Do you hate Julien?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Do you hate Julien?

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien?:
    In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? :
    You just need to come to the realiazation your not going to change my mind that I think Julien has underperformed in the playoffs
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the Boston Bruins' all-time leader in coaching wins in the playoffs, after being with the Bruins for only 5 years, has underperformed in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : What is obvious is Julien is a better coach when you compare both careers. You threw in Bowness so I can only compare how they did as Bruins coaches which is what you meant in your reply to Fletch. What is not silly is it took Claude four years to do what Bowness in one with less talent. Maybe next time you throw in a gotcha replay to someone that dares criticizes Sir Claude you won't be to offended when given facts back. Somehow I think you will, who knows maybe you won't throw call out threads up anymore.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Criticize Julien all you want . If he messes up then why not ? Does it offend me ? If the criticism is beyond stupid ( see above with comparisons to Bowness ) it will draw a response from me. 

Your facts show me that Bowness did what many other B's coaches have done . Have a subpar regular season and then get knocked out of the playoffs to go along with cya thanks for coaching . Pffft...crap..........Julien ? Cup.

But whatever makes you happy. Did they have an Eastern Conferencece loser parade in Boston with Bowness.

Coach Sandog might have possibly been wrong in the past with criticisms made towards Sir Claude's coaching abilities. He just cares not to admit it. 

P.S. Next time someone talks about Julien let's hope your California speedo doesn't get knotted so far up your butt because of people praising him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

bowness and CJ does seem like an odd comparison, but here are the numbers anyway Bowness - one and only season - 8-7, .533 CJ season 1 - 3-4, .429 season 2 - 7-4, .636 season 3 - 7-6, .538 season 4 - 16-9, .640 season 5 - 3-4, .429 You talk about Bowness and making it to the Conf. Finals with less talent, but when the B's went down to the Flyers, CJ was without Savard, Sturm and Krejci much if not all the way, and ended up with only one win less (Bowness got swept in the third round) and a better percentage.
    Posted by red75

Y'know, there is a certain luck level at playoff time, too.  Nothing against Bowness, but only being there one season completely eliminates the larger sample size that tends to weed out luck.  Its nice that he made a Conference Final the first year, but comparing that to Claude "taking 4 years" to get to one (after the B's hadnt been there in 2 decades coached by ANYBODY), not to mention winning a Cup, isn't proving anything.

If Bowness coached 4 more years, maybe his team doesnt make the playoffs at all. Nothing like quitting while you're ahead.

Barry Melrose made it to a SCF once.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : I agree, but where it concerns CJ, I'll put a little different spin on this comment. It's not just a matter of if the players are good enough or not - It's about what type of player CJ needs on the ice. It's MY OPINION that there was enough talent in previous yrs for the Bruins to have had more success. When I said it was more about the players, I was referring to the type of players he needs to be successful. Talent makes every coach better without question. It's my postion that Claude can be effective when he has teams that play with emotion, high compete level and bring a physical edge to the ice. Those elements will have to come from the players themselves rather than from behind the bench. Motivation and emotion are not CJ's strong suit - But given players that bring that style THEMSELVES - he can succeed-OBVIOUSLY. CJ won a cup- he deserves credit and respect. That doesn't make him perfect either. There were times in the past that CJ earned serious criticism, and sometimes there are still occasional emotional lapses and concerns. But I thought they played there guts out against the Caps. That's really all you could ask from a coach- no complaints because right now they're lacking up front, and that's not the CJ's fault. Hunwick, Wheeler, Wideman Marchand, McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly, Peverly More than just talent - COMPETE
    Posted by JWensink

Here's where the problem lies with some of our past discussions. You said they had enough talent in previous years to have had more success. 

On the other hand I distinctly remember you criticising many Bruins players for not having heart , grit and character.

Talent doesn't go far without some of those important tangibles you've mentioned.

