Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense?

Last night Handzus scored a goal that Timmy never saw because he was blocked by a King forward and Bergeron, who actually blocked the first shot but couldn't reach the rebound. In most games this year the Bruins goalies have been solid, but time and again they have been blind because Chara's immense size or a combination of jamming by other team's BIG forwards with the Bruins defense/forwards blocks a clear view of the puck. In addition the Bruins players in the "stack' do not attack the opposing forwards to regain possession of the puck. The rationale is that shots from the side are less apt to score. The problem IMO is that other teams know what "stack-em" is all about and are finding ways to use it against the Bruins by jamming the net and firing into the jam. What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense?

Teams with skilled defenseman like LA will always give the back off to center ice forecheck trouble day in day out. Krejci, Campbell, Thronton, Marchand and Bergeron were doing a great job of forechecking then after the TV timeouts you'd see the Bruin forwards back at center ice for Julien's "front the puck" method. it's getting old and coaches like Terry Murray know it.

Let the good fore-mentioned Bruins forwards stay in to forecheck. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Sandog , I think Bogie is referring to defensive zone coverage.

Bogie , the Bruins have allowed the least goals in the league .Teams are finding ways ? Curious statement considering there are 29 other teams who have more goals scored against . Blocking shots and clogging the shooting lanes are what teams in the league do now since clearing the front of the net went out the door with the new rules . Everybody does it and as of right now the B's are doing it better then anybody else.

BTW sandog , I'd say by watching last night's game there was a heck of a lot more aggressive forechecking going on then neutral zone trapping and the Kings defenceman were having trouble with it. Agree or disagree ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Disagree after the TV timeouts the aggressive forechecking stopped. Krejci and Bergeron would run to the spoked B and wait for the great young LA Dmen to blow by them. This leads me to believe that Julien was telling his forwards to back off to start the trap at center ice which did not stop the Kings at all.

Kings defensman made Boston gaining the line whenever they pleased. Terry Murray knew it and exploited it. Remember this thread when the Bruins get into the later rounds of the playoffs.

"aggressive forechecking going on"

Only from Campbell and Krejci's lines then after the timeouts they backed off that's coaching. You can go ahead n say I must not have watched the game you watched but watching live you can see this more plainly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Bogie,

It's a pretty common strategy to get bodies in front of the net; especially when your defensemen are so talented like Johnson and drew doughty and generate quality chances from the blue-line; its pretty much a matter of being willing to stand there and absorbing a cross-check in the ribs from Mr. Chara.

But I'll have to pay attention to this, "In addition the Bruins players in the "stack' do not attack the opposing forwards to regain possession of the puck."

I'm not sure that is true, are you sure the bruins players aren't just matched up 1-1, and the stacking is just circumstantial?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense?:
    [QUOTE]Teams with skilled defenseman like LA will always give the back off to center ice forecheck trouble day in day out. Krejci, Campbell, Thronton, Marchand and Bergeron were doing a great job of forechecking then after the TV timeouts you'd see the Bruin forwards back at center ice for Julien's "front the puck" method. it's getting old and coaches like Terry Murray know it. Let the good fore-mentioned Bruins forwards stay in to forecheck. 
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Personally this type of play is necessary when points are at a premium in the regular schedule.  The stacking up the middle imo did not work in the playoffs, ie. the Carolina series two years ago or the Philadelphia series last year.  If the Bs have their skilled centermen back that MAY change.  I will patiently watch for more creative play in February and March.  Hopefully the skilled play will produce more offense to gain advantage of early leads in the games.  Then defensive play becomes very valuable to win the game.  Something Pittsburgh and Washington have not mastered.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Disagree after the TV timeouts the aggressive forechecking stopped. Krejci and Bergeron would run to the spoked B and wait for the great young LA Dmen to blow by them. This leads me to believe that Julien was telling his forwards to back off to start the trap at center ice which did not stop the Kings at all. Kings defensman made Boston gaining the line whenever they pleased. Terry Murray knew it and exploited it. Remember this thread when the Bruins get into the later rounds of the playoffs.                            "aggressive forechecking going on" Only from Campbell and Krejci's lines then after the timeouts they backed off that's coaching. You can go ahead n say I must not have watched the game you watched but watching live you can see this more plainly.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest over what you saw and what I saw. So I'll just have to say we saw two different games out there last night because I disagree with your assessment of what took place on the ice. This is what I watched and you don't have to agree with it all. I seen an aggressive forecheck for most of the night with Chara down low more then any other game I've watched this year ( btw I think the camera does follow the puck so if there's no B's in the picture they are obviously not aggressively forechecking and are falling into the trap . You don't need to be there live to see this ). No doubt, that when the Bruins didn't have control of the puck and had no chance of getting the forecheck going they dropped into the trap like they always do. Was getting 41 shots on Quick more the result of playing the trap or applying pressure in L.A.'s zone ? I know what my answer is and I know you'll disagree .

