Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?

Hey everyone

Just wanted to get your opinion on this. Now that Thomas has had such a great season with the Best Save Percentage, Conn Smythe winner, Stanley Cup winner and likely Vezina Winner, do you think the Bruins would do the unthinkable and actually Trade Thomas in the off season to free up cap space and perhaps go after a big name forward? 

I hope they do not trade him, but something tells me that it might happen.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?

Better question: Would Thomas agree to a trade in the offseason?  Knowing he could be back up he only agreed to two teams last year: Philly and Tampa.  After this year I don't think he'd ever want to leave.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigMonty. Show bigMonty's posts

I cant see it happening. With most of our core players in tact, we could easily make another run at the cup next year. TT is the heart and soul of the team right now, if he disappears, it sets us back a few years, as I dont think Tukka is quite there yet to take over. It would have to be a helluva offer though, interesting to think about.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO it is a reaL possibility, and the contract restrictions are less than this year. Best opportunity for Peter to get a top D or solid sniper. Tuuka and Khudoban are potentially a solid duo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

pc is too smart to trade the best player on the planet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Not going to happen.  Goalies have a good shelf life and with the other players leaving the bruins wont be in a cap crunch.  He plays out his contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?:
    This pains me to say this, but if the deal is overwhelming, yes, they have no choice. Chiarelli is smart and this is where he needs to play Bill Belichick in the cap era. They could risk it and run it one more year, then dealing Timmy before the last year of his deal, but that's contingent on another great year. Tough question, but it all comes down to the deal.  If someone calls up Chia and throws the moon (Top D Man, Winger, draft pick, etc) for Thomas, you'd have to do it. I said this 3 months ago. If they win it, don't be shocked if it happens.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

=======================================================
      Excellent post. But there is no way Thomas gets traded. For one he`s a God in Boston now.And at 37 I don`t see anyone dumb enough to throw the moon at him.It was a helluva ride but I see Thomas finishing his contract out then riding into the sunset.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

two veniza trophys in three years, conn smythe winner, has the best save % EVER in the regular season and was BETTER in the playoffs.

the only way he is traded is for a YOUNG (under 25) top 2 d-man.  the B's have a very good chance to bring this team back and have another shot in 2012, why would they pass that up? 

Thomas and Tuukka are signed through next year (Thomas through 2012-2013) and Tuukka will be a RFA in 2012 (the B's can match any deal for him).  They should go for the CUP again next year and then decide what to do in 2012.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

No, this year has proven that you can win with the current team and don't need another significant forward or defenseman. I'll take the best goalie in the world rather than a top forward.

One year older will mean better for this team given the young core and I think they can make another run. I'd trade him for a franchise player, that's about it.

Bs don't have cap problems so there's no need to trade him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I've come full circle on this one.  TT is a Bruin as long as he wants to be.

If Rask isn't interested in backing up again and I don't think he will be, he'll be the one shopped around the league.  A Rask trade for a player and a prospect should do it but I would be sure to either get a goalie prospect in return or use one of our higher picks to select a goalie.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I can't just see PC doing this. How long has it been since the B's have the position solidified & winning. TT proved he can bring whatever you need to win. He can steal games; he can play in do or die games. He can make big saves in OT! Most bashers biggest issue was he couldn't win game 7's. He's the only goalie to do that 3 times in one play-off year. They said he couldn't steal games. Well he proved that at least once in every series. They said the B's would never win a cup with "floppy" in the net. Not only did he do that; but he won the Conn Smythe.

How can you trade a guy away that puts up these numbers when it matters most.

1.98 GAA
    .940 SP-
    4 shut-outs
    798 saves- new record
    16 WINS
    In the finals
    1.15 GAA
    .967 SP
    2 shut-outs
    238 saves- new record
    Holding the highest scoring & most potent PP in the league to 8 GOALS in 7 games!!!
    Unless it's for a franchise player? I don't see how PC can even think about getting rid of TT until after the 2011-12 season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

They have plenty of cap space, especially if Savard is done.  It would be ludicrious to trade away Thomas.  Although, I would love to see a 1A, 1B switching off every other game type of goalie situation next season, just like San Jose did with Toskala and Nabakov years ago. 

Stick with Rask and let Khudonon walk, or trade Rask and go with Khudonon/Thomas is the real question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

Not a chance. It might even be the smart thing to do, but no way. The fan backlash would be unreal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think the Bruins will trade Thomas in the off season?:
    I can't just see PC doing this. How long has it been since the B's have the position solidified & winning. TT proved he can bring whatever you need to win. He can steal games; he can play in do or die games. He can make big saves in OT! Most bashers biggest issue was he couldn't win game 7's. He's the only goalie to do that 3 times in one play-off year. They said he couldn't steal games. Well he proved that at least once in every series. They said the B's would never win a cup with "floppy" in the net. Not only did he do that; but he won the Conn Smythe. How can you trade a guy away that puts up these numbers when it matters most. 1.98 GAA .940 SP- 4 shut-outs 798 saves- new record 16 WINS In the finals 1.15 GAA .967 SP 2 shut-outs 238 saves- new record Holding the highest scoring & most potent PP in the league to 8 GOALS in 7 games!!! Unless it's for a franchise player? I don't see how PC can even think about getting rid of TT until after the 2011-12 season.
    Posted by nitemare-38

To add to this list - to all those who said he can't play 20 or so games in a row and carry a team - how about 25 straight playoff games?  When it came down to the wire he didn't look like he needed to be rested!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I can't just see PC doing this. How long has it been since the B's have the position solidified & winning. TT proved he can bring whatever you need to win. He can steal games; he can play in do or die games. He can make big saves in OT! Most bashers biggest issue was he couldn't win game 7's. He's the only goalie to do that 3 times in one play-off year. They said he couldn't steal games. Well he proved that at least once in every series. They said the B's would never win a cup with "floppy" in the net. Not only did he do that; but he won the Conn Smythe. How can you trade a guy away that puts up these numbers when it matters most. 1.98 GAA .940 SP- 4 shut-outs 798 saves- new record 16 WINS In the finals 1.15 GAA .967 SP 2 shut-outs 238 saves- new record Holding the highest scoring & most potent PP in the league to 8 GOALS in 7 games!!! Unless it's for a franchise player? I don't see how PC can even think about getting rid of TT until after the 2011-12 season.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Says it all, case closed. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

tt will be a f/a after next season so it might happen

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's great to have so many supporters for Timmy, as he deserves, but that's what makes him a strong trade chip when we all have seen Rask perform exceptionally well, and a backup ,Khudoban, is allready in house, although he will need a new contract. These are Pc's considerations:  Timmy will bring back a big return; Rask has been ready since last year Khudoban has proven value, and will move on unless adequate opportunity is presented. On defense Chara, Seids, Ference,McQuaid, and Kamfer are a workable fivesome; a top notch defenseman, much like Brewer, or a Pitkanen would allow Boychuck to be traded and negate any need to spend for Kaberle. Haven't thought much about a sniper as Caron, Arneil, or Sauve may look as good as anyone else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He deserves to retire a Bruin.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by nitemare-38

atta boy!

Add that he's the only goaltender not have been pulled in this playoffs.
    Right now he's a folk hero, does the Bruins organization want another Bobby Orr or Phil Esposito controversy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

i think he stays. while he is 37, he has played a lot of his hockey in other leagues where the seasons are shorter, so his mileage is low for his age. he was amazingly consistent this year and showed no signs of slowing down. anything is possible and there might a phenomenal deal out there that takes him away, but i think he stays.

Sections
Shortcuts