So as far as those teams achieving more success then they had ? No balls = pretty hard to have more success then they did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : I agree, but where it concerns CJ, I'll put a little different spin on this comment. It's not just a matter of if the players are good enough or not - It's about what type of player CJ needs on the ice. It's MY OPINION that there was enough talent in previous yrs for the Bruins to have had more success. When I said it was more about the players, I was referring to the type of players he needs to be successful. Talent makes every coach better without question. It's my postion that Claude can be effective when he has teams that play with emotion, high compete level and bring a physical edge to the ice. Those elements will have to come from the players themselves rather than from behind the bench. Motivation and emotion are not CJ's strong suit - But given players that bring that style THEMSELVES - he can succeed-OBVIOUSLY. CJ won a cup- he deserves credit and respect. That doesn't make him perfect either. There were times in the past that CJ earned serious criticism, and sometimes there are still occasional emotional lapses and concerns. But I thought they played there guts out against the Caps. That's really all you could ask from a coach- no complaints because right now they're lacking up front, and that's not the CJ's fault. Hunwick, Wheeler, Wideman Marchand, McQuaid, Campbell, Kelly, Peverly More than just talent - COMPETE
    Posted by JWensink

Re: Shelley on McQuaid

posted at 12/12/2010 9:53 AM EST

First: 8/12/2009
    Last: 7/24/2012

This is about the culture of this franchise under the direction of Claude Julien.
    Take liberties with our players -cheap shots, intent to injure, career threatening head shots...doesn't matter. All that matters is unemotional, robotic servitude to the passive defensive system. It will never work in most competitive situations as a general rule, and without doubt is doomed to fail in a game that has physical contact as not only an aspect of the game, but an absolute fundamental. If you can't acknowledge that simple truth- then be happy cheering, but be prepared for another brutal disappointment. Just think of the image of Mcquaid lying motionless on the ice while Claude was staring up at the jumbo-tron with that dumbfounded expression on his face - that's it in a nutshell.
    This team is a reflection of it's leader, and that ain't ever gonna work- you can write it down-

oh yeah - if you disagree, you can check the results.

I took your advice about marking this one down. You really taught us morons a thing or two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Looks like I goofed on my nit-picking. My point was what I originally highlitghed. A team can come back from a choke job. I made that point in Yahoo's PuckDaddy a few yeas ago, when the Bruins chocked agaist the Flyers, using the Yankees as an example of a choke job team coming back ... that was when over a 1,000 Yahoo Puck Daddy readers were assuring everybody that the Bruins were headed for a downward spiral for many years).
    Posted by Klaas

I found the 2004 Sox, who got up off the mat after a horrifying Grady-Little induced loss to the Yankees in '03 just to come back on them in '04 and win a WS, to be the comparison to the '11 Bruins, who came back and won after a nightmare end to '10. Especially after coming back from being 0-2 to Montreal, sweeping the Flyers who they choked against the year before and being down to the Biters 0-2 as well.

The Yankees in '09 spent a quarter of a billion dollars on a couple players when they finally won their most recent WS. That can cover up a lot of mistakes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Here's where the problem lies with some of our past discussions. You said they had enough talent in previous years to have had more success.  On the other hand I distinctly remember you criticising many Bruins players for not having heart , grit and character. Talent doesn't go far without some of those important tangibles you've mentioned. So as far as those teams achieving more success then they had ? No balls = pretty hard to have more success then they did.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I pretty much said the same thing. Where we differ is you feel that the coach had no responsibility for the players having no balls- I DO. I have given CJ credit and respect for winning the cup. I would have liked the coach to have held the players accountable for lacking balls- I never thought he did, and I still don't think any different. I could name several examples of players displaying gutless behavior. CJ gets credit for the positives, but to be fair he deserves some responsibility for the failures. I can't imagine that not being a reasonable statement.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Your facts show me that Bowness did what many other B's coaches have done . Have a subpar regular season and then get knocked out of the playoffs to go along with cya thanks for coaching.

Coach Sandog might have possibly been wrong in the past with criticisms made towards Sir Claude's coaching abilities. Posted by Chowdahkid-

"Here, I'll help you ease that frustrated feeling you get when you watch him coach. Rick Bowness..Feel better ?"

Nice try on the sub par Bruins regular season because Boston was without their super star player. So getting past the Sabres and Canadiens were huge for Bowness. FAIL once again!