P.S. Spooner and Knight's teams play against each other today at 4:00. I'll try to watch it and give an update.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-0vie. Show screw-cindy-and-0vie's posts

They will never get far with Jacobs, Chiarelli, and Claude running the show

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense?:
    [QUOTE]Last night Handzus scored a goal that Timmy never saw because he was blocked by a King forward and Bergeron, who actually blocked the first shot but couldn't reach the rebound. In most games this year the Bruins goalies have been solid, but time and again they have been blind because Chara's immense size or a combination of jamming by other team's BIG forwards with the Bruins defense/forwards blocks a clear view of the puck. In addition the Bruins players in the "stack' do not attack the opposing forwards to regain possession of the puck. The rationale is that shots from the side are less apt to score. The problem IMO is that other teams know what "stack-em" is all about and are finding ways to use it against the Bruins by jamming the net and firing into the jam. What do you think?
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]
    If other teams knew how to beat the Bruins defence they wouldn't be at or near the top of the league in that category for 3 seasons in a row.For all the screened goals they may give up I think TT and Tukka would both agree their personal numbers have benefitted from playing goal in this system.I think they will take the 50 or so blocked  shots in between these goals as a tradeoff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OK, good points by all, but IMO teams like St.Louis, as well as Washington in the 3rd game, are compensating and finding ways to land more and better shots. Yes the Bruins have been a solid defense first club, but as other teams adjust it appears that the Bruins will need to adjust, or replace, the skills of their defensemen. In addition, most comments cry out for a "puck-moving" defenseman, but in this system options are limited.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense? : P.S. Spooner and Knight's teams play against each other today at 4:00. I'll try to watch it and give an update. Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I was hoping that game was going to be on NHL Network today but instead an AHL Marlies game was on instead can't have it all.

PS. I wouldn't get into a pissing match with you Chowda because I respect your hockey knowledge as your points are always well taken.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you like Julien's stack-up the middle defense? : I was hoping that game was going to be on NHL Network today but instead an AHL Marlies game was on instead can't have it all. PS. I wouldn't get into a pissing match with you Chowda because I respect your hockey knowledge as your points are always well taken.

Thanks . I always check out your posts too for the same reasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]Disagree after the TV timeouts the aggressive forechecking stopped. Krejci and Bergeron would run to the spoked B and wait for the great young LA Dmen to blow by them. This leads me to believe that Julien was telling his forwards to back off to start the trap at center ice which did not stop the Kings at all. Kings defensman made Boston gaining the line whenever they pleased. Terry Murray knew it and exploited it. Remember this thread when the Bruins get into the later rounds of the playoffs.                            "aggressive forechecking going on" Only from Campbell and Krejci's lines then after the timeouts they backed off that's coaching. You can go ahead n say I must not have watched the game you watched but watching live you can see this more plainly.

^ Jackpot

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's working for the Habs and Price also.  Bruins and Habs are in the top4 of the conference and one of the best defensive teams in the entire NHL.
    Can we just try to find something else to be negative about  ?