players than the organizations.

I spent a lot of my youth in rural rinks in Manitoba. For those of you not familiar with the area, the Native population is quite large, percentage wise I think it's the highest in Canada or the States. The reprehensible stereotypes of "drunken indian" still persist within parts of the white community, and you occassionally heard fans yell slurs at Native players, but more frequently you would just hear mumblings - some player on the bench saying something to his buddy under his breath or the liike. I once heard a parent tell their kid "I can't believe you lost to a bunch of  drunks." He was a eferring to an all native bantam team.

The other one is one I've been on the receiving end of, but has only ever come from supposed "fans." You'd be stunned to hear how many times myself, my teammates, or my opponents over the years have had some drunk idiot in the stands yell out gay epithets like "dy.ke" or "carpet muncher". And it doesn't even matter if the player they're going after is actually gay - it's still a persistent stereotype that a girl or woman who plays hockey must be gay (in my case it's true, but in most it isn't.) I also know gay men who stay in the closet to their teams for fear of the reaction they will receive.

I don't think discrimination is an overt force in hockey, but as long as it persists in our culture, there will be pockets of it within the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, thats not true.. I am guessing if they issued letters they were pressured, if they made the statements that are claimed they wouldn't believe they were in any wrong I would guess.. End up in a relationship, tell me you only apologize when your in the wrong and well talk..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I'm not going to write an official letter of apology if I'm not wrong.Comparing my interactions with my girlfriend to my interactions with my employer is ludicrous.Did you bother reading the article?I'm guessing he knew he was wrong when using the term"dirty jew" but whatever.You're entitled to your opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez Ive only briefed the article. But judging from your comments ill say this. If one southern parishoner decides to burn copies of another religions sacred books does that mean that all southern parishoners will/are doing the same?? Bad apples can appear anywhere at any time, the least of it has to do with hockey.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

ILH-the bottom line is that a complaint was made by Bailey and ignored by the Ducks so your analogy has no relevance.I'm not saying the Ducks organization(or any other)is racist.I'm only saying I'm shocked that this story was able to get to the point that I even heard about it.It was national news that Doan might have called someone a frog yet this sort of behavior is still taking place.I'm shocked by it,that's all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Brian Burke the GM and Brian Burke family man simply live in the same body, that doesn't make them of equal value or equal ability.

Bailey has every right to sue, and if the facts of this case bare out, he should go after the Ducks. Simply no place in hockey -- or in society-- for this. This post prompted me to think again about Brendan Burke (RIP). Did anyone see the recent GQ piece on his dad? Pretty fascinating read: http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201101/brian-burke-nhl-gay-players-athletes We all bash the Leafs and thank Brian for the Kessel deal, but this article shows a courageous family.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

.Am I right to be so surprised or have I been keeping my head in the sand?The average fan doesn't care about a players' faith do they?

Hopefully they dont. I've never been full of hatred for any race/religon so for me sometimes its tough to understand and I assume the best of people. Hoping it was just 1 or 2 bad people, and not a widespread thing or something like that.

Sounds like this coach had such a vendetta against this player because of his religion(Because his ex-wife was Jewish as well) That his ability to coach objcectively was seriously hindered. Ihope the ducks fire the guy asap.

I dont think its a hockey wide thing though I thouhgt that was what you were getting at. Then again an NHL wide conspirace against Jews would be interesting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

dispicable yes...shocked and amazed no. until we have interbred to the point there is only one skin color, and everyone lets go of the security blanket they call religion, we will continue side with those most like ourselves, instead of realizing we are all in this TOGETHER. we all have the same needs in life-food,shelter,warmth and companionship. still waiting for the great awakening-until then..."if your not like me, your inferior"- will be the norm---sad sad sad

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey : Good one! HA! I was once cut by a team because of my religion. I belong to a cult that worships ice and while playing hockey I was frequently overcome with joy because of the abundance of beautiful ice beneath my skates. I would spontaneously feel the need to be closer to the ice and spent much of my ice time horizontal. We led the leaugue in too many men on the ice penalties because I would often slip over the boards to be with the ice when it wasn't my shift. The coach cut me for this, therefore I feel I was discriminated against. (In hindsight, I realize they probably didn't care about my religion and just figured I couldn't skate).  I was going to sue the team but they gave me a big bucket of ice to go away along with first dibs on the Zamboni pile in the back.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Hey walktheline

after reading the first few lines of your post I am just wondering is Blake Wheeler a member of your cult because it describes his play most night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

There is discrimination and intolerance in all facets of life...and I'm sure most of us here are not above reproach either.
    Repugnant is a good word. So is ignorant.
    The fact this reared it's head in the NHL (or any other work environment) is no surprise.
    I'm sure there are no gays in the NHL <wink wink />
    ...and I'm sure someone like Tony McKegney never was subject to racial slurs either.
    The sad thing is these idiot coaches will in all likelihood blame the "dirty jew" for any repercussions they must now face, instead of looking in the mirror and seeing the foul person they truly are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey : Hey walktheline after reading the first few lines of your post I am just wondering is Blake Wheeler a member of your cult because it describes his play most night.
    Posted by BuckNakie

Why, yes he is. You are sharp my friend. In fact, he is the current grand poobah of the ice hugger cult.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I am just surprised by the nature of these particular comments.  Some forms of bigotry are more common than others.  As red75 pointed out homophobic slurs are rampant in hockey.  When I played in college (and even now in rec. leagues) terms like 'f*ggot' and 'h*omo' are thrown out somewhat frequently (although they seem to be used for any player, not necessarily gay players).

But a term like "dirty jew" seems totally out of the ordinary.  I am not suggesting that one type of slur is better than the other, but it really speaks to just how out of touch these coaches were that they would still be using a term like "dirty jew" at practices (and specifically directed at a Jewish player). 

I am no moralist or model of behavior, but what kind of a moron thinks that is acceptable behavior for a position of authority in 2010?? 

They should be fired for being so incredibly stupid, if nothing else.

Sections
Shortcuts