Yah which Bruins coach in the modern era took the Bruins as far so quickly in their 1st season ? Don't have to go back and look cause I know how bad you are at going back to call someone out. Another FAIL!

"Getting knocked out of the playoffs" might be a worth while statement but it isn't  because it wasn't the 1st or 2nd round which Julien accomplished getting knocked out two times each in Boston before getting to his 1st Eastern Conference and Bowness lost to a pretty decent team with HOF studs Mario and Jagr. Another big FAIL!

PS. Nice comment on the Speedos, thanks for telling everyone what you think about all day. FAIL CHOWDA FAIL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Re: Shelley on McQuaid posted at 12/12/2010 9:53 AM EST   JWensink Posts: 1174 First: 8/12/2009 Last: 7/24/2012 This is about the culture of this franchise under the direction of Claude Julien. Take liberties with our players -cheap shots, intent to injure, career threatening head shots...doesn't matter. All that matters is unemotional, robotic servitude to the passive defensive system. It will never work in most competitive situations as a general rule, and without doubt is doomed to fail in a game that has physical contact as not only an aspect of the game, but an absolute fundamental. If you can't acknowledge that simple truth- then be happy cheering, but be prepared for another brutal disappointment. Just think of the image of Mcquaid lying motionless on the ice while Claude was staring up at the jumbo-tron with that dumbfounded expression on his face - that's it in a nutshell. This team is a reflection of it's leader, and that ain't ever gonna work- you can write it down- oh yeah - if you disagree, you can check the results. I took your advice about marking this one down. You really taught us morons a thing or two.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Hey Duz

Do you know how pathetic it is to be saving a post from 2010 to make a point. I stand by everything I said in that post. Things changed bro, the roster changed, Cam got involved, players began sticking up for each other, CJ was going to get sh1tcanned if things didn't turn around. There was an emphasis on emotion and desperation for the 1st time in a long while. There was a culture change that happened. Pulling up this post, is a confirmation of what I said- which if you had a clue would be apparent to you. If you think the team that didn't respond when Matt Cooke took out Savard, was the same team with the same attitude that won the cup, then maybe you want to read my post again, and try to follow a little closer. So this old post is an insight into your ignorance and disturbing infatuation with my opinions. You need to get out more and experience some life lessons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : "Here, I'll help you ease that frustrated feeling you get when you watch him coach. Rick Bowness..Feel better ?" Nice try on the sub par Bruins regular season because Boston was without their super star player. So getting past the Sabres and Canadiens were huge for Bowness. FAIL once again! Yah which Bruins coach in the modern era took the Bruins as far so quickly in their 1st season ? Don't have to go back and look cause I know how bad you are at going back to call someone out. Another FAIL! "Getting knocked out of the playoffs" might be a worth while statement but it isn't  because it wasn't the 1st or 2nd round which Julien accomplished getting knocked out two times each in Boston before getting to his 1st Eastern Conference and Bowness lost to a pretty decent team with HOF studs Mario and Jagr. Another big FAIL! PS. Nice comment on the Speedos, thanks for telling everyone what you think about all day. FAIL CHOWDA FAIL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Okay I failed in your eyes. Julien is no Rick Bowness. He was an amazing B's coach if compared to Julien.

Now go show those speedos off .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Go eat your tuna and hot sauce stinky lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : I pretty much said the same thing. Where we differ is you feel that the coach had no responsibility for the players having no balls- I DO. I have given CJ credit and respect for winning the cup. I would have liked the coach to have held the players accountable for lacking balls- I never thought he did, and I still don't think any different. I could name several examples of players displaying gutless behavior. CJ gets credit for the positives, but to be fair he deserves some responsibility for the failures. I can't imagine that not being a reasonable statement.
    Posted by JWensink

Agree with this.

But to be fair, some comments made about Julien back then by some were wrong. The naysayers weren't acknowledging the positives that Julien was achieving behind the bench. Everything was all negative from them . It wasn't till after the fact ( Stanley Cup ) that they came out and gave him his due. Too late in my eyes after beating him like a rented mule. 

