Discrimination in Hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Discrimination in Hockey

"...denigrated Bailey’s faith by stating that he never wanted his son to be raised Jewish or wear a yarmulke."

This isn't illegal.  It's okay not to like something.

As for the benchings/ice time/road trip stuff, who knows the exact cause.

"Raymond told Bailey that his ex-wife was Jewish and was a “yzyzyz” for taking all his money."

That's not illegal.

I'm going to guess that the letters of apology were written to head off the lawsuit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey:
    [QUOTE]"...denigrated Bailey’s faith by stating that he never wanted his son to be raised Jewish or wear a yarmulke." This isn't illegal.  It's okay not to like something. As for the benchings/ice time/road trip stuff, who knows the exact cause. "Raymond told Bailey that his ex-wife was Jewish and was a “yzyzyz” for taking all his money." That's not illegal. I'm going to guess that the letters of apology were written to head off the lawsuit.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

It is illegal.  The specific term being reported on HNIC radio is the use of the term "dirty jew" towards Bailey.

It is absolutely illegal to harass someone in the workplace on the basis of race or religion.  It may be perfectly legal to not like black people, but if you tell your black employee that you don't like black people, then you are well outside of basic workplace harassment laws.

An employer in America calling a Jewish employee a "dirty jew" is indeed against the law, particularly if it is part of a pattern which appears to be the case here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    where in the article does is say that complaints were ignored by anahiem?  You keep saying that again and again, but i see nothing in the article that makes any allegations that they did..

As far as whether he (the coaches) thought it was wrong or not to use that term, If he  believes the way he feels, (not that is is right) but if that is how he believes, he probably doesn't feel deep down it was wrong. I would also bet if these terms were used consistently that he continued to mutter the same slurs under his breath the entire time he was writing the apology.

People make concessions all the time that they don't believe in..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, where in the article does is say that complaints were ignored by anahiem?  You keep saying that again and again, but i see nothing in the article that makes any allegations that they did.. As far as whether he (the coaches) thought it was wrong or not to use that term, If he  believes the way he feels, (not that is is right) but if that is how he believes, he probably doesn't feel deep down it was wrong. I would also bet if these terms were used consistently that he continued to mutter the same slurs under his breath the entire time he was writing the apology. People make concessions all the time that they don't believe in..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Both coaches were suspended for this in 2009.  If nothing else, that tells you that the organization believes that the complaints were legitimate and that Bailey was not making them up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, where in the article does is say that complaints were ignored by anahiem?  You keep saying that again and again, but i see nothing in the article that makes any allegations that they did.. As far as whether he (the coaches) thought it was wrong or not to use that term, If he  believes the way he feels, (not that is is right) but if that is how he believes, he probably doesn't feel deep down it was wrong. I would also bet if these terms were used consistently that he continued to mutter the same slurs under his breath the entire time he was writing the apology. People make concessions all the time that they don't believe in..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    Sorry I didn't provide a link to every article I read on this subject but that is the basis of his suit against the Ducks.He brought the coaches behavior to the attention of management and he felt no steps were taken to address it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't care what fictional character anyone chooses to beleive in or worship..More power to them, just don't try to recruit me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]"...denigrated Bailey’s faith by stating that he never wanted his son to be raised Jewish or wear a yarmulke." This isn't illegal.  It's okay not to like something. As for the benchings/ice time/road trip stuff, who knows the exact cause. "Raymond told Bailey that his ex-wife was Jewish and was a “yzyzyz” for taking all his money." That's not illegal. I'm going to guess that the letters of apology were written to head off the lawsuit.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] (mister lawyer) this is d#mb and st#pid.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Social commentary in a hockey forum, on the surface seems rather odd.  Nonetheless, I will attempt to provide my views focusing on the explanations of Red and Nas.  If a coach deningrates any player because of religion, sexual orientation, skin color, etc. he/she should be fired on the spot.  Espcially with young people.  That coach is a bit limited in perspective on human beings.  That coach should not be in the position of leadership, period!!!!!!  

Now, is there a need for a law, well, no.  A person has a right to an opinion.  The hockey club as a social group needs to shun that behavior.  With modern media the dengrating behavior of individuals on team sports cannot be so easy hidden or ignored.  To add, political correctness only excerbates the problem imo.  After all who decides what is political correct.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Social commentary in a hockey forum, on the surface seems rather odd.  Nonetheless, I will attempt to provide my views focusing on the explanations of Red and Nas.  If a coach deningrates any player because of religion, sexual orientation, skin color, etc. he/she should be fired on the spot.  Espcially with young people.  That coach is a bit limited in perspective on human beings.  That coach should not be in the position of leadership, period!!!!!!   Now, is there a need for a law, well, no.  A person has a right to an opinion.  The hockey club as a social group needs to shun that behavior.  With modern media the dengrating behavior of individuals on team sports cannot be so easy hidden or ignored.  To add, political correctness only excerbates the problem imo.  After all who decides what is political correct.
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I agree that there's not a need for a crminal law, but part of the reason civil courts exist is to keep matters like this out of the criminal realm. If an employee is not given a fair shot due to the bigotries of their supervisor, the supervisor should be fired and then held accountable through suit if it can be dertimned that the employee was denied financial gains due to said bigotry.

I do think this, on a management level, is a likely aberration in hockey. I started out on boys' squads because that was the only way I could play. A teammate once went into me about being a fn d*yke (I was only 11 or 12). My Coach overheard it and he sat the player for the next two games. Never had any problems on my boys teams after that. Coaches are supposed to lead by example, as my coach did and these coaches allegedly did not. If management, in any profession, enables these kinds of atitudes, it can have an impact on the culture of the entire business.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Discrimination in Hockey : Sorry I didn't provide a link to every article I read on this subject but that is the basis of his suit against the Ducks.He brought the coaches behavior to the attention of management and he felt no steps were taken to address it.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

That management can be with the minor league team though, I havent seen anything that says anahiem ignored his claims, as far as your comment that its the basis of the law suit, that may or may not be true.

Your employer has to provide you with a harassment free environment, you can file a suit against them for harassment whether they are aware of the actions or not.  Bailey could just as easily have filed a suit againts the minor league team that he was on, or with the coaches themselves, filing a suit with anahiem puts money on the board, it doesn't mean they were necessarily aware, or that they ignored his claims.. Any lawyer he spoke with would have told him you take this suit as high up as possible..