It was more of a hop aboard the CJ train mindset because previous ideas that were posted before had been squashed with a Cup win. It would have made them look ridiculous if they continued their misguided dialogue against him.

Is this not being a reasonable observation also ? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Go eat your tuna and hot sauce stinky lol
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

......with a side order of poutine . Yum !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Hey Duz Do you know how pathetic it is to be saving a post from 2010 to make a point. I stand by everything I said in that post. Things changed bro, the roster changed, Cam got involved, players began sticking up for each other, CJ was going to get sh1tcanned if things didn't turn around. There was an emphasis on emotion and desperation for the 1st time in a long while. There was a culture change that happened. Pulling up this post, is a confirmation of what I said- which if you had a clue would be apparent to you. If you think the team that didn't respond when Matt Cooke took out Savard, was the same team with the same attitude that won the cup, then maybe you want to read my post again, and try to follow a little closer. So this old post is an insight into your ignorance and disturbing infatuation with my opinions. You need to get out more and experience some life lessons.
    Posted by JWensink

Yeah, clicking bookmark when someone says to "mark that down" was incredibly difficult. You know what would've been easier than your most recent failure of a post? You could've just said you were wrong. That ancient post of yours was from 6 months before the Cup win so let's not act like the team made some magical overhaul during that time. You just had no idea what you were talking about but still chose to attempt to talk down to others who knew so much more. How about this idea? The next time you want to tell everyone how much you know (and how little they do) and then tell people to "mark it down", you should assume that someone might. You could also try being right. Now that would be something.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"BOYS, Don't make me come down there!"
    -Cam Neely

My final thoughts on CJ.
    Great coach, no.
    Very good coach, yes.
    Does the team respond to him? yes
    Does he hold players accountable? yes
    Deserving of an extension? absolutely.
    Do I trust him to guide this team to another Cup? Sure, no reason not to.

To jump into one of the side frays going on...I just looked back at the 91-92 team...I think Bowness must have done a pretty good job in the playoffs, It was the last gasp for the team that had been to the Finals twice and ECF once. I can't comprehend how they made the ECF (and I went to a bunch of those games). Most of those guys on the roster were stiffs

San, you're my homey but I think I can sum up Rick Bowness' coaching accumen. I know it wasn't entirely his fault the teams he coached stunk...but stink they did...and badly.
    Team Year Regular season Post season
    G W L T OTL Pts Finish Result
    WPG 1988–89 28 8 17 3 - (64) 5th in Smythe Missed playoffs
    BOS 1991–92 80 36 32 12 - 84 2nd in Adams Lost in third round
    OTT 1992–93 84 10 70 4 - 24 6th in Adams Missed playoffs
    OTT 1993–94 84 14 61 9 - 37 7th in Northeast Missed playoffs
    OTT 1994–95 48 9 34 5 - 23 7th in Northeast Missed playoffs
    OTT 1995–96 19 6 13 0 - (41) 6th in Northeast (Fired)
    NYI 1996–97 37 16 18 3 - (70) 7th in Atlantic Missed playoffs
    NYI 1997–98 63 22 32 9 - (71) 4th in Atlantic (Fired)
    PHX 2003–04 20 2 12 3 3 (68) 5th in Pacific Missed playoffs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"BOYS, Don't make me come down there!" -Cam Neely My final thoughts on CJ. Great coach, no. Very good coach, yes.  I think I can sum up Rick Bowness' coaching accumen. I know it wasn't entirely his fault the teams he coached stunk...but stink they did...and badly. Posted by seobrien

Career wise absolutely SE Julien is the better coach, admitted it to stinky in my responses. However we were discussing tenures in Boston when comparing recently knighted Sir Julien to past past Bruins coaching records. I agree " Very good but not great".

One GM who coudn't wait to get Brian Sutter who then failed with Neely two years out three in the playoffs after Bowness was swapped. Then you have PC who was really loyal to Claude letting him work out his coaching inefficiencies. Chiarelli has a cup in 5 years for sticking to a plan, Not wild about Harry had one SC as a coach and ZERO in 28 years as a GM.

I expect such responses from Claude's Army and it's a disagreement nothing more. Cheers to both you p00 pee pants!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Agree with this. But to be fair, some comments made about Julien back then by some were wrong. The naysayers weren't acknowledging the positives that Julien was achieving behind the bench. Everything was all negative from them . It wasn't till after the fact ( Stanley Cup ) that they came out and gave him his due. Too late in my eyes after beating him like a rented mule.  It was more of a hop aboard the CJ train mindset because previous ideas that were posted before had been squashed with a Cup win. It would have made them look ridiculous if they continued their misguided dialogue against him. Is this not being a reasonable observation also ? 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Only as unreasonable as it was not to call him out for the Savard non- reaction, or the Carolina and Philly debacles - I think things have changed because they had to. Maybe Claude got too much blame, but he surely deserved some criticism for the way his team handeled adversity. None at all then, doesn't make anybody right now because they won the cup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

When looking at how long it took CJ to reach the Conference Finals as compared to Bowness, you have to remember that it was a lot easier to make it there in a 21 team league than it is in a 30 team league.

The Bruins won 11 rounds of playoff hockey in 5 seasons from 1988-1992.  The current Bruins lead the league (tied with Philly) having won only 6 rounds in the last 4 years.  Since the Flyers haven't won a Cup, it's a fact that the Bruins have had more playoff success than anybody else in the last four years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Only as unreasonable as it was not to call him out for the Savard non- reaction, or the Carolina and Philly debacles - I think things have changed because they had to. Maybe Claude got too much blame, but he surely deserved some criticism for the way his team handeled adversity. None at all then, doesn't make anybody right now because they won the cup.
    Posted by JWensink

What could he have done differently with the Savard incident?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : Only as unreasonable as it was not to call him out for the Savard non- reaction, or the Carolina and Philly debacles - I think things have changed because they had to. Maybe Claude got too much blame, but he surely deserved some criticism for the way his team handeled adversity. None at all then, doesn't make anybody right now because they won the cup.
    Posted by JWensink

There's no "maybe" here. It was a definite yes he did.

I'm not saying that there were posters that were right. What's being said is that there were posters who's opinions were over-the-top harsh and horribly wrong. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Fans always want instant gratification. Ryder takes a shift off? Bench him to teach a lesson. Recchi slowing down because he's old? Sit him down and play an unproven rookie. Close game at the end? Triple-shift your top lines, and nevermind it's Game #23 of the season.

Julien's greatest strength is consistency. It's something that makes me pound my head against my desk, but I would imagine that professional athletes take comfort knowing that they can go to the rink every night and know their role, know what their on-ice responsibilities are, know who their linemates are and go out there and make a living.

There have been a number of stretches when the Bruins have underperformed in the past 5 years. In every case, they come out of it without having to change their style of play or identity or roster. To me, that's the sign of a good coach. The lows don't get too low.

And it's hard not to argue with the facts. All we can ask for is management and coaching to put their players in a position to win every night, and have an opportunity to win it all. By this measure, CJ (and PC) are great success stories.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

When looking at how long it took CJ to reach the Conference Finals as compared to Bowness, you have to remember that it was a lot easier to make it there in a 21 team league than it is in a 30 team league. Posted by goodnewsbears

I think it is harder to make the playofs back then, the talent is spread out now back then it was condensed to 21 teams. Clubs can pad their wins now by beating up on teams like the Islanders and Oilers, you didn't have that in 1992.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanneyJoyce. Show JanneyJoyce's posts

Dont hate the man. REALLY hate the system. REALLY REALLY hate the stubborness.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Julien? : I think it is harder to make the playofs back then, the talent is spread out now back then it was condensed to 21 teams. Clubs can pad their wins now by beating up on teams like the Islanders and Oilers, you didn't have that in 1992.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

The 21-49-10 Maple Leafs were making the playoffs back then.  They had 21 wins in 80 games and made it.  Sixteen out of 21 teams making the playoffs was a joke.  I can't believe you think it was harder to make the playoffs back then.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Playoffs every year he's been here.  They won a damn cup last year.

I honestly dont understand the hate.

Sections
Shortcuts